Brecks Forever Tulips

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Anyone grow these? Maybe they are just new? Anyone ever heard of them? I got one of those Brecks e-mail newsletters in my mailbox as I was silly enough to buy some Dutch Iris from them last spring (big mistake buying there).

http://brecks.com/product.asp?pn=74775

My daffs start early here. In fact some are blooming now. I can not immage a tulip starting to bloom now and then continue to keep right on blooming later when the tulips usually bloom around here. But that is what they claim. They also seem to be quite tall at 30 inches.

One thing I really do not like about Brecks Tulips is that they don't list what class they belong to. I don't like not knowing what I am getting in that way.But I do like the looks of that Old Dutch Tulip mixure with all the vivid stripes.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I don't trust Brecks.

Me neither. Thats why I am asking here if anyone knows anything about these.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I wouldn't trust them with my money - look in the Garden Watchdog!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Curious claim about their tulip, but ditto for me: Absolutely would not bother with Breck's. For anything.

I guess best bet is to ignore them. There is the old saying that if it sounds too good to be true then it's not true.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Save the catalogs...for the pictures, if you use them for a notebook of bulbs grown. I think they spend more money on ads and less on quality products and customer service.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Agreed.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I can't find anything about any of those varieties. Brecks is really bad about giving old varieties their own name and calling them something new. It bothers me when sources don't provide any real botanical info, seems like they don't know what they're selling, or trying to make it look like something exclusive.

I just got the flyer today...and tossed it into the recycle bin. It is too bad that they do not put half of the effort into their acurracy in advertising and customer service, as well as quality of nursery stock as they do into their prolific ad campaigns...so much paper is wasted on these...

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Breck's used to be a good company. But at some point, perhaps because of a new ownership, they have carried nothing but inferior quality. They're as bad as Gurney's now.
The best if probably Brendt and Becky's and John Scheeper's. The Garden Watchdog has a list of their most recommended by members too.

Here it is 2013 and I found this old thread.

Anyone try these? Just curious.

OK, Rita, did you get any?

No, I didn't but they sent me a flyer for them again in the mail so I was thinking about them. They claim they are perennial and multiply year after year. Humm, hard to believe but I guess anything is possible.

I did plant firespray tulips from Brecks last fall, they are up now and I am looking forward to them blooming. Those are supposed to come back each year also so we will see.

I remember when Breck's was good company. I don't know if new management took over or what, but they went downhill from there. The bulbs were smaller, often didn't come up and didn't look like the brochure promised. Stay away.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

When I was a kid, they were THE bulb company. Now, not so much.

Well, actually, I got a medium size order from Breck's and everything was hydrated and looking fine.

Poppy Anemone - Burgundy
Crispa Marginata White and Red Begonia (for DH)
Loddon Royalist Anchusa
Black Stockings Reblooming Daylily
Border Music Reblooming Daylily
Geranium Laura
Fire and Ice Hosta
Sedum Frosty Morn

I'll let you know if there are any problems....

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That's good news, Evelyn!

maybe they changed their ways and decided to reinstate their reputation.
I sure hope so.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images