Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Self-contained Box Gardens: Watermelon 2010

Communities > Forums > Self-contained Box Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Self-contained Box GardensReplies: 34, Views: 370
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 31, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7670277

Took me most of the day to set up just four EBs? I can't believe how weak I've become. I work ten minutes and rest twenty. My balance is horrible as my legs are extremely weak. I went to my doctor yesterday and he confirmed COPD which means my heart isn't pumping enough blood to my body and the reason why my legs are always cold. At night I double the quilt over my legs and during the day I have a space heater in my room by my feet even though it is eighty outside.
Hey! My new garden scooter is a God send or should I say "Son send" as he loaned me the money to buy it. It is remarkable especially with the extra long steering handle. Now if I can only have my little Shih-Tzu back but someday I will.
Meanwhile I will plant my watermelon and cantaloupe seeds tomorrow and Friday I'll buy the fertilizer that I always use. You know 10-10-10. I have also discovered that last years coir does not need anymore lime as my meter reads #7 which is a bit high but still safe.

Made a mistake above. I've had COPD for many months. I meant to say POD..I have so many darn things that it does get confusing.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2010 6:30 PM

Thumbnail by Tplant
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 31, 2010
4:10 PM

Post #7670306

Thanks for Bocabobs coco coir as it is very easy for me to work with but one thing that I noticed. The latest EB offered seem to be larger than the others as I had to use almost a full bale to fill the EB. That's OK as it doesn't make much of a difference to me. More root room as far as I'm concerned. Working under that tent was really great for me as it kept me out of the sun whereas my last heart attack of 06/09/09 I was working out in the open with no shade. Boy was that a surprise to me especially after losing 130 lbs? You never know so all of you be careful!!!!
PS -- I'll leave the cleanup for tomorrow. Enough for today..

This message was edited Mar 31, 2010 7:13 PM

Thumbnail by Tplant

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 31, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7670369

Oh I forgot to mention that my 7 year old grandson made a little heart out of cray paper colored it red and scotch taped it over my heart this morning and said "Here Jajee(polish for Gandfather) this is a new heart for you because I love you and don't want anything to happen to you?" I don't know how he knew as I did not mention my doctor visit results to anyone. Words just failed me at that time. I just love that little guy as he forever comes out to the garden to make sure I'm alright and makes sure I rest and drink plenty of water. Without him life has no meaning to me! I'm a lucky guy...
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 31, 2010
5:20 PM

Post #7670455

Good for you, and I'm so happy for you to have such a fine grandson!

That green chair looking thing isn't the scooter, is it? I wonder what the scooter is. I want something like a Big Wheels, y'know, the low rider tricycle kids have.

Great that you're posting. I sure wish I could help you some!

Regards,

Melissa
joy112854
Crestview, FL

March 31, 2010
8:38 PM

Post #7670948

Great idea that canopy TPlant, yes, grandchildren are the greatest, my grandson loves gardening and helping me also. Can hardly wait to see the results of your planting.
joy
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 1, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #7671359

I think you need the doggie, put up a fight! Whine and groan and fuss enough, and you'll win.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 1, 2010
8:37 AM

Post #7671858

Molamola --- The green thing is my garden scooter which is a blessing for me You can find more info about it from Gardeners Supply Company. Just google it.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 1, 2010
10:41 AM

Post #7672119

The green thing on the left, or the one out in the street?
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 1, 2010
11:27 AM

Post #7672211

OH!! The seat thing kind of in the middle of the photo! Gee, I like that. Hmmm... I bet it'd be fun riding it down this steep hill I live on!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #7672516

Hey, Paw!

Glad to hear you're getting some work done in your garden, albeit SLOWLY and STEADILY!

Question for you. What kinda soil pH meter do you have? I just bought one yesterday. It has the recommended pH levels for 400 different plants, plus allows you to store the pH levels for your "favorites" to a database for EZ reference. It's a Digital Plus Rapitest model by Luster Leaf Products, Inc.

LMK

Thanks!

Linda

P.S. I just opened the package to test it, and I think it's not working! Shoot!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 1, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #7672678

Gymgirl -- Maybe you need new batteries? That is far more sophiscated than mine. Now we know whoose got all the loot! LOL
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 1, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7672691

Molamola -- That would be real fun to watch you go down the hill as it doesn't have brakes. LOL My first one that I had I went downhill and right into the lake where I lived and it wasn't on purpose. Luckily the balloon tires kept it afloat.
PS -- I was on it!
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 1, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7672704

Anyway I could not plant seed today as I can hardly walk as my left leg seems to have lost 75% of its strength so I'm resting. It's Ok though I'm enjoying the break and all I have to do is plant seed and that's no big requirement but I've learned not to push my body but listen to it. Can hardly walk today and my grandson was playing with my cane yesterday and I can not find it? Little squirt loves to chase our cat and use my cane to chase her from under the beds. LOL He won't be home till tomorrow so the cat is getting a much needed rest on my bed instead of under it.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 1, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7673032

TPlant, you gotta come move into my spare room, no joke.

I'll be there next week to kidnap you. Shih-Tzu OK, kitties wonderful, don' know about the little boy.

You need Vitamin D !!! Sit in the sun for twenty minutes a day, hear me?

OK,

Melissa

joy112854
Crestview, FL

April 1, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #7673136

Molamola: I'll take the little boy, he and my grandson would be buds before they knew it. LOL
joy
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 2, 2010
10:13 AM

Post #7674392

What? And leave my watermelons?? LOL
Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

April 6, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #7685062

Tplant, take care, OK?

Annapet
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2010
8:11 AM

Post #7893402

Just an update on my melons. Of all that I planted ,12 plants, the only ones to produce were the Alsweet watermelon for which has provided me with only two watermelons. Normally I always end up giving them away but I forgot to plant flowers in my flower pot to attract whatever bees may be around. I did this last year and had a huge crop. I will be starting my tomatos Aug. 15. Meanwhile I am confined to my home as todays heat index will be 105 to 108 and that would surely kill me at this stage of my life. I must hire a lawn service as my regular service man moved up to Orlando. I hope I can find someone as good as he and his crew were? The weeds are taking over my beautiful roses. I wish I would have planted them in my EBs and then I would not have to worry about weeding?
Ted
joy112854
Crestview, FL

June 16, 2010
1:26 PM

Post #7894328

TPlant: My supersteak tomato plant's roots are coming out through the cover in my EB???? Lots of roots. The aphids are starting to bit my plants, so I ordered my army since the rain won't let up very much, my army consists of 1,000 lady bugs, 1,500 lacewings and I will spray bout 1,500,000 of the beneficial nematoids in the ground, little man will be here and he should enjoy this.

Still got the bug be gone should that not work efficiently. I've had so many tomatoes, my daughter says she is sick of tomatoes, and have been keeping the neighborhood, family and friends well supplied with them also, been hauling in about 4 buckets of maters. Next year, I will plant 10 tomatoes, the four I know for sure that I'll replant are: sweet 100, mountain bells, porterhouse, beefsteak bush, not sure about what others I'll plant; but, the mountain bells produce a prolific amount of delicious cherry tomatoes and the porterhouses are huge, the beefsteak's are sweet.

joy
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 17, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #7896439

Roots popping thru the cover? That is the first I've heard as roots normally don't like sunlite? You must be feeding them Bob's super fertilizer! What are you useing?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #7896665

Hey, Paw!
What things do you use that little tub truck in your first pic for? I've been considering buying one, and would like to know how you use your?
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 17, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #7897691

Hi Gymgirl -- It really has many uses and can compare it to a wheelbarrow. I use it for trash or weeds or to mix container mix and fertilizer for my roses and anything else that comes to mind. I bought it at Lowes or Home Depot. Can't remember but it is very handy for garden work.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

June 17, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7897960

TPlant: It's the Burpees Supersteak, and the roots are just expanding all throughout the entire EB, I'm thinking I'll get some nice tomatoes off that one. I already got one big as a grapefruit off the Burpees Porterhouse one and there is another larger than that one on it now, but it's still green. My daughter went out to try and get some green tomatoes, so felt I had to run out and protect that one tomato. LOL She is actually a little sick of tomatoes by now I think, and I've more than enough for her, I, family, friends and the neighborhood. I give away about 3 grocery bags full a day to someone now, so that they don't spoil.
joy

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 17, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7897984

Awesome Joy! How did you like the taste of Porterhouse? You should weigh these bigg'ens! Do you have a small digital scale? Even with all the disease I'm fighting this year, I'm seeing some really nice sized tomatoes.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2010
8:18 AM

Post #7899238

Im still getting nothing except black cherry's and Green Doctors. My plants are full of green tomatoes after the horrific start with the critters. Crazy thing is, Im usually pulling up my plants by this time. I took some clippings from them yesterday and am starting some fall plants. Im guessing these surely will be done by then. My Aunt Gertie is a good 9 ft tall, you have to check the tomatoes and tie it up with a ladder. Its crazy. Nary a fruit yet tho. It does have more green ones on it tho than I got from last years. Peron is really doing the best in the heat , I dont know what they taste like yet tho. They are loaded with fruit. Not that I wont loose most of those to 'something', just hopeing to get to cut into, and see their insides. Ive only got one hybrid...well I do have big beef, mine is either big boy..better boy, one of those. I will admit that it is doing very well, they might not taste worth a hoot tho.

Yep, that had nothing to do with watermelons, sorry.
I could not keep the bugs out of mine last year and didnt even try this year. Its worse to see a melon with a little hole bored in it than a tomato. Altho Im getting pretty sick of seeing on them too. Lord knows its been so hot here, makes you sick to go out, the bugs have had a week of free rein.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #7899594

I would love to have a homegrown tomato about now but it has been so hot that the two plants that I did have leftover flowered but no fruit and I let the horned caterpillars have their way with them.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

June 18, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #7899746

Hmmmm, where you be around the 5th of July my friend? I'm heading that way. LOL
joy
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2010
10:28 AM

Post #7902734

Thanks Joy but I'll be in Deerfield Beach at that time which is a distance from Ft Lauderdale but again, I do appreciate the offer. I'll just have to wait till Christmas to enjoy mine. I always have tomatos a couple of days before Christmas...
joy112854
Crestview, FL

June 19, 2010
12:59 PM

Post #7903057

I'm having fun sharing mine with everyone here, and there are lots to share, 4 huge bowlfuls alone yesterday and today, glad tomorrow is Sunday, will see a lot of my friends and be able to share some of me with them. LOL

The Burpees Porterhouse is getting to be my favorite tomato thus far and as far as a cherry type, the Mountain Bell is tops. The first I got from Burpees as plants, the latter from Tomato Growers Supply as seeds I started, they are both prolific and tasty.
joy
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 22, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #7910261

Joy --- Is the Mountain Bell in the beefsteak variety?
joy112854
Crestview, FL

June 23, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7914870

No, the Mountain Belle is a cherry tomato, very sweet, crack resistant and disease resistant, and a very heavy producer.
joy
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 17, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7975377

I am so sorry that I did not take and post pictures of my one huge Crimson Sweet that I was saving until maturity because it was a fifty pounder however my seven year old grandson thought he was doing me a favor and broke it off its green vine and dropped it on the way bringing it inside. At first I was angry but afterwards I looked at things his way and he thought he was helping me so I cooled down but I do wonder how big it could have eventually grown?
joy112854
Crestview, FL

July 22, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #7989809

TPlant: LOL Grandsons are the greatest though, my little grandson has been a huge help to me in the garden and I've learned a lot from him (Don't laugh too hard at that it's the absolute truth)! He showed me how to take a pair of pruning shears and trim off leaves and stems so the plant would live and now when he comes down from NY to visit me, he grabs the shears and goes to town on whatever plants granny has growing. I've pulled up over half my tomatoes as they are not producing as well, it's been hot, buggy and rainy lately. I've been brainstorming new ideas on how to protect my plants from bugs too. Most of the ones I like are self pollinating; therefore, I have a plan for next Summer. LOL
joy
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 6, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #8023238

Don't know what will be with my farming this season as my health is failing. I just got home from the hospital yesterday with something new and very painful called pancreatitus. Everything has been against me this year and last year also. My tomato garden must be weeded as because of my neglect the St Augustine grass sent runners across my weed cloth. It pulls up easy enough though but the heat is too much for me. Will have to wait till November and probably buy my plants this season. Home Depot and Lowes do have my Brandywines so it won't be so bad and I will have time to rest ---- again...yet----- still...
joy112854
Crestview, FL

August 7, 2010
10:51 AM

Post #8024991

TPlant: Things went really well up here for myself and everyone who used self watering containers; but, then came the monsoons and then came the bugs. GRRRRR. I found one horned catepillar, a little bitty one and threw him to the ground and squashed him, mostly was aphids and stink bugs. So, I'm making a hoop greenhouse of PVC this winter and covering the whole thing with bug screen greenhouse cloth. Now, I'm doing major cleanups. My poor canna lilies suffered badly as I didn't use Preen this year, my daughter forgot to weed and man, oh man, do I have work cut out for me. My lawn mower died on me, and I have the WorksGT weeder/trimmer on the way, I should be able to handle that myself.
joy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Self-contained Box Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
EB von219 3 Aug 8, 2008 4:01 AM
Welcome to the Self-contained box garden forum melody 44 Sep 25, 2008 3:01 PM
Question about Spinach and EB's? IO1 23 Oct 13, 2008 8:48 PM
Never had one, How do I make my own? tetleytuna 3 Sep 21, 2008 4:46 PM
Threads related to this topic (please read and respond) tetleytuna 23 Jun 24, 2014 3:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America