Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: My water lily just won't bloom

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 82, Views: 945
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
4:47 AM

Post #7671371

Hey guys I'm hoping you can give me some advice. I have a water lily that is about two seasons old, this year will be the third one in the pond. I have no idea what kind it is - I bought it from Lowe's so nothing fancy. It has beautiful foliage and I can already see leaves growing in the pot this year. Problem is it has NEVER bloomed. Last year I added a couple of those tablets you can buy for pond plants but still no flowers. Should I try repotting this plant or is there a trick to getting blooms that I don't know about? How long should it take to see blooms on these? Here's a picture from last year - this was pretty early in the year and by the end of the year the foliage was much larger. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Thumbnail by kjuddy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TXdoodlebug
San Antonio, TX

April 1, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #7671917

Very pretty pond & I'm looking forward to the answer as I have the same problem. Your leaves are ahead of mine but mine are coming up - also bought at Lowe's and didn't bloom last year so I'm hopeful this year. Maybe someone has a good suggestion. I wonder if it could be that there's not enough sun? Mine gets about a half a day, maybe that's not enough. Just wondering.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

April 1, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7671986

Looks from the pic like a shady spot. They need SUN to bloom.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #7672037

I don't worry about fertilizing because the fish fertilize for me. However, your pond tablets may be high in nitrogen, so that all the foliage plants are doing beautifully. Also, you might check the ph of your water.

When I moved into this house, the previous owner had a water lily in the pond with no pot, so I think you'll have to identify it and check with a wet landscaper. When I buy pond plants that float, they do not come in a pot. The seller just pulls them from his pond, puts them in a plastic bag and sends me on my way. When I purchased a water lily kit at a regular garden center, I followed the directions and ended up with nothing. For indoor pond plants (during the winter), I use a 6-inch diameter sewage connector from the hardware store to keep the plants upright, in place and to protect from the fish. I don't know if this helps.
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2010
10:06 AM

Post #7672047

Definitely looks to be too shaded/covered, and as Fish said ... they need a fair amount of sun to bloom.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #7672320

There is an althea bush to the west of this pond but it should be getting 4 or 5 hours of sun a day in the center of the pond. I'll watch it and try to see exactly how much it is getting once the leaves are on the trees. This photo was from last year it is just barely up out of the pot at this point. Thanks for the help.

Cathy - I guess I am confused about the no pot situation - would the plant just be sitting with no dirt on the bottom of the pond?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #7672550

Mine flower from May to early October. My waterlilies are potted - I cannot imagine not having them in pot. With pots, you have better control over your waterlilies. I would be afraid of the waterlilies taking over the whole bottom of my pond if they were not contained - I know they are not as prolific as the lotus, but I don't want to take the chance. Additionally, this would pose a problem when I vacuum my pond in the Spring and the Fall.

Waterlilies will need fertilizing every year - they are heavy feeders and division every couple of years - I divide every other year. I tried not fertilizing last year to see what would happen and I did not have nearly the same lilypad coverage or flowers. Cathy mentioned fertilizers high in nitrogen producing more leaves than flowers - she is correct. You want a higher middle number in your fertilizer formula to ensure more flowers.

Fish Knees is right - Waterlilites need SUN to flower - at least 6 hours of sun. Waterlilies will start flowering when your water temps are about 65 degrees. How much sunlight does your pond get?

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7672964

its funny both the problem lilies should come from Lowes. I decided I was going to have a water lilly in a large container since I dont have a wter garden yet. I bought one at Lowes.. they showed it in a large pot on a deck in the picture on the box.. I get it home and look it up on Plant files... it has a 6ft spread.. its not a dwarf for pots..its for Large ponds..I check all of what they are carrying and they are all the same.. no dwarfs... so I take it back, Then I call corporate and have a long talk with them about the way the vendor is misreprensing stuff and setting people up to fail.. I told them that they needed to hire EDUCATED buyers when it came to stuff like this.. the guy I talked to turned me over to a higher up and he was very interested in what I was saying (thats a first)..
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7673040

I hope my water lilies look like yours this summer, Carolyn. Mine just started sending up pads in the last week, so I'm anxious to see what it does this summer.

I also have a couple lotus seeds I received from a most generous DGer last fall. I'm soaking two of them now to get them going and see how they do. One is cracking open and I can see green inside, which makes me most happy.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7673177

jlj

Let us know what happens with your lotus seedlings... They are fascinating aren't they?
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2010
2:27 AM

Post #7673610

I am excited! Just woke up, and saw the little darlings sticking their green tongues out at eachother! LOL

Thumbnail by jlj072174

mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2010
9:56 PM

Post #7676010

Kjuddy: Very pretty pond. Before I read all the other posts regarding their opinions I thought it was too shady in the picture. Everything looks very green and lush. The waterlilly leaves are smallish but without knowing exactly what you bought it's hard to know the problem. There are waterlillys that can bloom with less than full day of sun but you need to do some research on that. Some lillys bloom more than other types and earlier in the season (which is especially nice for zone 5a and colder-at least we have a chance to get a bloom or two or three . . . LOL!

Cathy: Your post made me confused. Either I am up way past my bedtime or we speak a different language about pond plants. Wet landscaper? No pots? I have mine in pots and one that fell out of a pot-both bloom and one is from Lowes. Most of mine are from TWL. Texas Water Lilys has great information on their website. We do see eye to eye on the middle number of the fertilizer tab being the highest number of the three. If you read this please explain in more detail what you meant-I'd like to hear more (maybe I am missing the boat on updated info regarding pond plants)! :)

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #7678120

If hostas are doing well around the pond, there is too much shade for the lily.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2010
10:39 PM

Post #7678477

Mothermole, sorry for the confusion. "Wet landscaper" was my own speak for a professional who installs and maintains water gardens, which are pretty popular in southern Connecticut. They are generally open to the public and sell plants and fish. Around here landscapers do not do water gardens and seldom carry wetlands plants. One local nursery stopped carrying water plants because of the snakes that got into his pool. I've since found places to get plants much cheaper.

Certain plants are sold in pots, while others are put into plastic bags. Water clover and dwarf sweet iris are sold in pots. When I bought the floating water hyacinths and water lettuce, they fished them out of their ponds and put them in plastic bags. Last summer when I bought a papyrus, that seller also fished it out of the pond and put it in a plastic bag. Since I could not afford the water lilies and lotus plants, I just took a shot that since they seem to be floaters they might not be in pots. I have to tie some of the plants in netting to contain the pots under water.

When I moved into my home 5 years ago, there was a very pretty water lily in the pond, but I don't remember seeing a pot or the plant after the first year.

I can't wait till it is warm enough to put out the warm weather plants!
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #7679609

Very interesting information. Funny how things are so different from one location to another. Try Texas Water Lillies (twl) in the future for you pond plants. Way cheaper! At least look at twl's prices for retail and wholesale and you will see that their retail prices are great.Their plants are great as well!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #7680364

Okay I looked this up and the lily is a 'fabiola' - I wonder why I never thought about how much sun it was getting. I guess because to me it seems to be mostly in the sun. One side of the pond is under an althea tree but the other side seemed sunny, however, I'm thinking that could be the trouble. I guess if I want waterlily blooms I'll have to work on the shade issue:) Also I see that there are some types that will bloom in some shade so maybe I need to get one of those.

Thanks again guys for all your help.
sawpalm
Winston Salem, NC

April 18, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #7716688

Quesion...do koi eat water liliy roots?

Thanks if you can advise. (what to do)?
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2010
8:01 AM

Post #7717846

Mine don't but I read here all the time about koi rummaging through the planter baskets making a mess so they might eat them. However, my dog eats lotus roots and will stop at nothing to eat them . . .
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #7718953

Mine don't either, but again as Linda states, I have read about those that do have the problem.
Gardengirl1204
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2010
12:04 PM

Post #7727612

So I read that water lilies like still water, so not near a waterfall. I bought mine from Lowes last summer and placed them at the oposite end from my waterfall (about 5' away) and they bloomed. I do get a ton of sun so I'm sure that helped.
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2010
12:49 PM

Post #7727688

I read the same about movement but didn't have much choice but to have it near movement due to the size of my pond (not reaaly big). But mine also bloomed. I think sun is the key.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2010
12:13 AM

Post #7729175

My lilies are near water movement and bloom but the movement is minimal. Also, hostas "in" the pond do fine in sun. I experimented with a bunch of different hostas from around my yard and they were great 1st year filler plants. I tucked them in and around the edge of the pond and they were in full sun. I don't know what kind of hostas they were-I inherited them with the purchase of the house!
bobgoestodaves
Parkville, MD

May 3, 2010
5:58 AM

Post #7759489

Don't buy water lilies from lowes ,go to a water garden center or better yet look for a pond supply , even some aquarium stores sell pond plants. You can even order them on line. When a water lily comes in a bag , you are supposed to go home and Pot it. with water lily clay or soil and put little pebbles on top of that. you should fertilize your lily s at least every 4 weeks during growing season. my lily's come back each year an will be in bloom in a few weeks I am zone 7 too. throw away your lily in the compost and start over. look on line for directions on potting lily s. also lily's like standing water , so plant away from the waterfalls.
Elaine

Thumbnail by bobgoestodaves

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
4:29 AM

Post #7768689

This lily is potted up not in the net bag it came in. I trimmed back the althea above it and moved some things around trying to give it more sun and I gave it a good dose of fertilizer as well as splitting it, so we'll see if it blooms after that. If not I won't get rid of it because I still like the way it looks in the pond. Thanks everyone for the advice.
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2010
12:17 PM

Post #7842911

my pond is in full arizona sun. One year none of my lillies bloomed(neither the lillies of my friends). It turns out that the water that year did not get hot enough for them to trigger flowers. Your looks healthy. perhaps as the summer continues, yours will bloom later in season compared to our AZ season. Mine have just started to bloom--it is very hot here now.
Chromatella

Thumbnail by lovetropics

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9087550

Just an update here I cut down my althea tree this spring because it was making a mess in the pond. All those flowers all summer long just made a huge mess plus it was too close to the pond to grow properly. And then guess what after years with no blooms I came home Monday to my FIRST EVER Waterlily bloom.

Color me excited - I think maybe it wasn't getting enough sun:/ I should have known you experts knew the answer all along!

Thumbnail by kjuddy

lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9087552

that is AWESOME. enjoy the flowers.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9088049

KJ

Congrats! That is exciting.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9088821

KJ I just love that! Sometimes the simplest things...
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9088894

Thanks I am enjoying it but I had no idea they closed at night I went out there Monday night and it had disappeared then I realized it was just closed. - ahhh always something new to learn:)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 1, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9105925

Hey Carolyn. those fertilizer spikes you recommended. I got them last fall so I would be ready. When I took them out of the blister pack, each stake was tightly enclosed in a plastic wrapper. I tried to take them off but decided they were supposed to stay on and maybe dissolve. Is that how yours work?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9106315

Mary

I always take off the little plastic sleeve. There is also a little black round sticker at the top that I take off. I just assumed it was supposed to come off, but as I think about it - I think it has to come off so the fertilizer disolves through the holes in the spikes.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 1, 2012
10:41 PM

Post #9106637

Crumb. They don't mention the clear plastic either way. That's what I though too. How was the fertilizer supposed to come out. I will fish out a few and see what happened. Surely hope the plastic dissolved. I figured the fertilizer is a times release and it would leach out through the little holes. You can see the fertilizer pellets in there and they are rather small, sort of like osmocote but much smaller.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 2, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9107111

I finally found the instructions. I feel like an idiot. They printed the 'remove clear plastic cover' in very light ink UNDER the spikes. I never even saw that. Crumb. Guess I better get them out and dig out the spikes. Probably no loss in time. We are sitting at 32F this morning so the water isn't all that warm. There is a little growth from what the plants could pick up from the water. Oh. I saw one instruction that said to push the spikes in 'up to the plastic cap so I am thinking that the plastic cap is supposed to remain on.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9107142

Yes, Mary - I leave the plastic cap on, but I take off the little round sticker on the top of the plastic cap. I don't push the spikes in all the way to the top because my pots are not deep enough for me to do this. I do push the spike in as far as it will go and the holes in the spike are generally buried into the pot.

I never saw the instructions either...
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 2, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9107153

Okay. I get it. I have one shallow pot also and sort of pushed it in at a slight angle to get it all under the gravel. Well, out into the pond. Yuk. It is collllllldddd today. :)
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9110962

Mary, is it seasonably cold for you or are you having screwy weather?

Despite reading directions (or trying), it is not unusual to mess up with a new product. My best is knowing the plastic needs to come off and being unable to even poke a hole in it :)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 5, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9111353

Well, last year was cool like this off and on all summer. So this isn't unusual per se. But we have had much nicer springs than this. I do hope it warms up for my plants sake.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9149400

Carolyn I really love your waterlily picture-what kind is it? Also, I posted last year that my koi don't eat my lilys well that was last year . . . this year all the basket were turned and eaten-I have nothing left except one lotus that I am growing elsewhere. My fish are mostly 12-20" long sop maybe they just need to be bigger to destroy the pond. Also I cut down on their food as last fall there was a ton of poop at the bottom - even with my bottom drain . . . I will have to figure out something for next year to get lilys back in my life and in the pond.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9149675

Linda

Not sure which waterlily you are referrring to, but I have a bunch of different kinds of waterlilies and only know what 2 of them are LOL. What kind of Waterlilies do you have? I know that we had the same problem with the tropical waterlilies that you are having. I came to the conclusion that the tropical waterlilies must taste better than the hardy waterlilies. Another thing - if you are using the unscented clay kitty litter to plant your waterlilies, the koi will go after the clay. They love clay. My fish are larger as well and are do not tear up my hardy waterlilies.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9151812

I gave up on the tropicals the first year-not a long enough hot season for me to enjoy anything. I have had multiple hardy but the koi flip the basket over . . . I have had them in clay but stopped that cause it messes up the pond and the bottom drain. Now I just cover with large rocks. Fish push the whole pot over. And my dog. . . he eats lotus' . . . crazy animals. I will have to build out a shelf for the lilys (with barb wire) . . .

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9158884

I would be happy to trade hardy water lilies with other ponders. I have an over abundance of Mme. W. Gonnere, they are blooming now and are a beautiful pink.

Thumbnail by mittsy

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9162099

mittsy...what are you looking for? I'd love one of your lilies...
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9162256

Mary, we winter in CB, would be happy to bring you a big one in October when we return. You could drive due east until you hit ocean, we are between ocean and Banana river. I could send you a smaller one now if you want. I am looking for Sempervivens to make a Living Wreath. I do have the common hens and chicks but would love some cobweb house leeks.
Mittsy

Thumbnail by mittsy

PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9217445

Such beautiful lilies! I bought a lily from Lowe's last year and it did nothing. Never again. A friend gave me a hardy lily last year and it bloomed all last summer. Today, I had 5 blooms. This is the most at one time. I hope to get a pic of it in the morning. So glad the spike fertilizer question came up. I have never removed the plastic at the top. Maybe this is why I don't have the foliage and blooms others seem to have. I am going the check the package for instructions. Mine are in full sun. Can someone suggest the best place to purchase the tropical lilies and if it is possible for me to overwinter them indoors? It would be great to have a night bloomer. I love the lotus but they are so expensive here. They usually run around $80.00. I would love to try the seed. I am in zone 6.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9217521

Phyllis- please don't spend $80.00 on a lotus. Go to Texas Water Lillies and pre order your lotus. Better yet call them and discuss your weather and zone and they can make recommendations. They also have plants not on the website -just ask them -they're are a great couple. I live in the Chicago area and they recommended plants that will get going quickly in my short summer season. I kept buying "pretty plants" without results cause my season tends to be too short. Now I am doing better with their recommendations. With your $80.00 you can buy a lot from TWL . . . :) Isn't that what we all want? lol!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2012
3:33 AM

Post #9217709

I have some extras in a 5 gallon bucket right now. We divided some for my nephew and had some extras so rather than put them back in the pond, we put them in the bucket. I believe the creamy yellow one is Carnea. The other is pink. Mme. W. Gonnere or Hollandia, not sure as it isn't blooming right now.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 25, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9217966

MotherMole, thanks for the great info. I have been ordering from TWL several years now with mixed results. Never occurred to me to call them and discuss what would work best in my zone - short and cold. I will do so before ordering for next. year.
Mary
PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9218678

mothermole
Thanks so much for the information. I will definately keep this info and call them. I will probably wait till spring to buy the Lotus since I would have to overwinter them inside. I understand some people do this. When is the best time to order Lotus for the next spring from TWL? I like the fact that I can call and discuss my planting zone, pond conditions etc. Have you bought tropical lilies from them?

Mittsy
Is that a tropical night blooming lily? I worked today and couldn't get a pic of my hardy lilies. It looks like I will have 6 blooming tomorrow! I am so excited to see that many blooms. If they are in bloom before I leave tomorrow, I will post a pic of them.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9218720

When you all talk about lotus. Are they the ones that grow wild here in ponds? Bloom is about 6 or 8 inches above water. After blooming they get a very hard pod on them full of very hard seeds.
Florists use them often in arrangements. Just wondering cause I'm close enough to a pond that is loaded with them and thought about wading in and yanking a few out to put in my ponds. These are all yellow blooms. All around the edge of a pond in the middle of town. Guess I would have to ask permission to get a few first. Don't care to make the newspapers. LOL
Bonnie

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 25, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9218766

Hi.

Bonnie, lotus have circular leaves held high above the water level. Lilies' leaves float on the water's surface, are round and have a notch cut into them. Lotus produce beautiful short-lived blooms (2 or 3 days at most) and then, a seed pod forms. That's what florists use in their arrangements. It is said that lotus seeds will remain viable for decades. Mine are in full sun and warm water. I give them fertilizer pellets once a month. They are known to grow wild in Florida ponds.

If anyone here is willing to exchange excess water lilies for proven lotus seeds, please send me D-mail.

Bonnie, if you do go dig out some lotus, be sure to be very careful when digging the rhizomes. Although the rhizome themselves are not all that fragile, the growing tips are much more delicate.

Best of luck with all that.
Sylvain.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2012
1:18 AM

Post #9219004

All my water lilies are hardy and over winter in the pond. Pond depth in the middle is 3.5'. I just push all the container to the middle in October. It freezes over but doesn't have any effect on the plants or the fish, they just go dormant.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 26, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9219233

Mittsy, don't you provide air holes for the fish? I do the same as you but with the pond is frozen over for several months so I provide air holes to let the gasses out.
PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9219302

My pond is also 3.5 feet deep also. When the ice freezed over, I used a pot of boiling water to melt it in one area. Last year was the first winter for my pond so I was worried about the fish and lilies but they did very well. I love gardening but ponds and water plants are new to me. I joined DG and have learned so much. I appreciate all the advice everyone has given me.

Can someone tell me why my foliage isn't as green as others pics I have seen? It has rained everyday for 3 straight weeks. The pond is in full sun. Today is suppose to get to 95 and no rain.

Also, do you know the name of my lilies?

Thanks

Thumbnail by PhyllisJ

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9219335

Phyllis - the lily pads will yellow as they age. You can either clean them out of your pond with your fall clean up or get them now as they will sink and rot at the bottom of your pond. Oberon is correct - you need a pond heater in the winter to allow a gas exchange. If you don't have a hole for the gas exchange,it can kill your fish.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 26, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9219368

We have also had little sun and lots of rain and my lily pads are small and wimpy. I put in some new fertilizer pills even though I also have the all summer spikes in them. I think we just need warmer weather and more sun. I do see a couple of lily buds down there. Now a race to see them bloom or freeze first. lol
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9219514

The first five years we ran an air stone to keep the pond surface from totally freezing over. One winter the pump died and we didn't replace it. The pond totally froze over. In the spring everything was fine, the fish survived and so did all the plants. Now we just take the filters and pumps out and let nature run it's course. It's been ok for 25 plus years.
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9219531

We remove our pump in winter and plug in a small "floating-rock" heater. It doesn't heat the water. It just creates a hole in the ice to let the gases escape. It has an automatic thermostat that kicks on when the water temperature is below 35 degrees. We've never lost a water lily or fish because of ice. Our pond is only 3 ft. deep in the center.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 26, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9219543

Mittsy, how long do you estimate your pond is continually under ice?
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9219552

3-4 months.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9219555

I asked DH how big the pnd was and he said 15' to 16' across, it's sort of round.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9219562

These photos were taken with a disposable camera so please forgive the poor quality.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9219658

Mittsy

How many fish do you have? The guy down the street from me had his pond heater die during the winter and he did not know it. He lost all of his fish - he also had a large fish load.

Your pond is nice - I'd love to see more photos.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 26, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9219725

It is indeed nice. Love the iris around the edges. So it has a bog area on the inside of the path then more iris in soil on the outer edge? It is amazing that your fish can survive. Yeah, that's the next question Carolyn. How many fish share the oxygen over the winter.

Oh, and how many to produce gases...

This message was edited Jul 26, 2012 2:40 PM
PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9219899

I will certainly look into the floating rock heater. Thanks for the info. I think of my fish like babies lol. I couldn't stand the thought of losing them. I only have 9 at the moment. We take our pump and filtration system out in the winter. Our whole pond is probably closer to 4' deep. Last year we only had the pond freeze over a few days. It was a very mild winter though.

Mittsy, your pond is beautiful.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2012
1:21 AM

Post #9220100

Phyllis

I take out my pump and filtration systems for the winter as well. They spend the winter in my cellar and I have 2 heaters that I use. Last winter was barely a winter for us too - not that I am complaining about that. Better safe than sorry I think.

Carolyn

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2012
2:49 AM

Post #9220108

The fish population started with 25 feeder fish and gradually grew over the years to 75 plus, It's hard to get an accurate count when they are swimming. We do have raccoons and Great Blue Herons. So they disappear from time to time. At last count I got up to 35 before it became too confusing. The biggest fish at the moment are 7"- 8". There are lots of dark ones which I don't count as they blend in with the rubber liner. I'll try to get some more pictures of the pond today. I really need to thin out the water lilies but it is such a chore.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9220566

mittsy, your pond is soo beautiful.OMG you are into everything. I want yout energy.
Started on this site as we have a large pond here in NJ where I am now as you know. If you have any water lillies to trade for fabric or perhaps some indoor plants i am hoping... Helene
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9220888

Helene

Tell us about your pond. Do you have any pictures? I wish I had Mittsy's energy as well?

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9221187

Helene, I'd be happy to send you a couple of water lilies, I have a pink and a creamy yellow (hardy waterlilies) in a bucket right now. You can have them for postage. I'll take a few pictures.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9221268

Sorry, no open blooms as it is cloudy and lightly raining. I'll have to wait until it clears up.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 28, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9221410

OHHH Mittsy you are the best. ll take pix of our pond next week. Getting the CD to install the camera on the lap top. (forgot mine in FL) then i'll be able to post pictures.
gladly pay for the bulbs. Turning to water gardening as the deer eat everything inlcuding house plants that are against one wall outside. We have over 5 acres here too $$$$ to fence in. Hostas, SalomonSeal other stuff all gone DD planted a lot of annuals, all gone, so sad.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9222538

so this is our pond. and trickling water ways (here I'd like to plant some Japanese primulas and LA iris)

Thumbnail by helenethequeen   Thumbnail by helenethequeen   Thumbnail by helenethequeen

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9222540

these are housplants DD puts outside. Deerdamage on the Rexbegonia, These can be propagated from leave.
i am posting here just because I talked about it.

Thumbnail by helenethequeen   Thumbnail by helenethequeen

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9222718

Beautiful Helene. Is your pond in OH or Fl? It looks like a natural pond - is it?

Love your houseplants too.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9222781

Same question and do you have fish in your pond? Those trees remind me of where I'm from in Conn.
Bonnie
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
1:15 AM

Post #9223238

Helene is spending hurricane season with her daughter in NJ.

Waterlily Carnea

Thumbnail by mittsy

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9223467

yes, just as mittsy says, pond is in NJ. yes all natural spring fed. Connie just like CT. I used to have a summer house on Candlewood lake CT. lived in NYC and then queens NY when we had he summer house. Yes we have fish/ frogs and other stuff. No koi natural replenished fish.

those houseplants are dessert for the deer here. She also has about 15 A violets inside. She is just like her Mama. The begonia that was eaten by deer can be grown from leave.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 30, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9223555

I finally have one brave little lily bud surfacing. Thanks to three days of sun and warmth after a week or so of steady rain. Course when I got up this morning it was raining again. Figures. Our state fair starts this week.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9223928

kjuddy,
Did you ever get your shade issue settled? Are you getting any water lillys to bloom now?

BTW, never growing any I would like to know how long once you plant them in a pond do they normally take to bloom?

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9224044

Bonnie

Waterlilies need water temps of 60-65 degrees. They need at least 6 hours of sun to bloom. They would bloom non stop in your pond and they do contribute to the ecosystem.

http://theponddigger.com/water-lilies.php

Thumbnail by Carolyn22   Thumbnail by Carolyn22

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9224086

jesssessss they are beauties. thanx for pix
FountainMan
McKinney, TX

July 30, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9224333

I've got mine in part shade and they do well. Of course the trees are parallel to the sun at least during the morning they get about 4 hours. Maybe the extra 2 come from the afternoon? One thing I've noticed. I'm monitoring the water's temperature and the lilies seem to stop flowering then the water is in the 80's. 70's they bloom like crazy. This is the Nymphaea Attraction variety. Not sure but I think all water lilies need 60's-70's.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America