Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: Have ? about collecting lettuce / arugula seeds

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #7672743

I've let my winter arugula and lettuce go to seed. Do I just cut off the flowers, put in a paper bag to dry out ?
Dorkasaurus
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7673061

Once about half of the flowers have shriveled/produced a seed I usually just chop off the stalk and let it dry a few weeks before crushing it with my fingers and saving the seeds. This is also how I treat basil, coriander/cilantro, parsely, etc. You don't need to do anything special to save these seeds.
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

June 11, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9161067

ANOTHER QUESTION
Here in Brooklyn NY, we had a very mild rainy winter of 11-12, despite some weather weird-ing ie the October Blizzard.
We only had about three low temperatute cold snaps, still I was suprised at the things that overwintered - oregano, thyme, and cilantro.
The cilantro plant grew about 31/2 feet high. Yes the cilantro flowers do look like baby' s breath!
Now the plants have bent all the way over to the soil, and have plenty of seeds. Are these seeds ready to save for seed?
They are mostly green in color, not brown. At this point I want the space in the garden.
Can I use them for coriander spice?

ridoodles

ridoodles
Warwick, RI
(Zone 6b)

June 12, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9162869

HeatherY ,
Thanks for sharing this info. Im a beginner with veggies just started Cilantro growing this year. I wish I could answer your.question. I just started my from seeds in april. I need to transplant into larger pot.
But if I were you Ide try and save them..its all an experiment sometimes.Good luck..
Here is apic of my snow peas I started from seed...we are getting pelnty now off these beautiful plants..here is a flower from one..

Thumbnail by ridoodles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America