Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Scottish Osprey Nest

Melbourne, FL

The female Osprey is back awaiting the arrival of her mate. However, she is being challenged by another female for the nesting site. Here is the new camera link http://www.swt.org.uk/wildlife/webcams/loch-of-lowes/

This message was edited Mar 29, 2011 12:46 PM

This message was edited May 15, 2011 11:14 AM

Melbourne, FL

The female from previous seasons is working on the nest with a new, younger male.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Yah, I was sad to see that Eric, the previous male wasn't there this year.

Melbourne, FL

I wonder if he perished during their long trip...or perhaps decided to find a less demanding female?

Melbourne, FL

The 25 year old female laid an egg this morning.

Marlton, NJ

Oh Bless her heart!

Melbourne, FL

This female has returned to this nest for 20 consecutive years! Amazing!

Marlton, NJ

she is beautiful!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh man..don't know if I am up to this after last years roller coaster ride! Maybe a good thing that she has a different, younger mate.

Melbourne, FL

I am really hoping for just 1 chick. Last year was painful, watching them almost starve....but hopefully this younger male will provide better.

PERTH, Australia

She has laid an egg!

Melbourne, FL

Second egg has been laid.

Well darn....

Melbourne, FL

Cam is not working currently, but according to the blog, she has a third egg. It is a nasty, cold day there, and she had ice crystals on her back in the morning. The male failed to catch her breakfast, so she left him to incubate the eggs while she fished.

Cam is back up now....calling for her mate.

Melbourne, FL

Around 10 days to first egg hatching.

Melbourne, FL

A bit of drama last night. It seems the female flew off leaving the young male to sit on the eggs. He got bored after a few minutes and took off, leaving the eggs unprotected for almost a half hour. It was cold, and everyone is hoping the chicks came through OK. The first egg should hatch around the 20th.

oh dear...this nest just seems to always have a drama!

Melbourne, FL

First baby hatched this morning.

Hope they have an easier time this year!

Melbourne, FL

Here's a bad pic of the baby. The young male has stepped up his game and brought back 5 fish to the nest yesterday.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Marlton, NJ

Wow I just watched them and it's so neat to see that tight shot of the chick and Moms giant feet!

Melbourne, FL

Trouble with the camera now, but hopefully it will be fixed soon because there is a crack in the 2nd egg.

Melbourne, FL

2nd egg hatched early evening....but too late for it to get a meal....hopefully the male will bring back a fish first thing in the morning for the babies.

PERTH, Australia

Two chicks being fed at present

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Marlton, NJ

Aww that's great!

What is the time difference for Scotland?

PERTH, Australia

http://www.happyzebra.com/timezones-worldclock/difference-between-Indianapolis-and-Glasgow.php

There you go, nanny. Scotland is 5 hours ahead of you.

Thanks Margaret!

Melbourne, FL

The young male is doing so well, delivering fish around the clock for the female and babies. The other day at work I had to go back out to my car, and when I stepped outside, saw an Osprey right over me, heading to the nearby river. I walked just a short distance to my car, and when I was coming back, here comes that Osprey, hanging onto a small fish! I mean, he had to have caught one the first try. They are such awesome birds.

PERTH, Australia

What a cool experience to have whilst you're at work.

PERTH, Australia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQQCjC7bm8E

The link to the hatching of the first chick at Loch of the Lowes is on the Blackwater Osprey site. This is video #2 and is pretty amazing.

Melbourne, FL

Never thought to check youtube, Margaret....thanks.

PERTH, Australia

It was only because I was checking on the Blackwater site and they pointed to the videos.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

fyi, blackwater has all their stuff on You Tube and you can subscribe

PERTH, Australia

Trust you to know that. LOL

Momma is feeding the chicks...they panned out and showed dad perched nearby which is kind of cool!

PERTH, Australia

I cannot believe how fast these chicks have grown! Ours grow at such a slow rate by comparison. The third egg never hatched, but is still visible in the nest.

Marlton, NJ

Their looking great!

Melbourne, FL

The young father is providing plenty of fish, so there has been practically no fighting between the two chicks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.