Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

CLOSED: DD April Houseplant Swap-Chat & Secret Housemates Revealed

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Chit chat's open for our houseplant and/or tropical plants reveal......

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1076777/

Your package should contain a minimum of three (3) healthy houseplants. Rooted cuttings are acceptable if your Housemate agrees.
You may wish to include optional related Houseplant items. Perhaps a water globe, a mini gardening flag, a whimsical garden stake, a pair of gardener’s gloves, plant markers, houseplant fertilizer sticks, a gardening book or magazine, fresh 2010 seed packets just for a few suggestions.
Value of your plants should not exceed $20.
Please send your Housemate’s package by Priority Mail no later than Thursday, April 22nd.....Earth Day.

Go Green & Think Spring!

Here's the link to our "wish lists"

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Reserved for our participants

rvnsbrk / Juanita received from tishrh
diamond9192002 / Anita received from NYVOICES99
FruitofTheVine / Susan received from blueskyfd11
GAgirl1066 / Paula received from jsxtiger
blueskyfd11 / Sandy received from happgarden
NYVOICES99 / Anita from froggies_girl
froggis_girl / Julie received from rvnsbrk
dispatcher1 / Lou received from cat64129
cat64129 / Cathy received from GAgirl1066
Machikoneko / Marsha received from dispatcher1
rouxcrew / Joy received from FruitOfTheVine
tishrh / Tish received from Machikoneko
happgarden / Joyce received from diamond9192002
jsxtiger / Joyce from rouxcrew

This message was edited Apr 27, 2010 4:57 PM

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow, I am first here. I have got to stop these late nights.

Rossville, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi everyone. So happy and excited to see Dirt Diggers are still going strong. I've missed everyone. My flighty personality has brought me back to DG, gearing up for the season gardening.

Winter was tough, classes were tougher, and now winding down my schedule to get busy in the garden. I hope to participate in some swaps, as I have so many things I can trade.

I can't forget that I still owe someone some hosta's as they will be the first to go out. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm here!! Busy day so off to the races. Be back later.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Wowzer we have early risers....LOL I am at work so don't tell anyone I am on here.... ;D

Glad your back Iratliff, classes can comsume a large amount of time. I am like you energized since we have had a few nice days, actually we have had beautiful days. Saturday 50's and rainy...not so nice....

Got my secret swap buddy and I am excited to get stuff mailed.

Everyone have a great day.

Mount Vernon, OH

I am here and I got my secret buddy too. Will be sending my box soon since I have everything about ready. :o)

tishrh, you are not only early you are on the ball.....I think you get the worm! Early bird and all that.

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

I'm here, got my name & will let you know when it is on it's way:)AnitaNY

Hi lratliff29, long time no see girlfriend. We'll have to work on getting you back in some swaps. This is a running list so far:

Rossville, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks! I'm checking it out now. Looking forward to participating. I have a lot of things, too many and have to separate.

BTW, all the things from last years swaps are coming back and I'm soooooo excited to see them grow.

Iratliff, isn't fun every year to walk the garden and see the plants you swapped for. I was just doing that today as a matter a fact. I have just received some of the most wonderful plants the last few years.

Mount Vernon, OH

hello! 2 questions before I send. Lol. how do you know if your secret housemate will take cuttings? I have something that is considered a cutting BUT is started rooting (few roots needs more). Really think he/she will like it.....but don't know if I should send...

Do we list confirmation number on here? or dmail it to someone.

Hi Tish,

Sounds like a healthy cutting so I'd say it's OK to send. I won't mind cuttings either, don't think I had that in my likes.

Would each of you please D-mail me your Delivery Confirmation number? Some of us not in the addy exchange prefer our info remain private. Also Del Confirm #'s are sometimes easy to track and could end up spoiling your Housemate's surprise. Hope that makes sense.

Right on FOTV....I am not on the addy exchange either and would prefer that the confirmation not be posted on the site thread. And you are correct I am like a little kid at Christmas I will peek if I have the slightest opportunity and then be disappointed because I know.....go figure.... :D

Cuttings are fine with me if they are easy to root, I sure wouldn't want to lose them because of my failures....

Thanks, happ. If I hadn't made the matches, I'd be right there with you checking the numbers too...LOL

Two of you kindly let me know today that you've mailed your Housemate's plants. Please watch your mailboxes and also share photos of your newest plants or cuttings. The fun is on!

Mount Vernon, OH

I mailed my box today.

fruitofthevine: dmailed my confirmation number to you.

To secret housemate (when you know it's you): I hope everything gets there fine. If it gets there not in good shape please dmail me so I can fix it. But I hope it arrives safe and you like everything!
Tish :)

Got it Tish and thank you! You're so sweet willing to replace plants.....I bet everything you sent arrives in great shape and will be much appreciated.

Please check your mailboxes and porches. Another box of plants were delivered on Wednesday.

Mount Vernon, OH

I hope it gets there fine. I am a worrier. Lol. I just like to be treated as I would myself. Someone should be getting a box today or tomorrow. Have a wonderful day everyone! In Ohio it is cooler this week as it was previous week but the sun is shining and you can tell spring is hopefully on its way with the trees budding and the spring flowering trees a flowering.

Tish, I know what you mean, I would be horrified if my plants I sent weren't good when they arrived. I worry alot about that actually. Once like a dork, I mailed the box to the wrong person in the summer......well you can imagine what those plants were like when they arrived at the correct persons house. But like you I was more than happy to fix the mess up......I felt like a nut! Luckily everyone I have dealt with on DG have been wonderful. Good thing cause I don't always have it together...LOL

Another beautiful day here, but I will be working so no fun for me.... ;(

Mount Vernon, OH

So far everyone here has been real nice with trading too. I just worry you never know.:o)

and I know what you mean, I am getting ready to work too. Nice outside and I have yard "play" to do. lol.

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Tish, your package is on it's way! Hope you like it! Open carefully; there's some good stuff in there. (sorry, can't locate the tracking number at the moment....)

This message was edited Apr 12, 2010 1:48 PM

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I got a wonderful package today from Tish!!! The plants were in superb condition. Would that everything I ever got came in that great a shape.

There were 5 wonderful plants, none of which I have at the present. There as a snake plant, a ti plant, pepperomia, diffenbachea, and one that I'm not sure about.

There was also a super begonia tuber which I will pot this week and enjoy all summer I'm sure, as well as a darling garden sign (how did you know little signs are my weakness), some coleus seeds and some glove in a bottle packets that will go in my truck for those times when I get into God know's what. :))

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

The other goodies....

Thank you so much Tish and you can be my secret buddy anytime. :))))

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

LOL happ, I remember that and almost did the same thing yesterday.

Good looking plants, Neener. You did great, tish. See how we worry about our babies being on the road?

blueskyfd11 went far out of her way to please me and found a local DG'er who sent a Sweetshrub Bush, a "very special want" on my list and absolutely made my day. I planted it on my B-day last Friday and it's doing great. Thank you, hon.....I'll never forget you for this!

My box went out today so get your potting soil ready, Housemate!

Mount Vernon, OH

rvnsbrk- so glad that you liked your plants and stuff and that you didn't have them. It was so hard to decide which ones to send. I do not know the name of the last one, one i haven't figured out. That is why it is an extra. lol. I have one and I really like it though. I love little signs too. :o) I am happy also the babies made it in one piece and good condition. Lol.
Thanks for being my secret buddy.

fruitofthevine: I always worry. lol. and so far so good on all my trades.

Mount Vernon, OH

I had to take a picture first, I received the package yesterday.
Thank you so much for the secret buddy package, Marsha! I love EVERYTHING in it. I do not have any of these plants. In the package was chlorophytum 'fireflash', haworthia limifolia, ponytail palm, tradesantia variegata, selaginella, and moth orchid. thank you again for being my secret pal! I love everything in it and already have it all potted up ready to grow!

Thumbnail by tishrh

If y'all keep this up, I need to revamp my houseplant 'want' list. Wow, Tish, those are great and Thank you, Marsha, for making her day!

I forgot to include a pic of the Sweetshrub Bush Sandy sent me so here it is on April 8th before I planted it.

And today I received Nephthytis "Exotic Bold", Dracena "Florida Beauty", Plectranthus "Mona Lavender" and White Vietnamese Dragon Fruit. I've never had the pleasure to grow these and have only heard of the Dracena.

More to come.....

Look what unusual seeds she sent too. If the Macadamia Nuts take 1-5 months to germinate, by-crackity I need to get going!

Drawf Blue Jade Sweet Corn (Heirloom)
Melaleuca alternifolia "Tea Tree"
Romanesco Cauliflower (Heirloom)
Johnny Dewlen Blue Dent Corn (yes, it's an Heirloom)
and those infamous Macadamia Nuts.

I'll do my best with the seeds following your instructions and hope to post pics of seedlings. I couldn't believe in addition to the Sweetshrub you send another box.

Thank you, sweetie!

Trish, I have a pony tail palm at the office on my desk. It is so happy there. They truley love being indoors. I have a window but because my boss collects art work, we have special blinds so the uv doesn't hurt the art work, it also doesn't let sun in.....so sad. Anyway it has grown so much it is amazing. Mine came in a very small pot. I have not tried to replant it.

Beautiful plant FOTV, everyone is getting special arrivals....so exciting.

Mount Vernon, OH

I love ponytail palms, I tried to start some red ones by seed but they never came up. I am happy to have one now, always admired them, but didn't own one. I get to move around at my job and there is usually always sunshine except cloudy days. I think ponytails don't like to be repotted much....

Glad to hear that pony tails don't like to be repotted cause I really don't want to repot it. A red pony tail, I will have to look that up. I remember living in Texas and one of the guys I worked with had a pony tail palm and it was huge and I have always wanted one like that, so when I got the chance to buy mine I jumped on it. Mine has two sets of pig tails....LOL My Mom had one but her cat kept eating it, which I find amazing cause the leaves are kind of sharp.

tish & happ, When I moved to California 20+ years ago, my BF then who's now my SIL (and still my BF...lol) adopted my little Ponytail Palm in a quart size pot. She lives in the greater DFW area now and when I visited her two years ago it was HUGE, felt just like I was visiting an old friend...LOL They do like to be pot bound and don't need to be repotted except every 3, 4, or 5 years. Such a cool plant!

One of our Housemates received her plants last week. Please don't be shy to list the ones you received and also reveal your Housemate's name. We're like kids in a candy store, so if you can post a photo that would be doubly great.....we're all photo driven plantaholics and there may be a few you received we'd also like to try :)

Mine were delivered this morning and a notice was left. The wait is killing me!

Oh FOTV, the dreaded notice and the wait......horrible....LOL

A beautiful day here, rain tomorrow and temps are suppose to start dropping. Low's will be in the 40's, guess I will drag the big ee back inside.......darn I was hoping I could drag everything out not in....well it is really just April.....

This message was edited Apr 14, 2010 9:25 PM

It was cloudy & down right chilly, only in the mid-60's this afternoon. It's doesn't seen right after getting used to 80+ days and then having to pull on a sweatshirt and find a pair of fuzzy socks. Guess though that's a typical fickle April day.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Cold as heck here this morning. I have things outside like brugs and hibiscus. Hasn't been down to freezing, but I'm thinking they may have some cold feet this morning. Oh well..toughen 'em up a little. :))

Still beautiful here, but rains coming this evening along with cooler temps, like a 20 degree drop....like you all. Suppose to have a non rainy weekend yeahhhhhhhh! Going plant shopping and junking Saturday all day and then playing in the garden Sunday!

Ocean Springs, MS

Got my beautiful houseplants yesterday!
Rick rack cactus
Crown of Thorns (so glad because my other one froze!)
Jade Plant
Silver Squill
lemon button fern
African Milk plant
and a beautiful handmade card!

Thank you so much, my secret friend, for being so thoughtful and generous! I love all of it!

This message was edited Apr 16, 2010 6:00 AM

Thumbnail by froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

Here's the card!

Thumbnail by froggies_girl

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.