Photo by Melody

Article: Pruning Your Forsythia - It's Time!: You got confused...

Communities > Forums > Article: Pruning Your Forsythia - It's Time!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Pruning Your Forsythia - It's Time!Replies: 1, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Elysia
Patchogue, NY

April 1, 2010
9:20 PM

Post #7673448

Sorry to say, you don't prune the NEW wood, you only prune the OLD wood. Forsythia blooms on year-old wood... which means the new shoots from this year will bloom next year. If you prune off your new shoots, you won't get diddly squat next year.

The rule goes: Once the flowers have faded, cut back 1/3 to 1/4 of the OLD wood, which is easy to recognize because it's not green like the new branches. Leave the new branches to grow, as they are the ones that will flower the following season.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #7674363

"Forsythia form the next year's blossoms during the season after they bloom, in other words, during the late spring and early summer." is what I said, but I also said to cut off the green tips, Of course you're right, for forsythia that is blooming. I was mostly speaking about the old, neglected forsythia with few blooms.

Thanks for your comment!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Pruning Your Forsythia - It's Time! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
pronunciation sallyg 17 May 27, 2009 9:04 PM
Forsythia Ladybeetle 1 May 25, 2009 7:18 PM
DEAD FORSYTHIA REBORN!!!!! HILLHEAD 11 Sep 1, 2010 8:44 AM
spring pruning plants - forsythia incl. pspiersy 1 May 26, 2009 2:04 PM
suckers paulaj0 3 Jun 28, 2010 7:11 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America