-
AuthorContent
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 2, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7675042

Here is my little indoor bonsai 'Amber Rose.' I am twining two trunks around each other as they grow. And you can see the curl of wire I am using to support the trunk until it thickens. There is also a short piece of bamboo holding up the one end. And the bit of grass you see in the corner has a very, very fine blade which will lend itself well to being kept short.

Thumbnail by PedricksCorner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2010
9:35 AM

Post #7699616

Yesterday it was hailing here, so I brought the three original bonsai efforts inside and did some pruning and wiring. Now, remember, I have never done this before. So this is a learning experience for me. You are welcome to chim in and give me direction, or participate with an effort of your own. Here is F. magellanica molinae

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2010
9:38 AM

Post #7699628

I'd also like to mention that I intend to "think outside the box" in this experience. In other words, I am going to follow personal inspiration in my forms instead of traditional forms. Here is 'Vinegar Joe' after his first cut. Remember, this is a process and they do not look anything like they will when "finished." Are bonsai ever really "finished?"

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7699641

If you look at the original bonsai fuchsia thread, you'll note how big these guys got from their original size last October. And I have to confess that using 'Preston Guild', my personal favorite, was probably a mistake. It is going to need a very large bonsai pot when it is time to wire the root ball and transplant him.
I had my first big disaster with 'Preston Guild', one of the major branches snapped because I tried to bend it too far, too fast. I left a stub because I want to see what I can do with what it produces before I go and cut it off. For now, it looks awful. We'll see what happens with it. This time I remembered to take a before photo! This is before.

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2010

Post #7699644

And this is after.

clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #7720963

That is incredibly beautiful. Thanks for posting pics. My gardening partner was to do that, and these will certainly help her figure it out.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2010

Post #7804272

'Amber Rose' is continuing to do very well as an indoor bonsai. The other three are all outdoors and doing well also. 'Amber Rose' was a perfect choice, as she doesn't grow anywhere near as fast as the others. I think this one is going to be a winner in a few years once the trunks has had time to develope and thicken.

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #7804279

F. magellanica molinae was probably not a good choice at all. But I am a bit surprised that this one is lagging so far behind the 'Preston Guild' and the 'Vinegar Joe.' But happy at the same time because I really want the trunk on this one to be different, so I have two braches going in two different directions.

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #7804328

'Preston Guild' is still recovering from that bad break. It is going to look ugly for a while! But he's blooming, so he can't be that sad about it ;-)

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #7804335

And 'Vinegar Joe' is just going to town!

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2010
9:22 AM

Post #7954932

Just a few progress pics. Amber Rose is still living indoors on a windowsill that gets full afternoon sun for about two hours before the shade of the trees takes over. She has just been trimmed up and I took her outside for the photo. Doesn't look like she is much different. But one doesn't want a bonsai to grow fast! Next time I will try to get a close up and you'll be able to see the thickening trunks I have twining together.

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #7954936

Her outdoors counter parts continue to do well. Here is Vinegar Joe. I haven't trimmed up these three guys in a while. I'll post new photos after I have.

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2010
9:25 AM

Post #7954940

Considering I have six foot hedges of F. magellanica mollinae planted about the same time as this bonsai, it is remarkable that it has stayed so small with little effort. Probably because of the size of the pot.

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2010
9:26 AM

Post #7954945

Last but not least, Preson Guild. Which is probably too big of a fuchsia to be using as a bonsai. But of the three, it is the F. magellanica mollinae I'd of thought was the mistake!!

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #8063262

Update on the indoor bonsai 'Amber Rose'. This November, it will be on year old! And as you can see, it is doing very well and not outgrowing it's pot at all. It gets full sun for a couple of hours in the afternoon in a west facing window. It does need to be checked for water every day when it is getting that much sun. The sun has kept it dense and in bloom!

nilly
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 16, 2010
9:32 AM

Post #8158965

Great thread, Pedrick's.
Godd lookin kitty, too!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 3, 2012
12:05 AM

Post #9149884

Here it is June of 2012 and I thought I'd ad a new photo of my bonsai 'Amber Rose'. She made it through a winter outdoors which froze many in my collection down to ground level. Some are still just beginning to peak back up at the sunlight. Good thing she was in a mini greenhouse under a huge oak tree. No heat though. But every fuchsia under the tree did fine.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

July 4, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9193004

Pedrick - your cuttings are doing great here in Hawaii but now you are tempting me to try something different. I have success with seeds from my own plants, cuttings grow just fine and even rooting new plants by laying branches along the ground works. I've done a "standard" plant and now heading towards dozens of hanging baskets. And now I find your bonsai thread. Dare I try it! Already too much to do. Thanks for sharing. :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fuchsias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Amazing fuchsias Zanymuse 84 Sep 3, 2009 2:19 AM
Who would like to see a Fuchsia Forum!? PedricksCorner 134 Dec 2, 2009 6:06 PM
Let's get a Fuchsia forum going! PedricksCorner 83 Sep 3, 2009 2:21 AM
help with my fuchsia jjpate 2 Jun 8, 2009 5:38 AM
Fuschia - do I trim this? blackThumbz 15 Sep 4, 2009 4:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America