borage honey quality?

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Does anyone know if borage family members make good quality honey(taste and/or slow to crystalize)?
I have a half an acre of comfrey(the largest member of the borage family). The bees love this plant. It blooms here in zone 8 from april to october. Whenever I venture near those plants its sounds like I'm inside a hive. I
do not currently keep a domesticated beehive, but am thinking about it. I have many other plants that are good honey plants, but the bees seem to prefer the comfrey and I need to know what quality the honey is that
is developed from them.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

All my books mention borage and/or comfrey as being good bee plants with copious pollen and nectar, but none say anything about the quality of honey produced - sorry gojo.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

thanks for taking the time to look in your books.philomel. I have asked the local beeclub. They claim nobody has enough borage to get enough honey to tell. Very few people in my part of the world even know what comfrey is. It took me a few months to I.D. it. I think if the quality of borage
honey was better than average it would be more popular.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

not sure on that - it isn't a common 'crop' so few people will have honey that's mainly that. It will usually be a constituent of a mixed honey I think.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.