Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Winter Sowing 2010 What's Sprouting #2

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

We came from here....
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1083056/

Here are some of my poppies...

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wow look at those things!!! What kind are they?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL Jeannette... not sure. I'll try to figure which ones... they all look a like though.

here is my list of what i have germinated for WS... I think there are a few more Salvias that germinated yesterday, but did not make note, and it's currently raining, so i'm not going out to check.

Snow-in-Summer
Monarda, Lemon Balm
NoID Bee Balm
Wild Lupine
M. Bee Balm, Marshalls Delight
Hyssopus
Double Pink, Poppy
Purple Poppy
Grape Poppies
Oriental Poppy - Orange/peach
Queen's Poppy
Blue Delphinium
Joe Pye, Gateway
Veronica, Iron Weed
M. didyma "Panorama Mix"
Rudbeckia, NoID BES
Purple Larkspur
Viola, Blue Boatharbor
Purple Pygmy, Agastache
Salvia sclarea, Clary Sage
Penstemon Smallii 'Violet Dusk'
Rudbeckia, NoID BES
Agastache anisata
Bach Button, Jubilee Gem
S. verbenaca Wild Clary
Linum, red flax
Arctic Chamomile
charmer salmon, flax
Magellan Scarlet Zinn
Lobelia, Great Blue
Lobelia, Cardinalis
Anise Hyssop, A.foeniculum
Morning Glory, MilkyWay
HH Black Current Whirl
Zahara Mix Zinnia
Orange Magellan Zinnia
Green Envy Zinnia
Giant Cactus Zinn
Dwarf Hummingbird Sage

I did a rough count... i have about 103 containers of varying sizes. 30+ germinated.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh my goodness... they look great... I don't know how you guys get all these things planted later on... amazing!!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'll take it into 3rds or quarters.

its not a big container... one of those #2 deli buckets.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

here is my box of poppies.

the ones that did not germinate were old seeds i believe... got them back in 2008 swap, so they are 2007 or older.
Came from Carol Eads.
and the one that is still covered is Cherry Tomatoes.

OH -- and dead or dormant Cat Grass in the corner.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2010 11:12 AM

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

that is a lot of poppies

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Jnette.... the image is Grape Poppies.

I also have more Zinns [all that were sown have germinated] and some annual Salvias that have germinated.
it's cool and windy as all get-up, but the sun is shining - so i went out to 'take inventory'

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

What the wind did today.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

These were my tomato seeds, and there was a brick in the bin.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

What an impressive list, tsc, and just look at those seedlings.

What a shame, Karen. Were you able to salvage your tomatoes?

Nothing new popped up today but I'm planting Zinnias and Japanese Morning Glories this week.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

The tomatoes hadn't sprouted yet, I just dumped all that dirt in the compost bin.

Karen

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Now will you try to plant all of that out like it is or cut it out in hunks or what? This is my first year trying WS and I know I have a lot of HOS, some are almost ready to go out; starting to get second sets of leaves.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Pippi -- for the couple that are crammed in like Chias...those will get divided into 3 or 4 pieces and planted.
the one that is more sparse... that will probably go in one piece.

It looks like 3 of them are chia - like, the other two, either in half or all in one. sometimes depending on how much space is available ... but this time of the year, i have a bit of open spaces.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

So then do the ones like chias that you divide into 3 or 4 pieces (I suppose it depends on which plants they are) do they crowd each other out and end up with only a couple, or a few plants?

Doesn't it depend on what plants they are?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

No -- I have not found that they crowd each other out. I'll see if i can not locate an image of poppies from last year.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

here is the only one i could find.

this was done in a 'small clump' too.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

Karen, I'm so sorry that your tomatoes were thrown around. That's a bummer. Are you going to start more? You still have time right?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That is more than one plant isn't it? I love poppies. That one is so pretty.

Karen, my sister just reseeded 40 tomatoes that didn't come up. She is going to Arizona for a week so she brought them to me to babysit. I am putting them on the heat mat and under lights. So they should be well on their way by the time she gets back.

But this weather is so strange that I will be surprised if many of my WS germinates. The plants know it is not the year to grow. It doesn't get out of the 50s during the day and it is below freezing at night.

Don't know what is worse, the snow, or the real cold weather.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

My tomatoes hadn't germinated yet. I re-sowed them last night with leftover seeds. They should still have plenty of time, at least if the weather stays warm they will.

Karen

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

J -- yes that is more than one plant. I would imagine that one 'stalk' is a plant in itself.

Amazing, it only took 4 days for 'Double Click' and 'Candy Stripe' Cosmos to germinate. 'Snow-In-Summer' is looking like a chia pet more every day, Anita. Thanks again for those seeds.

With our heat wave the last week, it's hard to imagine having another frost but there's probably one or two more waiting in the wings before we're out of the woods on May 15th. I opened my jugs last week before we hit 90, have been consistently watering them but boy are they still thirsty.

Next in line are Cukes, Zukes, Peppers, Squash and Tomatoes. Just wondered who has a report about yours, how they're doing, and when you sowed them?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Ug... i need to get my Cosmos going...

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Watch out if you do, FotV is right. My cosmos, double click were up and 3 inches tall in 3 or 4 days. If it were me I would wait. I can't toss them 'cause that is all my seed. But, what am I going to do with them if they continue to grow at this rate? They are in the house and warm. Should I put them outside? It is cold out there. How do I slow them down? I have to repot them cause they came up kind of like that chia. LOL

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'll WS mine and if they germinate and we get another frost... i'll put them in my unheated sunroom. It's gets quite cool/cold in there but there wont be any frost or wind... so they will be protected a bit.

I'm going to put my tomatoes out there to harden them off.

Jnette, I had no idea they'd pop up so fast and I may have jumped the gun. Since you're growing yours inside, I wonder if they'd be good candidates to harden off during the day in a cool shady spot and bring them back in at night, since your temps are still cold?

What category are Cosmos in anyway or does that depend on your Zone? I'm pretty sure in VA they're half-hardy.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, cool shady spot? How about looking for a place warm enough for them outside? I don't know, maybe after their stems are firmer. They just shot up so they are white.

Cosmos are annuals in my area. Yes, I am sure it does depend on your zone as to hardiness of them, but I am sure they are annuals no matter where.

Teresa,

Did you do anything special to your poppy seeds? Did I read earlier that they need darkness?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Anita.. I"m a no nonsense - just do it person. nothing gets anything special.

I believe they were all surface sown... the seeds are so small anyways...
This year they were in those yogurt buckets that have lids... but since they are white, the sunlight gets thru - so i would not consider that darkness.

I figure... if the seeds 'fall' off the plant in the summer/fall, they are on the surface anyways.

Yes, I have been using you all's philosophy on WSing. How many seeds did you sow? Those were not commercial seeds??? I just sowed some Gaillardia inside and outside. The seeds inside have come up already.

I have some sprouts that are touching the inside of my container, should I open the container? What am I waiting for to open the container? We are supposed to have weather in the mid 70's for the next 10 days. Our expected low will be above freezing, 39. I don't want to cook my seedlings, so I'm wondering if I should let it air out for a while then close if up?? Or just take off the top half all together?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I would not take the tops off all together, yet... you may still have some cold nights.
that is the great thing about the "hinge".

>>How many seeds did you sow? Those were not commercial seeds???

was this about the Poppies?? no, not commercial - i rarely have commercial, all from the swaps
and poppies seeds are hard to count,.... i generally do "a pinch" and that's a lot of seeds as they are like sand or smaller.

I think> I have some Giallardia that have germinate outside already, i'd have to check my notes. OH nope... none yet. I think i need to sow MORE of them.

What's your experience with coneflower? I have some Sundown and Hope Echinacea that I would like to WS. I don't know why I'm still trying to WS but once a week I feel the need to cut up some containers and throw some seeds inside.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

they are second year bloomers.

so if you did the now, and they germinate pretty easily, you wont get blooms until next year.

I did a few varieties last year, i think the neighbors dog killed [peeed on all winter] my Merlot -- which i am not happy about. but i think all the others, with the exception of the Tennessee one - are coming back. [i have read they need rocky soil and usually do not survive... but i'm still watching the spot where i planted them'

I think i read somewhere.. that you can germinate them early enough, say January time frame and they may bloom first year... but i've never done it.

I'm sure I have WSed some but I was going through my seed stash and I forgot what coloe the Hope and Sundown were. I have to check my list again to make sure I have not already WS these varieties. I do remember trying the Merlot. It hasn't germinated yet.

I used some containers from a restaurant that have clear plastic lids with plastic bottoms. I also have a containter that has an fiol bottom. I'm noticing these containers seem to hold alot more water and seems to have mold growing inside. I made the drainage holes bigger but each time I pick up the containers, I'm still getting water run off. These containers are on my patio table and not inside a box. I'm not sure if that would make a difference but I'm hopeful. I was thinking maybe the water is not running off into something that can absorb the excess???

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>I was thinking maybe the water is not running off into something that can absorb the excess???

this is a possibility.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

kqcrna

I had the same thing here but one 3 mj were thrown around. I think because they were drying out and we didn't get the rain they said we were suppose to which made them lighter...

3 jugs total were thrown around and only one of them had sprouted seeds, sunflower one. and I only had planted 3 seeds 2 were sprouted big time so I've potted them up and under lights for now.

Janet

Once there is green mold growing inside your containers, does that mean the seeds are no good?

Chippewa Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

Been off-line, taking lids off and putting them back on. We had the same heavy winds and I was chasing some lids all around the neighborhood.

I WS'd Cosmos in Jan. They are all popping up now, as well as the Echinea-in answer to the WS Echie question. I know one is Moreno. Loved to see those poppy shots as I seeded two jugs at the end of last week.

Hassle here is the hot,hot (80s), followed by wind. Things are drying out rapidly and I have simulating rainfull with my sprinkling set to shower. Seems to work OK.

Still don't have a list of what is up, but I would guess 60percent of Feb.25 WS are seedings, and of course,some are chias.

My neighbor just came back from the summer, and saw my 'recycling' on the patio. Waiting for him to comment.....................LOL!

LoL I'm curious to find out what my neighbors think too.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Quote from diamond9192002 :
Once there is green mold growing inside your containers, does that mean the seeds are no good?

Anita -- Ive had seeds grow where i had white mold and the green mossy stuff. just try to nip it and let the container dry out a bit.
I've also had the other - where they seeds literally molded/rotted... then obviously they will not germinate.... I think it you get to it quick enough and get rid of the mold - and let it dry out a bit... they very well could germinate... i know mine have.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.