Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-South Gardening: Springtime in the deep south.

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 160, Views: 876
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2010
10:51 AM

Post #7677040

After a long hard winter for the deep south spring is finally in the air! I took these pictures this morning. Japanese Magnolia

Thumbnail by joycerogers0713
Click the image for an enlarged view.

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2010
10:55 AM

Post #7677052

The iris are begining to open.

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #7677071

Beautiful white falls with yellow edge. Don't know name.

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2010
11:03 AM

Post #7677081

The dutch iris always say "Welcome to spring".

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #7677086

Million Bells.

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2010
11:08 AM

Post #7677087

More color in the garden.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #7677172

Hello Joyce, wonderful pictures of spring flowers. It's so nice finally we can bid our long hard winter goodbye.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #7678123

Hi lily, I just love this time of year. Your picture is absolutely lovely. I hope DGers will post more spring flower pics. I love watching different gardens come alive. Sometimes we go 10 years or more without a snow fall here but this past winter it snowed twice. I'm 57 and I don't remember it ever doing that. I think it slowed down the azalea blooms in our area but other plants are making up for it. Happy Easter everyone!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7678803

It's absolutely beautiful time of year, Joyce. Hope there will be more pictures posted here this spring. Thank you for opening the thread and lead the way. There is beautiful scenery everywhere we look. I love to see deciduous trees budding out and seem to unfurl over night.

I've taken some pics. of birds on this Yoshino Cherry tree.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #7679963

Lily, We are so blessed to be surrounded with such beauty. I enjoy sitting on the porch and listening to the baby birds demanding dinner from their colorful parents. The cherry tree picture is lovely. I tried a weeping Hagen cherry when I lived in Meridian but it never bloomed. I guess it was just to warm there. The weeping form and foliage was still beautiful anyway. Mom had a Kawazan Cherry that died after several years here in the costal region. One thing about living so far south - I miss cherry blossoms. [My childhood was spent in Pa. and left me with wonderful floral memories.] I too hope other gardeners will share their spring pictures with us.

My newest granddaughter from North Carolina spending Easter with me! Joyce

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7680161

Lovely pic. of you grand daughter and you. Grand children make Easter extra special doesn't it? I don't have any grand kid yet, I'm looking forward to those days. I agreed, flowers especially when they tied with pleasant childhood memories are special to us.

Here is a Kwanzan cherry in full blooms. The weather just begun to warm up on Friday. These were in tight buds then, and puff! They all unfurl by noon today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #7681350

lily the Kawazan blooms are awsome! Mom had one that a tree surgeon cut another tree down on and split the trunk so it eventually died but was so exqusite when in bloom. I wish I could use your picture for a computer wallpaper! Are you anywhere near Birmingham? I have an aunt living there. It's such a beautiful area. My daughter and her family are here for a week and a half so I'm really enjoying spoiling my grandbaby. Happy growing... Joyce
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2010
9:26 AM

Post #7681398

Beautiful pictures Joyce.
Cindy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #7681438

Joyce, I'm relatively near to B'ham. Between Birmingham and Taledega off of I20. You're welcome to have my picture of the Kwanzan for any usage you like. Hi Cindy, how are you doing? The garden situation after all the freezes and thaws, and floods. We surely had a worse winter in a long while. I've lost quite a few perennials outdoor. Those that are semi-hardy, those that I enjoyed most. I may shift gears and going "native" (planting that's) this year.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #7681628

Ahh Kim I thought you were going to prance around your blooms in your birthday suit. Giggle

I am doing good. The yard is so over whelming I don't know where to start so I'm not really getting anything accomplished. Can't kill a wisteria though

Thumbnail by Riverland

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
11:53 AM

Post #7681731

Good gracious! Now that a bloomers! LOL, I believe you when you say we can't. Wish me luck, we gave up on a dozen of them wisterias after 5 years. Jim cut them down, and poisoned the roots. We resolved to keep only those that are in containers, only as long as they can be confined there. The answer to the problem whether I've gotten rid of those that we tried to terminate -- remains to be seen. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #7681738

The previous one was a Japanese variety. Here is the Chinese one. Sadly this one only yielded a hand full of those pretty blue flowers this year. :((

Thumbnail by Lily_love

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 5, 2010
12:01 PM

Post #7681747

Beautiful blooms...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
12:15 PM

Post #7681774

Thanks Gena. Here is another young one that I made into a "bonsai". It's sitting next to my Tulips container.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #7681835

Joyce and Kim, I've enjoyed everyone's spring blooms on this and other threads. Decided to post here since this is the newest. This is an unknown iris variety. My DD and I dug them up from an abandoned house site last spring. They probably haven't been tended or divided in years and they have buds all over them. Does anyone know what variety this might be?

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2010
12:50 PM

Post #7681840

None of my other iris have started budding yet. But the daffodils have been beautiful. Many of the early bloomers are gone, but here are a few mid-late spring bloomers. This one is one of my favorites. It has the green inside and on the outside petals when it's first opening.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #7681845

Another of my favorites. I don't have but a few of these.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2010
12:53 PM

Post #7681849

Part of my shade bed. Pieris about to bloom with part of a red twig dogwood bush.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #7681857

Another part of the shade bed with Creme Caramel heuchera and hellebores. Those nude sticks are what's left after the deer ate the leaves and blooms off my camellias! Kim, how do you keep the deer from munching on yours? I moved them yesterday to a spot closer to the house. Now I have 3 holes and need some ideas on shrubs that tolerate partial shade.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2010
12:57 PM

Post #7681862

Another daff. This one is very fragrant.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2010
12:59 PM

Post #7681869

And the lorapetalum is starting to bloom. It won't be long for the azaleas either. Lots of buds on mind and one or two blooms so far. We're behind you in our blooming season Joyce and Kim. The redbuds have come out in the last few days and the dogwood blooms are about half open. I'll try to post some more tonight.

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #7681905

I'm enjoying all the great pictures! The heucheras, daffs and wisteria are so pretty. Here is my heuchera "Prince" after surviving winter in a container.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7682726

Apparently the saucer and star magnolias and the cherry trees have been especially beautiful over much of the south this spring due to the long cold winter. Since it didn't warm up, the trees were able to bloom late and be unaffected by another freeze. This is my saucer magnolia which had a beautiful display of blooms a couple of weeks ago when I took this photo. The blooms are almost gone now, but it was gorgeous.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #7682742

Hellebores (Ivory Prince) and daffs in the shade bed.

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 6, 2010
8:33 AM

Post #7683982

The deer ate my camellias too... I was NOT a happy camper!! The vet told me this winter has been really difficult on the deer - they had a hard time finding enough to eat... They killed one of them I am pretty sure - the other 2 appear to be coming out but definitely no blooms!

Joyce your heuchera is lovely. I don't have any of those, but I would like to try some... wonder if deer eat them?? Daffodils and iris seem to be the only thing I have found that they DON'T eat !!

Love the daffodil pics! I need to add some more varieties to my yard - but I have lost a lot of the bulbs that I planted three years ago... they have just disappeared and i have no idea why! They are too expensive not to get more than one year of blooms from them!

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #7684008

Genna, the deer leave my heuchera and hellebores alone. They also don't touch the Pieris so I at least have those blooms in the spring. The camellias were planted right next to them too. When I moved the camellias the other day I even noticed bark rub where the deer rubbed their antlers, so mine may not survive either. They have munched on mine for the last two years. I think I'm going to put some wire mesh netting around them (like a little fence) to see if that will help. Won't look too pretty, but at least I might get some blooms next year. The deer also devour my Indian Hawthornes so I'm in the process of trying to replace those. I love their blooms but haven't had any for about 3 years now.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #7684052

Hi Elaine, Gena and everyone. I just love this time of year. Our spring just begun! I took a pic. of my neighbor Azaleas in full bloom this morning -- just to come home and found some of mine also in bloom. lol.

Here is one of my Virbunum. Forgot which one it's, there are only thousand varieties. This one is very fragrant.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 6, 2010
9:13 AM

Post #7684073

Well, it is nice to know they leave SOMETHING alone!! I may have to try the heuchera and hellebores! They didn't rub my camellias (although they rubbed almost every other shrub - maybe because they weren't large enough... but they cleaned EVERY leaf off of them! and nibbled some of the limbs too. There are some oak trees near the camellias and the area had a lot of acorns... I think they were eating acorns and just continued right on up the camellia!

Hello Kim! I just love Spring too! The viburnum is pretty... no azeleas blooming here yet but some are loaded with blooms so it wont be long!

Genna
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #7684641

Hi, everyone--I just found this thread. I have enjoyed all the photos of the lovely blooms which you all have. My iris haven't yet started blooming but one or two of them do have buds on them so it won't be long.
Kim, no wonder Joyce wants to use that photo of your cherry tree for her wallpaper! The tree is beautiful in bloom!
Hellebores are fast becoming one of my favorite flowers. Kathy Ann gave me one a year or so ago and it bloomed for the first time this year. The blooms are green. I have bought myself a blue hellebore and I think Kathy Ann gave me a red one but it might have been somebody else who gave me that one. Charlotte gave me another one last week but I'm not sure what color it is. They are all too little to bloom except for the green one.
This is what it looks like.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2010 8:47 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2010
1:42 PM

Post #7684646

Here is a close-up of one of the blooms. It really is green on the inside of the bloom. This bloom is setting seed.

Thumbnail by marsue

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 6, 2010
1:45 PM

Post #7684650

The hellebores are really neat... I had never heard of them until a few months back when ya'll were talking about them. That green bloom is definitely unusual...

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2010
1:48 PM

Post #7684654

My daffodils are pretty much faded now but I took this photo of one of my favorite daffodils. I have posted this on another thread but since we are talking about spring flowers, I will post it again here. This is Gentle Giant.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #7684665

Genna, I will give you a start from that hellebore if you want one but I may have to wait until fall. Hellebores bloom in the late winter or early spring. I'll ask around and find out what time of year would be best to dig up a start of it for you.

This daffodil is named Intrigue. It is a smaller daff than Gentle
Giant but very pretty especially when planted in a clump with other Intrigues.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #7684682

This is Eveline--a Veronica which is blooming in my garden now. It was very bright outside when I took this photo so the color looks somewhat washed out.

Thumbnail by marsue

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 6, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #7684685

Thanks Marilyn... they said deer didn't seem to bother them so they might make it here!

I never got any replies to my inquiry about rooting a lilac... anyone have any ideas on that????

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 6, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #7684688

Cross posted again... :) That veronica is pretty... will it bloom all summer or just in the early spring??
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2010
2:07 PM

Post #7684714

I had that veronica last year, Genna. The two monardas which I have in that same bed sort of overpowered the veronica and crowded it out so I don't remember exactly what it did. I can't help you on the lilac--I have never had one of those.
I don't have any deer here where I live in the middle of my little city. There are plenty of deer in the area--they just don't come into town. We had them where we lived before we moved here but the dogs kept them from coming up close to the house so I didn't have any problem with them over there, either.

I bought a six-pack of snapdragons at the grocery store on Friday. I put them out over the week-end. Here is a photo of one of them.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #7684719

These anemone are blooming beneath one of my roses.

Thumbnail by marsue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #7685346

Kim I so want a wisteria!!!! When I saw your bonsai wisteria I thought maybe that's what I need to do. Get a small one for a container and keep it trimmed. Don't know if I know how to do a bonsai!

I have lots of stuff blooming but I didn't have time to take any pictures today. I've have a really busy week and was running all day today. I left early this morning and when I got home late this afternoon and took a walk around the yard I was amazed at what had popped out during the day. I have several varieties of irises blooming and lots of other stuff. The azaleas are getting ready to pop out in a few days. I really need to get out there and get some things done. I have a million little oak trees in my new front flower bed. The squirrels stay out there every day eating and hiding acorns. I don't know how I am ever going to get all those little seedling pulled up!!

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7685445

Genn have you tried human hair as a deer deterant? Mom put it around the drip line of the larger plants the deer were eating and when they got a wiff of human scent they left the plants alone! She also scattered it all in her daylily beds and no more problem there either. She had the local hair salons saving her the hair they swept up and would put more on the beds every month or so. She hasn't had a deer problem since. It also makes a good mulch and its free!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7685485

Charlotte, it's getting late. I'll send some tips on aiding you how to keep a Wisteria Bonsai tomorrow. The trick is to get a blooming small Wisteria from any box stores...to begin with. More info. later. So please stay tuned. 'nite nite everyone.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #7685556

OK Kim I'll tune back in!! How exciting! Wisteria is a very fond childhood memory!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
5:16 AM

Post #7686041

G'morning everyone. Charlotte I'll get some pics. together to show you my "Bonsai". Here is a Lorapetalum in full blooms here, Elaine. Fortunately I rarely see deers around here. If I did it would be in a distance. Some years ago, I woke up to a hillarious sight of a neighbor in his pj with a camera chasing after a deer running in the back yard trying to get a pic. and that was it.

Genna, I missed your question on Lilac cutting. I've never rooted one, nor have I tried. So couldn't help you there.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2010
6:06 AM

Post #7686142

Oh that is pretty. I keep saying I am going to buy some of those. I think I will get some at Forresthill.
Clematis are jumping out there. We had no Spring. We have jumped to the eighties.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7686179

Cindy, those lorapetalums are very hardy and flood tolerant. I've a small bush by the riverbank. It has flooded several times in past few years and it's still unaffected. Amazing little shrubs they are!

Congrats Cindy on those clematis blooms. Those look like "Asao" clematis. Mine are in buds. May is usually the time for them to brust forth here. For those that haven't seen your azaleas unfurl. Only those species that are blooming right now. The hybrids azaleas (large flowering ones) are still in buds stage.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2010
6:32 AM

Post #7686191

You are right Kim it is Asao. Can you believe that clematis was under water six weeks.
this spirea made it through two floods but the matching one at the other ends of trees died. It is not flowing like it should because I cut it back last year. I did not prune it right.

Thumbnail by Riverland

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #7686223

Lovely clematis, Cindy! and your lorapetalum, Kim! Mine are in full bloom, too. Cindy, did you know they have lorapetalum in a miniature variety now? I saw some at HD recently. I wish I had the miniature rather than the larger variety. I keep having to cut mine back so they won't get too large.

Here is what my clematis looks like right now but I am really excited over this bud because I thought the poor thing was dead. It is my first attempt at growing clems over here at this house. Debra gave me this one and another one last fall at the RU. I kept them in pots in the storage shed all winter and pretty much forgot about them. When I put them in the ground just last week they immediately started growing and this one has two buds on it right now.

Thumbnail by marsue

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7686239

Yes, pruning is strictly timing. Some flowering shrubs that send out flowers in last-year growths. We can forfeit their spring blooms the following spring if we cut them back in the fall. Like 'Cecile Bruner' Rose for instance. In the Fall clean up every year, Jim insisting on pruning them back to keep them looking tidy. I keep reminding him that we need to wait until after spring flowers are done before we prune them back. Well, that was one of the problem to the front yard. In the back yard. We have some "Lily of the Valley" shrubs. While I wasn't looking Jim pruned them back last year. Guess what? We are going to miss their bloom this year!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #7686281

Hi Marilyn. Clematis are wonderful flowering vines! One of those if we have one, we'd like to have another, and another, sorta like eye-candies. lol.

Okay, here are some of pics. I sorted out for Charlotte. (On training a Wisteria into a bonsai). This is a Japanese Wisteria (purple blooming variety).
Disclaimer; I'm sharing my experience, remember I'm not an expert. Just sharing what works for me.

I'll break this into 2 portions. 1. To Do List. 2. Things to avoid list.

1. To Do List

#1. Pick a 3 gallons, blooming age Wisterias from any of our local nurseries or box stores.
#2. Select a shallow (weather resistant) pot of your choice.
a) shallow to keep the plant in a perpetual drought condition. This will promote blooms, and inhibit excessive green- growths.
b) weather resistant pot because we need to keep them outdoor all year round.
#3. Choose a good drainage potting medium. I mix mine with 2 parts potting soil, 1 part sand (to facilitate drainage).

#4. Use a mesh-like wire to block off the drainage holes in the bottom of your pot. Because any roots escaping from your drainage hole will only promote your vine to grow unruly, and may inhibit flowering* (more on this tip later).

Thumbnail by Lily_love

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 7, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #7686351

What a neat idea... I just love wisteria too.. but Leigh hates how it just wants to take over the neighborhood! I have one at my Mom's right now that has sent up runners EVERYWHERE and is trying to overwhelm me...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #7686354

2. Things- to- Avoid List

Here is an example why we need this information. I've two identical Wisterias that I trained the same way (almost) for the past 3 - 4 years. They performed equally alike past years. This spring however, one bloomed as usual, the other didn't. Here is the other that skipped the blooms this year:

*Note: The only difference in the two culture, is subtle, but note-worthy. This one pot. When I tried to pick it up from the ground. I found it has became unmovable, because the roots has escaped the pot and grew into the soil below. It was spending all energy on making new roots and didn't get the drought condition that it needed to make flowers!

#1 Avoid excessive watering, keeping your wisteria rootbound is very important.
#2 Never give your wisteria fertilize contains Nitrogen (nitrogen promotes green-growths). I use tripple Phosphate in Feb. (before it breaks dormancy to stimulate flowering in some years -- this spring I forgot to do so).

Any question, comment is welcome. I wish you a ton of fun working with your future bonsai. The end. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 7, 2010
7:43 AM

Post #7686379

Great instructions Kim... how often do you trim it??

I LOVE the pots of tulips! I have not had much luck with tulips but I might have to try a couple of pots next year...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #7686384

Genna, wisterias growing habit is very vigorous! I know, I know (learning from my mistakes) that's the reason why Bonsai-ing the wisterias for our enjoyment is the thing to do. Hubby and I took down roughly a dozen or so of those we've mistakenly put directly into the ground. The battle isn't over yet for those unruly roots are all over the place! This past year excessive moisture has enabled the thing to grow like wild fires -- with no blooms.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
7:51 AM

Post #7686408

When I keep my Wisteria pot-bound. I didn't have to prune it often at all. Best time to prune is when they're in dormant during the winter. Pruning them during the growing period, just stimulate them to grow more, and not conserving energy for flowering the following year.

Also, I use copper-wire to train the small vine to the direction I want to vine to grow into, such as 'weeping' or 'cascade' shape. Mimmic a tree- form when it's actually is a vine. (When using your copper wire; remember to check on your "tree" shape often. If not, the wire can cut into the vine which impedes its cambium flow and harms your miniture tree Wisteria).
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 7, 2010
8:19 AM

Post #7686488

Thanks Kim!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
8:30 AM

Post #7686515

Enjoy. :-)
lorettad
Batesville, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7687830

Peach Flowering Quince

Thumbnail by lorettad

lorettad
Batesville, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2010
5:49 PM

Post #7687833

Anise

Thumbnail by lorettad

lorettad
Batesville, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2010
5:49 PM

Post #7687835

Bleeding Heart

Thumbnail by lorettad

lorettad
Batesville, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #7687838

Wisteria

Thumbnail by lorettad

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7687848

Loretta is that anise where the flavoring comes from? I'm not familiar with that plant.
lorettad
Batesville, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #7687911

No it cannot be used for flavoring. Info about this shrub can be found
in the plant files. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2759/
Also called Florida Anise

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7687923

Kim thanks for the instructions and list of things I will need. I stopped by a Lowes today but they didn't have a wisteria so I will have to go nursery shopping to find one. I still have some of the one that I've had for years but doesn't bloom. I bet that is one of the problems as well as the shade. That it is spending all its energy making roots and new growth. Years ago someone told me to root prune it by taking a shovel and cutting all around the plant. I did that but it didn't help. When I'm not looking for something, I find it everywhere but when there is a specific thing I want seems like I can never find. But there has to be a nursery around that has a small wisteria.

Loretta I love your wisteria. I like the nice tree shape!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7687925

I have a couple of the anise shrubs. I've had them for a couple of years but they haven't bloomed for me yet. I hope they will this year!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7688897

You have several things in bloom already, Loretta! They are all lovely. I especially like the peach flowering quince. Looking forward to seeing you when we go to Rita's!

Charlotte, I don't think that red quince you gave me has made it through the winter. I'm not giving up on it yet, though. It is still in the pot and I check it daily to see if there are any green leaves coming out on it but nothing so far.

Kim, I'm tempted to try the wisteria bonsai, too, if I can find a wisteria. thanks for those instructions.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #7689118

Marilyn if it doesn't make it I can give you another. I have a shoot that is about 24" tall I can dig and give you.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #7689308

Cindy, we've had no real spring here either. Will have a couple of days cool weather this weekend and then back to 80's. Love your photos.

Kim, thanks for the lessons in wisteria bonsai. I've never had a huge desire for wisteria due to the problems with size, but your experience makes me want to try this someday.

I can't take credit for the photos I'm about to post...this is my neighbor's gardens. Her husband says she orders daffodils by the pallet. She has them all over the place and it looks lovely this time of year.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7689319

One of her beautiful (and large) camellias. She said she used to pick up all the dropped flowers, but she visited Japan a few years ago with her sister and noted they let them lay on the ground like a carpet. I think it looks pretty.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2010
9:22 AM

Post #7689325

I can't remember what she called this, but the flowers are small and delicate.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2010
10:36 AM

Post #7689529

Nice blooms everyone, Wisterias are blooming just about every where I look on the roadways in our area. At home, I've two adorn my arbor in the backyard. These situate in large pots. As so long you can keep the roots confined, you'll love your wisterias. If they're running free...they could be alot of work that you're NOT prepared to deal with.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 8, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #7689574

Elaine, I call that plant Lily of the Valley--I could be wrong but I have always called mine that.
I love the bleeding heart Loretta-that is a beautiful plant.

Kenny and Jim have a friend that does bonsai--his name is Lee, he came with them to my house once and he is very nice. They say he has a wonderful greenhouse too !
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

April 8, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #7690075

Here are a few pics I took today. This a one we got at Ritas last year. Golden bleeding heart

Thumbnail by obbirds

obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

April 8, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #7690077

Yellow Azalea

Thumbnail by obbirds

obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

April 8, 2010
3:06 PM

Post #7690079

And an orange one.

Thumbnail by obbirds

obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

April 8, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7690101

What is this?

Thumbnail by obbirds

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7690237

Kim I went wisteria shopping this afternoon. Not as easy as I thought it was going to be. Lowes nor Home Depot have any wisteria. I went to one nursery and they had 2 varieties - one called Evergreen with dark purple blooms but I don't think they cascade (need to do some research) and another called Niagara Falls. I'm going to research what they look like and also check with a couple of other nursery's tomorrow. This has turned into a project!
lorettad
Batesville, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2010
4:46 PM

Post #7690331

Kenny that is Virginia Bluebells, beautiful flower
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7690367

beautiful flowers, Kenny! I don't believe I have every seen a yellow azalea!
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

April 8, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #7690429

Thanks Loretta. The yellow azalea's came from Lowe's.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #7690442

I love those yellow and orange variety Azaleas. My neighbor has an old shrub yellow native Azaleas, they managed to pruned off all the blooms this year. I am just so "Mad" about that!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7690452

Marilyn the yellow and orange azaleas are native azaleas. They loose all their leaves in the winter. The native azalea has a different type bloom also.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7690470

The pictures are wonderful. Elaine the white flower is Leucojum or Snowflake. I cannot grow Lily of the Valley
this far south but Snowflakes are everywhere.
Kenny those azaleas are beautiful. Can't grow those kind this far south.
I was at Lowes today and they do have Black dragon Wisteria but it is 30.00 dollars a pot. I thought that was pretty steep. If you want one I will get it for you.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2010
6:02 PM

Post #7690542

Wonder why our Lowe's doesn't have any wisteria? The two I found today at a nursery were $23 for a 3 gallon pot. I'm going to continue my search tomorrow. Kathy Ann is looking for Black Dragon wisteria. You might let her know. I want to find mine this week so I can get it started.

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2010
3:12 AM

Post #7691146

I am so thrilled seeing all the georgious pics and helpfull information on this thread. The orange and yellow azaleas are a beaut. I just love the peach flowering quince too. Goodness, everything is beautiful. The woods are just now showing the dogwood tree blossoms and the wild honeysuckles, yellow and the pink, are open and filling the air with their wonderful scent. Started to walk in the woods today to mark small honeysuckles for future transplant but saw a rattlesnake. Vetoed that idea real quick!

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2010
3:24 AM

Post #7691164

Joyce: I would have been vetoing that idea, too! I see you are an early riser.

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2010
3:50 AM

Post #7691181

Actually I have insomnia and and haven't gone to bed yet! Wanted to share with you my granddaughter has inherited my love for flowers.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #7691371

What a cutie! She is going after that iris!!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #7691455

How adorable is she! Joyce, wild honeysuckles, needs to be in the wild. They smell so good but will take over your garden like wisteria could. Native honeysuckles is a different story. I've Major Wheeler honeysuckles and they attract Hummingbirds to our garden. These red blooming honeys are in buds. One draw back on the native honeysuckles (and some other pretty, but non-agressive hybrids) is that they lack of any fragrant.

Charlotte, it's early yet to find blooming Wisteria in box stores. Wait a while, they'll send them out all over the places. Just keep a watchful eye on them that are in pots. Planting them is easy, but getting rid of them is another story. Forewarns from those who learned the hard way. Moi!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
6:15 AM

Post #7691475

Hello Bonnie (anybody seen her?) let's see some of your pretty flowers in the garden. This is one of my viburnums. I love them all, except there are only thousands of this type of flowering shrubs. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7692853

Your little granddaughter is precious, Joyce, and a real cutie-pie! How nice that she shares your love of flowers! :o))

Lovely vibernum, Kim.

I made this plant stand today. Got the idea from Kathy Ann. I planted it with red and white petunias, gold celosia and yellow "Lemon Coral" sedum. I need either one more pot or something decorative to put on the top. I only had five pots and they weren't big enough to cover up the full length of the rebar which goes down through the middle of all the pots.

This message was edited Apr 9, 2010 5:42 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #7693112

That's the neatest idea! Thank Marilyn and also Kathy Ann for sharing that idea. Look GREAT!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7693401

You're granddaughter is adorable, Joyce. Aren't you proud of her?! I too have enjoyed everyone's blooms. Much to do this weekend. Maybe this is the last of the cold weather, but let's hope it doesn't get too hot too soon.

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2010
9:38 AM

Post #7694394

Thanks for all the comments on my grandbaby, they go back to North Carolinia Monday so I'm eating her up while I can. The wild honeysuckle I mentioned is the native kind tho it was dug up in the woods. I just walked the yard this morning and it is in full bloom now.

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7694404

The Japanese Maple is leafed out today also.

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #7694413

The azaleas are finally in full bloom. I think the long winter delayed them a few weeks.
Marsue love the pot idea. Do you lhave a Dremmel tool to cut the top rebar off?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7695003

Kim I bought my wisteria today. I got one with purple flowers. It has lots of buds that should be opening out soon. I wanted to actually watch it open. I have a small concrete pot that I have trouble keeping things watered in it. I may use it, if I don't find something I like better. It has a little redwood trellis that I need to out. I will probably need to cut it out. Then I'm guessing I need to cut the growth beyond the buds and then probably cut out some of the other growth.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #7695114

Wooohooo, Joyce now that is a "Wild Honeysuckles" must be cheerished. lol. That is the very same one my neighbor has unknowingly pruned all the flowering buds back I was talking about. lol. So happen I have waited many springs to take some cuttings from, haven't gotten it done. So I went to a local trusted-nursery and got myself some 2 days ago. Like many of us here. I'm getting Spring fever! I'm enjoying the season and love watching young leaves budding out, flowers unfurling, bird chirping. I just noticed Crepe Myrtles in the area are leafing out too. Great time of year.

Charlotte, glad you've found your specimen "bonsai" westeria. The concrete pot sounds likes a good solution. Now shaping/training your bonsai is an art. I'm encouraging you to read more about the practice of bonsai. It's all rewarding. Our knowledge and enjoyment of gardening in general will aid on the persuit of such art. Have fun.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7695456

Kim, here is what I've done so far. Like you suggested, I will do some reading on bonsai. It was like untangling a necklace, but I was able to get it off the little trellis. You suggested using copper wire to train and I happened to remember I had some small copper tubing ln the garage left over from something. I also had some smaller copper wire I use for jewelry making. So I used the smaller wire to attach to the copper tubing. I'm not going to do any cutting until I do some research. I did crunch a piece of chicken wire up into a ball and put over the drainage hole in the pot. I think I'm really going to like it. I also needed something in the flower bed for some height and the wisteria will solve that problem.

Thumbnail by cperdue

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7695508

Wow, Charlotte. That urrrr, should I say those multi-trunk wisteria look vaguely familiar. I think I've seen these climbing on some sturdy structure at a local shopping center. The blooms are very different from that of the long pendant flowers of Asian Wisterias that I know (Chinese, and Japanese wisterias). They maybe some kind of hybrids. Have you got a name for them?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7695519

Sounds like I may have a problem! It is Niagara Falls. I may be searching again??

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7695529

The azaleas are starting to open up. These are always the first to open. Others are just beginning to open but are not fully in bloom yet.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7695536

These will be open in a few days.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #7695547

These are some of my old irises that I moved from the front to the back last year.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7695550

This is one of my favorites. It is an old variety but I don't know the name. The flowers are really big.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7695555

Another favorite.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7695561

A really deep different color but doesn't bloom well because I have it in deep, deep shade.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #7695568

A close up of the red ones.

Thumbnail by cperdue

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7695690

Beautiful Azaleas blooms Charlotte, thanks for sharing those pics. As far as the wisterias. Nothing wrong with those, only they have pretty blue color blooms, but plum and short "puffs". Unless you wanted a traditional "tree-like" shape bonsai. I'd spend time playing with this (these ones) and weave them into a rope. When they grow out, they'll give an interesting weaved single trunk. Unless that would be too radical an idea. Just a thought. More pics. to come tomorrow everyone. Keep them pretty blooms coming please.

Another look at my double-blooming cherry Kwanzan. Picture a miniature tree as in a Bonsai specimen? I've a 3-4 feet tall branch that I've eyed for a possible specimen. It's going to be one of my long term project to root that branch eventually and train it into one (bonsai), if and when I do it. I'll share my work with everyone.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #7695738

Pretty cherry Kim. I was thinking about sort of braiding the vines but didn't take time to do it today. I was also afaid to handle it too much until it blooms. Don't want to destroy the blooms. Will see what happens with this one.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 10, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #7695805

That honeysuckle is beautiful Joyce! I wouldn't mind having one of those - I was thinking a vine. I have never seen anything like that in our local woods. We do have something that is pink that is similar I think.

I can't keep my eyes open... have a good night! MAYBE I will have internet tomorrow night so I can catch up!

Genna

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #7696915

cperdue the blue iris with the hostas is breath taking. The azaleas are georgous too, I just wish azaleas bloomed longer. The yellow and pink honeysuckle [wild azalea] are not as abundant in the moist low lying areas here as they used to be, but still can be found along creek banks. As far as the wisteria bonsai, or any of my bonsai for that matter, I use window screen to cover the drainage holes. I also remove the wisteria tap root and this doesn't seem to hurt the plant at all. The tap root is so strong I have had it poke a hole in the drainage screen [thats why I remove it.] Plastic needlepoint material is also good for covering drain holes and last longer.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7698019

The Native Azaleas are really pretty, I'm glad to hear how they're found in natural area Joyce. I've a pink one and it didn't perform very optimal in a canopy shade here. Nor the Orange, I just got a couple yellow ones, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

First official butterfly in the garden. Actually I've seen some blues, yellow Tiger Swallows (I think) and a Monarch the other day, but this is the first that I got a picture of.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7699193

Beautiful flowers, Joyce, Charlotte and Kim!
Joyce, no I don't have one of those tools for cutting rebar but I put another pot on the stand so now all the rebar is covered. Once my flowers start growing and trailing over the pots, I will take another picture and post it.

I noticed yesterday that one of my torch lilies has a bloom. Last season this particular torch lily had 27 blooms on it at one time. It was gorgeous!

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7699203

My peony has several buds and some of my coneflowers and asters do, too, but they haven't opened yet.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #7699207

The Chocolate Chip Ajuga is blooming nicely.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #7699214

Purple homestead verbena is blooming and that is "Eveline",not red fox, veronica blooming in the background.
Edited to correct "red fox" to read "Eveline" veronica.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2010 2:08 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #7699234

I never dreamed that the Ajuga can provide such lovely, intense blue but they do! I enjoy them. Marilyn your corner of the flower bed is very attractive! Is that a Hollihock coming back from previous year? The Homestead Verbena's performance is tireless thru the season. The Red Fox veronica is cute as can be! Nicely done!

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7699575

Marsue I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project on your pot stand. I'm going to have to try that. All the pics are fantastic. Keep them coming folks. I'm going back to my apartment today so I won't be able to upload any more pics for a while. [Only have phone internet and it won't up load.] I can only post. Joyce

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7699642

One of the first roses to open in the garden. The reliable Knock Out rose.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #7700018

Yes, Kim, that is a hollyhock which is coming back from last year. There are two others which are coming back, too. They were in another part of the flower bed last year so I either scattered some of the seeds in this area (can't remember if I did or not) or the wind blew some seeds into this part of the bed. I made a mistake when I named the veronica--it is "Eveline" and not "Red Fox". I have a Red Fox but it is in another part of the bed. That is Blue Fortune Agastache behind the veronica and Jacob Cline Monarda to the right.

Buddy's Knock-Out roses are blooming, too, Kim, but I haven't had a chance to get a photo of them yet. I call them Buddy's roses because he was the one who spent hours dead-heading them and caring for all of our roses. He loved roses and he is the reason that there are any roses in my flower beds. I love roses, too, but I don't love taking care of them because they are prone to black spot and other diseases. However, the Knock-outs are fairly easy to care for and disease-free. I lost a couple of roses over the winter. One of them was Angel Face, which was one of my favorites because of its marvelous fragrance. I may have to replace it.
This is a photo of Buddy tending the Knock-outs in the spring of 2008. Those roses are more than double that size now. We planted them in that spot to hide the electrical box, which we called the 'army tank'.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #7700045

Here's a photo of the Knock-outs from April, 2009.

Thumbnail by marsue

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #7700079

Like you, I've a Knock Out rose that was named in memory of a loved one. Way back when 'Knock Out' rose was not as well known as it's now-aday. Marilyn, I thought of you often ... I'm so glad you're able to enjoy the fruit-of the labors that both of you and Buddy started together back when.

Most of my spring bulbs flowers such as hyacinchs and tulips are fading fast. The early wave of pink tulips are all spent. Now I've a few of the mid-season Yellow tulips left out there. :((

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2010
1:27 PM

Post #7700146

Pretty flowers Marilyn! I don't think my homestead verbena made it through the winter for some reason.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7702051

Charlotte, if you want some of the verbena, I have some potted up for the RU which I will be happy to give to you.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
12:52 PM

Post #7702890

Thanks Marilyn I would like it.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7702977

White & Pink dogwoods; a beautiful scenery.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7703961

Well here are my dwarf irises blooming this morning. I love these they put on a great show every spring and they rebloom during the summer

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7703968

And here's the star of my show this year this is a little 'Lady in Red' hydrangea. Janie potted these up from cuttings last spring (I am soooo impressed). She gave me two but one of them died on my deck. This one however lived all through the summer and I planted her in November. I was so afraid she wouldn't make it but look at her GROW!!

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #7703977

Anyone know what kind of iris this is - I'm thinking siberian but I have no idea where it even came from - just showed up in my iris bed.

Thumbnail by kjuddy

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2010
8:12 PM

Post #7703988

Kim, your dogwoods are lovely! I just love all your photos with the lake in the background. It looks so peaceful there!

Karen, those are some pretty iris and how nice that they are re-bloomers! I started some hydrangeas from cuttings last fall in my new shade bed. I just stuck about 4 cuttings in the ground and I have two of them that are producing green leaves now. I was so excited about that and I can appreciate you being excited about the Lady in Red that Janie started for you. It is looking good! I don't have a clue about your mystery iris but someone around here will surely be able to tell you what it is.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7703997

Here's a new azalea I picked up a Lowe's last year on the clearance rack. It is a Purple Plum Bloom n Again. It is a really neat color or purple - brighter than most. Once again I bought two and one didn't make it - died right on the deck along with the other hydrangea. I'd sure hate to be a matching plant to someone else out on my deck cause one of us is doomed:(

Thumbnail by kjuddy

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7704023

Nice iris Karen. I got one of those Lady in Red cuttings from Janie or someone at RU. I put it in a pot and sat it in my flower bed. It made it through the winter and is growing great also. I also got a small Pearl Hydrandrea from I think from Janie. It was very small and I put it in the ground but in a protected spot so I wouldn't lose it and it made it through the winter also.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #7704037

Hey charlotte do you recognize this plant? I'm almost sure you gave it to me at the Oct RU. I can't read the tag but my mind says this came from you - it has a little square of green paper taped to it where the name was written. I thought it might be a hardy hibiscus but those leaves don't look right for that... hmmmmm.

Kim I love your dogwoods. we have a lot of them and they are some of my favorites although mine aren't near as full as yours. I see some things here that I don't have yet so I am making a list - I know I have tons of things sitting waiting right this minute for me to plant them but some of the stuff you guys have is too great to pass up.

DH and I just got back from the Master's golf tourney and of course I stopped at a nursery somewhere in GA and bought two new yellow azaleas and one encore azalea that has pink and white blooms on it. I had no idea encore's needed 4-6 hours of sun a day - is that true? Then over the weekend while those guys were sitting out front making friends with about 40 cannas and irises that I need to plant I went to Lowes in NLR and bought a 'French Pink Pussy Willow'. I felt naughty just buying something with a name like that - did I need a Pussy willow? Absolutely not, Did I EVEN know they made a FRENCH PINK PUSSY WILLOW? NOPE but honey it was half-price $7.50 for a shrub that gets 10 feet tall. Do I have a place for it? NO but there it sits out front with all the others. It is tax week, I am training 2 new employees, I've been out-of-town 7 of the last 9 days, my house is a wreck and I have at least 50 plants that need planting so why not buy a few more?

Besides it makes the husband crazy to see all that stuff sitting around waiting, although he mowed Sunday and then remarked about how great the yard looked and how I should appreciate all the work he does out there!! Course he was teasing me but it does look nice - I tend to see unfinished projects but he just sees all the blooms!

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7704048

I just have never been able to do the cutting thing - Janie is gonna have to teach me how she does it. What I do have down to a science is buying the most pitiful looking plant in any store and nurturing it back to life. Lots of things in my yard were clearance $1 or 50 cent stuff that looks great now.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
8:38 PM

Post #7704059

Karen I don't think you got that from me. I didn't put my name on any pots with green paper. It looks like a coneflower to me. I may be wrong. I think we would probably have some kind of withdrawal or something if we didn't have pots of plants sitting around that need to be planted!!!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #7704067

well you could be right - just because my mind thinks something doesn't make it a fact. Things were so crazy last year around the RU that I let a lot of things go undone. You could be right it could be a coneflower - time will tell I guess.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #7704413

I, too, was thinking that it looks like a coneflower.
Karen, good luck with getting those plants in the ground! :o))

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
5:27 AM

Post #7704449

Karen, I can totally relate with your love of all the beautiful plants out there. lol. Thanks everyone on your compliment on the dogwoods above, but they're NOT mine. I was running an errand. On the way home, I stopped by this area with a groove of Empress trees that I kept telling myself in the past "one of these days I'll stop and admire those pretty trees". So I finally did (stopped for the Empress blossoms, then got the dogwood's picture as a bonus). My pink dogwood? Yeah, I've got one it's about 3 feet tall and -- talking about being
Quoting: mine isn't as full as yours
. LOL, and yielded 3 flowers this year. And it was transplanted here an ump-teen years ago. I afraid the tree is stunned!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #7704582

Here are some of my irises that are in bloom.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7704583

Forgot to put the name. The one above is Pleased as Punch.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #7704586

Autumn Circus

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7704592

Bottled Sunshine

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #7704596

Chubby Cheeks

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #7704604

Little Moonbeam

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7704608

Posing

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #7704613

Pleased As Punch

Thumbnail by cperdue

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #7704738

Congrats on the Iris blooms Charlotte. Aren't they beautiful! Love, love this time of year. I do, I do. Here is a pic. that was identified as "Acer Rubrum" or Red Maple in lay term. I saw these trees in blooms as public ornamental trees. I have never dream maple's could be so beautiful.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 14, 2010
2:10 PM

Post #7705711

Wow - I love that ! I have been wanting some red maples... now I know why!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2010
8:12 PM

Post #7711682

I have two beautiful Amaryllis blooming. I dug them all up last fall when it flooded and put them in pots stored them dry all winter in the pots. this is the pink one

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7711687

And I think this may be Papilio

Thumbnail by Riverland

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
5:14 AM

Post #7712064

Beautiful amaryllis Cindy!! I just love them!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
5:27 AM

Post #7712086

Beautiful and bold those Amarylis are. I'm re-working my front flower beds this year. Moving tall, tall perennuals to the back of the border ect. Only the woodland plants and Azaleas are not disturbed this spring. Thanks goodness.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #7712282

I just got back from the MG plant sale. I found several great buys. I have been wanting a plumeria and they had several rooted cuttings. They are about 12 inches tall and have 6 or 7 leaves at the top. Only $2 each!! Don't know what color but whatever they are is find with me. I got 2, they had a third one but it seemed loose in the soil so I didn't get it. I also got a nice size sago palm for $5 and a climbing hydrangea for $3. I also got some nice looking dragron wing begonia plugs.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #7712346

The MG plants sale usually are much much fun. I didn't make it this year, and yes we can find alot of interesting plants there with reasonable, some time great price. What's more, the plants are cared for by people that really love and and enjoying gardening project.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #7712547

Chatlotte sounds like you got some real bargains.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
9:24 AM

Post #7712577

I thought I did. They published a list of what was going to be available and I was hoping to be able to get the plumeria and several other things, so I was there waiting when they opened the gate and honed in on finding those things.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America