Springtime in the deep south.

Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

After a long hard winter for the deep south spring is finally in the air! I took these pictures this morning. Japanese Magnolia

Thumbnail by joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

The iris are begining to open.

Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

Beautiful white falls with yellow edge. Don't know name.

Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

The dutch iris always say "Welcome to spring".

Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

Million Bells.

Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

More color in the garden.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hello Joyce, wonderful pictures of spring flowers. It's so nice finally we can bid our long hard winter goodbye.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

Hi lily, I just love this time of year. Your picture is absolutely lovely. I hope DGers will post more spring flower pics. I love watching different gardens come alive. Sometimes we go 10 years or more without a snow fall here but this past winter it snowed twice. I'm 57 and I don't remember it ever doing that. I think it slowed down the azalea blooms in our area but other plants are making up for it. Happy Easter everyone!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It's absolutely beautiful time of year, Joyce. Hope there will be more pictures posted here this spring. Thank you for opening the thread and lead the way. There is beautiful scenery everywhere we look. I love to see deciduous trees budding out and seem to unfurl over night.

I've taken some pics. of birds on this Yoshino Cherry tree.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

Lily, We are so blessed to be surrounded with such beauty. I enjoy sitting on the porch and listening to the baby birds demanding dinner from their colorful parents. The cherry tree picture is lovely. I tried a weeping Hagen cherry when I lived in Meridian but it never bloomed. I guess it was just to warm there. The weeping form and foliage was still beautiful anyway. Mom had a Kawazan Cherry that died after several years here in the costal region. One thing about living so far south - I miss cherry blossoms. [My childhood was spent in Pa. and left me with wonderful floral memories.] I too hope other gardeners will share their spring pictures with us.

My newest granddaughter from North Carolina spending Easter with me! Joyce

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Lovely pic. of you grand daughter and you. Grand children make Easter extra special doesn't it? I don't have any grand kid yet, I'm looking forward to those days. I agreed, flowers especially when they tied with pleasant childhood memories are special to us.

Here is a Kwanzan cherry in full blooms. The weather just begun to warm up on Friday. These were in tight buds then, and puff! They all unfurl by noon today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

lily the Kawazan blooms are awsome! Mom had one that a tree surgeon cut another tree down on and split the trunk so it eventually died but was so exqusite when in bloom. I wish I could use your picture for a computer wallpaper! Are you anywhere near Birmingham? I have an aunt living there. It's such a beautiful area. My daughter and her family are here for a week and a half so I'm really enjoying spoiling my grandbaby. Happy growing... Joyce

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful pictures Joyce.
Cindy

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Joyce, I'm relatively near to B'ham. Between Birmingham and Taledega off of I20. You're welcome to have my picture of the Kwanzan for any usage you like. Hi Cindy, how are you doing? The garden situation after all the freezes and thaws, and floods. We surely had a worse winter in a long while. I've lost quite a few perennials outdoor. Those that are semi-hardy, those that I enjoyed most. I may shift gears and going "native" (planting that's) this year.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Ahh Kim I thought you were going to prance around your blooms in your birthday suit. Giggle

I am doing good. The yard is so over whelming I don't know where to start so I'm not really getting anything accomplished. Can't kill a wisteria though

Thumbnail by Riverland
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Good gracious! Now that a bloomers! LOL, I believe you when you say we can't. Wish me luck, we gave up on a dozen of them wisterias after 5 years. Jim cut them down, and poisoned the roots. We resolved to keep only those that are in containers, only as long as they can be confined there. The answer to the problem whether I've gotten rid of those that we tried to terminate -- remains to be seen. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The previous one was a Japanese variety. Here is the Chinese one. Sadly this one only yielded a hand full of those pretty blue flowers this year. :((

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful blooms......

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Gena. Here is another young one that I made into a "bonsai". It's sitting next to my Tulips container.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Joyce and Kim, I've enjoyed everyone's spring blooms on this and other threads. Decided to post here since this is the newest. This is an unknown iris variety. My DD and I dug them up from an abandoned house site last spring. They probably haven't been tended or divided in years and they have buds all over them. Does anyone know what variety this might be?

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

None of my other iris have started budding yet. But the daffodils have been beautiful. Many of the early bloomers are gone, but here are a few mid-late spring bloomers. This one is one of my favorites. It has the green inside and on the outside petals when it's first opening.

Another of my favorites. I don't have but a few of these.

Part of my shade bed. Pieris about to bloom with part of a red twig dogwood bush.

Another part of the shade bed with Creme Caramel heuchera and hellebores. Those nude sticks are what's left after the deer ate the leaves and blooms off my camellias! Kim, how do you keep the deer from munching on yours? I moved them yesterday to a spot closer to the house. Now I have 3 holes and need some ideas on shrubs that tolerate partial shade.

Another daff. This one is very fragrant.

And the lorapetalum is starting to bloom. It won't be long for the azaleas either. Lots of buds on mind and one or two blooms so far. We're behind you in our blooming season Joyce and Kim. The redbuds have come out in the last few days and the dogwood blooms are about half open. I'll try to post some more tonight.

Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

I'm enjoying all the great pictures! The heucheras, daffs and wisteria are so pretty. Here is my heuchera "Prince" after surviving winter in a container.

Apparently the saucer and star magnolias and the cherry trees have been especially beautiful over much of the south this spring due to the long cold winter. Since it didn't warm up, the trees were able to bloom late and be unaffected by another freeze. This is my saucer magnolia which had a beautiful display of blooms a couple of weeks ago when I took this photo. The blooms are almost gone now, but it was gorgeous.

Hellebores (Ivory Prince) and daffs in the shade bed.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

The deer ate my camellias too.... I was NOT a happy camper!! The vet told me this winter has been really difficult on the deer - they had a hard time finding enough to eat...... They killed one of them I am pretty sure - the other 2 appear to be coming out but definitely no blooms!

Joyce your heuchera is lovely. I don't have any of those, but I would like to try some.... wonder if deer eat them?? Daffodils and iris seem to be the only thing I have found that they DON'T eat !!

Love the daffodil pics! I need to add some more varieties to my yard - but I have lost a lot of the bulbs that I planted three years ago..... they have just disappeared and i have no idea why! They are too expensive not to get more than one year of blooms from them!

Genna, the deer leave my heuchera and hellebores alone. They also don't touch the Pieris so I at least have those blooms in the spring. The camellias were planted right next to them too. When I moved the camellias the other day I even noticed bark rub where the deer rubbed their antlers, so mine may not survive either. They have munched on mine for the last two years. I think I'm going to put some wire mesh netting around them (like a little fence) to see if that will help. Won't look too pretty, but at least I might get some blooms next year. The deer also devour my Indian Hawthornes so I'm in the process of trying to replace those. I love their blooms but haven't had any for about 3 years now.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Elaine, Gena and everyone. I just love this time of year. Our spring just begun! I took a pic. of my neighbor Azaleas in full bloom this morning -- just to come home and found some of mine also in bloom. lol.

Here is one of my Virbunum. Forgot which one it's, there are only thousand varieties. This one is very fragrant.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Well, it is nice to know they leave SOMETHING alone!! I may have to try the heuchera and hellebores! They didn't rub my camellias (although they rubbed almost every other shrub - maybe because they weren't large enough.... but they cleaned EVERY leaf off of them! and nibbled some of the limbs too. There are some oak trees near the camellias and the area had a lot of acorns.... I think they were eating acorns and just continued right on up the camellia!

Hello Kim! I just love Spring too! The viburnum is pretty........ no azeleas blooming here yet but some are loaded with blooms so it wont be long!

Genna

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi, everyone--I just found this thread. I have enjoyed all the photos of the lovely blooms which you all have. My iris haven't yet started blooming but one or two of them do have buds on them so it won't be long.
Kim, no wonder Joyce wants to use that photo of your cherry tree for her wallpaper! The tree is beautiful in bloom!
Hellebores are fast becoming one of my favorite flowers. Kathy Ann gave me one a year or so ago and it bloomed for the first time this year. The blooms are green. I have bought myself a blue hellebore and I think Kathy Ann gave me a red one but it might have been somebody else who gave me that one. Charlotte gave me another one last week but I'm not sure what color it is. They are all too little to bloom except for the green one.
This is what it looks like.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2010 8:47 AM

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Here is a close-up of one of the blooms. It really is green on the inside of the bloom. This bloom is setting seed.

Thumbnail by marsue
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

The hellebores are really neat..... I had never heard of them until a few months back when ya'll were talking about them. That green bloom is definitely unusual........

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

My daffodils are pretty much faded now but I took this photo of one of my favorite daffodils. I have posted this on another thread but since we are talking about spring flowers, I will post it again here. This is Gentle Giant.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Genna, I will give you a start from that hellebore if you want one but I may have to wait until fall. Hellebores bloom in the late winter or early spring. I'll ask around and find out what time of year would be best to dig up a start of it for you.

This daffodil is named Intrigue. It is a smaller daff than Gentle
Giant but very pretty especially when planted in a clump with other Intrigues.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This is Eveline--a Veronica which is blooming in my garden now. It was very bright outside when I took this photo so the color looks somewhat washed out.

Thumbnail by marsue
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks Marilyn..... they said deer didn't seem to bother them so they might make it here!

I never got any replies to my inquiry about rooting a lilac........ anyone have any ideas on that????

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.