Photo by Melody

Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds: Petunia Question

Communities > Forums > Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seedsReplies: 1, Views: 6
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cianoy
Springfield, MA

April 3, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #7677770

Hi! I've been trying to germinate Petunia seeds. It's been over a week and I haven't seen any growth.

I now suspect, it might not have been seeds that I planted.

When I pluck the flower, the seed should be at the bottom part, right? Or would it be left on the plant? Is it the part that connects to the flower or is it with the flower?

Thanks!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #7677779

The seeds form in a little capsule where the flower connects to the stem... but if you're plucking an actual flower, the seeds aren't going to be mature... by the time you get a dried looking capsule with mature petunia seeds, the flower should be long gone (dried up, blown away).

Petunias often take a week or more to germinate for me, especially if I don't have them on a heat mat.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Neat guide there! Dinu 15 Oct 17, 2008 4:10 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you. LouC 1 Oct 16, 2008 2:40 PM
Good phicks 1 Oct 16, 2008 3:55 PM
Great for the beginers! adinamiti 4 Oct 16, 2008 6:28 PM
Thanks Sundownr 1 Oct 17, 2008 2:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America