Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Aroids: Me and my 13 lb. Konjac in bloom. Taken today...

Communities > Forums > Aroids
bookmark
Forum: AroidsReplies: 250, Views: 1,532
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

April 3, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #7677945

Man does she STINK! But the flower is very nice...

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
Click the image for an enlarged view.

RachelLF

RachelLF

April 3, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #7678192

Extremely nice growing tommyr! I am envious.

growin_stinkies
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #7678275

my konjacs havent started blooming yet but they are spiking now i do have one smaller bulb thats about to open and one Leo song in bloom but my largest have yet to go. I did wake up this morning to have A. koratensis stinkin me out.
Kalpavriksha
Sarasota, FL

April 4, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #7679382

When my voodoo's flower; a lot of flies are attracted (outdoors). All the anole lizards come to feast! The cold was so bad this year, a lot of the lizards died.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

April 4, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #7679631

Sorry about the lizard die off. Nature knows what she's doing though. The bad smell is designed to attract flys for pollination.
ExoticRainforest
Siloam Springs, AR

April 4, 2010
3:16 PM

Post #7679698

You are very right the pheromones attract flies due to the scent. However, observation of pollination ecology of most Amorphophallus indicates all are mostly visited by beetles from a variety of genera followed by flies, bees, ants and some cockroaches. The beetles and bees are the real pollinators for wild Amorphophallus species and they use the nflorescences as mating and egg laying sites.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2010
9:30 PM

Post #7685762

Is that the same as a voo doo lily?
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2010
10:25 PM

Post #7685812

Hilarious picture! Keep the doors locked, lest the beetles surprise you in the night. That vision is enough to give me bad dreams.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

April 7, 2010
3:43 AM

Post #7685930

Bluegrass, yes they are sometimes called Voodoo lilies. Nothing lily about them! LOL!
The smell is now gone BTW!
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2010
4:24 AM

Post #7685968

Do they grow from a bulb? If so I bought one at the Nashville Lawn and Garden show. I didn't know they could get that large!
Teresa in KY
ExoticRainforest
Siloam Springs, AR

April 7, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7686478

Although the terms bulb, corm and tuber are used interchangeably by growers, aroids only grow from a tuber.

I have tried to make this as non-technical as possible but it is pretty tough to condense the science to layman's terms. Probably best just to accept the fact aroids with an underground stem grow from a tuber since they are technically different.

A bulb is an underground stem that has a basal plate (look at the bottom of a fresh onion) and fleshy storage leaves surrounding a bud that forms the next plant. A good example of a bulb is an onion. Cut it open and you'll see the layers with the papery skin in between. All bulbs have layers.

A corm is also an underground stem to which the above-ground parts of the plant may die back when dormant, but not always. It often stores starch with the roots growing from the base. Corm examples are Crocus, Cyclamen, Musa (banana) and Gladiolus.

A tuber is an underground structure that is almost entirely a starch storage organ. The buds for future growth and the roots all develop at the “top” In Amorphophallus, Arum and Typhonium the stem tissue is all encased in the small bud at the top of the tuber full of stored food.. That bud grows upward into a leaf or two, and outward into roots. Potatoes are tubers.

All three are underground stems that store starch but they are technically very different. When you cut open a potato you just cut open a tuber.

Since some may confuse a stem with a petiole, the petiole is the stalk that supports of an individual leaf while the stem is the central axis or main support of the plant. Petioles grow from nodes on the stem.

All of this was recently discussed in a note from scientist Christopher Rogers titled Tubers, corms and bulbs, oh my! on the International Aroid Society discussion group Aroid l.

Dr. Tom Croat and several other aroid botanists concurred even though there is some relationship between the tuber of an Amorphophallus and a corm. Technically, it is still a tuber...at least to a scientist or a grower that likes to use the correct term.

I'm sure growers aren't going to stop calling a tuber by either of the other names, but there is a difference and aroids only produce tubers.

If you go to the International Aroid Society website and use the search engine you can find the entire discussion: www.Aroid.org

This message was edited Apr 7, 2010 10:20 AM
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #7686785

Yay. Great information. I've never exactly been sure what a 'basal plate' looks like.

Thanks, ExoticRainforest!
ExoticRainforest
Siloam Springs, AR

April 7, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #7686848

Take a look at this link for a good drawing of an onion (a bulb) which shows the basal plate and the bud. The definition they use is really pretty good but still understandable while other sources require you to have a botany dictionary in your lap.

My only problem with the piece is it starts out to explain why the forms are different but then calls all three a "bulb" part way through. I'm sure they did that to try to keep it simple but a corm and tuber don't scientifically qualify as a bulb for the same reasons they explain.

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/bulbs/bulbbasics.html

By the way, if you'd like a good botany dictionary that is very affordable order the Oxford Dictionary of Plant Science from Amazon.com It is fairly inexpensive but contains a lot of good material. Amazon often has used copies for sale.

Steve
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2010
10:51 AM

Post #7686855

Yes, I'm very literal (have to be when I'm learning something new), so it's hard for me to learn when resources don't use terms precisely 100% of the time.

I would like a good botany dictionary; I'll check it out. Thanks again.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 3, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7760845

very nice tommy! that's a beauty and a stinker. : )

thanks for the explanation exoticrainforest.

i would like to start growing the konjak again. can anyone point me to a good source for purchase. i don't have any tubers for trade though.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

May 3, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #7760893

Ebay and http://www.boberosa.com/lily.html

tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 3, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #7760940

hi tommy - they don't seem to have any auctions right now but i will send them an email. thanks so much!
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

May 3, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #7761012

There are several Konjacs for sale on ebay right now. Search for amorphophallus Konjac. Boberosa sells them for for $6 per pound. Email them to see what sizes are available.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 3, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7761056

it's odd but the only one that i see selling them on ebay right now is adstakst1. i might be in some weird mode on ebay...

i contacted boberosa via email to see what they have available.
juliep127
Louisville, KY

May 10, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #7781591

My mom bought one in March and she grows in her basement and the dirn thing is up to her ceiling!!!
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

May 11, 2010
3:23 AM

Post #7782563

LOL! Yup, they are fast growers once they get going!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9204343

tommyr..hows that big one doing this yr?? hope even bigger !!!
hows weather out there in NY??
you having the same HOT,dry weather all over.. sigh :(
ive seen some pics of konjac that were guessing from pic maybe 7+ft tall.. the
vegetative growth..
does anyone know how big konjac can get?? how big have u all grown them??
i saw some really big corms for sale on ebay this last spring..one was..i think.. 30+ lbs..
thats big.. wish i had continued bidding on it..but i was a total newbie..and didnt want to
get into a plant $$ that i would eventually kill..
now i feel alot more comfortable..and able..
my amorphs are doing great.. nice vegetative growth..even with our extreme hot/dry
summer..
we are getting rain now..yea !!!
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

July 14, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9204746

Hi tropicalnut777,
That corm has shrunk to around 8 inches when I dug it up last fall. Not sure how tall Konjacs can get, that big one's leaf got about 5 feet. She's doing great this year, here she is with 2 4 inch corm Konjacs:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9204782

super pics tommy!!! :)
im anxious to see how big... or small ..lol the corms i have in leaf now..
its bad for me..i always opened all my xmas prezzies before..then rewrapped them..
lol
lets hope for a good long summer so our corms can reenergize for next yr!!!
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

July 14, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9205210

Pic of the 3 big ones taken today:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9205212

Supper job Tommy, I've a couple. Love these plants, but not the ordor. lol. Though, I've seen one in flower but once. Got quite a few offsprings from the orginal plant that I bought in 2006.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

July 14, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9205214

Here you go Lily! Me and a stinker! A few years ago!

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9205300

*Laughing so hard, that's a hoot!. Luckily the odor doesn't last very long. Do you remember how long the flower lasted?
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9205384

great pics again tommy !!
make sure and post/show pic of size of those big ones ..:)
im anxious on mine too..
?? what are u using for fertilizer on yours?
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 14, 2012
11:55 PM

Post #9205559

they are looking good Tommy! i have a question for y'all. this here is my 3-pounder. any idea why it does not flatten out at the top. i do not know the technical term (if any) for the part of the petiole from which the leaflets emerge. it does not get much of any direct sunlight here in the desert drywest.

Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9205669

Mr. D. I'm glad you've brought up the question. I've a hunt in regard to your question -- maybe. What I've observed was; when I planted the plant in partial sun in my woodland garden. The leaflets will spread out like a full open umbrela like that of Tommy's. But when I moved mine to a container culture, and expose it to full sun. Mine look just like yours. But not quite as big and luxuriously looking!!! Wow, what a great job have you raised that babe!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

July 15, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9205780

Lily,
The flower lasts about a week (give or take a day or two), luckily the smell doesn't!

tucsonplumeriaz,
My Konjacs get morning Sun then bright shade the rest of the day. Try that for the leaf spreading.

tropicalnut777,
Any good fertilizer will do. Right now I'm using Jack's (formally Peter's) 20-20-20 every week.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9205794

Hah, I've nailed the possible culprit of the None spreading leaflets in which they are formed from the petiole? Maybe? Tommy's response that [quote] My Konjacs get morning sun then bright shade the rest of the day. [/quote] THAT correllates the exact condition I had mine when I first discovered Konjacs 6 years ago. Subsequently I decided to keep my Konjacs in container culture so I can keep them away from munching critters in the garden. Thanks Tommy for sharing your experience with me/others who happen to find Konjacs fascinating dispite the odor they emit. -;))
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9205843

thats a super question tuscon.. the 4 i have in raised bed in one garden started that way too
they get full blast sun..all day..not sure im going to do it again next yr..all that sun..even though
the plants dont seem to be suffering..not sure on the corm though till late this fall when i dig them..
my foliage canopy was more upright too..they have flattened though..
? are yours staying more folded upright?
and to point made..my potted ones that i have in mid day semi shade never opened up that way..
so i think u all's point on this is valid..
i wondered the same thing..so glad you asked it tuscon!! :)
thanks tommy on what youre using for fertilizer.. im using a commercial 20:20:20 with minor elements
and plan to go to a 14:30:10 with minor elements mid august..
i understand that the corm will need more P to get boosted up..
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 15, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9205859

hi, ms. lily. i must confess! i purchased this 3-lb tuber months ago. i wanted to see what it is like to play with the big boys. haha! it will be interesting to see what size it is springtime next year. i still have not mastered overwinting them. that is where i usually go wrong. this year i am going to leave them in soil in the garage. i hope that helps! yours is looking nice and healthy, too.

thanks for the comment tommy. it appears to be the lack of direct sunlight. it gets a some of that *it's to early to be awake* sun and a smidgen of the setting sun. other than that, i'd call it medium shade. i am looking to build them a home under a fabric tent next year. the plan is the give them bright shade all day and be able to spray down the fabric to provide some humidity and cooling. thanks, again!

these plants sure are fun! i just have to make special arrangements in the desert for them.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 15, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9205898

hi, tropicalnut. tropicals in UT?! good onya! my canopies seem are about 45º to the vertical. i guess that is just how they grow here in containers. they were even started in different light conditions and are all the same now.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9206091

good ideas on fabric tent..dont know if u get strong winds..just secure well.
i know guy in australia that protects his many amorphs ..but ran into trouble with falling
structure on his amorphs..:(
its all finding what works..and adapting to nature..:)
my experiment this yr was..if i get bigger corms from growing directly in soil over potted up..
wont find out till this fall.. lol and i dont think 1 yr will prove anything.. :)
might have to try again next yr too..
theres been posted on other threads in aroid forum.. studies suggesting semi shade,not direct
light produces bigger corms.. from my reading on these.. there are several factors too..
soil.. light..of course.. fertilization, potting up,in raised beds, competition from weeds/or other plants..
as for me..im grateful for all these posts/suggestions..
gardening is an adventure..and experiment.. and FUN

tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 17, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9209159

thanks for the tip. the monsoon storms can be vicious! a row of snapped power lines from sunday storm.

experimenting is good. i know that initially the vegetative growth was frying and dying too early because of the heat, dry conditions and sun exposure. i tuned on to less direct sun exposure last year.

i would think in ground would be better because of more consistent root temps. i know that plumeria do much better planted in the ground even if it is planted in a container that is plunged in the ground. i can get 120º for soil temps with summertime heat and direct sun here in tucson.

all the best in your gardening endeavors!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9209319

wow..thats hot soil !!! my brother lives in scotsdale..he likes it..but whew.. that summer
heat..
my brother has misters/foggers around his patio.. to cool things off..and raise the humidity
have you tried these in your gardening area? i dont know what your set up is..you may have a huge
area of gardens..
in my raised bed area where i planted konjac's in the soil (very well ammended soil)
i lined the whole perimeter with 3 gal water containers.. filled with water.. more for start of the gardening
season..to keep the soil warm at nite.. i dont have to worry about that now of course..
im anxious to see if theres any difference in potted/over planted right in garden..
good luck to you too tucson !!! try to stay cool..
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 18, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9210275

i have tried the misters. it creates a mess because of the hard water that we have here. that was even with an inline filter. i guess i should have used two! my next idea is to wet the fabric tent to generate humidity and cool air.

please keep us posted on your experiment. i should try plunging a pot in the ground.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9210496

thats a good idea on sinking pots in the soil tucson..where u have
such intense heat..limited water.. maybe even have something rigged up with how much water you
want dispensed..a reservoir ..ive thought of that with my very unsophicated set up with 3 gal water jugs
around the raised bed of amorphs.. but..havent put enough thought to it.. yet..:)
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 19, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9211317

i like to water by hand. that way i can have conversations with the plants. hmmm...i am just joking. but i do like to water by hand. i like to be out there every day to see how the kiddos are doing.

some of my best ideas have remained in chemical form only. haha!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9230570

?? hows everyones amorphs doing ?? surviving summer heat i hope..
ive started mine on a higher P fertilzer now.. to help boost feeding the corm..
this is my 1st yr with amorphs.. so..
?? im guessing not to let a frost kill off the vegetative growth.. couldnt be good
for the corm..?? how long will the leafy growth keep going??
mine have great colour,appearance..not anxious to see it go.. just wondering..??
im hoping ive done what the plant needed to replentish itself so i have a nice corm
when i dig them..:)
much thanks...
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

August 5, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9230587

When the leaf stalk flops over (due to cool/cold temps) in the fall cut it off at soil level. Empty the pot and remove the soil from around the corm. Look carefully while removing the dirt for baby corms!

Put the main corm and any babies where they will dry and not get rained on. Inside if it's too cold out.

Eventually you'll be able to pull the roots all off and clean the corm easily. Sit in a cool spot indoors on a shelf.

Tom
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9230841

thanks tom.. :)
already looking forward to seeing how the corms did this summer..
does your konjac flower every yr?? that is if its of size to flower?? and corm was kept well
during vegetative growth...??
im hoping we have a good long summer into fall.. early oct.. which isnt unusual for here..
will give more time for the corm to build up and store food for next yr..
i have that right ..dont i???
hope you all are having sucess with your corms this season..
i still havent decided if i like the potted up way..or right into the ground..
potted up..for sure has plus in that i can move it out of hot full sun when summer is full
on here.. and i can take in if we get early cold weather..then take out during the day..or nice warm
days..
i was thinking planting right in the ground (soil i put my amorphs right in garden..are raised beds,
with same soil as in pots)
guess i wont be able to make decision until i dig corms and see how everything did..
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

August 7, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9233353

The one in that photo bloomed 2 years in a row. The corm needs to get around the size of a softball to bloom.

Keep well watered in a light porous mix and feed regularly.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

August 8, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9234848

mine are doing well. i am using Vigoro Tomato and Vegetable Garden Plant Food Plus Calcium 12-10-5. http://cache.vendaria.com/integration/images/ct/35/VpopHTML.html?bg=D6D7A5&nm=BZOpener&err=0&title=Demo&pf=t&fr=t&iid=jmIkUFkQcffdQVeUajbacdkfffaijkQgQji&ap=sys_homedepot_uid_203106474&uid=203106474&cf=3000&purl=sys_homedepot_uid_203106474 i will had been using 10-16-38 but tired of mixing dissolving ferts in water. i might use it again before the end of the season.

did i mention plunging the containers in the raised beds for more consistent root zone temps. then, you can pull the pots up in the fall and bring them inside.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9235005

ya..i think thats a great idea tucson..especially for you with your extreme
heat...
ive thought of getting a soil thermometer.. for use in winter and summer..
here i dont know if my soil temps are a problem for the corms.???
most of my potted up amorphs are in black pots..so im sure that increases the
heat in the soil..
i would think for you in tucson.. any way to keep plants from drying out in a couple hrs
would be a benifit.. i can go 2 days between waterings (potted amorphs)..i figure thats
good for the soil to drain..then give the plants another watering..
the pots never dry out.. i cut holes on sides of pots too.. just for more aeration in the soil
?? did you ever get any of those fabric/colapsable pots???
ive wondered about getting some.. i havent priced aroid.orgs pots.. now id need 15+ gal pots..
hope summer hasnt been to tough on u alls plants/crops...
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

August 13, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9240641

the heat is not a problem for my corms in the black pots. too much direct sunlight is my issue. that is why they have more shade and dappled sunlight this year. i only have to water every 2-3 days. the plastic does not dry out like the fabric. no more fabric pots for me.

i still have many used fabric pots that have been cleaned in the washing machine and some new ones. give me a shout at tucsonplumeriaz @ yahoo dot com if you are looking for any.

i hope that your plants are doing well. it has been really hot and dry but everything is doing ok.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9240714

ive kicked around the idea of trying fabric pots.. for my EE,and bananas..
thats probably something i need to ponder on..your comment of fabric pots drying
out fast.. theres a good and downside to that.. im sure the drying out is more a downside for you
with your heat..and so much sun..
i am planning my set for my titanum this winter.. its spiking now (vegy spike) its a 14.5# corm.. i have it in
a 18" pot so its probably good for next season too.. unless i take way to good care of it..and it gets HUGE
fast.. LOL :)
i read where lari-ann had some of her amorphs actually break pots.. wow.. super strenght amorphs.. im
impressed.. :)
my konjac,and relative amorphs are doing great.. even the one of 3 that i pollinated seed on..and the flower
spike just hung on for everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ... lol.. after cutting down.. harvesting the berries..
i got a vegy spike up couple weeks ago.. YEA>>>
i am anxious to see how big the konjac corms did this season..
??? does anyone know if konjac is as agressive as titanum in growth??
i understand titanum can double..even triple in size in a growing season..
mmm. my 14# .. over 30 # next yr.. sigh.. oh my aching back.. LOL
hope all are having good luck this season too!!!!!
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

August 14, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9241606

Konjacs can double in size I have found so far.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9241662

tommy..wow.. thats some growth..
i guess with konjac.. biggest ive read..was around 30# or so..
titanum.. upwards of 160#.. thats some big corms.. !!!
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

August 16, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9243765

So far my largest was 13 pounds. But it shrunk to 8 in one season.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9243885

Several of mine appear to be in recess for the growing season. The leaflets turn yellow, then brown. They happen uniformly whether they are in containers or in the ground. I regcon they just pause for for the season of rest?
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9244048

thats a big corm tommy !!! :)
my 4 biggest konjac are still going good..leaves are good colour,i did move the potted
ones out of full sun to where they only get full sun up to 1pm..then filtered sun.. i think i will do
similar next yr too..it was a HOT summer this yr.. but i get alot of full sun in one yard..all day long
im sure thats a bit to much for them.. they were just good to me this yr.. :) and tolerated my
poor treatment of them.. :)
im wondering if the konjac that flowered and i pollinated .. if the corms will be smaller than
ones i just let flower and then go to vegetative growth...
these plants are facinating..and alot for me to learn.. :)
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

August 16, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9244157

i guess a longer grower season is needed to get a larger corm. i should be able to keep mine going until thanksgiving if not later. i sure hope we have a warm winter.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

August 17, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9244759

have y'all seen the aroid facebook group?
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9245035

tucson.. you might even be able to grow some of your amorphs outside overwinter..
?? my brother lives in phoenix..he grows many tropicals outside.. palms,birds of paradise,
cycads..
also..you might check around if theres some aroid society,or tropical plant club/society..
they would be a great source of info..
i wish more people here in utah collected/grew tropicals.. sigh..
im hoping for an extended fall and warmish temps into late oct..
guess i'll get what i get.. :)
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

August 17, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9245170

tucson experiences colder winter. the leaf will become mush before the new year.

i was not looking for an aroid group. i just wanted to know if any of you had seen the group on facebook. i am a member. it is free if you have a facebook acct.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9245195

im not a member..but i have to check it out.. thanks..
bummer tucson has cooler winters.. :( super hot summers.. coolish winters..
sigh.. but who of us has the perfect weather.. lol
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

August 18, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9245574

Lily_love,
How hot is it there? How much direct Sun does it get? Feeding and watering regularly?

I'll pass on the Facebook group, I don't do Facebook. Tried it and it's a big time waster IMHO.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

August 18, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9245619

tommy - i use facebook 99.999% of the time just for the plant groups. for me, it is just like going on dave's garden. all the other stuff that happens on facebook doesn't really phase me. it is good because many of the groups are locked, so friends and family can not see that i am posting on facebook while in the groups.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9245709

Tommyr, thanks for noticing my question. It has been hot here on the upper 90'ish F. most time, those that are in full fun as well as in semishade all did the same thing-- they turned brown and mush. Large or small corms. I stopped watering them, and will take them out of the soil and inspect the corms soon.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

August 18, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9245712

Lily_love,
Hmmmm, a bit puzzling. Maybe too much water. Is the soil really well draining?
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

August 18, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9245796

have you grown these before, lilly_love? and, you are saying that the leaves turned brown and mush?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9246109

Tommyr, it possibly be too much water. I regularly soak them although the soil is well draining. Mr. D, yes these I've since 1996. The grand daddy of them all gave me quite a few offsprings. Speaking of offspring, they too withered along with the older ones. Grrrrrrr.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

August 19, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9247107

why did you water more this summer?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9247300

I watered them because it was hotTER I suppose. I didn't think they are drought tolerant kind of plant. Lack of knowledge!
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

August 20, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9247589

okay, that is what i thought. perhaps, it was a combination of water and heat. mine went pale and somewhat melted when i gave them too much sunlight the first time. i read that konjacs are a forest floor plant and doesn't get that much sunlight. if anything it would be dappled. so, that is what mine get now and they are doing fine even when it is 100+ degrees and low humidity. all the best next year!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9247713

Thanks Mr. D I'll see if I can correct this problem in the near future. I shall return with note of the plants' progress.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9249485

its been discussed here concerning konjac.. but i was wondering if can pertain
to other amorphs as well.. that is.. amount of sun the amorphs are grown in..seems to affect
the height of the vegetative growth.. that is a slight dwarfing in height..
does that sound like a good assumption??
with that..if so.. im thinking with my titanums..when they become more mature..and BIG>> sigh..
lol
that if i grow mine in "more sun" if it might have same affect..that is a slight dwarfing in height??
there is the concern i have..what other affects could/would this "more sun" have on the general
health of the corm..and potential flowering..
thoughts?????
my konjacs... btw.. some have been in full..all day sun.. hot sun.. i do water more often..but the
vegetative growth looks good.. and potted ones..which i like situation better.. have been in
probaly 1/2 day full sun.. they also look good..
i dont know how the corms look yet.. ?? i would think.. u all help here.. if the vegetative growth is
going good..i would think the corm is too????
so much to learn.. and glean from ya all..
thanks...
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

August 22, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9250411

Mine get early morning Sun, then bright shade the rest of the day.
I love fall and now like it even more because when the leaf stalk flops over I can cut it off and dig out the corm to see how big (or small) they got. Flowering I believe shrinks the corm. It takes a lot of energy to push that flower stalk up and make that stinkfest of a flower!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9250508

lol tommy.. ya..i had 3 konjac flower this yr.. im wondering the same..how the corms did this summer
our falls here (utah) are generally great.. this yr..i doubt we'll have much leaf colour..its been so dry..
friends with cabins up in mts say leaves are dry and crunchy..so..they'll probably just drop.. :( bummer..
i too am anxious to see how BIG or small :( the corms are...
i do think next yr..i'll pot up all my corms.. maybe the small ones i'll make a raised bed again for them..give them plenty of space
to put on some size.. but i think a shade cloth over them would be appreciated. most of my back yard gets full sun..
hope u end up with some MONSTER corms tommy !!!!! :)
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9271384

ive been giving all my amorphs higher P fertilizer last 3 weeks..
with one of my bigger konjacs ..the pot.. black plastic..its heavy weight pot too...
is actually showing some bulging on sides.. mmmm.. im thinkin that i probably should have
put the corm in a bigger pot.. lesson learned...
im hoping it hasnt had any adverse affect on the corm.. guess i'll find out in a month or so..
weather here has definately shifted..
nites are actually hitting mid 50sF now.. days are in mid/low 80s F still..
id love for a long fall with moderate temps.. but.. mother nature will dish out what
she dishes out..
hope all others are having sucess with their amorphs this season !!!
hope ya all post how big your corms got...
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

September 10, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9271405

Hi tropicalnut777!
Mine are doing fine so far. An occasional thunderstorm knocks over 1 or 2 now and then but they seem to take it o.k. as long as none of the leaf breaks. As it gets cooler/colder they wil start to flop over. That's when the fun starts! Cut off the leaf stalks, dig em up, get the babies and dry them off for the winter!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9271431

this is my 1st yr..so im anxious to see how everything did.. :)
you must have some strong winds there???
i am curious to see if i got babies..and how big the mother corm got this season...
i have a big canning storage area in basement..stays real stable temps..60F has doors
on the shelves..so the corms can stay in dark..until i bring them out next spring..
?? tommy..when do your konjac usually give it up in fall?? mid oct??
if season is "normal" whatever that means.. lol
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

September 11, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9272132

Yes they can stay in the dark. Near first frost they are usually flopped over. That's when I dig them out, get any babies corms and dry them off. Our first frost here is around Mid October.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9288296

r u digging any yet tommy?
weve had some chilly nites.. mid/low 50sF but looks like were going into a slight
warming up for a week..or so..
i do have one konjac that has flopped over..
?? tommy..do you dig then..or let the leaf dry some??
this is my 1st yr..so im really a newbie.. :)
sure love these plants !!!!!!
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

September 28, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9288882

we are starting to cool down here at night. i've had one flop over, too. the 3-pounder continues strong. i have found that i have to leave mine in the pots. they just shrivel or develop dry rot in my arid climate.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

September 29, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9290063

tropicalnut777,
Starting to pull them out of their pots now. Doing small ones now, big one's over the next week.
dig them up, keep them dry and bring inside to a cool place. As you clean off the dirt look for the babies.

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9290110

thanks tommy .. :)
post some pics of your corms for this yr.
i will when i start digging..
only 1 has flopped over.. i cut the leaf off just above the soil..
i cant believe sept is almost over...??? where did it go????
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

September 29, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9290136

I don't have it! IF I knew where it was it wouldn't be gone!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9290429

lol.. same here.. wow..fall is here..
halloween will be before we know it..
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9292724

well heres my 1st out of the soil.. :) yea !!
lol
i planted this one in full sun..directly in the garden..in a raised bed..
i dont plan to do that again..at least not with direct sunlight..
this one is 7 1/2 in across..almost 7 in. tall.. im guessing
on weight..maybe 5- 6 #s..
this one was barely 4 in across when i planted it ..end of may..
so..it almost doubled.. even though it looks like it over doubled in
size.. my imagination.. LOL :)
im anxious to see the big ones i planted..they are in pots..
i have another one that was same size as this one..but the leaf hasnt
drooped yet..so im leaving it alone.. it also is in same raised bed as this one
came out of..
good fun !!!!!!

This message was edited Oct 1, 2012 4:55 PM

This message was edited Oct 1, 2012 4:56 PM

Thumbnail by tropicalnut777

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

October 2, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9293446

Nice took out my biggest one yesterday, photos sometime today!
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

October 2, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9293467

O.K., just took some photos. First up my biggest. She's 8 1/2 pounds:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

October 2, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9293469

Next a smaller 3 1/2 pounder:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

October 2, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9293473

And finally a smaller, golf ball sized one:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9293495

great pics tommy !!!
your big one..those are some nice roots...
you grow yours in pots yea???
only one..from pic..was in full sun.. and didnt have near the roots
as yours..i wonder if all that sun..was just overwhelming for the plant..???
were to have some chilly weather end of week.. i may be doing alot of digging
this next week.. have to see how potted up ones did..compared to in the garden..
again.. great corms tommy !!!!
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

October 2, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9293653

Yes, mine are all in pots. They got early morning Sun then bright shade the remainder of the day. I'll be cleaning up that big one as it dries, getting all the roots and dirt off.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

October 3, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9295343

looking good tropicalnut and tommy! i have dug up mine in the past. they end up rotting and shriveling up. :( i am going to try leaving them in their pots this winter.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9295622

For as long as I've them, since 2006. In my zone, they are hardy outdoor, but critters seem to dig them up ... so those that I brought indoor are in pot, and kept in the makeshift green house. I've not dug them out and let them stay dormain like Tommy does.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

October 7, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9298555

nice to hear that, lily_love. i will keep mine in pots. they will be in the cool garage for winter.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9317417

i dont know if anyone has asked this.. whats the tallest/biggest vegetative growth
anyone has had? ive seen some pics ..somewhere..im loosing it..LOL.. i think it was a
konjac..grown in a greenhouse.. it was over 6 ft tall..thats the tallest ive seen..
my biggest corms got around 52 inches..i think..i know ive written this down somewhere..
how bout u all??
i see guy that had biggest konjac last yr on ebay.. his biggest ones are 1/2 weight of last yrs..
they did well..just was HOT/DRY and im sure like me..i had to water frequently..
i know next yr..im going to water more..fertilize more..and pot all my corms up..and keep in
more sun sheltered area..i gave them to much sun this last summer..
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

October 28, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9317763

My biggest Konjac was about 5 feet tall.
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

October 28, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9317949

My biggest this year is 47" tall (120 cm.) and has a spread of over 62" (168cm.).
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9318141

mine was around same size..in height.. wonder if one i saw in pic.."???somewhere"??
lol had been fertilized with radioactive fetilizer..LOL :)
i see some nice konjac corms up on ebay.. sigh.. temptation.. LOL
it is a drug..isnt it.. :)
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2013
5:31 PM

Post #9407404

hows everyones konjac doing??
a few of mine are showing signs of comming alive.
yea.. :) i plan to keep them in coolish room still..
this is only my 2nd yr with amorphs..so.. newbie..lol
i dont know if has any affect on the corm to flower sort of
early..and then potted up..
last yr was ok.. ive learned i need to fertilize more..and
water more.. it was a HOT summer too..though..
also..i need to keep them in less sun.. foliage did fine..but
they got full blast of summer sun.. 9+hrs.. i think a bit to much
of full sun.. so...
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

February 4, 2013
3:17 PM

Post #9408480

Mine are all still dormant, no signs yet of them starting to wake up. Keeping them near the floor level so they stay cooler thus delaying them waking up too early.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

February 6, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9410116

Mine are good but dormant. I left the pots on the patio during five consecutive days of 22º to 28º lows. I dug them up a couple of weeks after that to check them and they are fine. That is a relief!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9410144

Tough little tubers aren't they Mr. D? Mine are dormant too I hope. Haven't seen sight of them.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

February 7, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9411586

Lily_love, they sure are! i am looking forward to keeping them going longer this year and fertilizing them well.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9411960

tucson..good to hear your corms did ok..
i plan to be more attentive to my watering/fertilizing routine
this season.. it was a tough summer ..not as bad as some in the
states..but..really dry..not super hot like some places..
im also shaking up..and simplifying my potting mix this season too..
i over think on some things.. lol mmm.i guess i am adhd..:) LOL
in my reading..many posts from here.. im going to use more bark
fines in my mix..less peat/coir.. i know it will increase the drainage..so
i will have to do more watering..but better for the corms.. especially for
my titanums
anxious like u all for dormancy to break..warmer temps..and back at it !!!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9433063

tommy..hows yours your konjac doing?
i think i might move one of mine out into warmer room to get
one started shooting up before the rest..
i think i probably have 5 corms that might bloom this yr..
whew.. 5 blooming near same time..LOL that would be a smell
hehehehe :)
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

February 27, 2013
5:43 AM

Post #9433345

My biggest is waking up. Growing one inch per day now. It's now 14" tall. The others are still sleeping. Here's the early riser:

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 8:44 AM

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9433380

Good gracious! That's amazing Tommy. What do you do to keep the area humidified? The plants look 'right at home' in the picture.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2013
1:51 PM

Post #9433894

tommy..looking great man !!! :)
mine are s l o w l y waking up..LOL i am amazed how
fast they shoot up the flower spike..and then the vegetative
growth..
looking foward to a great growing season..
when mine get more awake..i'll start posting pics too..
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

February 27, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9433951

wow! very nice, tommy! i have never been able to store one exposed to air. it starts to dry rot. perhaps, it is our arid climate. i think that i need to bring mine in the house and warm up the soil. then, i might see some activity!

i am growing plants under lights this winter (see pics). i think i might try keeping a corm growing during next winter.

Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz   Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz   Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz   Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

February 28, 2013
5:10 AM

Post #9434289

Lily_love,
I do nothing to keep the humidity up. All the other plants help keep the humidity around 50%, give or take. I have numberous carnivorous plants there in water trays so that helps a lot. That's in a west facing picture window with a LOT of other different plants. Today she's 15" tall. Growing 1" a day now.

Thanks all!

Tom
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2013
3:06 PM

Post #9434814

ive moved a few into slightly warmer room ..heres a few pics
of the larger ones.. tallest flower spike is 5 in..
hopefully mine will..eventually ..catch up to where tommy's are..
:)

Thumbnail by tropicalnut777   Thumbnail by tropicalnut777         

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

February 28, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9434848

Ooooh, nice corms Trop! They'll get going soon enough!
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

February 28, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9434967

looking good, tropicalnut! i just brought mine inside tonight. perhaps, i will see some activity. they are in pots and the soil will have to warm up. i brought in my delonix and the soil is now up to 70º after several days.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9434977

Whoa! Great going there trop. Tom, thanks for your reply. You and Trop. inspired me to try to keep some of my corms out in the open the following year after the growing season is done. Those look so healthy, mysteriously appealing. Mr. D. Do share how yours will turn out please.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

February 28, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9434989

Tropicalnut, do you know if those will be flowers or leaf petioles?

Lily, i definitely will. they are buried in soil that is 60º. i am sure the soil gets down into the 40s at night. well, they are in a warm room now. i sit and wait. haha! anything going on with yours, Lily?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9434993

Mine are burried in soil and kept in relatively warm non-direct heat basement. I've one sitting outdoor in the element. So I haven't seen any activity as of yet. Like you, I'll be sitting and wait with baited breath. lol
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2013
7:50 PM

Post #9435047

its great to see many more posting their experiences with konjac..!!
for me..its both when the corm is in flower..and puts up its vegetative growth..
the flowers are facinating..and the palm like foliage is too.. good stuff..
tucson.. the corms in pics are sending up flower spikes.. all of those in pics are
6lbs + the biggest is 9in and probably around 10 lbs..
ive learned alot over last yr growing amorphs..and the various species..
with all of them..im going to use a better draining potting mix..and incorporate
more phosphate..
last yr i used my own compost,coco coir (which i think held to much moisture)
perlite..and fertilizer mix..
this growing season..im going to use pine bark,pumice (3/8" size) peat and fertilizer
mix..
i know i'll be watering more..but i think the corms will benifit from it..
especially my titanums..
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 1, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9435488

whoa! tropicalnut, i did not gather that from the pic. thanks for the correction. where did you order yours?

good luck with you new soil mix and fertilizer. i am using kellogg cactus and palm mix straight from the bag. i will probably add some vermiculite to the mix this season. i need to keep them better irrigated and fertilized. i have a couple of things i want to try. i will consider transplanting them next growing season after i figure out what i have. i did not mark the pots. lol
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9435525

lol..tucson..u do that too.. :)
i plant things up..i know what they are when they come up..
then end of season..inside overwintering.and...??? what is that???
LOL some amorphs are so similar until they get abit larger.. so difficult to
decide which is what..
i got most of mine off ebay..then from them directly when we coorespond
over time.. sometimes they let some biggies go..that wouldnt have been put
on ebay..
ive gotten some fantastic EE's that way.. someone on ebay telling me about
this guy/gal..email them..we coorespond for awhile..i pester them and pester
them..and they give in after i beg enough..for a certain plant..:)
good luck to u too this growing season..i guess u have moderate winters..
but HOT summers..
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 1, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9435862

Trop, i have always bought my konjacs from here. http://www.boberosa.com/lily.html i will not have to buy any this year since mine are still alive. haha! i want to try paeonifolius but will have to find a reliable source.

the soil has warmed up to 68º since i brought the pots inside last night. now it is just a waiting game to get more heat into the pots and the amorphs to respond to the consistent warmer temps.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 1, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9435866

i just figured out what is what from this photo. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9205559#axzz2ML5bRm2E this is the guy that i think should be transplanted.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9438597

heres a question for u all on out of soil stored corms..
?? when the corms flower they take alot of food from the corm
to produce the flower..some of my BIG flowering corms last yr
reduced by 1/4 after flowering..oh that a diet was that easy..LOL
ok..im off my topic.. lol
so?? if i could give the corm some external food while in flowering
stage..maybe that would help the corm..and it would "maybe" not
be so drained from the flowering..
???so ..i was thinking..not spraying any NPK on the corm..but..
maybe water soluable kelp.. or..maybe a very very weak solution
of fertilizer...???
maybe someone is doing this already..??
what do u all think???
much thanks..
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 5, 2013
4:37 AM

Post #9439246

very interesting idea, tropicalnut. i am interested to see what others have to say. i never thought it was possible because the leaf is required to convert those nutrients into photosynthesis byproducts that the tuber can then store. it also seems like roots would be needed to draw in the nutrients. perhaps, tubers do it differently and what you propose is possible.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9439428

thats my thinking too.. i dont know the % of energy the leaves give..im guessing
the larger %..but we fertilize our plants..many nutrients get taken in thru the roots
of course the corms dont have active roots bareroot when flowering.. but it would be
good to see some "scientific" discussion on absorption by the corm..
?? thought..i think i'll drop a line to lari ann gardiner..shes a plant scientist..
she would know..
ive lost touch with old friends at university..so prob would be odd for me to drop them
a line.. theres also a dude ..wow..did i just write that..LOL at univ florida tallahasee..
he would know too..
if i get feedback ..ill post ..
hope to see some discussion on this..
much thanks...
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 5, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9439469

i only water and fertilize during the growing season. i hope that you find some answers.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

March 5, 2013
2:31 PM

Post #9439869

I too only water during the growing season. When the plant goes dormant it won't need any ferts you give them. When I see a new leaf spike pop out of the soil I begin ferts and watering.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 5, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9439957

soil is up to 75º now. i image that this will jump start the tubers. i hope to see flower and leaf spikes soon.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9439987

i bet your flower spikes will shoot up soon tucson..
tommy?? in pougkeepsie the relative humidity is pretty high..
even in winter...?? here in utah..we have relatively low humidity..
when i 1st moved here for school..(originally from midwest) i had bloody
noses for ever until my body got use to it here..:)
on anything for the dormant corms going into flower.. i wondered
if would help the corms by spraying lightly..and if use of fertilizer..or
just kelp on them would help them any...
my konjac are shooting up nicely.. i'll take some pics and
post.. last yr seemed once the flower spike got going..it was on
fast track to grow..grow ..grow..
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

March 6, 2013
3:45 AM

Post #9440339

Indoor humidity (I have forced air heating) is 30-60% or more usually.
My Konjac is growing 4 inches a day now. 37 1/2" currently.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9441065

that is so cool tommy !! mine are taking there own sweet time..LOL
?? do u talk to yours?? hehehee LOL
i know mine will pick up..they have only just started to shoot up so..
thats not bad on the RH tommy.. i doubt mine is over 30%..i think it
helps ..me and the plants that i boil water on the stove some.. picks up
the RH in the house..
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 6, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9441073

that is very nice, Tommy!

tropicalnut, the things we do for our plants. lol ;-)

i am looking forward to pics of the flowers that ya'll post.

the humidity near the plants is ~ 50%. that is because i watered many of them on saturday. not the tubers! humidity in the room is 42% away from plants. i am looking forward to pics of the flowers. i am trying to avoid the urge to poke around and feel for the tip of a spike. someone stop meh! lol soil at 76º.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 6, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9441106

i could not help myself! lol here are some pics from just now.

the pot i.d. is 11" and its height is 10.5". i think that i should add some more soil so that the petiole(?) base has more support. the soil is bone dry right now.

Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz   Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz         

tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 6, 2013

Post #9441108

the tuber is planted at an angle and the base of the tip is ~ 2.5" below the soil surface. is that deep enough or should i bury it deeper?
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

March 6, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9441112

Deeper. About 5 inches below the top of the soil.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 6, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9441124

i can just barely do that in the current pot and still add a layer of crush clay shards for mulch. the pot most likely be filled to the brim but it will work. next growing season i can consider a 7-gal pot if it grows more.

i guess the base is 3-5 inches from the bottom of the pot.

Tommy, thanks!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9441164

very cool tucson.. ??? your potting mix.. do u use turface?
or DE chips? i bet u have great drainage in those pots..do u
have to water alot then??
ive been doing my rounds at lowes/homedepot..finding any HUGE
pots on sale.. lowes had some..but not the really big ones..which is
what i really want..
i agree with tommy.. the konjac that did the best last yr..were
depending on size of corm..largest..were 6" under top of soil..
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 6, 2013
5:37 PM

Post #9441234

hi tropcialnut,

i use Kellogg All-Natural Palm and Cactus Mix straight out of the bag. then, i add a layer of crushed clay shards to the top for moisture retention. this is what the strata of the clay shards look like. there is only about 1" on top of the soil.

i water every 2-3 days during the growing season when temps are hot. i grow them in the shade.

ones that were planted at a shallower depth did not do too good? i will be sure to plant everything deeper next season.

i found the large black nursery pots at our local hydroponics shop. they are ridiculously priced at the big box stores. i was able to get 25 gallon tough, sturdy black nursery pots for less than $15.

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9441243

nice mix tucson.. i know on some soil mix forum one ingredient
is turface.. i dont have a local source for it..so im using pumice instead..
and its lightweight..doesnt break down like perlite..i also cant find a local
source for "larger" "chunky" perlite.. i can get all the 3/8" pumice my heart
wants here..:)
i agree on prices on BIG planters/pots.. i wish box stores would put some of
these on sale ..maybe in mid winter..just to sell them out.. id be in line...:)
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 6, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9441250

i have always preferred pumice over perlite. lots of pumice in the kellogg mix. i do not mix the clay shards in the mix though.

good luck with your pot search.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

March 9, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9444108

Here's my biggest today. 52" from the top of the corm. Paper Towel roll for scale:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2013
3:59 PM

Post #9444163

By golly, isn't that impressive!!! Tommy, I want to learn to grow my plants from you. Would you accept me as your student? Did that same corm bloom last year as well?
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9444184

very cool tommy !!!! :) thats a great sized flower spike..
?? what sized corm is that one??
from looks of pic..it'll probably bloom less that a week..
mine are shooting up now.. its one of the things that make
amorphs so fun,interesting,curious.. the flowering..and the
palm like vegetative growths..
these are very fun plants !!!
keep posting pics tommy !!!!!!
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 9, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9444310

that is really nice, Tommy!
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

March 10, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9444624

Today the plant is 54 1/2" tall. The corm is 7 1/2" across.

Lily, yes it bloomed last year. These are VERY easy to grow. A very well draining potting mix with extra perlite is all I use. Feed once a week during the growing season. Very early morning Sun, then bright shade the rest of the day OUTSIDE after last frost date has passed. In the fall when the leaf stalk flops over dig it out, clean off the dirt. Let dry. Brush off remaining soil and place in a cool spot indoors.

Tom
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9446262

heres a couple pics of my konjac..tallest has a 14" flower spike
other largest corm has a 12" spike..others are commin along..:)

Thumbnail by tropicalnut777   Thumbnail by tropicalnut777   Thumbnail by tropicalnut777      

tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 12, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9446973

hmmm...you should change your screen name to aroidnut! lol :) those are some nice tubers, trop. are those crinium leaves?
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 12, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9446985

here's a question or two for ya'll that store them in open air during the winter? do you let the roots dry up and fall off naturally after you pull them out of the soil in autumn. i have always seemed to get dry rot while storing them and i wonder if it is because i pull off the healthy roots.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2013
10:56 AM

Post #9447007

Ok, I am doing something wrong, I have had mine for 3 or 4 years and it has not grown anything like the way your guys are growing.. I guess maybe I am not fertilizing enough?

I live in Missouri but have a solar room, so it can get an early enough start and they do grow but nothing to the size you guys are talking about.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

March 12, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9447162

tucsonplumeriaz,

After digging mine up and removing any babies I let them dry and then the roots easily come off.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2013
2:01 PM

Post #9447178

tucson..i do the same as tommy.. i wash mine real well..then when the roots
are brittle..i just brush them off..
no tucson..those leaves are amaryllis papilio.. i love the flowers on them..
i have a couple HUGE bulbs from a WONDERFUL gal in cali.. im hoping to
get a couple more..
happgarden... i think in MO .. do your konjac bloom..but just dont go into a
good vegetative growth??
with your sunroom you would get a nice start with the corms potted up..
one thing i have learned ..its when the amorphophallus is ready..thats when it
does what its ready to do.. flower..or go into foliage..
i thought i could get my tropical ones into a set dormancy in dec-feb.. NOT..
lol.. they will do what they are %$()$%&*( ready to do.. :) lol
dont give up on them though.. they are wonderful plants...
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 12, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9447254

okay, i was definitely not doing that! thanks, guys!

happgarden, there are some good growers in this thread that can get you on the right track. cheers!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

March 12, 2013
5:02 PM

Post #9447364

The amorphs that I dig out I leave in the soil for a few weeks at least after the leaves have totally withered. When they're lifted there's no roots except for traces of withered ones. Every last drop of nutrient is in the tuber.Then, as soon as they start to sprout they go back into soil so roots can start. I noticed my titanum always put roots out first before the shoot started to grow. Makes sense.

Dave I got papilio several years ago but they've never flowered. The bulbs have grown huge, multiplied, but flowers, a big NO! Like most of those Hippeastrums they need the cold. There are some tropical ones, but colours are more plain reds and pinks. They multiply very rapidly but will also flower here. If you were closer I'd give you all my papilios, unfortunately they're only foliage plants here.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 12, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9447377

thanks for the info, tropicbreeze.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9447404

with all the tropicals i grow anymore..maybe i need to move to
downunder.. :)
i dont know alot about hippeastrums/amaryllis..all the papilio's ive had
were "smallish" bulbs.. and then lady in cali and i became garden friends..
she has the biggest papilio bulbs..mm.m.. not liking the way this is sounding
ok.. lets go this way.. the papilio bulbs she ...grows.. ya..better..
they are monsters.. easy..6" across.. last yrs depleted alittle..they did flower for
me.. they are more green/ with dark maroon stripes.. very cool colours...
??? tropic... hows your titanums doing???
one of my smaller corms is just starting with new vegy shoot.. other smaller one
just dropped its vegy foliage.. i transplanted it...into better soil.. and like u said..
the corm already has new bright white roots .. yea !!!
i hope i grow well..and it doubles/triples in size.. slightly smaller one is about 2"
across.. didnt weigh it..should have..
sorry im going on about titanum on konjac forum..
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2013
8:17 AM

Post #9447942

I get good vegetative growth, but mine have never bloomed, but the bulb size is nothing like what you guys are getting.

A friend gave me another and I guess because of the solar room, it grew in the late fall and was alot of fun to have it in there with the other tropicals. Course it wasn't blooming, I might of changed my mine if it had.

Do they need cold? I have not put mine in the cold at all.

Maybe I should just buy a bigger bulb for instant gratification.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 13, 2013
11:00 PM

Post #9448668

check out this site, happgarden. http://www.boberosa.com/lily.html i bought a 3-lb tuber last spring. i hope it blooms this spring!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9448901

Yes I saw that earlier in this thread which gave me the idea of buying a bigger one. I will be curious to see a bloom but just the leaf is amazing enough.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 14, 2013
10:39 AM

Post #9449106

i agree, happgarden. just the leaf alone makes me happy. :) a stinky flower now and then is fun, too. lol
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2013

Post #9449466

arent amorphs great.. i dont have alot of species.. yet.. LOL
there are some very cool smaller ones.. and not as needy of special
growing conditions..
there are a couple growers that sell on ebay.. one guy has many species
sells couple times a yr on ebay.. i know one guy i coorespond with grows more
"smallish" ones..just because of space..and overwintering..
space isnt my problem..its the overwintering..or what do i do with this
14 ft tall titanum and a 9 ft ceiling..???? LOL
good stuff for sure..
post pics everyone... i will on progress of mine.. :)
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 14, 2013
8:41 PM

Post #9449796

i'd like to see the 14' titanum! : )
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2013
2:29 PM

Post #9450584

lol..maybe next yr..:)
i lost my big one..sigh.. &*(#$&*(%$ but..i know i will
have some that size..not this yr.. but..next. ive been checking out
places i can rent (greenhouse,or even space in a big greenhouse)
for the future.. until i get one put up..
if you do want some to see some pics of some fantastic titanums..
got to tindaraorchids website..or google search amorphophallus titanum
pictures tindaraorchids..
wow !!
i plan on a trip back east this yr..just to see their greenhouse full of
monsters..
i know i'll probably pass out..LOL :)
of course i want to see flowering..but for me..the vegetative stage is just
as exciting.. im truely a sick man..LOL :)
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2013
7:49 PM

Post #9450878

tommy?? couldnt remember if i ever asked u what u use
as potting mix with your konjac ???
have u found anything that works especially well for your corms??
ive changed my potting mix..for this season..
ive read alot on container forum here..and tapla has posted excellent
info on pine/fir bark as main component in potting mix..
ive read other places on it as well..and good things..
i think it will be good in having better drainage of water (no soggy potting
mix)..but i know i will be watering more often..which im ok with..
i will take some more pics of my konjac next couple days..
this yr..the flower spikes arent as tall as last yr.. but the corms havent
shrunk as much as they did last yr..which makes sense.. less depletion of
energy from the corm to produce the flower spike..
dont know why .. but maybe when they get potted up..produce vegy growth..
the corms will put on some serious size this season...??? guess i will find out..
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

March 16, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9451290

Trop,
I use a regular potting MIX (not soil) and about equal part Perlite for drainage/aeration. Potting MIX is lighter than potting soil. Miracle grow is my favorite, Pro-Mix.

Mine has begun it's "Stink mode"! Photo shortly. The flower is open now.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2013 5:28 PM
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9451544

mmm..the smell of a freshly opened amoph..LOL :)
heres couple pics of mine..
they arent growing as tall??? wonder what that may/or may not mean
when they send up vegetative growth.. anyone have any ideas??
i like pro-mix too..just cant find it locally anymore..sigh.. so making my
own mix.. :)

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

March 16, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9451561

Well leaf growth is essential to corm and flower growth. So during the growing season it's REALLY important to feed the plant well. The faster the corm grows, the faster you get to flowering stage, which is about softball size of larger.

Don't take a short plant as inferior.

Tom
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9451612

thats what im thinking too tommy..
its just my 2nd yr with amorphs..so truely grateful to u all
that have grown these fantastic plants for awhile..
last yrs konjac flower stalks were double the height of this yrs..
i was thinking with less energy taken out of the corm..perhaps the
corm would have a bit better start out when they get potted up..and
get their foliage up.???
feeding... yes.. i tend to be stingy with fertilizing..LOL not like its comming
off my plate.. heehehe..
i do this with all my tropicals.. until last yr.. i fed my nanners,EE's alot more
plan to do same with my amorphs this growing season..
so thanks for the good reminder..and advice tommy !!!
cant wait to see your flower pics... hint.. hint... :)
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

March 16, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9451695

Here ya go! Shot this morning.

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

March 16, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9451696

Another:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9451701

sigh..very cool tommy !!!
how big is this flower??
the flower spike was??? 50"+ isnt it??
dont ya just love these plants !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hope we have a good long growing season..
i know ive put in my order with mother nature..
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

March 17, 2013
11:20 AM

Post #9452413

The Flower itself is 30" long the whole plant is now 64" from top of corm to the tip at the top of the flower.

She is stinking real "good" right now.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 17, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9452551

woo hoo! looks like ya'll are having fun in the amorph dept. :)

i see your telescope, Tommy. did you see the comet? i work in astronomy.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9452674

thats a nice flower spike tommy !!
hope u all have a good summer..and maybe u can
get some good growth on that corm..maybe have another
HUGE one end of this growing season ...
ive been picking up HUGE pots off and on now..
i have 2 big konjac..1 really big paeonifolius,and will have
1 big titanum.. so trying to get biggest pots i can find..
so far HD has had biggest ..
and they should do for this growing season..
all things going well..next yr.. different story..
so..i have over a yr to do my searching.. :)
gotta love these plants !!!!
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

March 18, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9453990

tucsonplumeriaz,
It's been cloudy here EVERY DAMN EVENING so no, I haven't seen PanStarrs yet live. That scope is my Meade 2045, i use it for Solar observing. I bought that scope in the mid 80's for Halley's comet.

I recorded sunspot data for the AAVSO solar division for 8 years. I also have a Celestron Nexstar 5. I HAD a Coulter optical 13" dob years ago during the Shoemaker-Levy 9 days.

Here's a shot I took of Comet Hyakutake:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 18, 2013
10:19 PM

Post #9454308

haha! Tommy, I thought that was a solar filter on front. : ) I work at the National Solar Observatory. What a small world!
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

March 19, 2013
3:23 AM

Post #9454373

You are one lucky Son of a gun!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9457298

wow..when these corms want to come alive they do..
here couple pics of my largest konjac..
tallest flower spike is now 52"..and climbing..
next is 37"..
i was wondering if they were going to be short flower spikes
and POW..off they went..
LOL
i have 5 flower spikes..i sure hope they all dont open at
the same time.. whew.. LOL
i may have to move out for a couple days..:)

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

March 21, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9457465

Awesome Trop!

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9457539

tommy?? do u pollinate your flowers for seed?
i did last yr..it worked..but i think it really set the corms
back a bit.. the set "berries"/seeds didnt ripen till almost
july.. then the vegetative growth came up..
im not going to do it this yr.. id like to see how big
i might get some of the corms..
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

March 21, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9457575

I've heard that when Konjacs get very large they have a tendency to split. So you end up with a number of smaller tubers. But they still get quite large before that happens.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2013

Post #9458309

ive read same thing tropic.. i doubt im close to that.. ive chatted with
growers that have had corms as large as 30+ lbs.. thats one big konjac !!
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

March 23, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9458871

tropicalnut777,
No I don't pollinate them.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 23, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9459172

good onya tropicalnut! those are some nice spikes!
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 23, 2013
11:37 AM

Post #9459183

i decided to dig up all of my tubers. i found this bad boy! i do not remember it being this big.

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9459303

thanks tucson..
nice corm there too..
r u going to cut off side buds then plant them too??
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 23, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9459436

I just planted it as is. I want to see what it does.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2013
5:44 PM

Post #9459509

im thinking u will get the mother plant..and smaller baby plants...when
the vegetative growths come up..
ive seen pics of multiple petiole stems like that.. they were planted
in southern states..so they could put them out..in april or so..i would think..
good luck.. hope ya post pics of it ... hint.. hint... :)
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9460396

2 are close to opening up..other 3 not quite yet..
whew..i wont have 5 all blooming at same time..
LOL
heres some pics

Thumbnail by tropicalnut777   Thumbnail by tropicalnut777   Thumbnail by tropicalnut777      

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9466871

and here the big one is fully open..and a sauromatum
had to prop up big konjac corm..flower spike is 71 " above
the corm..and kept tipping over trying to take pictures..LOL
sure hope to get some of my bigger corms GIANTS over this
growing season..
btw.. it hit 68F here today.. yea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9466915

checking out my 5 konjac that have..and are just blooming..and im
sure im slow to pick up on this..but.. my one konjac flower..still open..but
the female "future berries" have gone from the milky white to dark ..
im thinking they are now no longer viable to be polinated..which is fine..
i dont want to do that again this yr..
the flowers opened for maybe a day now.. the female (upper part of flower stalk)
are nice and creamy white..im thinking.. viable to be polinated..
anyone else see this on their flowers..??
im sure im having a DUH moment..LOL
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 30, 2013
11:28 PM

Post #9467291

those of looking nice, tropicalnut! i still see nothing in my pots. perhaps, it is time to put them outside in the sun for more heat. but it cools down into the 50s at night right now.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9486620

?? whos cutting back their spent konjac flowers???
i did 3 today.. last 3 will probably be pretty shrivelled up in another
couple weeks..
i sure hope i get some size put on some of my biggest konjac!!
im going to be a bit more giving with the fertilizing this season..
i am to stingy with fertilizing..i always think less is better..
i find that really true with my bananas..and EE's.. they DEMAND
more fertilizing..last yr..i did..and they responded..
hope the weather cooperates..and isnt to chilly this summer..
if any of you have an in with mother nature..please put in a request
for warm summer !!! :) LOL
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

April 17, 2013
12:40 AM

Post #9486783

And I'm hoping for a warm winter. They've predicted warmer for the first half, and so far (now mid autumn) it's been getting below. Last years was the coldest on record, I'm just hoping it's not still in record breaking mode.

My Konjacs are winding down for the season. Some are already withered and dug up. Some are yellowing, and some even still going. Those I dug up look like they're starting to sprout again. The sprouts are about 7 or 8 millimetres long, and there are what look like roots starting to come out. If they do fully sprout I'll have to put them in pots so I can move them around out of the wind and into more sheltered spots.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9500926

Ok guys, I got me a 3lber bulb like TucsonPlumeria suggested and it arrived on Friday, now what? It is huge. I see little pink nodes on the bulb, but the very center where the stalk was is kind of soft not the bulb, but the stalk remains, should I remove all of that?

Thumbnail by happgarden

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

April 29, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9501800

Give it a slight tug, if it comes off great, if not leave it. What are the night time temps where you are right now? I'm in zone 6 and have one of mine planted outside now. Don't worry about the old stalk if it doesn't come off. Nature will handle it.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2013
6:21 PM

Post #9501830

im getting ready to start potting up my konjac..
yea..
ive been doing my searching around for as big pots i
can.. hopefully corms will put on some nice size this season !!!
still a bit chilly nites here..so i'll keep them inside till we get
nites staying in the 50s.F.. lately its been really nice.. days high 70sF
nites mid to high 40sF..so.. hopefully cant be far off!!!
YEA...
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2013
8:43 PM

Post #9502050

Our temps lets see 80 today thursday high 46...think i will wait a bit before i throw anything outside.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9503363

Ah hah, I've one flower stalk coming up from one that I kept outdoor. Unfortunately, my pc is giving me trouble uploading pics. So there is no photo available. :((
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9629356

Guys back in the spring I ordered a 3lber and it is up and has a beautiful leaf. Then one day it started leaning, then we were suppose to have thunder storms so I brought it in the solar room (which doesn't have any solar since it is August) and tied it to the sliding glass door handle...not overly handy for us but oh well.

Is this normal? Do you stake yours? When I potted it I put it in soil with slow release fertilizer in it. I have not added any since planting it. After going back and reading I think I should of been fertlizing it all along.

I thought I had lost my konjac from last year but now in the beginning of August it is just started growing? Is that normal ? I think it has done this since day one. Is it on Austrialian time?
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

August 14, 2013
7:10 PM

Post #9630969

I do not stake mine but it sounds like you need to turn the pot to the opposite side as the plant will grow towards the strongest light source. This is called, "Phototropism".
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9633664

tommy?? so are you expecting any really huge corms at the
end of this growing season with your konjac???
i have 1 konjac that was pretty good sized..i think it was around
9 inches when i potted it up.. it is my tallest konjac this season..
i would love to see a 14in + corm .. LOL..
it was a slow go starting this season for me.. well.. for the amorphs..
all of them actually.. and a hot dry summer..
i had to move the titanums into almost all shade..just to get them out
of the heat..they still got morning sun.and filtered sun later in the day..
these plants (konjac ) truely bring us all kinds of fun .. early spring...flowering..
then pot them up with hopes of some nice corm growth.. very cool "palm like"
foliage.. then the expectation end of season..what to find the corms did
all season..
if we did our part in taking care of them... :)
hope to see some cool pics in sept/oct...
hint.. hint.. :)
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

August 18, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9634208

Not sure what to expect on my biggest one. She looks good though. My other biggest one (an 8" corm) did NOTHING at all. It's sitting under my back patio on a stand. A 3rd one is just now out starting to grow. It was a weird year for me with these. My smallest ones are all up and doing well so far.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2013
9:44 PM

Post #9634755

Here are my konjacs that have just started growing. I think they are on Aussie time... LOL

Thumbnail by happgarden

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9634990

it sure has been an odd yr gardening..
my other tropicals just didnt take off like usual..
?? did you have a wet summer there tommy?? cooler temps??
we were $((&^%$))#$ HOT here..and dry.. we had a really nice rain last friday..
lawn sure appreciated it..
northern ut cities are asking citizens to back off 50% on watering.. its been dry here
i still think im not fertilizing my konjac like they need
?? tommy.. once the konjac are in leaf.. whats your fertilizing routine..what levels
of fertilizer..etc...???
i fertilize everytime i water..which this summer has been about every 3 days.. and i almost
always fertilize with that watering.. but with a slightly weaker solution..
they look great..i do this with all my plants..and i dont think its the best.. im not starving them..
but i think like my EE's.. need much more.. maybe the amorphs too..
???
thanks..
joyce.. way to go on your additions !!!!
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

August 19, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9635225

Spring started off with really cool temps., I think that was the slow down reason.

I feed sporadically when I think of it. I should probably feed them more than I do.

Peter's classic 20-20-20 at the full rate. Sometimes, 1/4 rate at every watering.

Here's my biggest right now.

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

August 19, 2013
11:17 AM

Post #9635228

And some of the babies:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9635275

Great pictures! Those are alot of nice babies. What are the other things in the photo?
I planted in that slow release fertilizer potting soil, but probably should fertlize some during the growing season. I don't know how well that soil actually works.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9635418

super pics tommy!!
im hoping we get a nice lonnnnggggg late summer..so at least the konjac will be ok
outside..
im not planning much later than early/mid sept and bring the titanums in..
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9635426

Mine are in pots and the big guy is already in the solar room because of the leaning problem and the winds...I am getting things ready to come in because this has been an odd summer.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

August 19, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9635499

The other plants with those babies are Dendrobium orchids. I've had them about 5 years now. Thanks for the comments!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9635556

Here is my big guy I purchased. He stands in the pot close to 5ft. I have not measured him alone.

Looked up the orchid, those are beautiful .

Thumbnail by happgarden

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2013
5:25 PM

Post #9635562

joyce..very nice.. your konjac looks like a very happy
camper..:)
i have another friend lives in st louis..he says summer there hasnt
been very good.. very cool nites.. already in low 50sF
nite lows so far here have been couple mid 60sF.. lately have moved
up into high 60s/low 70sF
i sure would love it to stay this way for at least couple more weeks..
were all at the mercy of mother nature though..
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

August 19, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9635586

I'm a bit annoyed with how the low temps have hung on here. This August has had the coldest average minimum for 71 years. Days have been warm though. But it's caused by all the very dry air hanging around here. Dry air heats quickly and chills quickly. Not the way Amorphs like it. We still 'officially' have 2 weeks of winter left.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9635615

We had snow in May! I had already mowed once and enough snow to turn all the grass white. I cant find the pic right now, that was the strangest thing I have seen, since I left Colorado!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2013
7:09 PM

Post #9635699

i follow NOAA climate prediction site.. they have been accurate in "general"
predictions of "patterns" of region weather..
i see in the news tonite..a leak from the UN that they have a report that will now
be released (because of the leak) a study they have done on ocean levels..
if carbon emissions stay at current levels and continue to increase at current levels..
the oceans will be 3 ft (91 cm) higher by 2100..
for me it begs the question.. most of these "studies" have usually proven wrong..on the
short side..
for whatever reason/s global weather is changing..
more extremes,colder,hotter,wetter,drier..
as a gardener.. we have to just adjust to what mother nature throws out at us..
i have cut back my watering..my lawns arent as nice and green..but ..they are ok..
i mulched my vegy garden heavy this yr.. im glad i did. its been so bone dry here
anyways.. i go on.. lol
hope spring and warmer temps show up soon for ya tropic.. especially nite temps..
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2013
7:20 PM

Post #9635720

This is our second year of drought. We are on a well, so no watering of grass at all. I water potted plants and that is about it. I lost about 15 hosta's from last year to this from lack of water. The veg garden is kind of on it's own also.

I think climate change is just what it says, bigger changes in weather than what has been normal. I was looking at old pics of the gardens for years back and nothing looks like what it does now, we have been here about 25 years.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9635785

i have a friend who gardens big time.. over 1000 tomatoes,potatoes,squash,melons,
pumpkins..etc. she sells at farmers market ..this has been the toughest yr for her in..
im not sure how long shes gardened.. over 20yrs..
she irrigates via a well.. last yr the well dried out late july..she watered via "city water"
had a bill that was nuts!!!
i gotta call her and ask how the water is this yr..were drier this yr than last..so im guessing
shes out of well water.. communitites are putting restrictions on water this yr..
i know many gardeners/farmers/ranchers in texas..oklahoma suffered badly last yr..
its one thing when we have to let plants die just cause water restrictions..another when its your
livelihood...
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

August 20, 2013
5:03 AM

Post #9635933

I'm on bore water, my bore goes down 45 metres but the pump is about 40 metres down. Standing water is supposed to be 6 metres (that is water level below the ground surface when the pump's not operating. As long as I have electricity there's no water restrictions (but plenty of high electricity bills). Although we have a half year of flooding rains, we then have a hot very dry winter. Today got up to 38C, still 2 weeks of winter to go.

They said with climate change we'd get more rain. But that's on average. It doesn't mean we won't get high or low annual totals. That's the thing with climate change, there'll be more extremes in both directions, but overall averages will be up.

Very difficult when you're on the land though. Further south went through decades of drought. That was followed by heavy floods. The cattle and sheep weakened by the drought died when they got bogged in the flood waters and mud. Wheat sown followed by heavy rain grows well but when the rain doesn't stop at the right time it rots. It's never easy.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2013
5:32 AM

Post #9635953

Yeap when you are left up to Mom Nature anything can happen for sure. Our tiny bit of saving grace (except for driving in it) our winters have been wetter (snow) otherwise we would be in horrible condition.

Just south of where I live by a small 40 miles away the weather has been much wetter and if you go another 50 miles past that it has been flooding. Oklahoma which is usually hot and dry and been very wet this year, along with more EF5 tornados. Oklahoma has always had it's share of tornado's but not usually such high ones.

The days of irrigation maybe soon become a thing of the past.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9635985

Found my snow day in May...rofl. All the trees are leafed out, grass is green and we had been mowing 2 days before that... very strange. It is not foggy in the distance but snow. Under the trees and closest to the house it was still to warm so the snow melted.

Thumbnail by happgarden

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9636005

i saw on some tv program huge lake that fills in when floods happen in central
australia..lake eyre..
my gooly.. its monsterous..and somehow birds know when the lake forms..they are
more in tune to the weather than we are..
i hope to get another 3+ weeks of outside weather for my titanums.. we'll see..
tropic..do you get over to that one nursery..run by a dr.. on east coast of australia..
has great selection of aroids..tropicals..???
for me..i depend on few enthusiasts in germany..and ebay..for my fix of amorphs..
and ive still not given up on getting a musa ingens.. :) lol
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

August 20, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9636641

VERY nice plant Joyce! I have an aunt Joyce! LOL!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9636678

Well I am an Aunt Joyce...LOL
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9648974

well wont be long before temps drop and we get to see how
we did this summer growing our konjacs..
i was better at my fertilizing this season.. anxious to see how the
corms did..
its truely like xmas..LOL :)
of course the big ones are cool to see if they got HUGE..
i had alot.. probably almost 100 small konjac "fingers" offsets from my
corms ..i stored them over last winter..potted up.. almost all of them put
up vegetative growth..
i think im most anxious to see what they did.
i got some ideas for next yr in my space i keep them
i put them in spot that gets sun up to about noonish.. then dappled sun rest
of the day..they seemed to like it there..
i had some plastic wire shelving i put down..then the pots ontop of that
only ..weight from pots sort of pushed the shelves down..
i want to keep the pots off the ground..better drainage...
i think i'll hit the discount stores and see what i can find ..
good project for the winter...
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 2, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9649090

My small paeoniifolius which started mid winter is still going, it's the only one. The prainii is running full strength as usual in winter. Still only producing leaves so wondering when it's going to decide to flower. The symonianus are showing a slight growing tip so it won't be too long before they start. The 2 smaller titanums are still growing, although the leaves on the larger of the 2 is looking less green than the other. The large titanum is still dormant but I've set a sprinkler on it to keep the moisture up. The albispathus, bulbifer and paeoniifolius are all in soil, so can't see if they're doing anything. The konjac out of soil have started growth, but those that were left in soil still aren't showing.

Dave, I've been to the Dr's place in Cairns, it's an aroidologists paradise. Good luck with the Musa ingens. How many storeys high did you say you were building that greenhouse? I'm going to be away for a month shortly. I probably should have set up web cams in the garden to check in.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9649148

be safe tropic!!
i know id love the cairns nursery..i went to there website.. fantastic!!
i probably wouldnt want to leave..LOL
what ever do u mean..how tall is the greenhouse going to be??
?? do musa ingens get tall??? LOL
not givin up though.. im always up for a challenge..
take care...
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9660803

well the temps are dropping at nite now.. low 60s F..im sure we'll be getting
some 50sF soon..
none of my konjac,and amoph relatives are showing to much stress..
weve had a TON of rain last week or so.. yea..free water!!!!
i'll probably fertilize once more..before the leaves die..and time to uppot..
and see what they did..
just like Xmas !!! :) lol
im especially anixous to see how my biggest konjac did..
i know theres a TON of roots everywhere..
i was better in my fertilizing routine this season.. also..i used a
biological/companion fungicide too.. ??? maybe it helped..
also.. anxious to see how all those baby konjac corms i planted up
did.. in a couple yrs..i could have one major stinky forest.. LOL
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9661297

Yeap our temps are dropping as well. Big Boy I have already brought indoors, so he is in the solar room just sitting around, looking good. The little guys I still have outdoors in a pot but like you they are not showing any stress, but I will probably move them in this week along with some other tropicals.

Post some pics of your stinky forest, would love to see them this close to the forest. Hope you don't have neighbors close or they might call the police on you if they go to stinking too much wondering what you are doing at your house...rofl.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 16, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9661796

I'm still away from home but have been checking our weather on the internet. Average maximum for September so far is 36C. Got our first 38 back in mid August. But unfortunately no rain. Won't be back until end of the month. Where I am now is cold wet and windy with a minimum of 6C this morning. My place minimum was 21C. Probably have a forest of Amorphs emerging when I get back to welcome me home, hopefully.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2013
7:23 PM

Post #9669476

hope all your amorphs are doing well in your absence tropic..
i got neighbour kid to help me haul rest of titanums in..
geesh.. "mr slow" largest titanum now.. FINALLY... sure was
heavy.. im sure 250+lbs..pot,soil,amorph..
got up the steps..and bottom broke out..LOL.. its in 1 piece..so its
ok..but..geeshhh..
everything fit.. this yr.. next yr.. if i dont kill them.. nope.. :) LOL
some of my konjac leaves show signs of dying.. havent had anything
close to frost.. anxious to see how big the corms got..and how many
side corms were formed..
im only using 2 "fabric pots" so far.. titanums are in them.. and so far..
i like them..
i know they'll only last maybe 3 yrs.. but..the plastic ones dont fair much
better than that.. exposure to sun,rain.. the big ones especially..
i especially like the aeration they provide..
still probably to soon to make them "my pots"..LOL..but i like them
so far..
im hoping to see some "rare" species show up on ebay.. id like to
expand what im growing..
theres one guy ..i think in the USA south..that grows alot of species..and
puts new season corms up on ebay..
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9669494

Would love to see pics. Mine are still green and doing good but I brought them in a couple of weeks ago but mine came up really late so maybe they will grow longer into the autumn.

Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden      

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2013
1:22 PM

Post #9672512

sigh..fall is here.. sigh..LOL
we got snow in the mts the other day..rain in valleys..and
temps sure dropped.. sigh..
nites are 40sF i dont think we hit any 30sF here..im sure in northern
utah they did.. days..mid 50sF
the konjac,and relatives look good.. some of the konjac look alittle
frost bit on leaf tips.. they probably got early morning cold. just before
the sun comes out..
it'll be fun to see how they did this growing season..
?? tommy.. have u all had frost where youre at in NY???
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2013

Post #9672548

Thank goodness we have not have frost temps yet. I am still dragging in tropicals indoors. I need a greenhouse and move somewhere warmer...
We are finally getting rain after terrible drought again for the second year.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9672565

we had a hot dry summer here too happ.. up until about a
month ago.. then weve had alot of rain.. my lawn just flipped to
solid green after july/aug with hot dry weather..
i just wouldnt water like everyone else did.. we live in a desert..seems
a waste to use so much water on just the lawn.. now.. my tropicals..:)
thats a different matter..LOL.. but didnt use near the water on them i would have
on the lawns..
im gonna need a tall greenhouse next fall for sure.. my biggest titanums wont fit
in the house next yr.. looks like a project to work on over the winter..:)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2013
11:37 AM

Post #9673305

Same here don't water grass at all but I am on a well. I water the tropicals or anything in a pot and the vegetable garden and that is it. We weren't so terrible hot this year just no rain at all. Getting some now but still have not made up for last year and now this year added to it.

Yeah my next project is a greenhouse built onto the front of my garden room. It will not have a north 'glass' wall because here there is no reason for it except to use energy.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9678524

well weve had our 1st hard frost now..
gotta get everything out of the gardens now..
weve had rain/snow..wanna wait for it to dry a bit..then
start emptying pots and see how my amorphs did...
yea.. christmas..:) lol
hope u all will post pics when u start seeing how your
konjacs..other did this growing season..
what may have helped corms get big,,didnt work..
same here..
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9678593

Brought mine in and they are still growing nicely. No frost yet, down in the 40's but I am ready for when it does.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

October 6, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9679217

Just dug out my biggest, it didn't seem to grow any bigger. All my small corms are out and dry and in the house. I have one more 5-6 incher to dig out, our first frost is usually the middle of October. I can't believe the season is over already...sniff...
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9679259

me too tommy.. sigh.. its what we get for living in north usa..
but we do have wonderful autumns..:)
im sure u do too..
ive unpotted several konjac, relatives..
i planted all the small side corms larger corms put off last yr..
they formed nice 1-2 " corms..YEA..
i havent unpotted largest konjac's yet.. i have them in a sort of
frost protected area..outside.. im waiting for the petiole to start to
wilt..not yet..so..
tons of roots..and root hairs.. so im encouraged by that..
i like the potting mix i used this last growing season..
i also used a biofungicide this yr on regular watering..
i'll get pics on soon..
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9680133

Ok what potting soil did you use, that you liked?
Mine are not wilting yet, the big one seems to be a little drooper but a long ways to go. My little pot is still going strong but it was really late starting.

Does anyone know can you mail a small one while they still have a leaf ?
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9680303

i have wondered if a longggger growing season (extended in greenhouse,warm shelter)
would allow the konjac corms to put on more size..?? thoughts??
ive read,reread posts here on potting mix's best pot drainage,etc..much thanks to
talpa "al" for his expert writtings on this !!!
i made my own version of 5:1:1 mix.. i use 70% small pine bark fines, 30% pumice
i add slow release fertilizers, fish bone meal, zeolite,oyster shell powder..
i am very pleased with this yrs roots on my amorphs !!!
my larger konjac were actually pushing out the bottoms and sides of the pots..
i used pots with 6"+ room on all sides of corms.. the side corms,roots filled up many
of the pots.. i wondered why the potting mix was heaving up over sides of some of the
pots..
happygarden..i would think how big the leaf is on the corm..and how well u can pack it..
if its not a "rare" amorph i guess it wouldnt matter to much..
?? you must have a friend that wants to start growing them.. they are very
interesting, fun to grow and observe plants !!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9680429

Yes, she wanted one but wasn't sure if I should wait until it lost the leaf, but if I do that the problem would arise about the temps. No it is not rare and it is not large. I would guess the leaf is about 10 inches tall or so.

I will try doing my own soil next go around, I have just used potting soil but careful about watering and since we have been in a drought rain has not been a problem. I water only around the edge cause I don't want water sitting on top of the korum. My downfall is I am horrible about fertilizing...I should do alot more, I rationalize it by saying that I live in the middle of farm country and there is so much fertilizer in my pond I shouldn't need to fertlize. Sadly parts of that is true.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2013
3:06 PM

Post #9680544

lol.. i bet u do get some nitrogen in your pond..if u have cattle there..
i bet the local extension service could test it for u ..so u could know
whats in it...? :)
well got almost all my konjac,paeonifolllius, sauromatums dug..and rinsed off..
i am impressed with the roots on them this yr!!!
heres a few pics...
i think there will be around 12 of flowering size..for next spring..
yea.. stinky house.. LOL :)
the white paper is 11 " long for measurement..

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9680546

and heres all the small konjac corms..with some
sauromatums..they also put on nice roots this
season..:)
im gonna have to get alot more 1 gal and 2 gal
pots for next season.. LOL

Thumbnail by tropicalnut777

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9680794

That is amazing there nut777! WOW... you ended up with buckets full and they are huge, Congratulations...now the wait for summer...;) I am going to look up paeonifolllius, sauromatums, I know konacs but not the others.

We will have to live vicariously thru Tropicbreeze, since he is getting into summer..

Already had the water tested, but probably most of the fertilizers come from the fields...sadly. They say it is safe to drink if you are not pregant or a child under a certain age...so what that means is it isn't good to drink...rofl. Probably true about most cities because there is more fertilizers used on lawns than farm fields...
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2014
9:43 AM

Post #9793028

So excited! I have a bloom coming on! Least I think I am excited it iss in the solar room which is part of the house, and I have never smelled one bloom...LOL and since I am zone 5 it is not going outside.

Thumbnail by happgarden

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2014
8:39 AM

Post #9793780

way to go happgarden!!! :)
i dont think konjac smells all that bad..mmm..does that say something
about me??? LOL :)
i guess if ya had dozens..or 100s in bloom at same time it could be a bit ripe..
i have 7 konjac in full bloom now.. some getting close..
weve had a very "typical" spring here.. spells of warm days,then wind,and chilly (not cold)
nites.. lettuce is liking it..:)
i have been taking out some of my tropicals putting them in sun on nice days..
now im beginning to gather ingredients for potting mix..for later.. mayish.. when everything
gets potted up and goes outside to grow!!
keep us posted happgarden on how yours do during the growing season...
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2014
9:10 AM

Post #9793803

I will, I have Stapelia gigantea looks like a star fish, getting ready to bloom for the first time. Some say it smells but it isn't open yet either. Our spring is strange, we hit 70 one day and snow the next...odd.

So did I read correctly since the Voodoo Lily is blooming it won't put up a leaf?
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

March 20, 2014
1:55 PM

Post #9793995

Nice growing Happ! Congrats! I have 1 myself growing and the others haven't started to wake yet.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2014
4:51 PM

Post #9794125

hey to u tommy!!
voodoo lily..aka amorphophallus..many species..:) seems most common one
grown is konjac.. when corms get to maturity..they will flower..again..depending on
the species.. after flowering..they will then go into vegetative stage..thats when the
leaf pops up.. this is what restores the corm..hopefully making a larger corm..for next yr..
with konjac..mine flower around this time of yr..mid march.. (they are all of course inside)
flower lasts for maybe a week.. then starts to wilt..that can take anywhere from several weeks
to a month +.. also depending on if you pollinate the flower.. i dont anymore.. i did 1st yr i grew them..just for fun..got alot of berries "seed" .. but it slows down time for flower petiole to wilt..
which for me.. delayed time for leaf petiole to come up.. and for me..my desire is to get larger
corms..
i keep my konjac in probably more sun than i should.. they dont suffer ..but.. they are heavy
feeders..i find.. they go till 1st moderate hard frost here.. mid oct for me..
then its unpot.and see how i did..:) like christmas in oct.. lol
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2014
6:07 PM

Post #9794184

Thank you thank you for the info. I wasn't sure how long it would last or if I would get a leaf. I do love the looks of the leaf so much. Mine are in a solar room, complete glass on 3 sides just not on the top. So all winter they get lots of sun but they go dormant in the fall anyway.

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2014
3:36 PM

Post #9794871

happ..im sure your amorphs are lovin it in your sun room..:)
i like the foliage as well..as much as the bloom..
the blooms dont last long..so i take many pics ..
i kept several of my largest titanums in front ..i got alot of comments..
"wow,what kind of palm tree is that?" :) hehehee
did have a college botany student stop..and she knew what it was..it was fun to
talk plants.. :)

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2014
8:24 PM

Post #9795053

Well I live in the middle of no where so no one to talk about plants with... once a year I drag the master gardeners over here..rofl.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America