Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Caudiciforms: Spring awakening - Adeniums

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 23, Views: 206
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
12:25 AM

Post #7680624

This is an Adenium obesum hybrid ordered online (unseen) last year. It was pretty ugly at that time due to radical, bad pruning and a scared caudex. Three weeks ago I cleaned it up and cut the stems back to get rid of "the crown" of smaller etiolated sidestems. I wanted to get a nicer ramification and a more bushy compact look.

Now it has 20-21 sidestems, and I am hoping it will benefit from a little "training"/wiring.:-)

Regards,

Martin

Thumbnail by MartinDK
Click the image for an enlarged view.

helenchild
Decatur, GA

April 5, 2010
3:46 AM

Post #7680700

Very nice Martin. I like its chunky form.
Helen
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
4:22 AM

Post #7680756

Helen, thanks. I like the squat form, too.

Here is another one leafing out. The caudex is somewhat shriveled due to lack of water.

Regards,

Martin

Thumbnail by MartinDK

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 5, 2010
5:08 AM

Post #7680835

Very nice.

I like the caudex more than the flowers. Some nurseries seem to be getting carried away with the flowers.

Thank you for posting your photos.
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #7681172

Molamola,

Exactly. I am more into shape than flowers.

The climate around here is temperate with short cool summers. Definitely not suitable for fast Adenium growth and flowering, so I focus on shape instead.

Regards,

Martin
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 5, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7681445

Where did you order it from and how large was it when you got it? I want to order a few but am overwhelmed and maybe underwhelmed by any local sellers. I want some larger specimens of known flower type but see few sellers not located in a far away place.
C
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2010
9:44 AM

Post #7681451

I am waiting for the same answer,

Doris
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 5, 2010
9:45 AM

Post #7681455

After looking at your post more carefully, I now realize you might not be able to suggest a local source. But your plants are lovely regardless.
C
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2010
10:56 AM

Post #7681622

I noticed it was Denmark but was hoping he got it on the Internet. I got a small plant from 7-Heads on ebay, it is doing great Ijust wrote to ask if he has larger plants, he is in Hawaii
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
11:29 PM

Post #7683282

Hello,

I bought it on http://www.uhlig-kakteen.de/ - a reputable german nursery. However, I was not that content with the Adenium they sent me.

Regards,

Martin
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
11:38 PM

Post #7683289

Newtonsthirdlaw,

if you want Adenium specimen, you should look at http://www.aridlands.com. They still have some large and beautiful specimen for sale (but quite expensive, 200-300 USD). A. multiflorum and A. arabicum among others.

Take a look and drool ;-) : http://www.aridlands.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=148_159

Another site: http://www.snowbeltadeniums.com/

Regards,

Martin
helenchild
Decatur, GA

April 6, 2010
3:43 AM

Post #7683396

Here is another source.

[HYPERLINK@highlandsucculents.safeserver.com]

Helen
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 6, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #7683721

LOL I might drool over those worth 200-300 but won't be buying one. I was looking for larger than seedlings but still within my budget. I have not found a local source for any adeniums yet. I bought the one I have at a Home Depot store and I guess it was just luck I found it. I will look at those sites and buy a few specimens.
C
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #7683951

I have purchased from this company and they are very good, and pack plants very carefuly, they are located in Hawaii, prices and mailing is reasonable too.
7_heads in ebay

Doris

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #7683954

I went to their site to get you the URL for the store, they have a lot of other plants also so just scrole down.

Doris

http://www.auctiva.com/stores/viewstore2.aspx?id=429517&styleid=72
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #7687608

awesome adeniums man
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 8, 2010
7:52 PM

Post #7690764

I think I will try Snowbelt, they have somethings I want and they got good reviews.
C
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 9, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #7691333

The local hardware store that has an attached garden center, a mini-Home depot, I guess, has gotten in some DRs. I'm not spending $25 on one, already did that, and am happy with those two, but they are a generic pink. I'm betting all of these are a nice pink. Most in the photo have just a plain trunk, but a few had the fat twisty roots.

I want more variety now, tho' I won't be caught by those rats selling on Ebay posting blue and bright yellow photoshopped pictures, and others offering three or five seeds for twenty dollars.

The big caudex is from a different variety of Adenium, an Aribicum, rather than the Obseum that is being bred for the colorful flowers. There are other DRs that have the big gnarly caudex, but they are even more scarce.

Ah, well, Good luck to all!

Melissa

Thumbnail by Molamola

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 9, 2010
5:25 AM

Post #7691345

I got my only plant from such a store also and it was a nice size for 20 dollars. The ones in your pic look nice too but like you I want to try some new types. I am ordering an arabicum and a few others with different colored flowers. My plant has magenta flowers.
C
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 9, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #7693051

I wanted to buy them and put them all in the ground next to my driveway, but that's six hundred dollars sitting there! hahaha
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
11:50 PM

Post #7693717

Melissa,

some fatties among them - and nice plants!;-) Adeniums are almost impossible to find in the garden centers or at the florists here. So I need to import them - mainly from Germany.

Regards,

Martin
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 10, 2010
4:43 AM

Post #7693850

I might go back and look at them one at a time. sigh. money money money. But then they are several years old.

I just ordered 300 seeds, at a penny each, post included. Don't get excited, I'll be happy if a few are keepers. And on top of that, someone else went nuts with the Ebay 100 for 99 cents deals, and spent ten dollars! She's sending me a few hundred. But they're all Obseum.

I will plant them in pans, kitty litter boxes. with two inch, one cm, spacing, and seventy? to a box, I think I'll have a little control, stop laughing!

I do live where these plants grow in the ground. I have 1/4 of a hectare property here at my home, well drained hill side. I can start seeds in the ground, and plan to! haha and hihi. I maybe can send you a nice one in a year or two.

Here's one in a neighbor's yard, about two meters tall. They tied it up!

Thumbnail by Molamola

MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2010
12:04 AM

Post #7695977

Melissa,

Adeniums grown in the ground - you certainly must have it very hot there.;-)

I grow Adeniums from seeds myself but it is a slow proces getting them big enough to bloom. It takes probably around 2-3 years! It is so much fun, though.:-)

And thanks for the offer. But plant import from outside the EU is pretty strict and costly - even for single plants.:-(

Regards,

Martin
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 11, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7697538

A cold, ccccold night here is 20 degrees, celsius.

They are the most fun plants I have ever found. I've never thought of a plant as being fun before.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America