April 2010 Journal - planting time!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Spring is here early in southern MN. After all the snow & cold winter, who would have guessed.
Mother Nature is hard to figure.
All the snow cover also meant no frozen ground. So everything is way ahead of normal, including temperatures. A good 20 above average everyday. Flowers are blooming 2 to 3 weeks ahead of normal.
We have potatoes, peas, lettuce, carrots, beets, & radish in last week. Radish are up already. I got real brave & planted green beans yesterday. If they freeze or something, I can always replant. If they make it, they will be super early for the market.

How is spring in your neighborhood ?
Bernie

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Really nice here, Spousal Unit got the direct seeding in on March 31st. And didn't have to bundle his body up like he was going to Sibera. LOL I'm not getting all gung-ho about anything; we can still get a couple nasty snows yet. I'm thinking this is just a teaser. But, I'll take it.

Greenhouse roof is back to being one piece again. Hope it stays nailed down; don't care to have to go through that cwap again with flying polycarbonate panels and ripped out screws and bent rails. Pffffttttttt............

Cows have been out during the day at least for the past week, still kinda iffy for nighttime keep-outs. Like I said, I could snow again.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

The weather has been lovely here. Of course, I can't really get out and do anything, but I walk around the yard at least once a day and check things out. The early bulbs have flowered and faded and the daffs and early tulips are blossoming now.

Stan is out spreading lime on the pasture paddocks. He spread out the manure pile on Saturday and was hoping for some rain. We got a little dust setting shower this morning, but it's back to sunny again. Cooler than over the weekend, but still more late May than early April.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Most of the neighbor's lambs have been born now, (the flock I check) and the cows have had a few calves, mostly from another neighbor's bull who jumped the fence and visited the ladies before my neighbor really wanted to breed them. He lost one calf, It was already dead, we tried to pull it and finally had to call the vet. The vet also had trouble getting it out. The front legs and head were in the right position but the hind legs were up under the belly. This morning there was a dead lamb, about a month old, 30# and doing well one day but dead the next.

We had some good weather but in the past couple of weeks have been back to stormy and nasty. Today the snow flurries and sun are taking turns. Wind accompanies everything. Daffys are blooming, along with the Siberian squill and some other little bulbs, and some of the trees look like another warm day or two would make the leaves start to pop out. My forsythia bush has a wee bit of color. I want to get some work done outside but it is just miserable to be out for long. There's only so much I can do in sheltered places.

I see my neighbor out in his field trying to get his irrigation lines ready for water which could happen in the next couple of weeks. The mountain snowpack is not good this year, but our recent storms may have made a bit of difference. Anyhow, they did put some additional moisture in the ground here at lower elevations.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Mary, sorry to hear of the loss of the calf and the lamb. However, as one of my FarmWife list group members says "If you have livestock, at some point you WILL have deadstock". She is right.......but we still don't have to like it.

Had a rain most of the night and early this am........boy, are things greening up fast now. But, we still could have a snow or 3 yet, so I'm not ready to have SU quit firing the furnace just yet. :>)

Waddy, KY

Jeez Anna, ain't that the truth! No matter how much you watch 'em or not.

Pretty warm here. The peach tree outside the back door is in full bloom. Guess that means it's time for a good hard freeze! I got a little of my asparagus planted last night before I stopped to bake. One of our markets is participating in the Lexington Home and Garden Show this weekend. We're selling our value added products and I have no idea how much to bake. I could have plenty, not enough or come out just right.

So far this appears to be a dry spring. March, for us, was below normal. We're supposed to get rain tonight so we'll see. Maybe I can plant the rest of the asparagus and some glad bulbs and then let it rain.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We got some much needed rain yesterday. Should do wonders for my newly planted seeds. Especially carrots & beets. A little cool this morning, but warm temps coming right back. In 70's later in the week.
Love spring!
Bernie

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

We're having warm weather today, but cooling back to normal tomorrow and chilly on Friday, back up for the weekend. We have had very little rains that set the dust and make little puddles that dry up fast. Friday rain and snow mix - what fun.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Putting in second planting of peas today. Also getting ground ready for onions that will arrive Monday. 13000, anyone like to come help plant ?

Windy today, but warm.

Corn planters will be in full force Monday as well. It is the first day here farmers can plant & have their Federal Crop Insurance good.

With all this warm weather, we will be mowing grass shortly. First tulip blooming this morning.
Bernie

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

April snow...

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Way too early for corn planting here........and way too wet.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

..the ground is covered and the birds are a bit sulky this morning. It is supposed to warm up to the 50s today, though, so it will be soon gone.

Nobody who doesn't want to replant plants corn around here until Memorial Day. There are a few who plant earlier, but they come under the heading "Live and DON'T learn.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We are part of the corn belt.
Anything planted after May 5th is considered lower yield. 95% of the farmers here have no livestock. Corn & soybeans are their only source of income.
My son built a bigger chicken run yesterday.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, Bernie, those chickies look mighty happy.

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8a)

After a very wet and very cold winter here in South East Texas, Mother Nature has blessed us with extraordinary brilliant wildflowers, lush green pastures, and very high pollen counts! The oak pollen in particular has been intense. But, we must take a little of that with all the good blessings.

Yesterday morning we are gifted with a bit of rain, some cool breezes, and a glorious double rainbow. This was seen from our back porch.

Thumbnail by MelissahL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images