What is blooming in your garden now?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 313 votes:

Daffodils, forsythia and other early spring blossoms
(177 votes, 56%)
Red dot

My petunias, marigolds and other bedding plants are looking beautiful!
(18 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Crabapples, redbud and dogwood trees are blooming in my area
(79 votes, 25%)
Red dot

My area is in bloom with cactus and desert wildflowers.
(14 votes, 4%)
Red dot

I'm south of the Equator, so am seeing signs of Autumn.
(3 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Hot and summer at my house, I'm seeing many things in bloom.
(7 votes, 2%)
Red dot

It still feels like winter at my house. I'm waiting for anything green!
(15 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

Snow has been melting fast in the past week, and quite a lot of grass and earth visible. The only thing showing any active signs of life is the rhubarb, which has some nice red buds under the snow.

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

I voted for Daffodils, forsythia and other early spring blossoms, but actually those are done and now my tulips, early rhodies, my various Primroses and other early mid spring bloomers are blooming. My lilacs look like they'll open any day now. Spring is here.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

My daffs and species tulips are about done too. The hyacinths (that I never chilled but put into a big half whiskey barrel six weeks ago just for kicks) are coming up nicely. Several salvias are already blooming: a new one called 'Eveline' looks wonderful and I just planted it in September.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Actually, I voted for daffodils and forsythia, which is true, but Redbud and Dogwoods are also blooming here in North Georgia. But we are out of sync: our daffodils are later than usual and it is much hotter than it should be: April 1 was 90 -- which is 20 degrees above normal. Yikes. We've skipped spring and headed right into summer.

Edited to say it's 90 again today! Give us a break. We have plenty o'hot weather -- let's not get ahead of schedule.

This message was edited Apr 5, 2010 9:44 PM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Over 80 here today. (84) The redbuds, lilacs, crabapples and dogwoods are blooming like crazy. Daffs are about done and tulips are starting. Hostas are coming up and my roses are leafing out nicely. Hummingbirds are back and the woods are that lovely shade of spring green.

I need to mow.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I've mowed 3 times already. Daffs close to over, I don't do tulips but the fields north of me are awash in color. We're about a half month early over here (more for some plants). Makes me wonder what high summer will bring.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Oh you guys are making me drool! Forsythia is showing bud, tulips have put out leaves...only thing really blooming so far is the crocus oh and my neighbor's daffodils. Can't wait for the redbuds, crabapples and lilacs!!
Voted for the first choice anyhow, because I can't stand to think that it's still really winter here... :)

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Daffodils, forsythia and other early spring blossoms, but just barely. In fact, the daffs and forsythia, just started blooming this past weekend. Another warm week is forcast for next week and I expect a lot of other bulbs to start blooming and for a lot of greening up in general.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I have several things going on, roses about to bloom, wild flowers in the desert are starting up and my Forsythia bloomed as well as some others like Campanula, more on the way soon.

Oconomowoc, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi All,
Quiet all you 7 and 8s - I've only crocus here and one sorry-looking Hyacinth blossom! Oh, and a few Pachysandra have opened - they smell so good! I bring many pots in for (insert W-word here) and I did get a few Fusion Impatiens flowers - would those count?
Also, I bought some bulbs at the end-of-season sales and didn't get them into the ground till this last week, so they'll probably look just as sorry for the next two years unless I clip scapes. Anybody have any ideas on how to help the poor things? 10-0-10 fert? I want to feed but not overly-induce bloom. Suggestions will be appreciated - feel free to send them directly to my D-mail!

Thumbnail by temafilly
Navan, Ireland

After our coldest and longest winter for a long time, the Daffodils are finally making an appearance with Forsythia, Muscari and other bulbs. Just beginning to cut grass. It is probably our latest spring ever.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Last week floods, this week, bursting blooms!

Thumbnail by phoebesviolets
Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Still feels like winter here,:-( it was windy and snowing yesterday, still a little left on the ground this morning.

The crocus and daffodils are about to bloom, the tulips that the deer didn't eat are doing good, peonies and a lot of other plants showing life despite the cold temperatures.

Photo taken 6/4/2010

This message was edited Apr 6, 2010 11:07 AM

Thumbnail by mcash70
Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I voted the redbuds, crabapples, etc., but what is blooming here is PINE POLLEN and lots of it!

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

The Azaleas are the most blooms showing around my yard and the whole area also right now.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I don't fit any of them all that well. Daffodils have been done for a while now. I don't have any marigolds but the petunias bloom all year. Redbud trees are blooming but you don't see crabapple and dogwoods around here. There have been some hot days, but it isn't summer yet so they aren't all hot. I voted for the desert wildflowers. Technically, this isn't a desert and there aren't many wild cacti, but the wildflowers are going strong now. In the yard, the bearded iris are getting started.

bush lupine

Thumbnail by Kelli
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Everything is late for me due to the record breaking cold winter we had here - finally have my redbuds blooming, and the camellias just got done. Forsythia is either VERY late or opted to skip blooming altogether this year. Trumpet vine EXPLODED with blooms out of nowhere 2 days ago, and the roses, daylilies and amaryllis are beginning to set buds this past week - yippee, it'll look like FL again in no time!!!

Oh, and of course the azaleas all over town are putting on a beautiful show!

This message was edited Apr 6, 2010 5:35 PM

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Quote from temafilly :
Hi All,
Quiet all you 7 and 8s - I've only crocus here and one sorry-looking Hyacinth blossom! Oh, and a few Pachysandra have opened - they smell so good! I bring many pots in for (insert W-word here) and I did get a few Fusion Impatiens flowers - would those count?
Also, I bought some bulbs at the end-of-season sales and didn't get them into the ground till this last week, so they'll probably look just as sorry for the next two years unless I clip scapes. Anybody have any ideas on how to help the poor things? 10-0-10 fert? I want to feed but not overly-induce bloom. Suggestions will be appreciated - feel free to send them directly to my D-mail!

Epsom salt mixed with favorite fertilizer seems to be a cure-all down here to get everything boosted - I mix it with Milorganite in Spring, and Espoma in Fall.

Also, just saw this posted on Tinker's Garden a couple-three weeks ago, and may try it on several struggling babies this spring, not just DL's:

Daylily Booster:

1 tsp Epsom salt
1 oz Sorgum Molasses
1 Tbls Baking Soda
1 Gal. Water

Before planting newly aquired or divided Daylilies wash roots and submerge entire plant in this simple bare root recovery booster. Use the mixture to water plant when planting, poured over the crown. Daylilies can be given this booster again when bloom scapes appear, to intensify bloom and foliage color.

Molasses is a natural Bio-stimulant containing sulfur, potash and many trace minerals needed by plants. These minerals will be obsorbed through the foliage when used as a foliar dip or spray. Baking Soda will help control fungal disease.

Mullins, SC(Zone 8a)

And the first thing to bloom after the daffs and flowering quince are my two Home Run roses! Yay!!!! I have rose blooms!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Veronica bloomed 1st and the Peach tree 2nd.

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

It was 92F here today, what happened to spring??? Actually it's only supposed to be in the 60s on Friday. I predict an ugly thunderstorm in the interim!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

pansies. let us not forget the pansies.
Martha

Oconomowoc, WI(Zone 4b)

Howdy All,
I found a few Vinca Minor faces today...the Raspberries, Roses and Dogwoods have tiny leaves, and so does my French Tarragon! So much for Z 5-6 HA! The Asiatics are 6" and climbing... and one REALLY early Dianthus bud. I just hope the coming two nights of 32* crapola doesn't set anything back (grumble, grumble...frost...grumble). We may get rain later so hopefully that 'll tic the temp up that one crucial degree...

@ Emma75,
Thanks for the recipe! I must have missed it with all the winter cleanup/ cabin fever/ get outside stuff doing. I shall try it on my poor abused Tulips and Co.

Saco, ME

We have our first to daffy's. Spring has sprung! I hope! The rhubarb is up about 4 inches. That's about it for today.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Just the last 2 days the daffodils and forsthyia have begun to bloom. A few Early tulips, and muscari too. Ahhh, finally fresh air of a blooming spring!

Daffs are almost faded.

Crocus are long gone.

Forsythia blooms are holding on.

Plum tree blooms have said goodbye.

Crab apples are fully singing.

Redbud trees are waving "hello" in shades of purple and bright white.

Welcome, Spring!

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Crocus & Glory of the Snow, that's it. My neighbor has a few daffodills.

But then this is the way of the western slope in Colorado. The temperatures are very steady and don't jump around enough to fool plants. However it will be 66F by Saturday and then back down into the 50's by Monday.

Oh, it did snow the past two days. The mountains to the west got up to 16 inches of snow, fortunately we only got a few inches which melted the same day. Lots of very strong looking greenery from the bulbs and rhizomes in the garden. Time for some foliar spray & some surface applied alfalfa pellets.

The vultures have returned & the onions in the fridge have sprouted, a sure sign of Spring! LOL

Sonny

Hilliard, OH(Zone 6b)

last week i had my crocus finally bloom. they were late compared to other crocus, and bloomed with the the tons of daffodils, but the show was worth it. here is what 150 crocus planted last fall looks like.

Thumbnail by tropicsofohio
Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

the quince is out and there are big fat buds on the lilacs and the viburnums. my daffs are pretty much open.
Martha

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Does anyone know if epsom salts kept in a non temperature controlled storage room are still good or shoule I buy new?

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I keep all my natural fertilizers in the workshop (also not temp controlled), but I've never wondered whether it becomes less effective - I usually have to buy more anyway though, and tend to mix some new into the old. Would be good to know if I need to store elsewhere though!!!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I guess I can always just try it and see if it works as good as it is supposed to. I just wonder if some things can turn into something harmful?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I don't see that it will be hurt any. If it were liquid, it would probably not work, but since epsom salts are solid crystals, you should be good to go.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Tropicana blooming her head off this morning!

Thumbnail by Emma75
Anchorage, AK(Zone 3b)

Three more inches of snow.

Oconomowoc, WI(Zone 4b)

HI All,
Well, it looked like late fall here this morning - the green grass had a dusting of snow, no leaves on the trees and all my plants potted up from last year were back in the house. Temps down to 26* tonight so I'm glad I've not gotten around to burning the leaves I had on my Iris. They'll be blanketing those and tiny Dahlia shoots. Anxious inspection of Asiatic and DL leaves showed no damage, but I'm going to leave them under their sheets seeing as how it'll be cloudy all day.

@ chucki - My husband and I visited your fair city last September and were just entranced. How long will the Deep Cold have a grip on you?

@ Emma75 - glad to see some things stayed to brighten your day; those roses are lovely!

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

My petunias, marigolds and other bedding plants are looking beautiful!

Thumbnail by gumlla

and

Thumbnail by gumlla

and here

Thumbnail by gumlla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.