bottom of feet numb

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Hello: I have not been in this forum before but I have an odd situation. At first the bottom of the middle toe on my right foot began to go numb. The first time I noticed it, it felt like I had stepped on a piece of tape and it was stuck to the bottom of my toe. I had that feeling off and on for some time and didn't worry about it. But lately it's the bottom of the whole foot. Not all day but perhaps 1/2 day. It has spread to my left foot too.
Some time ago, my doctor said I was likely to become a diabetic so when I had a few symptoms, I got checked and I was ok but I dropped all sugar.
Other than that, I do not think I have changed anything except I am gardening a lot more at home and at a small local museum.
Does anyone what this is? I hate to go back to the doctor again because I can't afford it, even with Medicare.

Phoenix, AZ

What you describe sounds very much like peripheral neuropathy. http://www.thebody.com/content/art5029.html It is often associated with diabetes but can have other causes. Despite hating to go to the doctor, it is very important that you do. This is not a sign to be taken lightly. Please do go, and soon.

OK, darn it. How odd to come down with something like this after just losing 31 pounds and still going down.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

My husband had diabetes for "at-least" 2 yrs if not longer without knowing so...and he has nerve damage in his feet as well...he was just diagnosed this past Christmas...His was weight induced. He went in for his routine BP check and blood draw for Chlo. and thats how they found it.

I would go in and have your blood tested...it's very treatable and manageable.

I was at the doctor's 3 weeks ago. I just checked the results (they forgot to call me) and my sugar was fine. So I made an appointment for Monday.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

If you're on your feet more, that could have something to do with the numbness. Your feet may not be used to your standing on them so much.

Also, you might benefit from massage therapy. It helps with circulation. You could do 30 minute sessions once or week or as often as you can afford them and focus on your feet and legs. This will help restore the circulation if that is the source of the numbness.

Of course there could be nerve damage, but possibly not. You may just need to entice blood flow to your feet. I was having numbness in a my two big toes--probably due to the sandals I had worn last summer. After two month of weekly massages, the numbness is almost gone. And of course I feel better overall. My weekly massages cost $25 each. Since I have bone spurs in my spine and it hurts all the time, the massages help reduce my pain a lot so I don't have to take pain meds. See a massage therapist and talk about how massage therapy could benefit you. It's a wonderful way to treat yourself.

NancyAnn

Phoenix, AZ

Nancy Ann, that's a good point. Woodspirit, you can massage your own feet while watching TV. I do that just about every night. One of those 'foot spas' could help, too. I have one that warms the water, massages the bottoms of the feet and swirls the water around my feet. The only problem with it is that it's a pain to fill, carry to a chair, empty and clean up. However, it's worth it when my feet are really killing me.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

A professional massage will get the blood flowing all thru the legs and feet. Massage therapy is more than just a pampering. It actually has a lot of health benefits, which is why I started doing it regularly. If your feet are going numb, the problem may be in your legs, not your feet; the symptoms may appear in your feet. Diabetics often have their feet amputated due to blockages in the blood vessels in their legs. Of course you may not have this problem, but you may just need increased circulation throughout your legs and feet. A professional massage therapist knows how to do this, what kind of pressure to use, which techniques to use, where to apply it for the most effect.

I do one of the foot spas tomatofreak is talking about after a long day in the garden. It's relaxing, but it doesn't give the deep tissue, blood circulating manipulation that professional massage does.

When looking for a therapist, you may have to go to several before you find one who suits you. I'm on my fifth (and last) I hope. She's superb, uses lots of techniques on the different trouble spots on my body, and listens when I tell her the pressure is too light or too heavy. Be sure to speak up and let the therapist know how the pressure is at different points during the session. You're paying for it and you should have it like you like it.

You'll get many other benefits from it besides the increased circulation as well. Massage causes endorphines to be released which make you feel happier, less stressed, and relieves chronic pain and even depression. It also lowers glucose and stress hormones, which can mean weight loss. It helps the body release toxins too, which is why you need to drink lots of water for a day or two after the massage.

I didn't think I could afford massage. It seems so expensive--$25-$30 for 30 minutes. But I realized I could cut out unnecessary items like eating out, extra trips to town, junk food, etc. I also looked around my house and found things to sell on Craigslist and Ebay so I could afford my therapy. I have diabetes, and while the therapy costs a bit, I think in the long run it may save my heart, kidneys, feet and legs. (I sound like an info-mercial, don't I???)

NancyAnn

well, depending on what the doctor thinks, I may end up with a therapist but I hope I can some type of therapy that Medicare will contribute to. I definitely cannot afford $25 a week, right now.
Good news though! I have been hired by the census bureau. It is a temporary job, but pays well, They also think, since I have 3 decades of past experience, that I will do follow-up for those who don't finish their territories. All I need is a dryer (mine died), pay off my property taxes (I'm behind) and get the dog neutered (driving me crazy). Whew!

thought you guys might like to know. The doc said the numbness was diabetic neuropathy but that I didn't have diabetes, in fact, my sugar levels are much lower. He says he doubts it will ever go completely away. But he gave me a clean bill of health. All I have is a bum hip and some problems behind my left thigh, which could be from a pinched nerve.
Most of this I can deal with. I do have to put my leg up a lot and a lot of numbness goes away when I sleep, but comes back the next day. So, just senior stuff, nothing more. Thanks for your interest and concern.........Betty

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

If you have problems behind your left thigh consider sciatica. That's exactly what I have and it casues my feet to go numb at times.

Mostly you hear that sciatica only affects one side. My chiro, who is also an MD, says sciatica often affects both sides when it comes from the sacroiliac joint.

I have burning down the back of my thigh, and then pain and sometimes the numbness in the feet.

It came on quite suddenly. My Doctor said two signs it was sciatica was that it came on suddenly, and goes away at times.

Is sciatica a pinched nerve? Mine did come on suddenly. What can be done for it?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes, it is.

I've been going for chiro visits to try to get the sacroiliac joint in order so it won't pinch on the nerve. But it depends on where the sciatica is coming from. It can be coming from many places in your back. A chiro can determine that.

And I think it's still important to cut back on sugars, and carbs. They inflame nerves whether you have diabetes or not. And a lot of places highly recommend alpha lipoic acid. Pretty cheap at Walmart.

I only go to the chiro every 6 weeks. He adjusts the area and in between visits I do exercises to help the muscles hold the sacro joint in place. I also do stretches before I do anything strenuous.

My chiro told me that diabetic neuropathy does not come on quickly, you get a small area that's numb, say your little toe, then the next toe, then...., but not the whole bottom of your foot all at once. That's sciatica.

Do you have any periods without the numbness?

the numbness did come on slowly. Mostly under one toe at first and then spread to other toes and then the whole foot. it wasn't long before it began in the other foot and moved along there fairly quickly but is not complete yet.
I have cut out about 90% of my sugar and am working on reducing other carbs right now (but not fruit or juice, once or twice a day).
The back of my thigh hurts an awful lot of the time, especially when I sit at the computer, lol. Or drive.

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

Looking through the posts I did not notice any information about what type of shoes you are wearing. Are your toes pinched at all? Or is the arch of the shoe forcing pressure on the upper portion of your foot? I bought some shoes that did not fit properly and I had pain underneath the middle toe. Goodness did it hurt. I got rid of the shoes and any others that I questioned the fit of. It took several months to get my feet back to normal!

This may not be what is causing your problem but I think it is worth giving consideration.

I'm pretty careful about my shoes and no longer where high heels. I have some good sports shoes, a pair of new mocassin-style, and a few canvass shoes I wear in the summer. But I use the sports shoes for gardening and walking. No, I don't think it's the shoes. I'm pretty careful about sturdiness and comfort when I buy them.

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

Weel, it was worth a shot.

Yes, thanks a lot. I do have one of those toe funguses on my big toenail, which I have been working on forever, it seems. I have tried the local remedies, Vicks VapoRub and also vinegar, but it's still here. Part of it got so thick that I have to use my rose clippers to cut it. Then that didn't work, so I used my husband's Dremel tool, lol. Now, about 1/2 of it has fallen off so I am hoping the other 1/2 will and I will be able to attack the fungus better.

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

Those fungus' are sooo hard to get rid of. I had a friend who doctored and everything for fingernails - with no luck. Not sure if she ever got rid of it. I wish you well!

I hope the rest of it falls off. then maybe the Lamisil will get to it. Have to admit, when it got too thick for a nail clipper, I used my rose pruners. But that still didn't work so I used my spoual unit's Dremel Tool, lol.

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

I'm trying to picture that without laughing...not sure I can, sorry that is not very nice of me. If you want it to fall off so you can get some Lamisil on it that is what I'm wishing for you!

lol, it is funny. Most people do NOT want to lost their big toenail. But it's ugly, sometime painful and nearly untreatable. There is a Rx to kill fungi but the side effects are really scary.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images