Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Suggestions on creating arrangements with Lilacs

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 4, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
august2003
Beaverton, OR

April 6, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7684143

I cut some beautiful dark purple lilacs from my garden. My book "Garden to Vase" said to harvest when 1/3 to 1/2 open. I didn't obey that rule because I had company coming over on a very rainy day and was trying to make my house welcoming. It did look nice with new candles on my table and a bowl of avacados and lemons nearby. But now that the company is gone - is there any way I can coax the flowers into opening - only one or two blossoms have opened. Also do you have a suggestion for a contrasting foliage to add to the arrangement. They are in water not foam. Thanks. FYI - I watch free videos from www.flowerschool.com and that has really been fun. They have a school here in Portland but can't afford the classes right now.
august2003
Beaverton, OR

April 6, 2010
10:11 AM

Post #7684206

My book suggested I recut my lilacs and put them in deep warm water so I did that and I added some bright green foliage from my coral bark maple. I still think it would look better with a graceful weeping foliage like corkscrew willow but I don't have that available.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2010
10:50 AM

Post #7684298

August - I hope that works for you. I have not been able to get lilacs to bloom where I live, so I do not have experience with them in arrangements. Hopefully someone else will chime in with advice.
Thanks for the link to the flowerschool - I'll have to take a look at their videos.

I had a corkscrew willow in an arrangement one time and it rooted. I planted temporarily in my vegetable planter and it grew to about 6-7 foot in a year. I had to remove it because it wasn't where I wanted it, and was going to transplant it somewhere else, but then it got dried out before I got around to replanting it. So, if you see any willows in an arrangement, leave them in water and they may root.
august2003
Beaverton, OR

April 6, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7684638

I did that once with corckscrew willow that rooted without even trying. I was so excited, but it died after reaching 6 ft. in the garden. I will try again though. Around the corner from my house there is a woman who has a particularly beautiful healthy tree(looks like at least 10 years old) and I am going to ask her for a cutting and try again. Since I don't even know this person I will have to go out of my way to start a conversation with her. BTW I used to work in La Canada (Southern California) and at Descanso Gardens they were certain varieties of Lilac that grew and bloomed. I worked for Armstrong Garden Center for 7 years before moving north. I miss of lot of flowers I used to be able to grow - but now have the pleasure of a Bing Cherry tree in my backyard and beautiful blossoms from all kinds of deciduous plants and no smog.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #7724213

I have some 30' corkscrew that I grew from sticks - I wish you lived nearby, I offer it to floral shops locally they love it! I have lilacs but they put on a pitiful display this year. Perhaps I will cut a few and throw them in a vase - I like to cut the leaves off and then add a few tulips for contrast.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America