Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Suggestions on creating arrangements with Lilacs

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 4, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
august2003
Beaverton, OR

April 6, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7684143

I cut some beautiful dark purple lilacs from my garden. My book "Garden to Vase" said to harvest when 1/3 to 1/2 open. I didn't obey that rule because I had company coming over on a very rainy day and was trying to make my house welcoming. It did look nice with new candles on my table and a bowl of avacados and lemons nearby. But now that the company is gone - is there any way I can coax the flowers into opening - only one or two blossoms have opened. Also do you have a suggestion for a contrasting foliage to add to the arrangement. They are in water not foam. Thanks. FYI - I watch free videos from www.flowerschool.com and that has really been fun. They have a school here in Portland but can't afford the classes right now.
august2003
Beaverton, OR

April 6, 2010
10:11 AM

Post #7684206

My book suggested I recut my lilacs and put them in deep warm water so I did that and I added some bright green foliage from my coral bark maple. I still think it would look better with a graceful weeping foliage like corkscrew willow but I don't have that available.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2010
10:50 AM

Post #7684298

August - I hope that works for you. I have not been able to get lilacs to bloom where I live, so I do not have experience with them in arrangements. Hopefully someone else will chime in with advice.
Thanks for the link to the flowerschool - I'll have to take a look at their videos.

I had a corkscrew willow in an arrangement one time and it rooted. I planted temporarily in my vegetable planter and it grew to about 6-7 foot in a year. I had to remove it because it wasn't where I wanted it, and was going to transplant it somewhere else, but then it got dried out before I got around to replanting it. So, if you see any willows in an arrangement, leave them in water and they may root.
august2003
Beaverton, OR

April 6, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7684638

I did that once with corckscrew willow that rooted without even trying. I was so excited, but it died after reaching 6 ft. in the garden. I will try again though. Around the corner from my house there is a woman who has a particularly beautiful healthy tree(looks like at least 10 years old) and I am going to ask her for a cutting and try again. Since I don't even know this person I will have to go out of my way to start a conversation with her. BTW I used to work in La Canada (Southern California) and at Descanso Gardens they were certain varieties of Lilac that grew and bloomed. I worked for Armstrong Garden Center for 7 years before moving north. I miss of lot of flowers I used to be able to grow - but now have the pleasure of a Bing Cherry tree in my backyard and beautiful blossoms from all kinds of deciduous plants and no smog.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #7724213

I have some 30' corkscrew that I grew from sticks - I wish you lived nearby, I offer it to floral shops locally they love it! I have lilacs but they put on a pitiful display this year. Perhaps I will cut a few and throw them in a vase - I like to cut the leaves off and then add a few tulips for contrast.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America