Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Mid-South Gardening: . . .and even more Chit Chat!

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 235, Views: 1,097
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #7684415

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1082228/#new

Terrye, I'll trade you a Gentle Giant bulb for an Einstein, if you are agreeable to that. I'll bring it to you when we go to Rita's. Okay? I love your "happy accident" with the white phlox and the grape hyacinth. What kind of phlox is that--it must be an early bloomer? I don't have any that hugs the ground that way. My two white phlox are the Minnie Pearl, which I bought, and another one called David, which Sandra gave me. They are both tall and they are not blooming yet.

Crissy: your flower beds and veggie garden are really doing well!

I planted one of those "topsy-turvy" tomato thingies this week-end. I put a cherry tomato in it. I bought a plant that has small tomatoes in the hopes that it wouldn't be as heavy as a plant with big tomatoes. I'll let y'all know how it does.

Later I will post some photos of various plants in my garden.

Everybody join in with your own photos and don't forget the chat!
tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 6, 2010
12:01 PM

Post #7684457

Good idea! I'll bring you one.
That is an old white creeping phlox that I have had for years. I have no idea what cultivar it is but it blooms same time (or sometimes a little earlier) than the purple thrift you see next to it.
I bought one bag of grape hyacinths around 30 years ago and I now have them everywhere. The birds and wind has scattered them all over my yard.

I think I been feeding the frogs here. I bought some goldfish and some fantails to go in my little pond this weekend. I put them in the water and a few hours later went to feed them and there was a huge bullfrog that jumped into the water when I walked out there. No sign of the fish but there are places too deep to see so I am hoping that the fantails made it anyway.

Terrye
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 6, 2010
12:38 PM

Post #7684504

Didn't realize the bullfrogs would eat the fish... guess I never really thought about it - just thought they ate bugs!

Karen - I am not a golf fan either, but I have heard that Augusta is a really neat place to visit and I am sure I could bare one day of golfing to get to see the rest of the town! :) Ya'll have lots of fun!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 6, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #7684518

thanks for starting a new thread Marilyn. our nephew that is so sick had his heart cath and there are no blockages, they will schedule the surgery to repair the valve that the infection has destroyed.
I got Mamma fixed up today, Pat came over and she weeded in between her tall bearded iris on the other side of the house and I got her front bed cleaned out, her rose bed was in good shape. I told her I did not want to hear about her trying to pull any more grass out of that bed. She is 82 years old and has to get down on her knees on a cushion to even reach it, and I told her she better not try that again.
Love everyone's blooms they are showing. I enjoyed driving to Mamma's today, the redbuds and dogwoods are just beautiful and it was such a pretty day.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 6, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #7684538

Sorry to hear about your nephew Sandra... I hadn't heard that you had family ill guess I missed that!

I am having a heck of a time trying to weed my flower beds and tend to things with this bum knee... my low back can't hold up to the constant stooping and I can't bend my left knee to sit on the ground... so I have ended up having to SIT on the ground with my left leg straight out - but getting up is a MAJOR undertaking!!

The dogwoods are just coming into full bloom here and they are gorgeous! Beautiful days indeed!

Genna
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2010
1:09 PM

Post #7684567

Sandra, sorry to hear about your nephew but so glad there is no blockage. Tell him you know someone who had a heart valve repaired in 2003 and that she is still ticking after 6 1/2 years! (that would be me) As a matter of fact, I was out mowing the yard today with my push mower--getting to the places where I can't go with the riding mower. I am stronger now than I was this time last year--I don't huff and puff like I did when I first started mowing last year so I guess that means that mowing has been good for me (even though I was mad at Buddy for going off and leaving me to do the mowing--LOL). Glad you got your Mamma's flower beds weeded, etc. I posted a photo on one of these threads of Gunny's rose and it is looking good. (It's hard to keep up with where you post what when you are posting on several threads!)
Since you all are talking about dogwoods, I will post a photo of the neighbor's dogwood tree. I have posted this photo on another thread, too, but I'll post it again here.

Thumbnail by marsue
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2010
1:20 PM

Post #7684599

Genna: I meant to say that you should get yourself one of those little garden carts that you can sit on. I have one and I think Sandra does, too. It sure beats having to stoop and bend or to sit on the ground while you get rid of the weeds! I think my cart was about $35.00 at Home Depot. The lid lifts up and you can store your gardening tools inside.

Terrye, I will bring you a Gentle Giant bulb when we go to Rita's--thanks for the Einstein!

Here is a photo of the area behind my garden shed where I am putting some of my shade garden plants. I still have to get Jason to take that old piece of plywood out to the curb for the garbage folks to pick up. I have to get the leaves raked up, too, although I may just leave them and get a few sacks of garden soil and just pour it on top of them. See that ladder in the background? That was Buddy's old wooden ladder that had become too rickety to use, but he kept it anyway, for some unknown reason. I have decided to use it as a piece of garden "art" but I can't decide exactly what to do with it. Maybe I will make a "pot man" like Charlotte has and sit him on one of the steps of the ladder some way or other. Anybody have any ideas?
Oh, yes, and I need to stack those brick somewhere else! Maybe I will make a pathway there behind the shed from one side to the other with the brick.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2010 3:25 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 6, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7684622

Marilyn... I do think all that yard work (push mowing included) is good for us... but it sure is rough sometimes! Glad to know you are stronger and doing better with the mowing...

The dogwood is pretty.

Genna

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 6, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #7684630

You might use it as a trellis and let vines run over it.

I am as confused as Marilyn is about posting in different places.

Jerry's nephew Justin is gravely ill. He has MRSA and it has caused 2 strokes already and yesterday his breathing was so bad they put him on the respirator and induced a coma. His kidneys are only working 20%. He has been sick for a couple of weeks now and took a turn for the worse yesterday. We went in to see him at 9pm last night and he looked so bad, he will be 30 on May. He and our Susan are a month apart.
He had his gallbladder removed and has been sick ever since, they can't tell them for sure if that is where he got the infection or not.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 6, 2010
1:43 PM

Post #7684648

Marilyn, we cross posted... that is a good idea about the cart. Not sure how well that would work right now, but it would be worth a try! I love the idea of using the ladder as a trellis...

Sandra, sorry to hear about your nephew. Sounds like he is in really bad shape. I bet that he did get the MRSA from the surgery, but of course the hospital would NEVER admit that because of the liability issues. When Alex was a newborn he got a staph infection from his circumcision and had 30K worth of tests because they "thought" he was having seisures... instead he was stiffening up from the pain of urinating with the infection and thankfully a smart, observant nurse noticed and it was treated accordingly... but LATER I learned that hospital floor was completely closed because of the large amount of staph infections obtained there! It took me three years to pay off all those tests and bills... and I often thought the hospital was at least partially responsible because they KNEW they had a problem with staph and were slow about doing anything about it. I will add your nephew to my prayer list. I hope things turn around quickly for him - sounds like he won't be able to take them getting much worse!

Marilyn, that bed is going to look so pretty when you get finished!

Genna
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #7684765

Hospitals are hot beds of infections, unfortunately! However, we all have the staph germ on our bodies. It is just most likely able to invade the body through a wound or perhaps in Justin's case through the incision when he had the gall bladder surgery. As Genna says, it would be hard to prove that is where he got the infection and it would cost a lot of money for lawyers, etc., if they decided to sue the hospital and the doctors. Staph usually attacks the body at its weakest point, which in Justin's case was apparently his heart valve. I do pray that they will be able to repair the valve and that he will not have to have an artificial valve put in. Buddy's heart valve was attacked by MRSA -most likely invading his body through a spider bite--and it resulted in him having to have a mechanical heart valve in Nov. 2000. Justin is young and has a good chance of complete recovery even if he does have to have his
heart valve repaired or replaced. I will add him to my prayer list, too.

Great idea, Sandra, about using the ladder as a portable trellis. Thanks! Charlotte has just given me two moonvine plants and I can let them grow up the ladder.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 6, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #7685095

He had the gallbladder surgery done at a surgery center--in and out the same day type. His wife's name is Tuesday, she is only 18, and they told her they would use a pig valve, it has to be replaced.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7685314

Your ladder would be a great trellis for the moonvine!!!! You could also put some other pots on the steps and let the moonvine climb around them.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
5:09 AM

Post #7686026

Marilyn also on the trash to treasure forum they had a bunch of old ladders that had been used different ways. It was a while back when I saw it so you might have to scroll down a bit to find it. They all had plants on them.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #7687502

Thanks, Charlotte. I'll see if I can find that.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #7687814

Well everyone was right Augusta is definitely worth seeing whether you are a golf fan or not. Here's a yellow azalea (I think) that is blooming

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7687819

The Camellia's were gorgeous today and here's the proof...

Thumbnail by kjuddy

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7687886

Glad your having fun Karen!!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7687940

Wisteria was hanging everywhere and the grass literally looks just like a carpet - there was so much rock work everywhere and just more wooded places than you can believe. I didn't realize that the land the golf course is on was once a nursery and that is why it is so well landscaped.

Thumbnail by kjuddy

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7687959

So it turns out that there is something for both of you to enjoy!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #7688322

Gorgeous photos, Karen!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #7688858

Goodmorning all... Here is a picture of a shade garden I started last fall..I included hosta, muscari bulbs, and mums I received from the RU... Alot of the hosta I have planted or moved this year and it is still small.. I have added lilies and impatiens some columbines, white daisies and coneflowers.. I cant wait to see some color.. Hope it turns out prettier than it is now lol... My white and pink dogwoods are blooming nicely tho...

Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7688875

My japanese Maple just put out leaves and the grass is starting to get green...

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2010
7:07 AM

Post #7688877

That will be a lovely flowerbed when it matures, Trish. Could I be so bold as to say that mums, muscari, daisies and coneflowers are not shade plants? However, your bed might get enough sun for them to do okay but if they don't do well, you may need to move them into the sunshine. Just a suggestion. The dogwoods are lovely!
How is your son doing?
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #7688883

I'm drooling over that Japanese maple--gorgeous!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2010
7:24 AM

Post #7688927

Lol you can be bold enough to say what ever you like, I need all the advise I can get...I am still learning what grows where... It does get quiet a bit of sun there and I tried to use what I had growing in the yard already to fill in the blanks spots..I hope It doesnt get to much sun for the hosta, yet gets enough sun to keep the other flowers growing lol... I may be asking for to much from one bed...

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 8, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7688944

If you get the heat that we get, the hosta needs deep shade here. They will burn to a crisp if they get too much sun .
I had the big idea of having my mini daylilies and some mini hostas together---LOL--the first summer it dawned on me that hosta needed shade, what in the world was I thinking???????????????
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #7688946

Caleb is doing great..All his burns are nearly completely healed..He still has a few open areas on his rt hand..He has been fitted for his compression glove for rt hand everything else healed beautifully on its own...The Lord has really blessed him...

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #7688977

well one half of the bed gets more sun than the other, if I see the hosta on the south side is struggling I will move it...Mostly it gets morning sun...It gets hot here too..
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #7688990

good news about Caleb! Praise the Lord!
That peach colored iris is beautiful. Do you know the name of it?

I just received my order (and KA's) of milkweed plugs from Donna Vincent. Hooray! going to try my hand at raising Monarch butterfly caterpillars. I need to get outside and get them in the ground. It's a beautiful day in our neighborhood after yesterday's rain. No "yellow air" (aka pollen) to deal with today--the rain washed it away! Hooray!

You all have a good day!
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #7689019

Trish - your new bed is very nice and so glad to hear Caleb has done so well.
Sandra - if you notice, on 1 side of my house I have hostas and daylilies together - so don't laugh at me. However, the hostas are up against the house (receiving the shade from the house) and the daylilies are more out, away from the house. I just have to search hard for any inkling of sun for my sun plants and hope they get enough to bloom.

Funny, Marilyn reading your words: "its a beautiful day in the neighborhood". Thats exactly how I felt yesterday when I got home and did my "walk-about". I noticed a bud on a new iris that has never bloomed for me before, I saw more alliums coming up that I had forgotten about, saw more hosta eyes peeping thru, came in the house and there was a box of new hostas on the counter. It was a wonderful day ! lol.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #7689109

Trish so glad to hear Caleb is healing so well!! Your bed is lovely and will really be nice when it matures and fills in.
So long as hostas are not getting direct afternoon sun they should be ok. If they are the hostas you got from me at Oct. RU they had been in direct afternoon sun. That is why I dug them all up. They started out in the shade and I lost a tree and they ended up in the sun. Like Bonnie I have to really hunt for places for my sun plants. So I dug them all up and turned it into a lily and iris bed. The hostas survived fine in the sun but by the end of the summer they were certainly not much to look at!! Between the slugs eating them and the sun scorching the leaves they looked very bedraggled!
I have been on the go constantly and have had people at my house 3 times in about the last 10 days and last night I realized I was absolutely pooped!! So today I'm trying to do some caught up on things in the yard and around the house.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2010
9:17 AM

Post #7689297

Sandra, sorry to hear about your nephew and we'll be praying for his surgery and recovery.

Trish, your bed looks very nice and the overall setting is beautiful. I'll echo the comments about the plants that need full sun. If you're looking for shade-lovers, try hellebores and heuchera. There is also a nice Japanese forest grass (Hanecholoa aureola - but don't use my spelling which his probably wrong) and Carex 'Evergold' (works well for me as a border planting). You could also plant some azaleas and camellias (acid lovers) among those pines. They do well with filtered sun or part sun. So do oakleaf hydrangeas. The shrubs would look nice in the center for some height.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 8, 2010
10:34 AM

Post #7689525

Thank you Elaine, there is no change, since there are no blockages, they are waiting on the surgery, unless they have scheduled it today. A friend of mine that is a nurse said they were probably trying to hold off until some clean blood cultures came back from the lab. I had wondered if operating would make the infection worse and she told me they would probably try to hold off if at all possible. He is still on the respirator and the docs are telling them he had good vitals.

I tried to do some cleaning today, man oh man, the picture Cindy showed of how the weeds and grass were at her house is what the part of the bed I worked on today was like. It did not get a cleaning last fall and it is a mess. I worked for 2 hours, so I am getting able to do a little more now, of course I should have stopped earlier and now my back and leg is hurting. I will have to take it easy the rest of the day, so maybe I can do a little more tomorrow.

Marilyn, I had d-mailed you about a plant--did you get it? If so let me know
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2010
11:32 AM

Post #7689635

Sandra, I knew I had seen something from you somewhere on DG or Cubits asking me about a plant! LOL Then I had trouble with my ISP and my internet service was on and off all last week-end. Anyway, I am sorry I never got back to you on that. I'll answer you in the dmail.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2010
12:07 PM

Post #7689719

I dont know the name of the peach iris.. A friend gave it to me last year..I think im going to move it to get more sun and hope it makes more babies because it sure is pretty, right now its in the shade. Thanks for all the suggestions for plants.. I'd love to have some hellebores and Hanecholoa aureola(think this is beautiful).. I have a few coral bells up next to the tree I am to try to divide.. I cant spend alot of money till I see what the insurance company inst going to pay on Calebs hospital bill... Tho I did find some shrubs at lowes the other day the guys wanted to get rid of and let me have a cart full for ten dollars.. 2 double viburnum... a japanese Pieris... a variegated mock orange.. a winter jasmine.. a spirea reevesiana.. and a 3 agapanthus bulbs all for 10.00 because he needed the cart for something else.. I took him up on that deal lol... Now I have to see which of those like the shade and acid conditions...

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 8, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #7689779

Sounds like a great bargain, Trish, that is great. Maybe the bill will not be as bad as you think, we can always hope.

Bonnie those daylilies will stretch out and try to find that sunshine. The bed I planted was right out in the sun, no shade anywhere. I still shake my head when I think about doing that--LOL
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2010
12:52 PM

Post #7689814

Yeah.lol... better to plant a sun plant in shade, than to plant a shade plant in sun, huh ?
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7689942

Karen love your pics, especially that iris! Gorgeous!! Love the Hosta coming up next to it too.

I've been busy today and now I'm playing the waiting game, but that's alright, I don't mind a little lull during a busy day.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #7690025

Speaking of iris, I saw some blooms on my dwarf iris's the other day and my tree peony had blooms opening, I was so happy to see some almost flowers L OL

Love the japanese maples
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7690041

Does anybody know why my lilac isn't blooming, it has 2 blooms on it. I hate that, it had lots last year, what am I doing wrong.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #7690045

Dwarf iris jewel Art, first one to bloom

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #7690047

And here is my tree peony lost tag, or buried

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 8, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7690260

Got a question for any of you with a pond. I cleaned my pond out today and put new water in. How long do I need to wait before I can put the fish back in?

Terrye

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7690275

When I clean my pond and refill, I use water conditioner (it takes the chlorine out of the water). Then I add some salt (rock salt). I do my cleaning a little different. I don't take the fish out as they are too big. I just drain the old water down really low and then refill and add the water conditioner as I refill. I have trouble keeping my ph up, so I have a little testing kit and test the ph every week or so and add a ph up and stabilizer when the ph gets in the yellow zone. I also keep a screen over my pond while the leaves are falling to keep as much debris out as possible. But to your question, I think the chlorine should evaporate overnight.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 8, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7690282

Thanks, Charlotte! Mine is just a very small pond that I put in last year. I wasn't even going to put fish in it but I changed my mind.

Terrye
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2010
8:15 AM

Post #7694249

goodmorning all.. I hope you are having a great weekend... The weather is beautiful here.. I went out and walked around the yard took a few picture.. Decided I would share them before I go out and go to work... This is Iris "Mighty Cool" I think she is a beauty...I planted these irises last year so they arent really big clumps yet some are just single irises...I know tho with a lil patience it wont be long I will have a bunch of them I can share..

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7694256

This is iris 'Kings Ruby"

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #7694311

One of my azaleas in bloom...

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 10, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7695783

Wow - Trish those pics are pretty! I just LOVE spring! I am so glad to hear that Caleb is healing so well. I have been so out of the loop - been running around like crazy with multiple softball games each week plus track meets and then we have a huge outage starting at work and extra contractors working everywhere which is extremely rare for us ! Then on top of that, in the few times that I have had a chance to try to get online my internet has been down at home! It has been down more than it has been up in the past month.

I have some pics but haven't managed to get them downloaded and now that I finally have internet... I am exhausted and think I am going to head to bed. Kyle has a bunch of guys over watching UFC but I have them food to eat and I think I am going to try to catch up on some much needed sleep!

Kathy Ann - do you know how I root Lilac? There is one down the road at an empty house and it is covered - absolutely gorgeous! I stopped and picked some limbs and some blooms ... not sure if I will have any luck getting it to root and live.

Ya'll have a great night!
Genna
Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2010
8:44 PM

Post #7695816

I know I haven't been posting much, but I do check in and read when I can. I think of each of you often. Can't wait to see everyone again.

Love all the beautiful pictures. The last few times I tried to use picassa and my camera, things just didn't work - not sure what is going on. Will have to work on that and try to download some.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2010
9:32 PM

Post #7695869

Me too Emily. One of the updates screwed me up. It won't automatically search for new pictures when I activate it. A few other quirks. Good to see you here
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2010
10:52 AM

Post #7696938

Pretty flowers, everyone! Hi, Emily and Trish! Good to see you both posting again! Trish, so glad that Caleb is doing well and healing nicely!
waving to the rest of you, too!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Genna; hope you got some rest
mmmmm=I had not noticed that problem with picasa but then I haven't uploaded any photos to my website lately--just uploaded them to my laptop from my camera with picasa and no problem doing that.

I have posted this photo on other threads but thought I might as well post it here, too, for those of you that don't visit the same threads that I do. I made this plant stand from a set of 5 matching pots that I got as a door prize at Kim's RU last October. Kathy Ann was inspiration since she has 2 or 3 of these stands in her yard. I took this photo before I added one more pot. I needed another pot because there was too much rebar showing at the top. I didn't have any more of the green pots so, hopefully, nobody will notice the pots aren't the same color once the plants start growing and trailing over.

And here is a link to a website which a friend sent me today before she knew I had even made my plant stand. LOL There are some cute ideas here for different uses for the stand.
www.amazingplantstand.biz

Thumbnail by marsue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2010
11:52 AM

Post #7697085

She had some neat ideas there for filling those pots, I loved the bird house one.

I can't wait to get to Rita's I'm going to get some coleus and other things to fill my pots, I have 4 or 5 I need to fill . besides the plant stand one.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 11, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #7697220

Marilyn, your plant stand looks great! I love the different ones on the other website, especially the ones with the buckets. That type would look good here at Ray's Place and I can always scrap up old buckets and tins.

Love those iris! My oldfashioned whites are blooming now but my bearded have not started yet.

Terrye

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2010
2:06 PM

Post #7697379

Your stand looks great Marilyn. There are some really cute stands on the site. I really like the one with the galvanized pieces ending up with an old teakettle on top.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7697923

I've been meaning to post this but keep forgetting. You may also know this and it might have been posted before but I don't really pay attention to problems with deer and that is not a problem I have.
But the other day one of the gardens we went to had a real problem with deer. This is what she does and she said it works for her.
She mixes up 10 eggs and puts in a gallon milk jug and then fills with water puts the lid back on. Shakes it up good and lets it sit outside for 5 days. Then she just sloshes it out all around the area she has a problem with.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 11, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7698072

That would probably run anything off--humans included !!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #7698235

Back when I had chickens, I used eggs in my mix, too, milk , eggs, and hotsauce and garlic. Now I use milk, rosemary essential oil, just a couple drops, and hotsauce. it works. eggs are too costly to use now LOL and I mix half milk and half water. I see the deer have been eating a f ew of my hostas in the back yard.
Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2010
5:14 AM

Post #7698883

Marilyn - love your plant stand. Cute ideas on that website!

I agree with Sandra - think the smell of those rotted eggs would keep anything away! And rotted eggs and sour milk - yuk!!

Charlotte - the hostas you gave me are coming up beautiful! thanks! Now if I can just keep the slugs off of them! Can slugs smell? lol

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #7698904

Emily if you figure out how to keep the slugs away, let me know!!! The best thing I've found is slug be gone. I also use beer in small containers but that becomes an expensive and time consuming way to get rid of them.
Almost everything I got at the Oct RU is coming up. There are a few things that haven't made it yet but I think they come out later anyway. The Pineapple Princess EE I got from Kenny is coming up. There are several others that have poked there heads out yet, but since PP made it, I'm hoping the others will also. I did keep a couple that were not hardy in my zone in pots in my garage. One never lost its leaves. I still haven't gotten those in the ground.
Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7698987

Charlotte - I tried eggshells last year - the slugs laffed at me! Will try the slug b gone this year def.! Many things that I thought were dead are showing signs of life - am hoping more will make it thru in the next few weeks. Funny - the EE's that had been established for two years seem to have died, but the new ones I got from Kenny are coming back. They are in a diff area of the yard tho, so that may be why. Most of the things that were still in pots died but I did have a few calidora EEs that I got in the co-op make it. Strange that those things died, they were under the patio which was closed in with tarps, on a shelf, covered with many layers of sheets, blankets and tarps. Just about everything on all five shelves died - go figure!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2010
6:00 AM

Post #7699010

Emily I tried eggshells last year also. I had the same results!LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7699176

I'm not sure the EE's that I got from Kenny have it made through the winter. I had mine all in pots in my storage shed but none of them seem to be showing any green. I went ahead and put some of them in the ground last week--hopefully they will recover. My Big Dipper EE's which were in the ground are coming back but they are only about an inch tall right now so maybe the EE's are just later in coming back. The clematis which Debra gave me were in the same storage shed and they made it through the winter so I don't know why the EE's wouldn't have made it.

Charlotte this is a picture of the plant that is coming up from the Southern Shield fern--it doesn't look at all like a fern so I figured it was just something that was mixed in with the fern you gave me. Do you know what it is? It looks like it could be a violet in which case I think I need to get it out of there quick! I like violets but it would surely take over my flower bed. I don't see any sign of anything that remotely resembles a fern.

Thumbnail by marsue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7699192

It is one of those horrible violets!!! I have them all over the place - a never ending battle trying to keep under control! My fern has not come up yet either. I'm just noticing a few spores just starting to come up. It does come up late.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #7699280

Good Morning Sunshines!! It was such a nice weekend I didn't go online at all. Me and Dave built a gate for the veggie garden finally and I took a few pics.

Sandra, I got this from Kim's RU from you, what is it? The tag that has your name on it is still there, but the name of the plant is gone.

Thumbnail by crissyr

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 12, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #7699391

Well, Crissy, I am not sure--I usually don't put my name on plants I give--so you might have stolen a plant that was for me--LOL !!!
It doesn't look familiar, but you know how my mind is these days. Maybe someone else will recognize it.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #7699829

If it was meant for you I'll send it to you! I have another one I think anyway. I'm going to post it on the plant ID, I'd like to know where to plant these buggers before I give it full sun when it likes shade.

Here's a close up of the leaves. Notice the difference in the shape of the leaves from when they're young to mature.

Thumbnail by crissyr

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 12, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #7699835

NO NO NO--I don't need it--just playing with you anyway--it looks a little like that daisy that blooms in the fall, but I don't think I took any of those to the swap, Maybe someone will know what it is.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7700327

Christine that is a Pachysandra. I bought several to RU in Oct. Part of the name may have come off and you are just seeing sandra. If Sandra wants some I have more that I will be taking to Jeri's.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 12, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #7700416

OK, Charlotte figured out the mystery--lol--that makes sense, I know Cindy always puts her name on the back of her tags, so if anyone wants to know they can contact her, but I usually just put the name of the intended on my tags and the plant name, I am very lazy--

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #7700479

Me too!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7701963

Goodmorning all..Another beautiful morning here in the Delta.. Im headed out to do a quick survey of the flower beds then back in for home schooling UGHHHH.. I'd rather be knee deep in cow manure than school books.. Heres a picture of my iris "frequent flyer"

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 13, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #7701970

That is very pretty... Is Caleb still at home is that why you are homeschooling??
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #7701972

Here a "Mighty cool" Iris It has just been loaded with buds and blooms

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #7701991

Yeah they wont let him go back to school until next year...He can take his semester test at the end of the year if he passes and his work is all done he can move to 9th grade...He has a teacher who comes one time a week to lay out the weeks work for us..
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #7702046

Good morning, all!
Very pretty iris, Trish! I have one that is blooming but I haven't taken any pics of it yet--will do that today. Good luck with the homeschooling!

Charlotte, I am going to wait another week and give the fern time to make an appearance before I pull up that violet. I don't want to "throw out the baby with the bathwater" so to speak.

I have my BFF's granddaughter, Geah, with me today, tonight and in the morning so we are going to try to find something fun to do today. She says she is feeling "artsy-craftsy" today so I might take her to one of the local flea markets and see if we can pick up some old buckets or something to make another "tippy-pot" plant stand. She likes the one I made last week. We could make another one to put in my shade garden.

You all have a good day!. I'll be back later.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 13, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #7702076

Sorry to hear he is having to stay out of school so long. They actually miss it when they HAVE to stay out... :)

Marilyn, is Geah not in school today?? Sounds like ya'll have a great plan... we will want to see pics when you are done! Looks like it is going to be another gorgeous day!

Genna
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #7702220

LOL That explains it all, thank you so much Charlotte!! I don't have a spot for it, my yard is full sun everywhere, well except for where it's sitting in the pot with all the other pots, if I plant it there Dave will get it with the weed eater for sure.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2010
8:37 AM

Post #7702312

Genna: you have dmail.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 13, 2010
11:35 AM

Post #7702705

Got it - thanks Marilyn...
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #7703910

Can anyone here shed some light on whether your mexican petunias are up yet. Last year was the first time I've had any and mine look deader than a doornail but me being the eternal optimist I'm expecting a sprig of green any day - just wondering whether there is any hope?
Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #7703912

Hey Karen - mine are just starting to come back, so yours probably will too! :)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #7703975

Karen, my Mexican Petunias don't come back until around the middle of May so don't give up on them yet. Mine look deader than a doornail, too, but it was the same way last year. Emily's are probably coming back sooner than ours because she is way down there in Cajun country! :o))
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #7704073

I sure hope you guys are right cause I loved those things and I got some more at the Oct RU so I was so excited for them to bloom this year. I'll try to be patient and give them some time but it is hard to wait sometimes:( Janie's look deader than a doornail also and we mourn them every couple of days - we'll see what happens - thanks for the advice

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
8:50 PM

Post #7704078

Karen mine have not come up yet either. They are the last things I have to come up. It is usually in May.
Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #7704489

lol@ 'way down there in Cajun country" makes me feel like I live in another country! :)

I'm waiting to see if my angelonias are coming back - I think they are supposed to be annuals but they came back last year. I love those things! Have ya'll seen Jeri's pictures on FB? Soooo beautiful!! and she has soooo much blooming already! Guess I don't have enough sun for things to bloom as quickly, One of the rose bushes Cindy gave me has about 20 buds on it - can't wait to see that bloom!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #7704684

Karen they are fall bloomers and won't come up until May, usually mid to the end of May. I took all of the dead stuff off the top since it's probably not going to freeze again so I don't have dead things in my front flowerbed.

Are Latana's the same way or are those Annuals?
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 14, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7704692

Emily - you ARE in another country ...aren't you ???? ^_^

I have some things that have really popped in the past few days - my old fashioned purple iris that I salvaged from a dump site at my parent's place are blooming like crazy and have some more iris that will be blooming any day and my Lady Banks rose bush is absolutely covered! and my purple azeleas (Amelia if I remember correctly) are just beginning to bloom.

Then my big bed is full of stuff blooming but unfortunately MOST of it is weeds!! With this bum knee I am getting WAY behind on cleaning that bed up!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #7704822

Christine some lantana will come back. It usually comes up late if it's going to come back.
Cindy the lantana I got from you at Oct RU is coming back. I was surprised since we had such a cold winter.
Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #7704905

My lantana is just starting to come back. I noticed a few new leaves pop up yesterday. I also noticed lily of the valley up the other day. I thought I had killed it - can't remember who gave it to me at the Oct. RU. It died right after I planted it. But surprise!! It came up and bloomed this week - yea!!

Cindy - the byzantine glads you gave me two years ago are blooming - this is the first time, they grew but did not bloom last year. So pretty!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #7705566

Yep, Genna, Emily does live in a foreign country--they even speak a different language: Cajun! LOL We are just teasing, Emily--hope you don't mind! After all, we "Arkies" have to endure being called "rednecks" and "hillbillies"!

I've never had lantana come back but I sure wish it would--it is so pretty!

I saw Jeri's photos on Facebook--her gardens already look so good. I am really eager to see them at the RU in May.

I met my BFF, Janie, today in NLR so she could pick up Geah from me. Since I was down there anyway I went to Hobby Lobby just to see if I could find any bargains. Well, they had all of their metalware on sale for 50% off. I bought some brightly colored metal buckets to use for making another plant stand. I need to have Jason drill holes in the bottom of the buckets for sliding over the rebar. I am going to put this plant stand in the new shade garden. I have bought some impatiens and columbine to put in the pots. Once I get it finished, I'll take a photo ofit for you all to see.

On my way home today, the thermometer in my car said it was 86F! Whew! that is too hot! I was going to mow the yard this afternoon but now I am going to wait until about 7 p.m. when it is cooler.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 14, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #7705694

Marilyn, the idea of using the different color buckets sounds really neat and colorful! I liked the one they had on the website of the red/white/blue patriotic stand. My sister's bday is on July 4th and I am always searching for "patriotic" gifts. That would be perfect.

Are ya'll just using a straight piece of rod - or are you bending or welding a cross piece at the bottom? What diameter rebar does it need?

thanks
Genna
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7705799

I'll have to keep an eye on the Latana, I have no idea which kind it is. I have more iris blooming, these ones are yellow! I think after they all die out I'll move them with the purple, maybe move the purple into an iris garden all by themselves... hhhmmmmmm
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #7706044

none of my mexican petunias are up yet.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7706352

Genna: I used a piece of rebar that was 4 feet long and 3/8"width. I really wanted one about 6 feet long but Home Depot only had 4', 10' or 20' lengths and they don't cut them to order. After making mine, I have decided that the 4' length is all I could handle by myself anyway. I have no way of welding any cross piece at the bottom. I just hammered mine into the ground about 6 inches. Kathy Ann's plant stands are taller than mine and she said hers are hammered into the ground at least a foot. She also used bigger pots than I did which would make hers heavier than mine, so hers would need to be in the ground more than 6" to keep them from falling over. The pots I used slid down over the rebar with no problem. Hobby Lobby had blue, red, yellow, lime green, orange, black and fuchsia colored buckets but no white ones. You could use blue and red for your sister's plant stand. The buckets will have to have holes drilled in them but I have a friend whose husband can do that for me. After Buddy died, I gave this fellow several of Buddy's tools so he doesn't mind doing little odd jobs for me like drilling holes in the buckets. :o)) I try not to take advantage of him in that regard, though
When you make the plant stand for your sister, you will want to wait until you get the stand to her house before putting it together, naturally. I did make mine in the back yard and then I decided I wanted it in the flower bed along my driveway, so I had to slide all the pots off with the dirt and flowers in them. It wasn't that hard to do but I can't see making one and then having to carry it in your vehicle with flowers and dirt in the pots.
The pot on the bottom will sit up straight and you will fill it with dirt (excuse me---soil) and rest the second pot on the dirt, but tilt it at an angle. Once you get the second pot on there, you will fill it with dirt and then just keep adding the pots or buckets and resting the bottom of each successive pot on the rim of the pot below it and tilt each successive pot at an angle opposite the one below it. Then you can add the plants. Is that clear as mud? LOL I just figured out how to do mine by looking at the photo that Kathy Ann posted of her plant stand.
In the website that I posted above, the guy obviously has a crossbar of some type at the bottom of his stands because there is no way you could use it inside, otherwise. I take it that he just sells the metal stands and then the buyer has to add the pots or baskets, depending on how they want to use it.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 15, 2010
7:51 AM

Post #7707250

Well, I have some rebar - it must be 10' long...not sure, but maybe I can get Leigh to cut it in half for me. What kind of plants do ya'll recommend??

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7708731

Genna, it depends on where you are going to put your stand, or if you are making it for your sister, where would she put it--in the shade or in the sun?

In either case, if you can get plants that trail over the side, it would be pretty to put those around the outside edge and put something taller in the center of each pot. In my plant stand, I used red and white petunias to hang over the sides of the pots and gold celosia for height/ In one of the smaller pots I used a trailing sedum. My plants have already grown. I will take another picture of it tomorrow so you can see how it looks after just a week I am going to put me next plant stand in the shade which will call for shade-loving plants. I have bought impatiens and a shade-loving columbine to plant in the buckets for the new stand.

Whew! I am pooped! I worked outside all day, taking a break for lunch and another one later in the afternoon. I finished mowing my yard this morning and then I did some weeding and other maintenance on the flower beds. I tied up the climbing roses to the back fence. They have really grown this spring and they are all covered in buds. The Joseph's Coat has two large buds about to burst open.

It is amazing how much all the plants are growing. It seems like they grow several inches from one day to the next!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7708767

I can't seem to find a whole day to work in the yard. Maybe Sat. I did go by a nursery on my way home today and ending up buying a few things. At first I thought I might have found the petunias Kim is looking for. They are the same color but a different pattern. I ended up buying a pot for myself. I also bought a Butterfly Japanese Maple. I saw it when I bought the petunias and thought it was a good price compared to others I seen but wasn't sure were I would put it. After I got home and looked around I decided to go ahead and get it. So I went back. I am going to keep it in a pot for now. I had bought a pot at Tuesday Morning several weeks ago and haven't put anything in it yet. So I think I will use it.

Do any of you have a Sun Star Plant? My DSIL bought several last year. She gave some to a friend and kept some herself. But at the end of the season she threw hers away thinking it wouldn't last. Her friend kept hers and it is thriving and looks great so my SIL wants another one this year but has not been able to find one. Maybe Rita's will have it.

Here is my new Butterfly Japanes Maple. It is hard to see in the first picture. I will follow with a close up of the leaves.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7708770

Close up of the leaves.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7708782

Things are opening out. That pot in the middle of the walkway is obedient plant. I've got to find a place for it. I've also got to get the 2 wheeler out to move it - it is heavy!

Thumbnail by cperdue

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7708797

CharlotteI love that maple. Really has nice pattern on leaves.

Sorry thought Genna had posted the maple. My Daves has been crazy when I hit skip to new it skips all the way to last post.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2010 9:17 PM

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7708802

You can see my tiered planter in this picture. I bought the stand at the Flower and Garden Show a couple of years ago. I like the rebar idea better. My pots are smaller and dry out really easy.

I have a large metal planter with a flat back that I am going to hang on the pine tree with the colored bottles on it. I am going to try to find some fern and other shade things to go in it at Rita's.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2010 9:51 PM

Thumbnail by cperdue

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #7708811

Charlotte, you did very nicely on the Jap. Map. Would you please take a picture of the petunia that you bought? I was unable to go by (or should I say "buy" lol) Green Tree.
Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7708815

Charlotte - that Butterfly Japanese Maple is beautiful!

Marilyn - of course I don't mind the teasing! :)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7708821

Here is the petunia I bought today. I have bought several petunias this year. I have my fingers crossed that some of them will actually live. For some reason I have a really hard time growing petunias!! I thought they were supposed to be one of the easiest things to grow - not for me!!!LOL

Thumbnail by cperdue

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7708824

Charlotte I love the way your garden draws you in.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2010

Post #7708828

Kim I'm still thinking about the red trunk one. It's amazing how much you can stick in a yard if you work at it!!
Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7708839

You're right Cindy - it does. Great job Charlotte!

I don't remember who gave me Lily of the Valley in October but it is blooming! yea! i thought I had killed it and the other day I was watering and kept seeing something white behind some Easter Lilly leaves. When I looked it was the most adorable lil bells of lily of the Valley. So thanks again to ??? lol

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7708849

Hopefully the grass will green up back here soon. The new japanese maple is back through the arch way. I'm thinking I can put a red trunk one in front of the tree trunk you see on the right. It is a redbud and is a tall one as I trimmed all the lower limbs off. I think maybe I can put it in a pot and sit it inside the bed.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7708865

These are some of my hellebore babies. I transplanted them last May and just this last week it seems they just decided to take a major growth spurt!!

Thumbnail by cperdue

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7708868

I never even saw the post you made about the glads it just skipped by them. I was scrolling back and found it.

Charlotte is this what you are thinking of buying. I bought 2 and they died all the way to the ground but are coming back.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #7708870

beautiful Charlotte

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #7708871

This hosta should have been divided this year but I think I've waited too late!

Thumbnail by cperdue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7708874

Charlotte, your garden is looking lovely!! I agree with Cindy that it "draws you in". My pots on my plant stand are varying sizes but I have found that I have to water them every day to keep them from drying out, too. About your petunias--do you have them in too much shade? I never seem to have a problem with petunias--they grow really well for me but all of mine are in the sun all day.

I'm heading to bed--talk to you ladies tomorrow!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7708880

Thanks Cindy and Emily. Yes Cindy that looks like the japanese maple I'm talking about. The branches are very red. I think it looks so pretty. Such a contrast!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7708885

Very pretty petunia. I love those red stem jap maps!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7708893

Marilyn I put petunias in pots in the front last year in full sun and still had problems with them. I keep trying thinking I'm finally going to find some that will do right!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #7708918

Proven Winners work well for me...supertunia pink bubblegum over wintered for 2 years!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7708932

Then I need to add supertunia pink bubblegum to my list! I printed out pictures of the pots I need to fill and I am going to write the measurements on them before I go to Rita's. I also need to get some ferns and other shade stuff to go in a big metal planter I'm going to hang on the tree in the photo that has the green arbor in it. It's going to go on the front of the tree. Colored bottles are on the side.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 16, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #7709934

Wow - love that new Japanese maple Charlotte. Very pretty leaves... and I love the red stem ones too - what are they called??

I am wanting to put some Japanese maples in my foundation planting where they will only get morning sun - but I am not sure how to mix them in with out them looking out of place! My front steps extends out from the porch probably 10 or more feet and I was thinking about putting one of those weeping Japanese maples near the front of the bed where it circles up to the front of the steps... but I have no idea what they are called either!

I have trouble with petunias dying once it starts getting really hot - which the way this spring is going looks like it might be really soon considering we are already hitting mid 80s!

Genna
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010

Post #7710260

I got those supertunias, pretty much picasso today, I posted it on the rita thread, holding 2 for kim, charlotte, marilyn, bonnie and me and got 2 left

also have lime green nicotiana several to split with anybody 6 packs for 4.00 each, I will divide the 6 packs,

here's what I got today for my container plants.

Kong coleus got these in searcy at Harpes, only coleus plants i saw today, go figure, they were georgious though, that tall one is chocolate mint. they are 4.00 each and I can go back and get some if anybody wants any of them. that's kind of high but that chocolate mint was a big plant and the rest of them are the same price, their nice plants. just let me know, they don't have many left. this is for the folks going to rita's I can bring them there to give to you.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010

Post #7710262

Cuphea, flamba or something like that.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #7710264

love these yellow petunias, some of those painted daisies I forget the name of them, it's on the tag though and heliotrope

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #7710267

more gerber daisy and painted daisies

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #7710271

here's the nicotiana and a weird looking gerber daisy

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #7710274

isn't this cute

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #7710276

look at this little purslane, I just love it. hope the flower looks just like the picture

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
11:08 AM

Post #7710280

Super tunia pretty much picasso

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #7710282

Here's my front bed, growing up nicely

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
11:10 AM

Post #7710283

Virdis jap maple tree

Yours is beautiful Charlotte, Love your third pic there, of the whole area, it's beautiful

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
11:12 AM

Post #7710290

Lovely, KA!!! If you return to the plant place please grab a mint coleus for me. Is the yellow petunia a proven winner supertunia also? I cannot wait to see the purslane in bloom!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 16, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #7710295

Kathy Ann I want one of the petunias for my Mamma
I also need you to bring me 2 more lip balms, one of each flavor
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #7710296

I didn't know that about the yellow one, that doesn't mean it's hardy ha? just means we could get fined terribly if we propagate and resell LOL their injected with die aren't they? those proven winners i think that's what the lady said. she knows I use to sell plants. I assured her that all the supertunias weren't for me LOL i'll get you a chocolate mint coleus too. I'll wait to see if anybody else want s any before I make a run back to that store.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #7710300

Got you down for one supertunia Sandra, and I got 6 flavors of lipbalms now LOL

grape
rosemary mint
pina colada
peppermint ice
strawberry
butterscotch

take your pick

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 16, 2010
11:17 AM

Post #7710307

I meant to say too that the "painted daisy" is osteospermum. I love those, if you ever see the one that has the tip that looks like a spoon, I would like one of those. They are like annuals for me, some people say they come back for them. Most of the osteospermums have the prettiest blue center, especially the ones called Passion Mix
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
11:17 AM

Post #7710311

Oh boy! Yes, the petunia police may start looking for us. LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 16, 2010
11:18 AM

Post #7710313

Oh good--I will take a peppermint ice and a rosemary mint--they sound delicious--LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #7710330

Ok Sandra, thanks for that name, I never can say that or spell it.

Here's TB iris magic pallette, blooming today

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 16, 2010
11:24 AM

Post #7710335

What is the plant with the white blooms in your front bed picture?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
11:24 AM

Post #7710338

Alien mist just opened this morning.

Now I have to go get something constructive done , like plant plants LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
11:26 AM

Post #7710345

Tiarella not sure of the name, i think I lost the tag on that one.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #7710407

Charlotte - great choice on the butterfly JM ! Your yard is very pretty. Love all the mature azaleas ! They are really putting on a show.

I believe the red barked JM you are wanting is a Sango Kaku. There are others, but that one is the most popular and easiest to find. The 2nd nursery we are planning on visiting next Saturday had a very nice selection of JM's last year. I think Ruth was photo'd trying to take seed off some in the pictures... lol.

KA - your virdis is doing great and so is your front bed ! Man, you are orgainized. I have finally started having iris' bloom so hopefully, some of them will be blooming next Friday.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
12:07 PM

Post #7710450

not organized at all.

oh look, my yellow lady banks rose is blooming, it's so cute, no fragrance though

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 16, 2010
12:12 PM

Post #7710467

That magic palette is pretty...

Anyone know of a nursery that might carry Osteospermum in LR? hopefully some different colors. I just love them and was considering trying to order some off line but thought I might could find some in LR... just don't know where to look for annuals. I am supposed to be making a trip tomorrow if plans don't change...

Marilyn, or KA, how many pots do I need to buy for my stands? 5 ??? Need to write it down... The bottom one is largest, then two the same size then two smaller ones?? is that correct?

Thanks
Genna
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 16, 2010
12:14 PM

Post #7710477

Oh, and my Lady banks is absolutely loaded! I NEED to get a picture... took one last week and it was just starting to bloom but it is totally covered now.

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #7710624

I bet good earth in little rock has them.

one larger one onthe bottom and 4 the next size smaller for the others

and I have another one with just the regular size pots and there's 6 of those
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
1:26 PM

Post #7710659

Wow Charlotte and KA! Looking good! I took a few more pics last night but had to quit since I started getting allergies and the skeeters were coming out.

This is a bee balm that was just one stem last year.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
1:27 PM

Post #7710662

This one isn't growing as fast.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
1:28 PM

Post #7710669

My red canna is coming back!!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
1:29 PM

Post #7710670

Red Potatoes are getting bigger

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7710673

I was weeding a couple weeks ago and accidentally dug some medium/small brown bulbs that looked like they weren't doing anything up. I buried them again anyway, and now I have these!

Thumbnail by crissyr

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 16, 2010

Post #7710674

Thanks KA... what size pots do you suggest? I hope to find some bright colored ones for my yard. I can just paint some for my sister if I can't find the right colors...

Genna
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010

Post #7710675

Peas are getting bigger too!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7710681

Look at these!! When they die out I want to move the purple ones and these yellow ones together, and have an iris bed. Maybe they'll bloom at the same time then.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
1:32 PM

Post #7710686

oooooooooo

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #7710688

Look how fat the buds are!

Thumbnail by crissyr

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 16, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7710690

really pretty Crissy ... I love yellow.

beck5711
(Becky) Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7710691

Beautiful pics girls... makes me want them all!!

Charlotte.. your gardens are absolutely gorgeous!! Your new sitting area almost looks lost for all the beauties!..LOL
beck5711
(Becky) Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7710696

wow Crissy.. everything is looking good!!

meant to say I luv tha cuphea Kathy Ann!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
1:42 PM

Post #7710706

Prettty Crissy. Thanks Beck.

Genna, Mine were in quart size pots, if I had known you were looking for them, i could have picked up some for you, I've seen the most i've ever seen today in Batesville, 4 or 5 to 6 kinds. they are all so pretty. You want me to look out for you when we go to rita's ? i'll have to ship them to you though, we don't see each other that often.

I'm impressed with your potatoes crissy, mine are just popping through the ground. I got some yukon gold's planted.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
2:43 PM

Post #7710897

I went on a MG excursion today and just got home. I ended up going back by Green Tree and getting the other Japanese maple I wanted. The one I bought yesterday was $49 and the one I got today was $54 and from other nurseries I've looked at those are pretty good prices for the size of the tree. Bonnie the red stemmed one I got today is a Sango KaKu. The common name on the tag is Coral Bark. I'm going to put it in a pot.
Kathy Ann everything is looking really good. I bought some pursalene yesterday too. I had it last year and really like it. I put mine in a shallow container and sat on the ground because there are lots of tree roots where I wanted to put it. I'm going to put the petunias you found today in pots in the front yard. Those are so pretty and unusual!
Christine your garden is really coming along. Looks very pretty.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7710917

Kathy Ann, lovely blooms and your front garden is doing great! Where are you going to put all those plants you bought?

Crissy, your plants are looking good, too!

Genna: I saw some painted daisies at either Wal-Mart today or at Lowe's on Wednesday--can't remember where I saw what--LOL

This is the mystery plant I posted a few weeks ago. It is blooming now. Is this an aster?

Thumbnail by marsue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #7711031

That's a pretty plant Marilyn, but I have no idea what it is. not even a good guess. you should put it on the id forum and let us know what they say.

I'm going to fill that stacked pot arrangements with some and i have 4 or 5 other pots I want to do arrangements in also. going to try to do that tomorrow.

Cause today I mowed all the grass, washed my car inside and out, did laundry, I think that's it. repotted l0 dynomite crepe myrtles I got recently , (their tiny) have to let them grow out a bit. going to plant them along the front of my property infront of the house . i'm redoing that area out there. If darren didn't have plans tomorrow, I'd make him go pull up all the landscape timbers and soaker hose tomorrow, but I guess it will stay there till he gets spare time LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #7711038

Kathy Ann, Sandra said my "aster" is what she calls a "ditch daisy" and that it multiplies like bunnies! Oh, me! I may have to pull it up after it blooms. Don't need that many ditch daisies in my garden!

And thanks for saving a couple of those supertunias for me and I would also like some of the nicotiana if you have any left.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7711119

Before I went to work this morning, I stopped by The Old Mill and took some pictures. Many of them are too big to post on DG, as it would take forever to upload, so I put them on picassa. I started where we entered in the fall and walked all the way around taking pictures. The wind was blowing and you can see blooms floating through the air in some shots. Some of the pix came out a little fuzzy. I hope you enjoy.

http://picasaweb.google.com/i.am.duckmother/TheOldMill2010#5460854213084204418
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #7711328

I'll bring you some green nicotiana too Marilyn.

Kim, those photos are beautiful. Love them

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7711558

Here is my new Japanese maple, Sango kaku. This pot needs something in it. I had a perennial in it that didn't come back. So I think I will put it in this pot in this spot. I hope it's not in too much shade.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7711564

Here is what the stem looks like up close. The branches are also very weeping and flowing.

Thumbnail by cperdue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7711571

Nice!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #7712327

I got my stacked pot arrangement done this morning before rain sets in. here's a few pics of it. had enough to do 2 more pots of arrangements.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7712335

another view, I hope they grow up fast LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
7:21 AM

Post #7712336

and one of the containers I did.

Have to go make a lemon cake and get things ready for company coming to dinner tonight. I hope we get a little rain so my corn will sprout.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #7712358

Kim those pics are awesome!! Thank you for taking those! I have a goose question. There's a pretty big private pond in my neighborhood and last spring/summer a couple of what looked like Canadian Geese showed up and had a big flock of children. The female disappeared over the winter, but the male is still there and he's by himself, or seems to be anyway. Don't they mate for life? What do they do when either the male or female disappear?

I don't plan on being too busy today, weeds are still taken care of, pollen is very high, Dave still has a headache from it, and it might rain sometime today. Plus our Prosecutor's Conference is next week and I'm wiped out from this past week.

Charlotte your garden is looking awesome! Love the new Japanese Maple, they are so beautiful.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #7712365

KA your pots are gorgeous too, I love everyone's stacked pots, I need to learn how to do arranged gardens like that where everything matches.

My chives and cilantro aren't coming up and those seeds were planted probably 3 weeks ago, and my pansies aren't coming up either, they were planted at the same time. I have Babies Breath seeds I planted about 2 weeks ago, no sign of them either. gggrrrrrrr
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #7712544

KA love your pots. I keep saying I am going to make one of those someday.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
9:25 AM

Post #7712581

Love those pots too Kathy Ann. They are nice size pots.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #7712641

Very nice plant pix!

Crissy, when you see a group of Canada geese, they are all family. So, there are several things that may have happened. The female may be nesting and he is standing guard and the rest of the group is at the feeding area (where ever that is) or this goose was injured and can no longer fly. The family will eventually leave him behind...not to worry some will return for a visit. Unfortunately, geese are beginning to be treated as an undesirable animal and are being hunted out of season, etc, to decrease the population...this of course, is illegal. Also, geese get wrapped up in fishing line a lot! There are also a lot of predators. So, many things could have happened to the either adult. There is a chance that the female was injured and they stayed here to nest and something has happened to the male and you are seeing the female swimming around. There are so many scenarios it is hard to guess what is happening or happened.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #7712732

Took the day off yesterday and boy did I get a lot done! Thursday afternoon I went to the plant sale at the Botanical Gardens (Huntsville). Got a native azalea (Piedmont azalea), Watchet azalea (medium pink late bloomers), several annuals to finish up some containers, a yellow tomato plant, burpless cuke plant and a daylily. Seems like there were some other things that made it home too but I can't even remember now. Tried to restrain myself but it was really, really hard. I got everything planted yesterday. We had to shop for grandkid birthday gifts Friday too. We're on our way to Birmingham today for the big birthday celebration. Gracie turns 9 and Evan is 4. Should be fun. I'll post photos of new plants later. Love all the photos, especially the JM's. I bought 3 new ones this year and have been re-working a couple of beds.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7714665

I bought an Amsonia a few weeks ago and planted it a few days ago. Yesterday, all of the greenery is laying limp in the pot. Do you have any ideas why this is?

If this dies, it will be the third of five plants that I bought from Pine Ridge. I am not going to blame her for it but I most likely will never buy from her again...at least not before planting season.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #7714676

I don't have any idea Kim. In the past I've had good luck with her plants.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2010
7:58 AM

Post #7714942

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1088788/ I didn't want to take away from this thread but please visit this one if you have a minute. My Granddaughter Ella and her modeling in dress up at Nona's house. Check out her poses and I mean all her own.

This message was edited Apr 18, 2010 9:59 AM

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2010
8:27 AM

Post #7715006

Cindy those are amazing!! She is a born model!!!! Seriously she would make a great child model!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #7715012

Kim, all of the plants I bought at Pine Ridge are doing well, except for one. I don't know if it is dead or just late in coming out but I am going to give it a little more time. The Spikenard from Pine Ridge which I thought was dead came on out and is doing quite well. She said she would refund our money if they didn't live. You might give her a call.

Kathy Ann, all of your pots are looking good--the plants will grow in a hurry. It is amazing how much mine have grown in just a week!

Elaine: have a good time at the birthday party!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2010
8:56 AM

Post #7715071

Maybe too much water kim? not sure though, My amsonia I got from her isn't up yet eithe, doesn't look like it will either. I'm not having alot of luck with her plants either. shame. that milkweed she gaveme isn't showing any life yet either. those little jewelweeds are growing though LOL

beck5711
(Becky) Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2010
10:51 AM

Post #7715269

Cindy.. your Ella is precious!!! I agree with Charlotte.. she would make a born child model!
tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 18, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #7715335

Cindy, Ella is adorable! And your pics are great. Love those continuous shots. Everyone needs that to catch those GKs in action.
Terrye
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2010
11:32 AM

Post #7715352

I agree with Becky and Charlotte!! She is adorable Cindy!

There is this tree in the forest across the street. I can't get close enough to it to get a real good close-up, there are Water Moccasin's over there and I think I'm just going to leave those alone, but can anyone tell me what it is? It's hard to see with all of the other trees blended in with it.

Kim I keep saying 'he' because it's the biggest goose I have ever seen, and it's definitely one of the Canadian varieties. There was a plastic bag stuck in one of the owner's crepe myrtle the other day along the road and it was standing very tall staring right at that bag, he/she did not like it at all. It doesn't look injured at all, walks and swims perfectly fine and it's wings are both right where they're supposed to be, and I've never seen anyone fishing on the pond, it doesn't have a water supply and it's not a big pond. Who knows, just sad to be because last year there were a bunch of babies and a momma running around with him/her.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #7715370

This tree forgot what time of year it is!

Thumbnail by crissyr

beck5711
(Becky) Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2010
12:11 PM

Post #7715436

Crissy.. in TN we had the geese come every year, and I so enjoyed them. They do mate for life and if something happens to the other, they will still be with the flock, but you can tell they are alone. I just assumed it was the same ones that came back every year, kinda like the hummers do, and we fed them good..lol back when he had the pigs. Every time Lyle would fill the corn bins for the pigs and IF he'd spill any of the corn, here the geese would come running. There are some around here even in TX but we don't have a pond here, and I assume that is where they need to be. Have no id for you on the tree, but I think I'd have to make a lot of noise and go dig it up! it's pretty
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2010
3:55 PM

Post #7715991

Thank you all she is really a photo ham. My hubby asked me where does she learn all those provocative poses. Yes having a girl is anew thing for me. I had 2 boys and then 2 boy grands before her. The first 4 months of her life she hated my house. She cried the entire time she would come. At the time I was thinking I wasn't so crazy about having her. LOL. I am learning as I go how to deal with girls and I now have another granddaughter. I have told my daughter in law that she needs to put Ella in the local theater group when she comes of age because she is Dramatic.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #7716024

Oh my, Cindy! What a precious angel!

Sorry you are having troubles with her plants, too, KA. I have not been out back yet today (been working), but I check on them before dark. I am hopeful all is okay.

Crissy, I would have to look at the goose to see if there happens to be a problem. However, you may see Mom and all of the babies, soon.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2010

Post #7716155

I don't know how to deal with girls either!! I raised a son he has 3 sons and I had a brother. DH has a 6 yr old granddaughter and she is totally different from the boys!!
beck5711
(Becky) Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7716580

I have a boy and a girl, and my girl definitely cost more money and more heartache..lol
Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #7716810

Cindy she is too precious for words!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2010
7:07 AM

Post #7717707

I hope so Kim, they were so cute last year!! I may be seeing one, then the other, and not knowing it too.

I'm going to put the tree on the Tree ID forum, see if anyone there knows who it is. I'm not digging it up no matter what, there's a creek that houses Water Moccasins down there.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2010 9:20 AM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
7:28 AM

Post #7717757

Crissy; it could be a pear tree. I have two pear trees and their blooms like like that but it is really too hard to tell for sure, given that you couldn't get a really good close-up of the blooms.

Cindy, I posted on your thread about Ella but I will repeat what everyone here has said. She is adorable and quite the drama queen! :o)) To me, the granddaughters are easier to relate to, although small boys are a lot of fun, too. However, when boys get older, it is harder for me to find things that I can do with them, especially now that I am older and can't play ball with them, etc. Girls, on the other hand, love places like "Body and Bath Works" or Claire's and similar stores. To me it is much easier to buy birthday/Christmas gifts for girls than for the guys. My granddaughters all loved to dress up and play tea party, etc. I have made it a tradition to take my granddaughters to eat and shopping on their birthday. With teen girls, you just sit back and listen and they pretty much do all the talking! LOL Teen boys are usually just the opposite--trying to get anything out of them is like trying to pull teeth! They talk in one syllable words--yep, nope, dunno, okay. LOL Now that my two older grandsons are in their 20's, it is easier to have a conversation with them, though. When I go to my daughter's, my oldest grandson (25), Christopher will usually go with me (he does the driving) and he and I have had some really good conversations. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive and that gives us time to catch up on things while we are driving. It's been good getting "re-acquainted" with him now that he is more talkative. LOL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2010
7:46 AM

Post #7717810

With boys you just have to ask a lot of questions to lead them to "remember" things they need to tell you! Like when DGS won a slot on the All State Band, he didn't think to tell me until I asked "well is there anything else going you haven't told me about". Then the answer was "oh yeah..." My parents lived out of state when my son was growing up and the two of us made a lot of trips to see them. I still treasure that time and the conversations we had while confined in the car. Was a memory making time.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 19, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #7717865

Cindy - she is precious! Bet she could pick up some modeling jobs or advertising jobs for sure...

Kyle and I have GREAT conversations to and from pole vault every week... Alex and I still don't have great conversations except about rare subjects but i hope eventually that will change. Kyle and I have always gotten along better personality wise - Alex is more quiet and withdrawn about his thoughts - more like his Dad... Kyle is more like me! LOL

Jessica - just depends on the day! I agree girls are DEFINITELY different!! She also has that 'girly' gene that I didn't get...LOL... but somedays she wants to talk your ear off and some days she doesnt want to talk at all!

KA- your pots are cute! I went to Good Earth on Saturday but didn't buy a lot of things. Had wanted some dark purple ostepernum (sp?) and they only had ONE! So I got one light purple as well - but I am not sure if ONE is going to be enough for a pot. I had a plan that I wanted one pot of light purple, one pot of dark purple, a hot pink petunia or coral bells (not sure if that is the right name) of some type - and I thought the lime green sweet potato vine would look nice in the bottom... but I didn't find a petunia that struck my fancy - so i got the two ostepernum (or whatever they are) and one sweet potato vine. I don't have much experience with pots so I didn't know how many of each I really needed. So far, I still haven't found any pots! I did find some of the regular clay pots but I had really wanted colors so I was trying to hold off til I could find them. Looks like you have several plants per pot - so guess I will still be looking for more plants! I also purchased a hot pink Gerber daisy but I wasn't sure if it would hold up to the full sun... so I didn't think it would be able to go in there since I plan on putting my stack out in a bed in the sun...

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #7718198

While we are bragging on our grandchildren (we were bragging, weren't we? LOL) could I brag on my 16 yr. old DGD, Samantha? She was accepted to Arkansas Governor's School this summer in the music dept. It is a 4 week school. I think it is at Ark. Tech in Russellville but it might be at UCA in Conway. She also has one week of flag line camp (she is co-captain of the Cabot High School Band flag line) and one week of band camp scheduled so her summer is already planned out! Teens are busy these days but it is so much better for them to be occupied rather than having too much time on their hands.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 19, 2010
11:10 AM

Post #7718405

Congratulations Marilyn! That is really great! They asked Kyle to apply, said based on his ACT they were sure he would be accepted, but he didn't want to give up 4 weeks of summer! He is going to Boy's state, Super Summer, and Centrifuge and MIGHT get to attend the UA football camp... we don't have everything lined out yet - plus, he has football workouts he is responsible for and he will be working 2 jobs. I really wanted him to go ~~ looks great on scholarship apps~~ but I understand not wanting to give up that many weeks.

I am sure she will have a blast - everyone I know who has participated really had a great time!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2010
12:36 PM

Post #7718612

Aren't our children & grandchildren just wonderful?!? Even with all their differences, each one is fun in their own way. We spent Saturday in Birmingham at birthday parties for Grace (9) and Evan (5). The rest of the b'ham grands were there too. My other DGD was in Nashville for a soccer tournament. We went there Sunday to watch their final two games. They won the U-10 girls division of the Music City Spring Invitational!! Congrats to the team. Mackenzie plays keeper (goalie); she has really improved her punting this year and managed to kick the ball from her goal and scored in the opposite goal on the kick. It was awesome! Here is a photo I took during the game.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2010
12:45 PM

Post #7718634

By the way, Marilyn, YES we are bragging, but we have all the rights in the world to brag!! Congrats to all on the accomplishments this year. And about the girly thing Genna...Grace wanted to have a flag football game at her party. Mom Jennie tie-dyed t-shirts for them to wear and son Matt helped 'coach' along with a few of the other Dads. She is definitely not a girly-girl...for about a year she was into a little bit of 'pink and purple' but that did not last long. She danced for a while and then started gymnastics where she has really done well in competition her first year. Her older brother Parker and younger brother Evan also love sports & do well. However, the youngest grand-daughter, Harper (5), is just like Ella. Nothing but a dress or skirt will do and the more pink and frill the better.

Here is a pic of Gracie and her team. She's playing 'center' and that's son Matt on the left.

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 19, 2010
12:53 PM

Post #7718647

How funny ! NOW that is my type of girl! I love football... and so does Jessica... but she is all about the frill too... LOVES jewelry, clothes, shoes... just give me my blue jeans and sandels or tennis shoes and I am fine. She went to LR with friends Friday night and visited the dollar jewelry store - I think she thought she had gone to heaven... she came home with a pile of jewelry!!

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2010
12:59 PM

Post #7718656

And not to be left out of the games this weekend...Evan had a baseball game on Saturday. He absolutely loves to hit the machine pitch balls. Little thing can slam the ball too and throws well. Needs work on catching those fly balls. The little guys were fun to watch.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2010
1:20 PM

Post #7718706

Genna, check out her black shoes! That was a Gracie choice when she got new shoes. According to her Mom it's a fight to get her in a dress for church. Mack (the soccer player) is almost the same way, but she will put on a dress without a fight. I loved the football idea too and they caught on pretty quick.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #7719202

Great photos of the g-kids, Elaine! "Different strokes for different folks".
My DGD, Samantha, is a girly-girl who doesn't like to play athletic games. However, she had several years of tap, ballet and jazz, and she has even done some of the "cowboy" line dancing, which her mother is "into". She plays clarinet in the regular band and saxophone in the jazz band. Her jazz band spent this past week-end in Branson, MO where they performed on the stage of the Branson Belle (paddle wheel boat) during their 4 p.m cruise around Table Rock Lake on Saturday afternoon. She is also an avid photographer and is quite good at it, having done some senior pictures for some of her classmates. She posts a lot of her photos on Facebook but I don't think it is possible to get them off Facebook to show you any of them.

When Samantha's mother (not my daughter) got married last year, Samantha was, naturally, in the wedding. This is a photo from the wedding. She was still wearing braces on her teeth at that time but they have since been removed. Edited to add: that's her natural hair color.
Okay, I'm done bragging--for now! (I do have other grandchildren, you know--LOL)

The thumbnail doesn't show her head! :o(( You will have to enlarge the photo to see the full picture.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2010 6:49 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 19, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #7719243

Marilyn, you just brag on that pretty girl all you want--I agree she is beautiful !
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010

Post #7719253

Thank you, Sandra! Buddy had two granddaughters, Natalie and Nancy, who love me, too, and I spend time with them occasionally. I guess I can brag on them next. LOL
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7719375

KA - your pots look wonderful ! I haven't done anything this year with my stack pots. After loosing all my sedums that was in them, I just haven't gotten back to them.

Oh Cindy - your little Ella is adorable and what a "ham" ! You did wonderful at taking her pictures. My Step-daughter does pics out here sometimes, and I know how wonderful those pictures are - capturing those moments !

Marilyn - congrats on your DGD getting accepted. Music is a timeless hobby for anyone that she will always have.

Wow Elaine - what a capture you got !... and what form ! I know you are proud of her. I have 2 DGD's that do sports and what great structure that gives them... and alot of committment from the parents !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7719376

Marilyn you do have the right to brag, she is a very pretty and talented young lady!! You just have to listen to us brag also!!!LOL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #7719383

Bonnie I still have empty pots!! But I'm not filling mine until we go to Rita's because you all have told me what wonderful stuff she has. What I have done (and can't believe I'm this organized) is take a photo of each large pot and I have printed it out and next I'm going to write the dimensions next to the photo. So I will be doing some serious shopping when I get there!! I also ordered the container magazine Sandra told me about. It came today and I will be studying it before Sat.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 19, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7719398

Oh, Charlotte I forgot to tell you, the umbrella tree in one of Rita's pots, came from Bonnie's house--so her umbrella tree is famous now !
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #7719404

That is too funny Charlotte. I hope you aren't disappointed now that we all have you pumped! lol. I really think you will be amazed at her stuff - it is all soooo healthy. I just hate you aren't gonna be able to come by my house. I too have tons of empty pots ! I have bought a few annuals, but not much. I am just going "blind-sided". I've been trying to get all my stuff out of the greenhouse this weekend before it cooks. At least it is out - maybe not in the ground yet, but better than it was. I lost several things because I waited so long. I should not buy another elephant ear, or any tropicals... yeah right. We will see how long I stick by that one.
The problem is - they grow, so when they go into the greenhouse - they are bigger which means larger pots and the older I get - I can't lift them as well as I used to.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7719412

That's funny you thought about that Sandra.
I wish Charlotte could come to my house on Friday to see the grown ones and to see my Jap. Maples.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 19, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7719419

I know, she is going to miss something beautiful !
I found my magazine finally and went all through it, I remember Kenny having to tell you it was in there. He bought one at the airport on his trip to Hawaii
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7719492

Oh no - not beautiful - sometimes I think everything just looks junky. Not happy with several of my beds yet.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 19, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7719532

Yes, it is beautiful at your house--I have been there 2 different times and it was beautiful both times--no more arguing with me--especially your Jmaples

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7719542

Bonnie I'm sorry I'm not going to get to see your gardens this time!!! But will have to make another trip to see them!!! I noticed that umbrella tree and really like it. I have two big pots on my deck that are way too heavy to even think about moving and I wanting to put some things in them like the umbrella tree. They both need height. I also have a couple of pots I keep back in a very shaded area. So I'm limited to what I can put in them. I have a piece of cast iron plant in one of the pots and I need to add some neat stuff. I end up putting impatiens in a lot of pots but I'm about to get tired of so many of them. I have those little devils coming up all over the place again!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7719547

Bonnie are we ever totally happy with our beds?? LOL
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2010
9:20 PM

Post #7720016

Thank you all on the comments about Ella. I think she is special but of course she is mine. I'm not so sure she could do much modeling because they would tell her how to pose. LOL
Elaine great shot and I agree with Bonnie, she has great form. She may be high kicking on the drill team one day. Congats to the team
Now a flag football game is my kind of fun. I taught myself to shoot football so the coach would let me on the sidelines during a game. I could not stand sitting in the stands not knowing what they were going to do next. I was the only parent that was ever allowed down on the sidelines at the high school football games. I will cherish those years forever. I have only been to one dance recital but I will attending those for Ella this year.

Marilyn you have every right to brag talented and beautiful. Samantha is getting prettier and prettier.

Bonnie I have seen pictures of your place. wonderful. I treasure being able to walk through someone else's gardens. I didn't know your umbrella plant was famous.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7720638

Congrats Marilyn!!! That's awesome for her!!!

Elaine great pics! It is definitely better to keep them busy than to not be busy.

Someone gave these to me at an RU, I think it was last Spring. Does anyone know what it's called?

Thumbnail by crissyr

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #7720656

I have tons of those Chrissy so they could have been mine. .I think they are a form of LA. iris. Not really sure because they are passalongs.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 20, 2010
8:23 AM

Post #7720812

I am glad you answered, Cindy--I was going to call it a dutch iris, then I decided to wait, my memory is not so good anymore !
Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2010
8:43 AM

Post #7727011

Anyone heard from Ruth lately? She has been on my mind and I'm wondering how she is feeling???
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #7735291

She posted on the Rita's thread that she's ok but didn't go to Rita's because of the weather. I think I would have opted out also, I'm scared to death of a thought of a tornado, and MS seemed to have gotten slammed. Here's the accuweather report, they seem to have more information than The Weather Channel does.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/30773/reports-of-destructive-tornado.asp

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7736957

anybody else go to the Master Gardener's sale on Saturday? I went to the one in LR and then DH and I drove to Hot Springs and went to the Garland County one. Once again I did not need a single plant but you can bet the car was full on the way home. I got a confederate rose, an oak leaf hydrangea, some sun coleus for my new baskets, 2 six packs of columbine, some tomato plants, a six pack of heuchera, a six pack of alyssum gold dust, SIX daylilies, and a bunch of other stuff. Last week I went to the Saline county sale and picked up 15 things, irises, daylilies, a japanese maple and some other stuff, then this morning I went to Lowe's and bought 3 coreopsis and 2 columbines and a Lenten Rose all on clearance of course.

Just for the record they have their Lenten Rose's on sale for $6 - they were originally $12.98 so that seemed like a good deal. I don't have any so I bought one and we'll see how it does. Here's a picture of it.

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7736966

You guys all inspired me to try making a pot stack and here it is! I love it and so easy to make!! Also you can see in the background there my two new yellow azaleas I bought when we were in Georgia for the Masters.

This message was edited Apr 25, 2010 9:22 PM

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2010

Post #7736982

And here's my other 'find' - I bought these metal deck planter box holders for only 79 cents each at Kmart after Christmas. Wasn't sure exactly what I'd do with them but they were originally $7.99 so I couldn't pass them up. I had a hard time finding the planters themselves finally located them at Big Lots and I still only found 4! I used some of my new flowers to spruce up this area where you walk down from the bottom deck and beside the top one. Oh yeah and I also got 4 great big wave petunias in the prettiest white with lavender at the LR MG sale. I wish I had bought more of them:(

Thumbnail by kjuddy

Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #7736990

Sounds like you got some good deals Karen - thats a lot of plants, but then we can never have too many! love your new tipsy pot stand - they are so cute. What is that in the bottom pot - looks like something I have that has no id.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7736996

Hey Kathy Ann here's a picture of the Omaha Gold Columbine you gave me at the RU in October - no blooms yet but it looks great!

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2010
7:30 PM

Post #7737014

The bigger plant is a columbine the smaller one is a heuchera I'll have to look up the name cause I can't remember it at the moment. Yes I got some great deals but you wonder when I'll learn that every plant I buy I have to PLANT!! I'm exhausted tonight:)
Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7737029

That's what it is! I am pretty sure Sandra gave it to me last year, maybe Green Apple Columbine or something like that. I'll have to ask her. I bet you are tired, that's a lot of planting, but it is so worth it and you will be glad you bought them. Am sure you will sleep good tonight - Sweet dreams! :)
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 25, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #7737080

I didn't do much planting today - just my three new clematis... but I am exhausted from staying up til late this morning for after prom last night and weeding and weeding and weeding this afternoon... looking lots better but I am a LONG way from being caught up and I am literally not sure if I will be able to MOVE tomorrow!!

Karen - sounds like you loaded up on plants! I bet they will be beautiful!

Have a good night everyone!

Genna
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #7738567

Good job, Karen! some great bargains, too!

We need a new thread so everyone join us over here, please!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1091497/
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #7743874

Karen, that's not omaha gold columbine, that's woodside gold columbine, I might have also gave you a omaha gold salvia too.

your columbine looks good. so do your planters.

i'm going to the new thread now.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America