Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: Got a question, propagating!

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 14, Views: 335
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dvsdutch54
Catalina, AZ

April 6, 2010
12:00 PM

Post #7684456

I have this old pink geranium can I cut the leggy stems off and root them in soil...If you know let me know. Thanks

Thumbnail by dvsdutch54
Click the image for an enlarged view.

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7687403

I've had pretty good luck with mine rooting by cutting them just below a leaf node and putting them in damp sand. They don't root consistently in soil for me---often they just rot from the base. The sand seems to help with that. That's a beautiful color!
Calico_Coleus
Northeast, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2010
7:51 AM

Post #7732476

Should you remove the beautiful flower?
CC
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2010
7:53 AM

Post #7732485

I've read that it is best to remove flowers when trying to propogate plants, as they drain energy the plant needs to produce new roots.
Calico_Coleus
Northeast, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #7732527

I'll wait a few days.
I have had one two toned pink on my front porch for at least 10 years. It just pumped out 5 beautiful bloom heads. Three of them are leggy.
Y'all might want to do a group buy of these http://cgi.ebay.com/280-RARE-GERANIUMS-HORIZON-MIX-LIVE-FLOWER-PLANTS-/260585174312?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cac163528
I have purchased 2 so-far. The ones I stepped up have doubled their size in a week.
I am also dead heading them.
The plugs are thimble size and I moved them up to shot glass size. They do best root bound. I have also found they don't do well for me if planted straight in the ground.
We had the hardest winter ever since they've been keeping records.
That Geranium just kept on pumping.
CC
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #7732542

Pretty!
lusarytole
Fairmont, WV

July 10, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #7958614

Always remove any flowers and most of the large leaves when propagating. You want all the energy going to the new roots not the flowers...

coleuslover123

coleuslover123
Mount Laurel, NJ

November 4, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #8193969

I've read that when propagating geraniums, you should let the cuttings dry out a little before planting. I'm not sure what 'a little' means, but I let mine dry about 12 hours and they seemed to do okay.

This message was edited Jan 1, 2011 9:23 PM
onyxwar
Greeley, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8381058

By drying out do you mean to lay them out before you put them in the soil? Do they need to be wrapped in newsprint or just out in the open?
I have started about 10 cutting and only have 3 that took. I am using a rooting hormone to help, but I don't know if it is doing much good. I will have to wait and see. I just took about 6 more a week ago.
Does this work for Martha Washington Geraniums too?
Sflemin
Vienna, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2011
10:30 PM

Post #8482013

Cut just below the node, remove all but a few leaves, dry the cuttings out in the open for about 4 hours or so (allows them to callous over to prevent rot), dip the cuttings in the rooting hormone, place them in the soil (or sand) and keep consistently moist. I use a mister a few times a day and have yet to lose a cutting.

coleuslover123

coleuslover123
Mount Laurel, NJ

April 24, 2011
4:04 AM

Post #8516821

I'm thinking of starting some pansy seeds inside next winter (since I Just spent $100 on pansies). I've heard they are hard to propagate. Does anyone here have any tips from trying it?
scalplantmaniac
Vista, CA

May 14, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8563373

Propagating geraniums (as in the pelargoniums that are called zonals, ivy-leaf, scented-leaf, regals/Martha Washingtons, etc.) is easy. A 3-4" tip cutting, cut just above a leaf from the plant, then cut just below the bottom leaf of the cutting. Strip off all but 2-4 leaves, the stipules (little "leaflets" where the leaf comes from the stem), and flower buds. Use a sterile potting soil (bark-based is best, watch watering very carefully if it is a peat-based mix) with about 1/3 perlite. Do not use rooting hormones. Stick the cuttings, water-in (don't let the pot sit in the drained water), and give very bright shade or with lights pretty close to the leaves. Water only when the soil surface is nearly dry--kept too wet the cuttings may rot, not root. Optimally scented, regal, and angel cuttings should be taken on vegetative growth that doesn't have flowers or buds (typically in the fall after flowering). Zonals and ivy-leaf do fine as long as flower buds are removed.
onyxwar
Greeley, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8580586

I had great luck by cutting a slit in the bottom just large enough for a pea seed to fit and putting a seed in it. Then I put the cutting in seed starting mix and kept them moist. When the seeds started sprouting I took the cutting out, removed the seed and all the cuttings had roots.
Judith705
Woodbridge, NJ

September 18, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8813703

to coleuslover123, I have started pansy seed over the years. They need no light and no bottom heat. I placed mine in a dirt-filled shallow container, (about one inch deep) sprinkling the seed over the planting mix.I lightly misted the seeds and placed a box over it to avoid any light. I forget how long they took to germinate, it should give approximation on the seed packet. I do remember starting them in Dec/Jan for placing outside in April/May here in central New Jersey. Good Luck !! Happy Birthday a day late!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9004042

Hello all, I have a couple of geraniums that are wintering in my study and they are so leggy that I can hardly get out the door! They are sitting in front of two glass french doors and get afternoon light and a couple hours of sun. Not optimal I know. I'm going to prune them back a bit and try rooting the cuttings. I hate to toss out anything that I may be able to get another plant from! Wish me luck!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America