Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Easter Lily: Easter lily scent

Communities > Forums > Article: The Easter Lily
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Easter LilyReplies: 5, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MartyJo
Fayette, IA
(Zone 4b)

April 6, 2010
2:20 PM

Post #7684751

This seems totally off the wall to me, but we once had a priest who strongly disliked the scent of lilies and insisted on substituting daffodils. Now we have a priest who insists that removing the stigma will remove the smell! Has anyone, seriously, ever heard this? He keeps asking if I have researched it. Somehow it sounds like the setup for a joke to me: "How do you keep a lily from smelling? Cut off its nose!"
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7684827

ROFLOL!

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #7684977

I've never heard of such a thing! The lily fragrance is quite powerful, though, especially when the plant is indoors, and I know some people really dislike it. I have noticed that my Easter lily's scent is much more noticeable at night, so I am assuming it is one of those plants pollinated by night-flying insects. So perhaps it depends on what time of day you are in the church...
Alaria
Rockport, MA

April 7, 2010
8:45 AM

Post #7686576

In my experience, removing the yellow anthers removes the scent, alas. Some people do this to help the blooms last longer or avoid the mess of powdery pollen (or because they don't like the fragrance -- a rarity). I prefer sacrificing the longevity in order to keep the heavenly perfume. Try keeping one or two lilies on a home shrine for the Paschal season (and it is a season -- until Ascension -- and not just one day) and walk into a home filled with that divine, evocative fragrance. I wish you all a happy and blessed Easter season...
barclay55
Atlanta, MI

April 7, 2010
12:52 PM

Post #7687139

I have been a Florist for 30 years and have sold easter lillies by the truck load and actually love the sweet scent of them , I usually cut 5 or 6 stems of them and take them home, (very european) but the scent does not diminish when you remove the anthers. The anters are just messy, so we remove them as soon as we can reach our fingers in side the bloom and gently pull them out and it does make the blooms last a bit longer, but the best advice , to make them last longer is keeping the plant very cool (especially if you can put it in a cooler at night) I actually keep them in my walk in cooler (cut or potted) for weeks after easter and take them out to enjoy for as long as I possibly can.. thanks, Marty in Michigan...
F

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #7687563

Marty, I tried your method of pulling out the anthers rather than cutting them with scissors, and I will do that from now on--although you have to wash your hand when you are done, it prevents the pollen from staining the white petals. Thanks for the professional advice!

Alaria--I love your idea of observing Easter for the whole season.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Easter Lily Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks! KyWoods 2 Apr 4, 2010 12:55 PM
Easter Lilies babybella 1 Apr 6, 2010 12:58 PM
easter lily RaeA 3 Apr 9, 2012 11:09 AM
Longiflorum g_whizz 1 Apr 9, 2012 4:37 AM
Determined to bloom aulani61 1 Apr 9, 2012 7:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America