Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Introduction to Exotic Foliage Houseplants: Liked your article

Communities > Forums > Article: Introduction to Exotic Foliage Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Introduction to Exotic Foliage HouseplantsReplies: 2, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2010
7:38 PM

Post #7688149

Geoff, I liked your article on foliage houseplants. I have recently gotten into houseplants myself, beginning a couple years back with a Rex begonia. My success with this plant spurred me to get another one, a different variety. That one did well, too. Then I tried a Stromanthe called 'Burle Marx'. It looked lush and beautiful when I bought it, but I knew nothing of this type of plant. It slowly went downhill. I've had if at least 2 years now, and it's gotten new growth, but I just can't give it the humidity it requires.

Last summer I bought a Sansevieria, which I found out thrives on neglect. That one is happily thriving in my living room.

This past winter I bought a Bird's Nest Fern. I've been very pleased with it, and it seems very happy, though it's environment is not as humid as I've read that they like. I saw a different variety and had to get it. Then I recently saw 2 on clearance at Home Depot for only $1 each. They looked not too bad, just needed a little TLC, and since they were so cheap, they came home with me, too. Then I got 2 nice size Dracaenas for $1 each at HD, and the price was right. One was the Mass Cane you mentioned in your article. We'll see how well I do with these.

I was wondering if all these plants can be kept outside in my climate during the summer, after the danger of frost is past, and if so, would I keep them in the shade or morning sun, afternoon shade? Oh, and I bought a brugmansia last fall that I've successfully overwintered in my house and will keep outside during the summer. I've been an outdoor gardener for years, and have had houseplants in the past, but very few, and that was a long time ago. I'm finally getting back into keeping houseplants again. Lately I have been on the lookout for a Philodendron called 'Prince Of Orange'. I have not grown any Philodendrons yet. I would also like one of those ZZ Plants.

I was surprised you didn't mention Rubber Plants. I got a variegated one last year and all the leaves fell off. I'm thinking I didn't water it enough. I was confused and thought it was a ZZ Plant. Now I know better.

Karen

Here's a picture of my firs two Bird's Nest Ferns.

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Click the image for an enlarged view.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7688248

Sorry I didn't cover Ficus, but I did an entire article on Ficus so you can look up stuff about your rubber plant there... there are literally hundreds of other great indoor plants, but I could not even come close to covering all of them in such an article (it would go on forever)... so things like Sansevierias, Ficus, palms, bromeliads etc. are all covered in articles I wrote specifically on those plants.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #7694152

Thanks again, Bob. I will look up your other articles when I have some time.

Karen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction to Exotic Foliage Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
The crazier the plant...the better ! heygeno 0 Apr 13, 2010 7:08 AM
zonal denial drdeadlift 3 Aug 24, 2010 9:34 PM
Thanks Geoff (Palmbob) Jnette 0 May 13, 2014 5:49 PM
An ocean of plants tropicbreeze 0 May 13, 2014 6:38 PM
Thank you for another great article! karenmulhern 0 May 19, 2014 5:00 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America