Photo by Melody

Mid-South Gardening: Sites to see in Birmingham area ?????

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #7688958

Kim, Lilylove, I know you live close and went to the Botanical gardens there, but are there any great nurseries or gardens to view other than that in the area. My sister and I are wanting to meet around that area (1/2 way between us - Memphis/Atlanta) and have a girls-weekend.

Does anyone know of anything coming up in that area ? We don't have a date in mind yet, so could probably do it whenever there is some kind of event.

Hopefully Terry or Melody will chime in here and tell me where to look in DG for nurseries in that area. Would like to know if there are any events - like gardening tours, etc.

Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Bonnie
weare6ponders
Birmingham, AL

April 8, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7690454

Bonnie,
I’m not Kim, Lilylove, Melody, or Terry (but I’d love to “meet” them). I live in Birmingham – Hoover actually. Anyway, may I suggest the Fiesta Plant Sale? It is next weekend if you could come that soon. It’s a fund raiser for the Bham Botanical Gardens and is always so fun. Easy to find right off I-65 (Lakeshore Exit). Details on the Birmingham Botanical Gardens website. Aldridge Gardens in Hoover is really neat. Have you ever been to Petals from the Past? It’s about 45 minutes south of B’ham but it is hands down the neatest nursery around. Hanna’s Garden Shop on 280 is pretty cool too if it is too far to go to Petals. (All these places have Websites) The Decorator Show House starts the April 16th (I think) as well but runs for a couple of weeks. It’s usually really nice if you are into inside home stuff.
These are the things that come to mind immediately. Hopefully, others from ‘round here will chime in. I look forward to hearing their suggestions.
I’ve visited Dave’s Garden a few times but have just started exploring all there is to read on here. Good Grief! I better stop or my husband will be overwhelmed with “Honey-Do’s” LOL
Best of luck with planning your trip and safe travels.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2010
4:53 AM

Post #7691277

Great info. ponders! Thank you so much. That is actually, exactly what I was needing. Sounds like this will be a trip forsure, but no way could we do it as soon as next weekend. lol. We should have started planning it a month or so ago. I will forward your info. to my sis (who lives in Columbus, GA) and see if she agrees with me that we should try to hit all the places you mentioned. Now I am getting excited about this.

What is funny, I had emailed a co-worker in Birmingham and asked if anyone in their division gardened and would know about what all Birmingham had to offer and all she could do really was google it. She did say the Adridge Gardens was worth going to, so I knew that and the Botanical Gardens were a couple, but you offering info on the others was perfect.

Thanks again... and stick around here on the Mid-South Forum ! We are a pretty active group, so jump in and introduce yourself.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #7691652

Ponders, just took all the words I would have said. lol. Nice to see you posting. I'm Kim. Bonnie, I'm looking forward to the Botanical plant sale. I'm a member, thus will be there on 4/15-16 this year. Hanna's is one of my fav. Also near there is nursery on hwy 17, love that place too. I've been longing to visit Petals from the Past. Living here, and I haven't been there! Shame, shame! lol. I agree, Aldridge garden is a must. The next two weekends coming up (Saturdays only) I've other engagement. But on Sundays after church I would love to meet up with you if time permits Bonnie. Have a good trip while visiting B'ham.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2010
7:24 AM

Post #7691673

That would be a great idea Kim. I'll keep you posted when we decide on what is gonna work for us.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #7744999

Any suggestions on where to stay ?
weare6ponders
Birmingham, AL

April 28, 2010
4:10 PM

Post #7746262

How much do you want to spend? Ross Bridge if you want to spend a lot of money. Super nice place. Do you know anyone that works for the state of Alabama? If so, there are rooms available for State Employees for $80. Other wise pick a Hotel in Hoover area. I would try to steer clear of the 280 area. Traffic is terrible.
The Decorators show house was a wash. It was my fault for being Nosey. It is at Richard Scrushy's FORMER house and I just wanted to see how the other half lived but it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.
If you like shopping for "Home Stuff" downtown Homewood has a lot of nice places.

Best of luck planning your trip. When are you coming?

Amy
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7746406

Thanks ponders ! Our plans are to come on May 14th afternoon. That will give us all day on Saturday, and maybe 1/2 day on Sunday. Do you know of anything special going on that weekend maybe ?... or things to stay away from that weekend ? lol

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America