Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualities: Now I'm even happier...

Communities > Forums > Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualities
bookmark
Forum: Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualitiesReplies: 4, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2010
4:29 AM

Post #7691230

... that I brought back a comfrey from that plant swap! Great article! Mine is sending up green leaves also, and now I know some things I can do with them. I especially appreciated the info on being able to cut it back several times during the season, once established.

Thanks, Sally!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2010
5:05 AM

Post #7691299

Thanks too, for the reference on using it as a liquid fertilizer. I had asked about that last year but no one had experience with it. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/921960/

I love my comfrey, using the dried leaves in the compost and I had read to use them as a liquid tea in one of my herbal books. Now, I will need to try that for sure. I'll just have to be careful when brewing the comfry fertilizer tea as I often find my pets sipping from the rain barrels or plant water.
Interesting article.

I hope you enjoy your comfrey plant for years to come.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7691342

Good morning~~ and thanks for your responses. :-)
c~~Wasn't that just last spring? The hunk I brought back here and gave no special care, I just divided a few weeks ago into three nice size pieces I replanted, and made three pots for further swapping ( momma bear, daddy bear and baby bear sized pots, the 'baby' being just some roots in hopes I can see them sprout)
podster-- you're quite welcome. I'm excited too, after reading from those who are comitted to using comfrey tea liquid.

This message was edited Apr 9, 2010 8:24 AM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #7691546

yep, my comfrey came from Holly... didnt' do as well as yours last year, as I haven't divided it yet. :-)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #7691593

From what I read, it's likely is doing better than you think and can never die! I might not have divided mine except that I was anxious to see how it did, becuase of the article . Lot of roots on that thing.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualities Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good info! Sundownr 2 Apr 14, 2010 6:28 AM
Handy for first aid, too! imapigeon 1 Apr 10, 2010 5:36 AM
regarding comfrey, cjvwm 1 Apr 13, 2010 6:47 AM
PROOF WAS IN THE PUDDING docgipe 1 Apr 13, 2010 6:42 AM
I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED docgipe 2 Apr 13, 2010 6:14 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America