Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Caudiciforms: Something rotten...Adenium

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 22, Views: 239
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #7691239

I wanted to repot a nice fat Adenium - and didn't see it coming: A major root was rotting badly, so I had to remove the infected tissue and dusting with cinnamon.

I don't think the plant is ruined if I can hide the large gap. I thought about placing the plant this way in a shallow pot.

Regards,

Martin

Thumbnail by MartinDK
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #7691242

Gap...

Thumbnail by MartinDK

MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #7691244

New position in pot...

Thumbnail by MartinDK

MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #7691249

What do you think?

Thumbnail by MartinDK

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 9, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #7691338

Not sure but I was wondering if the gap might create a bridge like pattern if it was potted differently. That might be interesting, especially if you trimmed a bit more and there was a tunnel through the bottom.
C
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #7691742

That looks pretty impressive. JT has one that has a huge hole init, hasn't bothered the plant at all.
Looks like you have some realy nice ones in the background also, where do you purchase yours from, I am raising some seedlings but that takes awhile.

Doris
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2010
8:29 AM

Post #7691857

itll work,
just keep the freshly cut area out of the soil till it hardens ;)
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2010
12:02 PM

Post #7692354

Good to hear from you Martin!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 9, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #7692399

Oh, boy, I bet you said "Eek!" or something like that when you discovered such a disaster. Bummer. The plant should survive OK.

Best time to push a DR is spring and summer when it's hot and they're growing a lot.

Some crazy things I've found on the internet lately concerning cutting roots for shape says they hang the plant for five days before they repot in barely damp medium. Yes, a sturdy string, and there the DR is up in the air at least sideways if not upside down. And, once again, I didn't save the link.

Thanks for posting this!
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #7692405

Newtonsthirdlaw,

Excellent idea. I trimmed more - and found more hidden rot even though the roots weren't mushy but firm. Apparently the rot - barely visible - has spread upwards and infected the caudex, so the plant is a goner.:-( I have saved a few cuttings, though.

Oh well, I have a few others to nurse.;-)

Regards,

Martin
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #7692818

ive lost count with learning about rot casualties.
Good luck and never give up!!
check your soil ph too ;)
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 9, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #7693096

Ah bummer! But at least you do have some nice specimens. The cuttings are a new begining too. I am really new to these plants, why do you suppose rot is so common a problem. I put mine in some soil mix that drains extremely fast and here in hotter than hell TX the odds of a potted plant staying too moist in the summer seems unlikely. I think next winter there will be no watering...
C
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 9, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7693164

Martin, so sorry you lost your plant, it looks like it was a beauty.

I keep reading, "Perfect Drainage!" Plus the plants don't use water unless their leaves are growing, hey? They need gradually less water in the fall, and little or no water in the winter months, and definitely no water if there are no leaves. Flowers don't need water, if there are flowers and no leaves, don't water.

I have a new trick, a weed! I have warm temperatures year around, but I still, in my first year, have had a generous rot problem. Here's a seedling that I water when the resident weed is shrivveled, seems to be working. I need a 'dry' photo, this is a 'wet' photo. Some sort of ornamental companion would probably do as well as a weed for a resident water meter! I am rooting some small types of coleus for my other potted plants.

This message was edited Apr 9, 2010 10:12 PM

Thumbnail by Molamola

MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
11:40 PM

Post #7693715

I have lost countless plants over the years - but that's how you learn to treat them right.;-) I'll buy a new one (or more) in May.

The problem with this Adenim was that it wasn't fully established in the pot but actively growing again (I just cut it back).

Watering in spring can be a little tricky in this cold climate especially after a dry winter dormancy (with the feeder roots dried up). Most of my Adeniums on the window sill leaf out in March and April but the temperature is still only 65-78 F - on sunny days! On cloudy days the temperature can easily drop to 50 F.

The ones I've raised from seeds myself are somewhat adapted to the shift in temperatures in spring - they even grow and take some water without rotting.:-)

Regards,

Martin

This message was edited Apr 10, 2010 8:42 AM
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 10, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #7694109

OK, so cut back an actively growing adenium when you haven't watered in ? at least a week? and then wait to water until it sprouts new leaves, and has these leaves in reasonable size, at least one full grown?

How about that? Would you edit what I wrote above, to show your thinking?

Thank you for this post! Tho' i doubt I'll ever prune a plant!

Melissa
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #7694301

Melissa,

Apparently the plant has been slowly rotting for several days - perhaps a couple of weeks. But despite that it was still growing happily - or should I say, it was desperately trying to grow stems for the last chance of flowering and reproduction.;-) Well, it didn't succeed because I cut it back before the stems matured.;-)

It has been 10-12 days since I watered it the last time - I cut it back a week ago.

Regards,

Martin
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2010
9:15 AM

Post #7696670

its tough to grow adenium in the north county as they like year around light and warmth. Martin is a master. I bow to him. I hope to put on some size watering them and giving them bigger pots when the weather gets warmer. Now I wonder how much rot I have induced on the window sill.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 11, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7696753

Watch out for pot size, its easier to give them too much moisture in a larger pot.
C
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2010
9:55 AM

Post #7696795

Newtonsthirdlaw,

You are definitely right about that. Use shallow wide pots instead of deep ones. And deep pots make the roots go down, so you end up with "carrot-like" Adeniums. I like Adeniums growing fat/wide with matching thick roots spreading sideways - not downwards.:-)

Regards,

Martin
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #7697001

How do you handle that if you just got new seedlings and they already have long roots.
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #7697251

place them in a bowl where the roots reach the bottom of the pot so they curl and start making neat shapes.
You can also weave or twist the soft ends gently
Dont break em!! ;)
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #7707517

Interesting. I have some repotting to do.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 30, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #7752651

How's it going, Martin? I'd be keeping that plant really dry until it decides to start growing again. Hope it's OK.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America