Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Electronics: Kindle ebook

Communities > Forums > Electronics
bookmark
Forum: ElectronicsReplies: 8, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ginnygail
Marquette, MI

April 9, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7691470

I would like to hear from anyone who owns a Kindle. I am thinking of purchasing one. Thanx
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 9, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #7691567

Are you interested in opinions on e readers in general or just the Kindle?

I am planning on buying a Kindle -- I have the Sony and I LOVE it - as a e-reader but the Sony E Store that sells the books isn't as good as Amazon in having the books I want to read. If not via the Sony store there is some convoluted way of getting the books and downloading and storing and uploading etc. etc. into the right 'language' for the reader. I haven't had the energy to figure that out. But as far as readers go as opposed to books ... wow... worth the money. I got it as a gift for Xmas and I thought "oh no..." "nothing will ever replace my books..." I love books, love reading them again, the smell, the feel, etc. etc. But having a reader... where I am not having to use two hands... with just the smallest stroke of the finger against the corner turns the page is great. It doesn't slip from my hands as sometimes books do. The cost of the book is less and for those 'throw away/give away books' it is great not to store. You can of course 'store' the books you don't want to let go. Turning the device on and opening at the last page I left is a bonus... highlighting a line or a word and storing it is useful especially for the student. Making notes on the device that I can go back to...all great. If I had a way to change one thing about it...I'd put a backlight.
ginnygail
Marquette, MI

April 9, 2010
2:28 PM

Post #7692708

Thank you for your input on ebooks. Being a librarian, it's hard for me to jump ship!!But, I have a house full of books. My children have more books than they can store, so what do I do with all these books? Library booksales I guess.

I stopped by Target today to look at the Sony. The clerk said they were going to carry the Kindle later in the month. It will be the Kindle 2 and not the new one.

I have not purchased one yet--maybe in July the new Kindle will go on sale. Apple's iPad is coming out with an advanced ebook which may force Amazon to have a sale.

Thanks again
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 10, 2010
12:14 PM

Post #7694724

Not only do I have a house full of books...but I get crazy that I might 'lose' a favorite (meaning loan it and then it never comes back) and so I have several of each just in case... (How many Dune series can a person have??? Owen Meany #4 is 3 too many.
All the Taylor Caldwell...all neatly in rows... Atlas Shrugged (TWICE!) (and I recently had my hand on another... oh my... Don't get the Sony...like I said ..the books can only be bought via the Sony Reader store unless you want to go to a lot of trouble to get the ones you do buy in the right tech language... and the reader store needs a LOT of improvement in getting the inventory up to standards.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

December 27, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #8279483

Ginnygail...did you get a Kindle? I have one and love it. And, if you're into the "trashy romances" you can get some of those for free. Amazon has a list of 100 free books that are changed regularly. Some of the classics are there most of the time, but others change. I have found, however, that some of the freebies are the first in a "series".

I am seriously (well, actually VERY seriously) considering an iPad, but would probably still keep the kindle.

And if you do get a Kindle, I also highly recommend getting the leather cover for it if you are planning on taking it with you alot. Mine gets crammed into my purse all the time. And it is wonderful for trips. Just don't forget the charger cord. LOL
Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8681786

I just got a kindle and LOVE IT! 2 of us are avid readers in this house. We have a shed to store the overflow--but that is rediculous in this age of computers. My local library will begin lending ebooks this year. Amazon is supposed to open it's own library. And you can borrow books from other kindle owners. And Amazon keeps a copy of your purchases on their site for you to go back to redownload them , just in case the dog eats your machine!
I got the 3g format for the convience of a constant no hassle signal even tho I have wifi at home.
I do wish that every single book came in ebook format. Eventually, they will.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 9, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8681831

I haven't used my Kindle much since I got the iPad...and one thing I do not like about the iPad is I can't seem to make the archived books disappear like they do on Kindle. So, how the samhill are you supposed to remember what you have read and what you haven't if it doesn't make them "go away"????
mevnmart
Spiro, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #8965905

I have had two kindles - a Kindle 2 and what was dubbed "Latest Generation" Kindle. I don't have a color or touch screen one. I LOVE. MY. KINDLE. That said, I find I often use my iPod Touch with the Kindle app to read in bed because I don't have to have a light on. I like the Kindle itself because it's not backlit, so no eye strain under normal reading conditions. My only irritation is that when they sold the Kindle 2, they were still doing the "Books are under $9.99" thing, which made the expense worth it. Now the readers are cheaper but the books have gone up. Sometimes the Kindle edition is more expensive than the hardcover, which makes no sense at all. But I love getting free/cheap books on it too, and being able to carry more than one book at a time. You won't regret it!
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 13, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #8966118

And I have found out how to delete archived books that I have read on the iPad...have to access "my account" at Amazon.com and you delete them from there. Better be sure you have read them, tho, because you'll have to repurchase if you deleted by mistake. LOL I usually get free ones from Amazon's list of "Top 100 free". They change them often, so I can get quite a few reads for $0.00. :>) My kind of shopping.

I also like the iPad for reading in bed, for the same reason, mevnmart. And if the Spousal Unit is in bed, I'm not bothering him with the lights on.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Electronics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Apple Ipod Nano Gwendalou 5 May 16, 2007 5:22 PM
Need Circuit Help Marth164 2 Oct 17, 2007 2:25 PM
e-S/W CKT help chacha1234 5 Oct 17, 2007 2:18 PM
MP3 advice anastatia 3 Mar 3, 2007 9:35 AM
DISH remote? anastatia 2 May 5, 2007 8:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America