Photo by Melody

Mid-South Gardening: drip hose - do you use one?

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
maryleek
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7691540

I've been considering trying the drip hose in my garden beds. Seems like it might cut down on hand watering when it gets so hot and dry. I try not to use a hose sprinkler and usually hand water at the base of the plants. This is very time consuming so trying to come up with something that will help cut down on watering time.

If you've used this hose, would you please comment on your experience with this style of watering device? My concern is that it will only water directly under the drip line. Do you leave it on all day and if so, will the water'ed area extend out a way from the hose?

Mary
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #7691642

I have used them and they work pretty good. Expanding out depends on the soil and mulch. They do rot easily though. I can't seem to get more than one season out of the anymore.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7701057

Before I had an irrigation system put in I used the black porous soaker hoses. I had pretty good luck with them. I just put it in the bed and covered it with mulch and left the end exposed so I could hook the hose up to it easily. I didn't leave the on all day, but would leave on for several hours at a time.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 13, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #7702714

We purchased several 2 yrs ago thinking we could use them for several years. They were actually purchased for a vegetable garden - they worked well, BUT, even though we stored them at the end of the season, when I pulled them out last year to put on my large flower bed to try to save my sister time while watering when we were on vacation - most had holes in them... i was very disappointed!

They MIGHT hold up longer if you were able to cover them with mulch - but ours were only used for a couple of months. I was shocked they didn't last longer... but these were a rubber type soaker hose - made more like a regular water hose.

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
12:49 PM

Post #7702882

I found the black porous ones last a lot longer and do a better job than the ones that look like a regular water hose and have the little holes in in them. I kept mine in the bed year round and they lasted a long time.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #7703203

The ones I bought years ago held up several years. The ones I have bought in the last five years haven't held up a full season without blowing out somewhere. I would fix that spot with a hose mender and they would blowout somewhere else. These were covered and some uncovered no difference.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America