Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Birds, Critters and Such #8

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1079490/

I thought we would start with a sure sign of Spring...Mommas nesting.

Thumbnail by duckmother
Memphis, TN

These two Bluejays took a brief break from a lively romp through the trees this afternoon.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A young Baltimore Oriole, this is the second one I saw coming to the feeder. Cute bird, but very "macho", it brusts other smaller songbirds off the feeder when it's around. One bossy fella.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I was out with a group touring some gardens today and saw the cutest thing. One garden had a large koi pond with a smaller and more shallow upper "deck" to the pond. There were 8 of us standing around looking at the pond and I looked up and saw this robin. It was sitting perfectly still and very posed and we were just a few feet away so at first I thought it was a realistic piece of garden art. Then he started strutting around not at all bothered that we were all watching. Then he proceeded to take a nice long bath. He was so cute!! Of course I didn't have a camera!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Charlotte, I'm relatively new to birding. Live by the Lake I never gave too much thought about giving my little birds a drink or two. (water I meant), yesterday I saw this Cast Iron Bird bath which I couldn't resist. I hope they will use it some time soon. Those birds with their antics. I just love watching them.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

That is a darling little bird bath. I bet they will use it. I have a concrete bird bath close to my feeders and they do use it. It's fun to watch them bathing.

I never have a camera when I really need one.

Kim, the birdbath is too cute. I am hopeful that I can find one similar but with ducks...of course ;o)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Kim, if I happen on one (with the ducks of course) I be sure to get one just for you. lol.

LOL Great!!! lol

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

As I was headed out for a ballgame these wood ducks were on the bank but swim off as soon as I open the door. Jimbo said while I was gone baby ducks were on the river platform with another female wood duck. That's the way it always happens either no camera or not there to get the picture. It is amazing to watch them swim against the river's current like it is no effort.

Love the nesting duck picture Kim.

Mary I have yet to capture the bluejay they fly off too quick.

Kim Lily that is a nice bath for your birds. I haven't seen an Oriole yet. They usually come to the hummingbird
feeder an tip it sideways.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2010 4:38 AM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Cindy, you do have more variety as far as birds and waterfowls where you are compared to mine. I'll have to look in my nature guide to find out more where I should go to find wood ducks here. I only get to see Mallards and Pekins frequent our area lake. Venture out further in the community I'll find some exotic ducks that belongs to someone back yard (saw them last year). It's so sweet to see the parent ducks huddling around their young. I get to see Canadian Geese with their young here from time to time. I know what you mean by missed opportunity. Since we discovered the Eagle nest locally. I usually equipped with cameras and binoculars in the car often time.

Though these guys, Pekin ducks are wild. People here must have feed them often. They even come to beg fisherman for food. Here they are seen swimming out to a fisherman for a "serious" getting-to-know you. lol

Hey guys. I just saw my first Hummingbird of the season. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

My feeders are out with fresh food but I haven't seen any hummers yet!!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wish I had some of those cedar waxwings too...... maybe eventually...... haven't really seen many birds yet other than robins.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

3 days ago I saw my first hummer. Yesterday I saw it in close up and I think it was a Rubythroated hummer. I was at awe, how beautiful the little thing was. More over, the distance they travelled to get here.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

My DH saw our first hummer this afternoon!! He said he was really thirsty!!

Love the pix, ladies!

Hummers are here and soon the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks will be here!!!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I have seen 3 today.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Great shot, Cindy!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

It was getting a little dark to get pictures

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Kim I gotta figure out something different to take pictures under the porch. Just not enough light on the birds.

Memphis, TN

I particularly like that last one -- so pretty!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Thanks MissMary

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow Cindy, have you got both the female and the male there?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've got to remember, these beautiful Cedar Waxwings are here today. The most beautiful sight anyone likes to wake up to.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Very nice, Kim. They are mighty beautiful birds!!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Nothing new in the way of birds but took some shots yesterday of the Cedar Waxwings enjoying what ever it is they eat out of the locust blooms.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

This yellow rumpted warbler was enjoying the locust blooms too.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

The bees were not to be outdone either

Thumbnail by Riverland
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Cindy, tell me about the locust tree! Wow I love it. Seems like we're seeing the very same kind of birds (this time of year) in the back yard. i.e. the Waxwings and the the 'Butter Butt' (hah, I recently learned that that is the term of endearment for yellow rumped warbler. lol. The waxwings hung around for two days here, but finally left this morning. :((

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Look at that! I had no idea, a Brown Thrasher was seen there while the Cedar Waxwing visited yesterday. They have a nest on a bush to the side yard. I try to give them as much privacy as I could.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Same old birds here. We do have hummers back now but haven't been able to get a shot of them yet. But the bees are definitely back. I saw the pest control truck at my next door neighbors yesterday. I hope he wasn't trying to get rid of the bees!!! One year he had them come out and spray for the bees.

Cindy, spectacular pix! As a matter of fact, I am stealing the pic of the Cedar Waxwing.

Wow, Kim, you have two very lovely birds in your shot. I need to put my thrasher's favorite bath tub outside...it is a water dish for all other birds but he bathes in it ;o)

I hope so, too, Charlotte. Maybe, they need a little education in "the importance of bees." Rent them Bee Movie and they may learn. lol

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh thanks Charlotte for mention that. Talking about pest control...we got the need to control spider around the house and foundation being by the water front. I remember one spring I was so disappointed; as a result of spring (pesticide) application, I saw many a ladybugs got poisoned.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Yes and he has a vegetable garden down at Three Rivers! He did have someone explain the importance of bees to him. I think he still doesn't like them in his yard. They are just those harmless big bees. I've never had one sting me! They like to get in the ivy on the fence between out house.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Great photos, everyone! I will have to keep an eye out for the Cedar Waxwings--such a pretty bird! I saw my first hummer yesterday but I know he or she must have been here sooner because the nectar was really low in the feeder and I just put it out on Monday. As Charlotte said, they are really hungry after their long flight!

I caught a picture of this robin on the fence this morning. Like the sign says, he must have been rejoicing because of all the worms in my garden! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Cute picture Marilyn! I have robins all over the yard. They seem to be finding lots of worms and stuff on the ground. They have gotten so used to me and the dogs they don't even fly away when we go out - they just keep on eating. They're not about to give up that good food!!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Kim The locust is a damp area thorny weed tree. The wood is extremely hard. I believe they make fence post out of them.

Black Locust:

Robinia pseudoacacia
Why You Should Not Plant Black Locust!:
Black locust is not recommended for planting in your yard. The tree is a prolific sprouter as well as a free seeder. The tree is considered a thorny weed tree by many horticulturists and has escaped cultivation to invade pastures and prairies. It is considered an invasive species.
Robinia pseudoacacia is susceptible to locust borer. This insect damage can lead to damaged fences, roofs and automobiles and will lead to the tree's early death.
Redeeming Features:

*Black locust is one of the most beautiful, fastest growing and hardy trees in the landscape.
*Black locust establishes quickly on infertile soil.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I thought this was a common crow when I took the picture but now I don't know what it is with the yellow eye.
It was bigger than a cowbird.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Kim thanks for stealing my pic. I can't get a good picture of the hummers either

Thumbnail by Riverland
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Cindy for the info. on the Black Locust. When I visit out West. There they use thornless yellow locust quite alot for ornamental trees. Like you, I am not very keen on separating the crows and the grackles, so we have to wait for Kim helping us to sort 'em out.

Marilyn, I love that sign you've hung on the fence. Very nice and affirmative. On the Cedar Waxwings, I'm so happy to find those birds hanging around my backyard the last 3 days. I can see some of them came so close to the feeder, but they appear to be more intuned in catching insects in mid air? I need to study more about their culture.

My Jelly Bean strolling in the garden and is oblivious to the pretty Brown Thrasher looking pretty on the clematis trellis. These birds (brown thrashers) I've noticed, like Robins and Northern Flickers, they forage on the ground alot. I caught them picking up earth worms a time or two.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.