Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Mid-South Gardening: Birds, Critters and Such #8

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 197, Views: 882
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #7691915

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1079490/

I thought we would start with a sure sign of Spring...Mommas nesting.

Thumbnail by duckmother
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 9, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #7693122

These two Bluejays took a brief break from a lively romp through the trees this afternoon.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7693182

A young Baltimore Oriole, this is the second one I saw coming to the feeder. Cute bird, but very "macho", it brusts other smaller songbirds off the feeder when it's around. One bossy fella.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7693235

I was out with a group touring some gardens today and saw the cutest thing. One garden had a large koi pond with a smaller and more shallow upper "deck" to the pond. There were 8 of us standing around looking at the pond and I looked up and saw this robin. It was sitting perfectly still and very posed and we were just a few feet away so at first I thought it was a realistic piece of garden art. Then he started strutting around not at all bothered that we were all watching. Then he proceeded to take a nice long bath. He was so cute!! Of course I didn't have a camera!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #7693282

Charlotte, I'm relatively new to birding. Live by the Lake I never gave too much thought about giving my little birds a drink or two. (water I meant), yesterday I saw this Cast Iron Bird bath which I couldn't resist. I hope they will use it some time soon. Those birds with their antics. I just love watching them.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7693294

That is a darling little bird bath. I bet they will use it. I have a concrete bird bath close to my feeders and they do use it. It's fun to watch them bathing.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7693315

I never have a camera when I really need one.

Kim, the birdbath is too cute. I am hopeful that I can find one similar but with ducks...of course ;o)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7693323

Kim, if I happen on one (with the ducks of course) I be sure to get one just for you. lol.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7693348

LOL Great!!! lol
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2010
2:36 AM

Post #7693752

As I was headed out for a ballgame these wood ducks were on the bank but swim off as soon as I open the door. Jimbo said while I was gone baby ducks were on the river platform with another female wood duck. That's the way it always happens either no camera or not there to get the picture. It is amazing to watch them swim against the river's current like it is no effort.

Love the nesting duck picture Kim.

Mary I have yet to capture the bluejay they fly off too quick.

Kim Lily that is a nice bath for your birds. I haven't seen an Oriole yet. They usually come to the hummingbird
feeder an tip it sideways.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2010 4:38 AM

Thumbnail by Riverland

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2010
4:54 AM

Post #7693869

Cindy, you do have more variety as far as birds and waterfowls where you are compared to mine. I'll have to look in my nature guide to find out more where I should go to find wood ducks here. I only get to see Mallards and Pekins frequent our area lake. Venture out further in the community I'll find some exotic ducks that belongs to someone back yard (saw them last year). It's so sweet to see the parent ducks huddling around their young. I get to see Canadian Geese with their young here from time to time. I know what you mean by missed opportunity. Since we discovered the Eagle nest locally. I usually equipped with cameras and binoculars in the car often time.

Though these guys, Pekin ducks are wild. People here must have feed them often. They even come to beg fisherman for food. Here they are seen swimming out to a fisherman for a "serious" getting-to-know you. lol

Hey guys. I just saw my first Hummingbird of the season. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #7693931

My feeders are out with fresh food but I haven't seen any hummers yet!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 13, 2010
11:45 AM

Post #7702725

Wish I had some of those cedar waxwings too... maybe eventually... haven't really seen many birds yet other than robins.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #7702739

3 days ago I saw my first hummer. Yesterday I saw it in close up and I think it was a Rubythroated hummer. I was at awe, how beautiful the little thing was. More over, the distance they travelled to get here.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7703328

My DH saw our first hummer this afternoon!! He said he was really thirsty!!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #7703338

Love the pix, ladies!

Hummers are here and soon the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks will be here!!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7703817

I have seen 3 today.

Thumbnail by Riverland

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7703821

Great shot, Cindy!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7703828

It was getting a little dark to get pictures

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7703833

Thanks Kim I gotta figure out something different to take pictures under the porch. Just not enough light on the birds.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 13, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7703846

I particularly like that last one -- so pretty!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7703895

Thanks MissMary

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7704476

Wow Cindy, have you got both the female and the male there?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7704755

I've got to remember, these beautiful Cedar Waxwings are here today. The most beautiful sight anyone likes to wake up to.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #7704764

Very nice, Kim. They are mighty beautiful birds!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2010
4:59 AM

Post #7709427

Nothing new in the way of birds but took some shots yesterday of the Cedar Waxwings enjoying what ever it is they eat out of the locust blooms.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #7709431

This yellow rumpted warbler was enjoying the locust blooms too.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2010
5:01 AM

Post #7709435

The bees were not to be outdone either

Thumbnail by Riverland

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
5:33 AM

Post #7709499

Cindy, tell me about the locust tree! Wow I love it. Seems like we're seeing the very same kind of birds (this time of year) in the back yard. i.e. the Waxwings and the the 'Butter Butt' (hah, I recently learned that that is the term of endearment for yellow rumped warbler. lol. The waxwings hung around for two days here, but finally left this morning. :((

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
5:36 AM

Post #7709504

Look at that! I had no idea, a Brown Thrasher was seen there while the Cedar Waxwing visited yesterday. They have a nest on a bush to the side yard. I try to give them as much privacy as I could.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #7709533

Same old birds here. We do have hummers back now but haven't been able to get a shot of them yet. But the bees are definitely back. I saw the pest control truck at my next door neighbors yesterday. I hope he wasn't trying to get rid of the bees!!! One year he had them come out and spray for the bees.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
6:06 AM

Post #7709560

Cindy, spectacular pix! As a matter of fact, I am stealing the pic of the Cedar Waxwing.

Wow, Kim, you have two very lovely birds in your shot. I need to put my thrasher's favorite bath tub outside...it is a water dish for all other birds but he bathes in it ;o)

I hope so, too, Charlotte. Maybe, they need a little education in "the importance of bees." Rent them Bee Movie and they may learn. lol

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #7709564

Oh thanks Charlotte for mention that. Talking about pest control...we got the need to control spider around the house and foundation being by the water front. I remember one spring I was so disappointed; as a result of spring (pesticide) application, I saw many a ladybugs got poisoned.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #7709574

Yes and he has a vegetable garden down at Three Rivers! He did have someone explain the importance of bees to him. I think he still doesn't like them in his yard. They are just those harmless big bees. I've never had one sting me! They like to get in the ivy on the fence between out house.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7709582

Great photos, everyone! I will have to keep an eye out for the Cedar Waxwings--such a pretty bird! I saw my first hummer yesterday but I know he or she must have been here sooner because the nectar was really low in the feeder and I just put it out on Monday. As Charlotte said, they are really hungry after their long flight!

I caught a picture of this robin on the fence this morning. Like the sign says, he must have been rejoicing because of all the worms in my garden! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #7709591

Cute picture Marilyn! I have robins all over the yard. They seem to be finding lots of worms and stuff on the ground. They have gotten so used to me and the dogs they don't even fly away when we go out - they just keep on eating. They're not about to give up that good food!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7709672

Kim The locust is a damp area thorny weed tree. The wood is extremely hard. I believe they make fence post out of them.

Black Locust:

Robinia pseudoacacia
Why You Should Not Plant Black Locust!:
Black locust is not recommended for planting in your yard. The tree is a prolific sprouter as well as a free seeder. The tree is considered a thorny weed tree by many horticulturists and has escaped cultivation to invade pastures and prairies. It is considered an invasive species.
Robinia pseudoacacia is susceptible to locust borer. This insect damage can lead to damaged fences, roofs and automobiles and will lead to the tree's early death.
Redeeming Features:

*Black locust is one of the most beautiful, fastest growing and hardy trees in the landscape.
*Black locust establishes quickly on infertile soil.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #7709695

I thought this was a common crow when I took the picture but now I don't know what it is with the yellow eye.
It was bigger than a cowbird.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #7709713

Kim thanks for stealing my pic. I can't get a good picture of the hummers either

Thumbnail by Riverland

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #7709772

Thanks Cindy for the info. on the Black Locust. When I visit out West. There they use thornless yellow locust quite alot for ornamental trees. Like you, I am not very keen on separating the crows and the grackles, so we have to wait for Kim helping us to sort 'em out.

Marilyn, I love that sign you've hung on the fence. Very nice and affirmative. On the Cedar Waxwings, I'm so happy to find those birds hanging around my backyard the last 3 days. I can see some of them came so close to the feeder, but they appear to be more intuned in catching insects in mid air? I need to study more about their culture.

My Jelly Bean strolling in the garden and is oblivious to the pretty Brown Thrasher looking pretty on the clematis trellis. These birds (brown thrashers) I've noticed, like Robins and Northern Flickers, they forage on the ground alot. I caught them picking up earth worms a time or two.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #7710755

Cindy, you spotted a female grackle. I think your hummer shots are very nice.

One of the few pix I have of a Cedar Waxwing...

Thumbnail by duckmother

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #7711318

Thank you Kim It is hard to get a good picture of them if you can't get above the tree. That is one good thing about having the locust trees below the high bank. The problem lies in getting a head shot. I take 30 pictures to get one where the head is showing now that the leaves are on the trees. No time for birding today did garden chores instead. Never looks like I make a dent in it but I guess before long something will look nicer.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 16, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7711330

Are you feeling better now Cindy ?

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 16, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7711334

All the critters are enjoying the return of Spring...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7711378

Very little birding today for me too Cindy. What little bit helps; this is just a small area that looks pretty decent in my front yard. There are so much more to be worked on as it. MissMary. Yes, all the critters are very happy. Beautiful time of year. Kim those CWs are pretty active. They don't sit around too long for any picture session. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #7711396

Thanks Sandra I am. I went to the rhumey and he put several shots in my back to stop the nerve pain. I am not sure he got deep enough because it did not hurt as bad as it should have .LOL It is better though. The bug has passed too just a little weaker than normal. I've got more probs than Carter has a pill for. My right hand keeps swelling if I use it very much trapping the nerves in my wrist. Same hand I already had surgery on. That kinda limits my weed pulling or much shoveling..

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 16, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #7711454

Glad the bug is passing by, maybe the shot will make more difference in a few days.
See you soon !!!!!!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #7711634

Kim this is a better picture of the cedar waxwing unless you just wanted the face

Thumbnail by Riverland

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7711644

Ha...I stole that one, too ;o))

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 16, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #7711716

I've never seen one of those around here but would love to! They look so ... Photoshopped!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2010
12:39 AM

Post #7711882

Don't know how to use photoshop so that is the real deal.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #7712095

MissMary, when comes to photography. Cindy is a natural. Cindy, I'm currious though, how did you leave out the copyright embloom on the photo above?
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
6:43 AM

Post #7712272

Cindy can tell you better...but you can turn off that feature.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 17, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #7712299

The picture doesn't look "Photoshopped" -- the actual bird does. Cedar Waxwings have a bit of an other-worldly look about them. I sure hope to spot some here one day!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #7712374

Oh, thanks Kim. I know what you meant about the Waxwings MissMary. They do have that "mysterious" look about them. The word Photoshop using interchangeably with photogenic. :-)

They're back, CW for the 4th day in a row. I'm counting my blessings!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2010
8:55 AM

Post #7712538

Kim you can turn it off in your preferences but I did it so long ago I can't tell you where.

Miss Mary It's all that dramatic eye makeup they wear that makes them look like they have been altered.

I wish I did know how to use photoshop. I keep saying I am going to take a class at the University here. It would simplify what I use three programs to do.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2010
8:57 AM

Post #7712540

These two fought even in the trees. I took pictures of them in the trees but It was not very good

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #7712541

Last one

Thumbnail by Riverland

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #7712643

Congrats Cindy on those hummer's shots. I've yet to capture one (picture) of them. But seems as if they're here to stay for awhile. Here is an Osprey DH and I saw while taking our break --for a boat ride-- from working on the garden today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 17, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #7713465

I bet I took 30 pictures before getting one even this good. This Thrasher is my morning and afternoon crooner. I love to go out and just listen. It will sing for long periods of time and its voice is loud and strong.

It's a fast mover, though, and I haven't been able to catch many decent shots of it.

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7713759

I have never seen that bird. Beautiful. You know I used to take pictures a lot when we had film. I even developed black and white. I would get so frustrated that out of a 36 roll of film I might have one good shot. A professional once laughed at me and said they considered themselves lucky it they got one good shot out of 200. So with digital just fire away you never know what you will catch.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 17, 2010
8:37 PM

Post #7714156

I added a couple of whimsical bird figures to one of my beds today. This Robin seemed a bit puzzled as it happened upon one of them. I needed a laugh!

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #7714237

That's cute

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #7714680

That is cute - brought a smile to my face!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2010
5:53 AM

Post #7714717

Missmary, that's a neat idea! I smiled too when I saw that Robin being be-puzzled!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 21, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #7725275

Hope this one isn't too grainy or blurred. I was looking out a window a few feet from me today when I snapped this.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7725350

MissMary, that turns out very nice. Looks as if your Blue Jay is watching the Dove's every move. :-)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7726629

wow, Miss Mary! a "twofer"! LOL

This is my latest pic of a backyard "critter" lounging on the porch swing.

Thumbnail by marsue

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7726679

Hi Marilyn, Friday is so lovable! Glad to see you posting.

I haven't seen these Egrets over the winter, then not too long ago I began to spot them here and there. Beautiful birds.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 22, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #7726713

Marsue, you'd better keep a close eye on that critter -- looks like it's there to stay! ; - ))

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2010
8:36 AM

Post #7726994

tehehehehe, you are absolutely right! LOL.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 22, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #7727202

Well, a glance out the door this morning proved to be quite exciting for me. I saw a bird I'd never seen here before and it is so pretty. From looking at pictures on the Internet, I assume it is a male Indigo Bunting. When I saw pictures of the female, I wondered if I'd been seeing them before and just thinking they were Sparrows. I'd like to know the best way to tell the difference between the female House Sparrow and the female Indigo Bunting. Can you help me?

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #7727293

I'll be keeping a close eye on Friday, for sure! LOL!

Mary, maybe this link will help you on the house sparrow/bunting ID.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/House_Sparrow/id

or this one:

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Indigo_Bunting/id

This message was edited Apr 22, 2010 12:13 PM

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 22, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #7727542

Marsue, thanks for the links but, to my untrained eye, the females of those two species look too much alike. I consulted other images as well but can't seem to draw a line that would help me differentiate between them. I wonder if there's some telltale, no-miss characteristic that I could be on the lookout for in one or the other.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2010
12:01 PM

Post #7727604

I'm sorry, Mary, but I can't be of any help to you in that regard. My eye is untrained, too! LOL

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2010
12:07 PM

Post #7727617

I'm in the same boat with Marsue. Kim, could you help us please.

I saw a large black bird swoop down on the water surface and caught a fish. This is the second time I see this (first time I didn't have my glasses on I thought to myself; geez that's new to me-- a blackbird with a white head, but actually it was a fish that it was carrying, lol. Anyone ever seen grackles fishing like so?
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2010
12:25 PM

Post #7727640

That sounds more like something a hawk would do but our bird expert, duckmother, will have to tell us. :o))

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2010
12:50 PM

Post #7727691

Have I shared the story of the feisty Redheads? Redheaded Woodpeckers I meant. Introducing Lord Byron and his Missus. (Please don't ask me which is which -- male and female are similiar in this species). They're very entertaining. This is the second year they nest nearby. All through the winter, they stayed around their nest and defended their home against intruders such as crows and squirrels ect. Never once they came by to check out the grain feeder. But this past week, they have returned (as they did last year when they raised their youngs). Last spring, they brought their fledglings to the feeder too, when the "kids" were big enough to venture out to the world. Cute, cute family.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 22, 2010
12:57 PM

Post #7727709

How absolutely adorable!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7727965

Let me answer the easiest question with a question ;o) Kim, are you certain the bird was black and not blue? How big was the fish? How big was the bird?

Female buntings are more buff in color with a slight yellow tinge (tawny). Her bill is brown on top with a lighter mandible (lower bill). Her wing feathers are a light brown (no streaks) with blue edging (not easy to see). No eye line.

Females House Sparrows are brown with grayish underside. Her bill is brown-black on top with a yellowish mandible. Her wing feathers brown with dark brown streaks. There is an eye line.

Buntings are usually slightly smaller than sparrows.

The best way to tell the difference between the male and female red-headed woodpecker...the female lays eggs. LOL

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 22, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #7727984

Thank you. I've been seeing pictures on the internet of female Buntings that have streaked wings like Sparrows and it made them look so much alike. I'll be on the lookout for something a little different at my feeder now.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7728235

Kim, from a distance of 40 feet or more, the bird appeared black. It's roughly the size of a ?crow? larger than Kestrel but smaller than an adult Redshoulder Hawk. It's black. The fish was about the size of my thumb (quite small). I believe, at one time or the other. I saw the same (size) bird perched on the tall tree while it was eating its catch.

Very good info. on the difference b/w the bunting and other birds. I've yet seen a bunting so I still have a mile stone to go. Thanks Kim for the info. all the same.
Kim2
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #7728319

This bird http://www.birdweb.org/birdweb/bird_details.aspx?id=36

Or perhaps this birds http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Green_Heron/lifehistory
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7728381

Great photo, Kim, of the woodpeckers! What a fortunate capture for you! (in the photo).

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7728466

Kim, I almost convinced that was a crow that I saw. I'm going to try to get a photo of that bird one of these days. lol.

Marilyn. Those Redheaded they're very social among themselves. There were 3 of them that came by one day. All adults. So I'm looking out for the juveniles when they're big enough to come around. Have a good night all. Back tomorrow.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2010

Post #7728654

Okay, then this is the bird you saw http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Fish_Crow/id
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 22, 2010

Post #7728662

Lily_love, did the bird you saw catch the fish with its claws or in its beak?
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7728679

Hi Mags, did you read your dmail? I got a big chuckle out of yours! A lot of us are going plant shopping tomorrow and Saturday. Too bad you don't live closer...like one continent over ;o))

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7728687

Boys, my eyesight isn't 20/20. lol, moi don't know Margaret. But I had a gut feeling that it was its beak? For it carries the fish off with its beak (thus the first time I saw it flewn by with that shiny silvery fish I mistook as...black bird with a white head?).
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7728690

Kim, did you look at the fish crow that I posted above? It could be partial albinism, if you saw a white head.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2010 9:19 PM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7728716

That's IT . Kimmie! You did it again. lol.lol. I listened to the voice from the website. Sure enough I've heard that "caw caw caw" call time and time before. Thank Kim. Margaret glad you've stopped by to visit.

Oh Kim, you're just now planning on going to the nursery? I myself, I've wiped out the Botanical Garden's plant sales, raided Lowes, Wally Worlds, my nearest favorite nursery and even adopted some Iris from neighbor. Then joined neighbors for a veggie garden project. There. Boys, ain't I hurting now. Just kidding.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7728723

Yes, it was the fish-crow. Kim I googled the fish crow, but I didn't come up with anything before. Thank for helping me out. No it wasn't an albino. I'm nearsighted, and didn't have glasses on when I mistaken the fish for a white head. lol.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7728732

LOL No, Kathy Ann and I are going to Mississippi, then to Memphis and on to Jackson, TN. tomorrow. We will be meeting up with others from Mid-South...that is if the weather is good enough for them. But we are going no matter what ;o)

I am glad that we figured out the bird. Now you will recognize it the next time you see it!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 22, 2010
10:52 PM

Post #7729123

Kim, I did get the dmail. Yes it is a pity that the two continents are so far apart. Not only far apart, but I'm at the farthest point that it would be possible to be away from where you are. One day.

Lili_love, glad Kim was able to sort out your fish-eating bird.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #7729626

Now the puzzle is solved; wondering why these birds hang out by the pier? ^_^ Thanks again Kim. Margaret, would you care to share some of your backyard birds and critters with us Midsouth? That would be a treat. Thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 23, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #7730069

Hello Margaret... I have a niece and family that just moved to Perth!! She is definitely a LONG way away!!

Genna

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7731327

Wow, Genna, is your niece on a job assignment? That sure is a long way from home. But, I'd be gladly to trade place with her. lol

Some Black Vultures were seen with a Turkey Vulture along the bank on our boat ride this afternoon.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #7731338

Turkey Vulture stood not to far from the two other Black Vultures.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 23, 2010
8:25 PM

Post #7731502

Her husband took a new position with his company and relocated there. Both of them were born and raised here in Arkansas - and my sister is having a HARD time adjusting to them being gone...especially the grandkids!! But, my niece and her family are really enjoying it there. They moved the 6th of February... it will be a minimum of 5 years before they move back, but personally I don't look for them to EVER move back to South Arkansas.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 23, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #7731514

Thanks for the welcome, Lily_love. I won't bombard your thread with critters from Downunder - I don't really have all that many photos of them, anyway. However, saying that, here's a few shots of kangaroos I took many months ago. Nice vultures.

Hello, Genna. What part of Perth has your niece moved to? I hope she's loving it.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 23, 2010
8:32 PM

Post #7731518

Here's looking at you, kid.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 23, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #7731519

Having a doze in the early afternoon sun.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 23, 2010

Post #7731526

I am not sure since we send her mail to their office in Houston and they forward it to them... I know they are close to the beach but I am not sure that narrows it down much. :) They are LOVING it down there ... not sure they will ever want to return home. They are going to Hong Kong next month to meet some relatives of her husband - they are meeting them in HK and touring the area. My nephew (technically my niece's husband) works some in Malaysia, some in Hong Kong... I believe he has 5 different offices that he has to report to on occasion but I can't remember where they all are!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 23, 2010
9:49 PM

Post #7731810

MargaretK, how often does one see a kangaroo where you are? I have squirrels and rabbits that freely come and go in my yard. I can't imagine opening my back door in the morning and seeing one of those before my first cup of coffee...!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 23, 2010
9:59 PM

Post #7731834

HMM, there are no kangaroos in the area around where I live. In some of the more outlying areas of the metropolitan area they can be seen regularly. I took the top and bottom shot at an island right near the city where a mob of them live. The area these ones are contained in would be probably about 40-50 acres (I'm really not sure but it's a fair size). During the day the gate is unlocked and the public can freely access the area. They're pretty amazing creatures. As soon as you leave the metropolitan area, kangaroos can frequently be seen. Driving in country areas during the night and at dawn and dusk are particularly hazardous as this is when they're active and are prone to jump out into the road. You see lots of the poor things as roadkill.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 24, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #7732377

Well, my computer shut down last night in the storm - and we had cross posted on your last two pictures ... they are adorable. I have heard they can be mean - but they sure look cute! Maybe someday since she is living down there I will be able to visit australia, but at the price of airline tickets down there it won't be anytime soon!

I guess the roos are similar to the deer we have in this area who are pretty to look at but do a lot of damage to vehicles as they are often active at night and run out in front of you while driving.

Genna
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 24, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #7733675

Yes, Genna, the roos do a fair bit of damage to vehicles, but not as much as the damage vehicles cause them. Male kangaroos in particular can become aggressive at times and use their tail as a prop and will try to disembowel with their middle toes on the hind legs. The ones I photographed here were only a few feet from me and as you can see, they were pretty laid back. It would be wonderful if you could visit.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 24, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7734107

A Dove got caught in one of our downpours today without its umbrella. It sought refuge on my porch until the storm passed.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2010
6:01 AM

Post #7735046

Cute pic. of the dove MissMary, thanks Margaret for sharing the Roos pics. with us. Genna it sounds nice that your Niece get to travel. How exciting!

Great Blue Heron fishing in knee deep water.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 25, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #7735050

Lily_love, that's a very good capture! Why is it called the "Great Blue Heron?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7735068

MissMary, I surmised that is because this Heron is a larger species compared to other types of Herons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blue_Heron
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #7735103

He is actually a slate blue. You cannot tell it by the wikipedia pix...but this one you can ;o)

Thumbnail by duckmother

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 25, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #7735133

Ahh, I see it now. I thought it was going to be another situation like the Red Spotted Purple -- you know, the black and blue butterfly with three orange dots on its wings...

Glad to find it's not a misnomer like that.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7735144

Kim, that's a nice capture of the GBH. I see the blue!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7735533

LOL Yes, Miss, you are right.

Thanks, Kim, I took several pictures of him and I think he was sick of it and flew away ;o)

When I first spotted him...

Thumbnail by duckmother

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 25, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #7736209

I'm hoping one of you can shed a little light on something for me. There have been some serious Robin fights on my patio lately. Today, I was nearly hit by two of them brawling as they descended from a rooftop. It was the one in this picture (in fact moments after I caught the shot) and another one. This one arrived at the nest with a big worm and the other one attacked it. The Robin in this picture hopped across the patio, worm in beak, while the other one took to the nest.

Any clue as to what's going on with them? Seems a bit strange to me.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 26, 2010
9:32 AM

Post #7738697

The fights are still on today. In the top photo, you can see the mother bird (I'm assuming), who has been sitting on the nest. She had just gotten up and taken this position when I caught this shot. A few moments later, the other bird (bottom photo) arrived on the scene and she swooped down upon it, chasing it all around the yard.

Would these two be a male and a female or two females? Why do they appear to be vying for the same nest?

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #7742037

I cannot tell for certain if they are both male or female or one of each...but my best guess is they are sparring over territory. One may have a nest fairly close to other and this does not set well with either ;o)

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 27, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #7742608

I have seen one of them on this nest and then the other one makes a surprise attack on the "sitter". The original sitter is shooed away and the attacker takes over sitting on the nest. They have showed up at the nest at the same time, each with a worm. They fight but neither lets go of its worm. The winner feeds the babies.

Maybe I should dig up a little worm bed for them and sprinkle some Prozac on it...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
12:52 PM

Post #7742631

Wait, wait, don't we usually wait 'til the FDA approve such proposal? LOL MissMary. So you're saying there must be a sorrogate mother, and a biological mother fighting over the chicks? From another perspective; those little wee bit juvenile Robins will be up and running in no time with all the tender love and affection showered by both mother-hens. lol.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
12:57 PM

Post #7742642

Various birds at the feeder. Redheaded Woodpecker, Chickadee and a Northern male Cardinal. The smaller birds will gladly give room for the bigger fella at the dinning table. They will return once the other had his share.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
1:00 PM

Post #7742643

Correction: instead of an image of a chickadee, I think it's a male HouseFinch. (shown above).
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7743013

Well, I had a new visitor this afternoon...an Orchard Oriole! I grabbed camera but they are way too fuzzy. I hope it returns!

Here is a good picture of one...

Thumbnail by duckmother

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7743700

Loving the pictures. Kim I haven't seen an oriole yet but have had no time for birding. Usually one shows up on the hummingbird feeders.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 27, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #7743968

Here we go again...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 27, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #7743970

Ahhh...the loser!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #7744687

Boys MissMary, I'd love to be able to watch the duo's antics. Kim can you tell of their gender and help explaining their behavior? Thank you MM for sharing the pic. with us.

Cindy, have you different kind of Orioles visiting there where you're? Only one type have I seen here, the Baltimore Orioles. Kim, the Orchard Oriole is beautiful.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
6:34 AM

Post #7744760

I am not really certain. The picture looks like two females (I could be wrong) and are both trying to feed the babes. However, the male and female will both feed the new kiddies and when one shows up the other usually leaves. On occasion, the male and female will sort of "wrangle" with each other, which is normal bonding. If two females ever care for a nest, I have not seen it but it may be fairly common. I have not ever heard of a last year's chick helping raise this years or anything like that. I have heard and seen a female start feeding a chick that is not being fed by its parents. Maybe, this mother lost her chicks and/or nest and wants to take over this nest. Miss, you may want to ask the folks on the birdwatching forum. I bet they would know the answer!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010

Post #7744840

Thanks Kim, yesterday I set up a buffet for the birds since I saw a Housefinch at the bird bath taking a drink. Guess who arrived at the dinning table first. lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
4:05 PM

Post #7746250

LOL No surprise there. Did your house finch return?

My mulberries are about ripe and then I will have 100s of Cedar Waxwings. I hope I can get a decent photo.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #7746353

Once 'Percy' (the squirrel) and his mate were full. Others can then line up at the bird bath and seeds platform feeder. Yes Kim, they invite the Cardinals too.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 28, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #7746792

Lily_love, that's a charming shot.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #7747145

I love the duck bowl...I may have to drive over and swipe it from your yard ;o)
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010

Post #7747179

Here is one of the 4 baby bunnies...you have to look for the ears. The other 3 are underneath him. They all left the nest two days ago. We watched them leave. Mom sat there patiently and slowly but surely all 4 came hopping out. So much fun to see those little ones hopping around after momma...

Thumbnail by duckmother

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #7747679

Kim I understand the Cedar Waxwings love those Oregon grape holly's berries as well (beside the mulberries). I've but one of those and the 'grapes' are not quite ripe yet. On the week of April 10th, or 14th they came in drove (into the garden), and hang around the area in the neighborhood for a solid week. Whatever we've here that attracted them. I'm all for it. It sure was a pleasant experience.

^_^ come to think of it, yes it's a duck bowl isn't it? First I thought those were birds, but it's actually ducks. Comon over my friend, we can go ducking, errr I meant birding together. lol.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7747798

Kim, Ducky , and Mary please keep them coming. I can't bird right now but really enjoy your pictures.
Lily Kim no I don't get that beautiful Oriole that Kim had. I just get the Baltimore to my knowledge. Of course last year I would have told you I didn't have many of these birds because I wasn't really looking.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7747866

I'm like Cindy I'm looking at your posts but I don't have time to do any birding myself right now. Got too many things going on right now but I love your pictures and I'm still learning!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #7747877

Cindy, I'm relatively new to bird watching. It's a wonderful, peaceful experience when you can just let yourself go and enjoy what nature has to offer. It's a marvelous world. It's all Kim's (duckmother) fault I got into it. Just kidding there Kim. (Good friends are good influences).

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010

Post #7747892

I understand when time is a factor. Charlotte. Spring fever is running high here too. How is your gardening project coming along?
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
8:19 AM

Post #7748145

I am glad y'all are enjoying all of the birds...the ones you already knew and the new ones you have spotted. Now, if I could just get everyone around here interested! Oh well, one person at a time ;o))

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
8:56 AM

Post #7748287

...One at a time! I do like the idea. ^_^
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #7753935

Well, these are not nearly as good as Cindy's but you can tell what they are ;o)

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
7:50 AM

Post #7753945

I got 10 of them in this one...

Thumbnail by duckmother

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #7754032

Good for you. They are so pretty.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #7754127

I hope y'all like this series of pix...When I first spotted her...

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
8:45 AM

Post #7754129

What she did next...

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
8:49 AM

Post #7754138

And then...I guess she does not realize the suet is for the birds ;o)

Thumbnail by duckmother

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
9:24 AM

Post #7754213

It's it amazing what those little critters can do!!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #7754721

They're quite entertaining! Kim. I've two visitors to the back yard this evening. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7755093

How nice, Kim.

Well, I have had at least 300 Cedar Waxwings in the backyard today. They have been in 7 trees and each tree has around 50 birds! They have been so loud that I can hear them in the house!

Of course, I have pictures ;o)

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #7755094

Same bird looking at me...

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #7755095

I caught this one in flight...look at the end of its tail...stunning!

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7755096

Last one...

Thumbnail by duckmother

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
5:47 PM

Post #7755447

Those are great pictures of the CW Kim. Mulberry and Cedar Waxwings = beautiful mix. :-)
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7755607

Great pictures Kim

yours too Lily Kim

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #7755695

Those are great pictures! I still haven't seen any
!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7755718

Charlotte, this is my second year seeing these Cedar Waxwings. Usually they travel in flock. First time I saw them this year was in early March. I couldn't tell what they were until I snapped a couple pix from a distance, and I was so happy to discovered I lucked into a flock of them perching on tree tops. It was easier to spot them when the trees haven't leaved out yet. Now, all the leaves are out, it's more challenging to spot them. Kim was really keen on finding them under tree canopy. Thanks Cindy. We seem to get a good birding year this year.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7755730

I need to start looking up more rather than always looking down this time of year concentrating on plants!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7755747

It's beautiful time of year, I too finding it hard not to work in the garden. Here is some current blooms on American wisteria 'Emithyst Falls'. How did your wisteria turn out when they in full blooms?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #7755754

Very pretty wisteria. I have not been real pleased with mine. I still may end up buying another wisteria. I saw one at Homestead last weekend and was tempted to get it. I may end up getting another one at Forest Hill if they have one.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #7755785

I know it's tempting. It's a great pain to rid of them once they are established. This one I've it in a large plastic pot. But the roots have escaped and it will eventually strangle the tree it is climbing on. The blooms are attractive, but they last but for a little while. Sigh!

G'nite all. 'til we meet again. Happy gardening, birding or just happy doing whatever we do. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
12:23 PM

Post #7757381

Thanks for the kind comments.

Today's pix...Wood Thrush

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
12:25 PM

Post #7757385

Eurasian Collared Dove...

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #7757387

Brown-headed Cowbird Female...

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #7757391

Can't leave out a Cedar Waxwing ;o)

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #7757393

Robin with mulberry...

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
12:30 PM

Post #7757397

And the bird that I have been waiting for...a Male Rose-breasted Grosbeak...

Thumbnail by duckmother

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #7757434

Kim, how big is the mulbery tree? I can see it's a hit for manyabirds! wow. I saw a Rose Breasted Grosbeak for the first time last year ever. I was so excited then. I reckon I'll be just as excited to see them again...but so far no sight of them yet. Not sure I can recognize a Wood Thrush yet. And the Urasian Collard dove is so pretty.

Brown Headed Nuthatch. A cute tiny tinsy little bird. It's very people friendly like that of chickadees, it chirps joyfully especially when I refill the feeder as if to say. "About time...thanks". lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #7757846

I would guess the mulberries are 30 feet tall. We have 2 a white and a red. The birds don't touch the white but as you can see, love the red. Our neighbor next door, has a red one, too. So we have lots of birds here at the moment! We also had Orchard Orioles and Baltimore Orioles eating the berries this morning, but they would not sit still long enough for me to get a decent picture. Our trees are almost at the end of the property. We have been told they will spread with ease but we would not know for certain because of where they are located.

We don't see very many brown-headed nuthatches...but we have lots of white-breasted nuthatches. They do have a lovely song. I can pick it out when all of the birds are singing. Nice picture.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 2, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #7758190

Two Doves atop my arbor kept an eye on me but allowed me to come very close to take pictures.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 2, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7758273

Here's a critter I found in my Lily bed today. Anyone know what kind of spider it is?

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010

Post #7758571

Cute doves! I don't know the name of the spider other than green spider ;o) but it is a garden spider which is a good friend to have.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7758585

HMM, is the rain tapper off where you're? That bad weather is heading down my way. (pc will be off soon). The detail on the spider is awesome! The doves are pretty doves.

Kim, I've a weeping mulberry tree. It's grafted and sterile. (It doesn't produce fruits). I'm now wishing it would be fertile. lol.

I'm going to shut the 'puter off for the duration. Catch up with everyone later once the storm passed. 'Til we meet again. Take good care everyone.
Kim2
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
7:52 PM

Post #7758682

Stay safe, Kim. Those storms have been nasty all around!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #7758939

Kim your pictures were really good. Do you have any idea what this bird is. I believe it was feeding on grasshoppers. It was very far away

Edited to add I think this is a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher It was really fun watching it swoop down after the tractor would make a pass to get food.

This message was edited May 3, 2010 8:02 AM

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2010
10:01 PM

Post #7758940

This were out to play today

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2010
10:02 PM

Post #7758944

I had my 7 year old Grandson Luke out taking pictures today. He took this picture

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2010
10:04 PM

Post #7758949

This is some type moth. the butterflies were too quick and small to get a focus today

Thumbnail by Riverland

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 3, 2010
7:28 AM

Post #7759757

We have those scissor tail flycatchers too - I think they are so pretty!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #7759799

Cindy, nice pictures! Luke did a great job as well. How old is Luke? Oh BTW, hold the Scissor Tailed Gnatcatcher. I'm coming to La. to see them. lol.

We're fortunate, the storm got here during the night and passed by daybreak. Lots of rain, the garden appears 'greener' this morning.

Kim, I suspect this maybe a Brown Thrasher juvie. There were 3 of them out this morning, the other two appear to be bigger than this 3rd one.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
9:38 AM

Post #7760145

Yes, it is a lovely scissor-tail! Kim, you most likely have these beauties, too.

Yes, I believe it is a Brown Thrasher...no eye ring.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
10:33 AM

Post #7760313

Kim, no eye ring, young Brown Thrasher without an eye ring? Cindy, silly me. Luke is 7, you've 'said' that.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #7760908

If it had an eye ring, I would think it may be a Wood Thrush juvie.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 4, 2010
3:30 PM

Post #7764224

I got this in the e-mail today and thought of you birders, the osprey picture was the May winner
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/kodakmoment/Earth2010.jhtml?&sourceId=912127311103&cm_mmc=eMail_-_Gallery_-_Engagement_-_20100504+kodak+moment+may
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #7764340

Wow...all of them are spectacular! Thanks for sharing, Sandra.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #7764751

Garderner's helper.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #7764790

A very cute little helper ;o)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7764823

...then there is the 'Gardener's helper- wanna- be'. lol. Thanks Kim.

* Disclaimer; neither the dog nor the flowers is mine.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #7764893

Shoot I was wanting to know what those pretty pink flowers are.

I have a mystery that I bet can be attributed to my squirrels. I keep some fish food in a plastic bottle with a flip top lid on a shelf just outside the back door. I went to feed the fish this afternoon and no food!!! At first I thought I had probably just taken it inside by mistake. I have looked everywhere and that container is just not inside or outside. I bet those darn squirrels are having a feast! The container was full!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7766016

Charlotte I can relate with the feeling of frustration. I bet my missing suet feeder can be traced back to the squirrels as well. I walked around the garden looking for the missing feeder, it was no where to be found. I just rehung the feeder for the nursing woodpeckers and other birds in the yard with small babies (I assumed there are babies--no pix though).

On the 'Pink flowers'. Those are Lavender Rhododendron on my neighbor's property. I've a small bush or two but not anywhere near that size. They're pretty.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 5, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #7766339

Nice photos Sandra - thanks for sharing!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #7767959

I planted one rhododendron last year. It was a rescue from Lowe's. It's still living but no sign of blooms!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010

Post #7767976

It takes a while for those plants to get established...one it does. Acidic fertilizer and semishade condition it will thrive for you. :-)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7768870

"Can one get some privacy here?" said the Carolina Wren. lol. A pair of these social birds decided to nest here. I love watching them running in and out of the Gourd nest. At time, they will patrol over a chipmund running in the ground. Other time the wren will bump into a big 'old Brown Thrasher. They're a hoot.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7768971

I adore those little birds!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #7768993

Boys, the Brown Thrashers don't know what's in stored for them. Taking a walk out this morning I found a pair BT are bringing straws and such to build a nest just right above the Wrens' nest!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7769022

They will be very close neighbors!

New thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1094718/

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2010
7:07 AM

Post #7769025

Few feet from the nesting site, I've set out mealworm buffet for the Wrens to feed their little ones. Now I bet you the Brown Thrashers will benefit from that too. Just hope they will coexisting in peace. Grrrrrrr.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America