Need help figuring out how many fence posts are needed.

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

Hi All,

We are putting up an electric fence & need to know how many posts we need to go around 2 acres. Anyone here know how to figure that out?

Thank you,

ants

Richmond, TX

Yes, but we'll need to know what shape your 2 acres are and what you will be containing; for example goats need a lot better fence than horses.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Is this a temporary fence or a permanent one ?
Are you keeping deer out or animals in ?

For a temporary fence to keep deer out, put the posts about 30 feet apart. Use a good strong corner post. One wire about 12" off the ground, the other about 3 ft off the ground.

For permanent fence, use larger posts about 20 ft apart. Wires would depend on the animals you are containing.

The main thing is using a big enough fencer unit. Go with one rated at 8 miles for your big area. If it is to small, there won't be enough shock to do any good.

If you have a TSC store or some kind of farm store, check with them. They should be able to help.

Bernie

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Ants -- i googled it and found this page...

http://www.afence.com/Electric_Fence/how_to_elecfence/elecinstall.htm

I think you'd need to know the dimensions of your lot... xx by xx
then you'd figure how close/far apart you'd want the posts, to calculate how many you'd need.

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

Ok. We are trying to keep our dogs in & the neighbors dogs out. Land is a little over 300 feet in the front & 150 in the back. I don't know the side dimentions, but the land is 2 acres. Thanks for your help :)

ants

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

The fencer unit we got says it will do 10 acres, I don't see where it says anything about miles. Also got 60 poles, a bunch of insulators (I think 3 different kinds), 2 spools of wire & some fence closing things.

ants

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Tie some little pieces of white cloth between posts so the dogs can see the fence.

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

Sounds like that would take all the fun out of it :) JK :)

ants

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

well... so YOUR dogs can see it.

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

We printed out the instructions you sent & studying on them now. Thank you. Any other helpful hints & tips anyone may have would be great also.

ants

Richmond, TX

Our dogs (mostly very large) are easily contained by two strands of hot wire: one at 12'' and one at 20". We also have a single drive-over strand across the gate at 4" which keeps all but the (smallest) smartest ones in. You will want to arrange for them to touch it in a calm moment so they learn not to. If they run through it in an excited pursuit they may not associate the zorch with the fence.

Waddy, KY

I'd go with at least three strands with the first one about 6 inches off the ground so they don't try to crawl under it. If your dog is a jumper I think you'd have to go higher with more strands.

Janet

Richmond, TX

Once they've been zapped I doubt they will try to jump. So set them up for a shocking experience as soon as it is built.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

My lab got zapped once and now will never go near anything that even resembles wire. Smart dog.
Bonnie

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

My neighbor keeps her 2 large dogs confined with electric fence.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images