-
AuthorContent
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7696681

I don't know my snakes but this one was just in my pond! Hubby thinks its a ewater mocassin. I think garden snake. Need to know because I have cats and dogs in yard. Have had two fish die for no clear reason in the last week.

Thumbnail by jlj072174
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #7696913

not a water mocassin, but I don't know what it is. WM are poison btw and that means their eye will have a long slit shaped pupil, non poison snakes have a round pupil.
that is only true in the US btw, not always true in other countries.
http://www.wf.net/~snake/moccasin.htm as you can see WM do not have a striped pattern, they are black and brown.
I understand the WM are a very aggressive snake.
Either way, any snake will eat your fish. If it is not poison I would dip it out with a net and relocate it.
Maybe you have a conservation dpt in your area that will come out and ID it for you.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #7696927

the fish dying, who knows, the snakes will eat them, so no little body would be found :)
If you can get close enough to see it's eyes, you will know if it is poison or not.

http://www.sensationalserpents.com/snake-identification#Eye_Pupil_Shape

here is a good link for snake ID tips, scroll down the page to see examples of eye pupil id.

No snakes are good around your pond, but snakes are handy for eating rodents, including mice, rats, MOLES, chipmunks, voles, ect. They also eat lizzards, birds, birds eggs, baby animals, and frogs, ect.
I used to have a large black snake in my yard that ate moles, I know because some dummy killed him, and the moles took over quickly after that.

jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2010
11:42 AM

Post #7697050

I looked on another site for pictures and believe he's a garter snake. Hubby's been trying to get him out from the rocks to relocate him from the pond but no luck yet. Two fish were found floating; one hasn't been seen in a few days. Might be the two I found floating were too big for the snake to eat.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #7699211

Garter snakes are the happy snakes you don't mind having in your garden. They usually eat small frogs on land, and have a harder time with fish due to their small mouths. You'll want to keep him around.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2010
7:53 AM

Post #7699340

I think she may have been asking if the dead fish she found in the pond were related to this snake? I do not think so, as if a snake killed a fish it would certainly eat it? Why would a snake kill a fish and not eat it? That doesn't seem right to me. Unless the snake is large enough to eat her fish, (don't know how big the fish are compared to the snake) I would just leave it be.
The other thing is I know for sure that large bull frogs will also eat fish. Usually at night, is when the bull frogs are active feeding. I can't think of anything that would kill a fish and not eat then. But anyway, if she is having dead fish, I would think there is another reason besides the snake. I suppose the snake could have introduced some kind of harmful bacteria to the water, but then again you could get that from a dog drinking out of the pond, a frog jumping in, or leaves blowing in? ?
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #7699350

All poisonous snakes in the US, EXCEPT the coral snake, have triangular shaped heads. If you get close enough to see their eyes, you're probably bitten!
Your snake looks harmless. He'll get rid of mice, etc.
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2010
10:56 AM

Post #7699818

Thanks much, everyone! As for the dead/missing fish (2 floating dead; 1 went missing), my thought was maybe the snake killed the fish, but they were too big to eat. The third (missing) one might've been just the right size for snake swallowing. Not sure.

I do have bullfrogs as well, but they've managed to coexist with the fish for 2 years with no issues/problems. Not sure why they'd start now, unless it was a matter of waiting until they go big enough.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7706404

Always remember...as soon as the spring temps roll in, and quickly warm up the winter water, you can have a quick fish kill... If the deaths are not predator related (and it may have just been a coincidence about the snake) it could be a number of other things. I'd make sure the leaves and other decaying matter is off the bottom, and you add some bacteria/enzyme product to keep down the aeronoma's. I'd also do a parasitic treatment (do the kind that doesn't make you bypass your filters)
helenchild
Decatur, GA

April 15, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #7707268

I have a rule of thumb that when you have snakes in your yard you probably have rodents. For that reason I think of snakes as my friends and would never bother them. But one time I found my little dog and cat harassing a large rattlesnake. We lived at that time in the N.Georgia woods. I got the dog and cat secured and then turned the hose on the snake from a safe distance. He got tired of that pretty soon and slithered off into the woods. I never saw him again. I was glad he didn't like our hospitality.
Helen
skidz
Wetumpka, AL

March 30, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8460280

Looks like a garter snake to me. Definitely not a water moccasin--they don't have stripes.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8460319

My only comment is YUK!!! We don't even have very large worms up here much less snakes. Call me rabidly phobic...even a garter snake would send me packing at high speed. Close enough to see his eyes --- you have GOT to be kidding. euuuwww.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8462420

The animal that kills without eating is a raccoon. I can accept killing for food, not for the joy of killing. Sometimes they bite the heads off, sometimes they throw them out of the pond. If you have marginals, raccoons usually knock them over. Disgusting.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8462599

Years ago I had a cat that would kill snakes. We had no idea how many she killed until after she was gone...
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8462814

ah, well there is an animal that kills and doesn't eat it... a cat! IF they are not too fat and lazy to even kill something. We had a cat once that laid on the floor watching a mouse run by. He looked as is to say 'hey there, Fred!' lol
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8463332

My Dad in Tennessee kept two cats just for that reason, and for mice I assume. but mostly for the snakes.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8463516

Frilly - I have a cat like that. It depends upon her mood as to whether she will go after a mouse or not. Like I have told DH many times, she is the 'princess'

Good thing my male goes after mouse, regardless of his moods.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8463703

Cats love to go after birds or mice and proudly bring them to their owners like a present. However, I don't think they'd go after your fish unless the pond is very shallow. Besides, I'm not really afraid of a pussycat. Glad cats are no afraid of snakes.

Raccoons on the other hand are truly vicious. I'm kind of scared of them for their ability to attack and for the rabies threat.
jeanniejayne
Smyrna, DE

April 3, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8468805

From my reference book " Eastern Forests" this is a garter snake. I was pretty sure but checked anyway. They are land snakes that like to be near water. They like to bask on rocks -- just like the ones most of us have around our ponds. They eat earthworms, frogs, toads, salamanders and the occasional small fish. I'd go with the oxygen depletion from roting vegetation or raccoon, both of which I've had this winter because I didn't clean up well enough last fall, and the 'coons were desperate for food with all the snow. I have frogs as well and no problems with them eating at least the bigger fish, but I lost 5 frogs this winter, too, after the pond froze (my heater went on the blink). We seem to have a new generation.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

April 3, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8469350

Cats keep the rodents down which is what brings in the snakes. I wouldn't have thought cats would bother the snakes themselves. But I have been wrong before!
mstella, no snakes in AK? I wouldn't have thought that either.
Helen
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8469495

Helen, it's too cold for cold blooded creatures. they would just freeze. i think we do have some frogs that bury themselves in the mud for the winter, just little bitty guys. And we have 6-10" worms, which is more than enough to scare the poo out of me. Usually they are only a couple of inches long. unearthed a granddaddy worm last summer and I about had a heart attack. I carefully moved him to another part of the garden. They may scare me but they do indicate and assist a healthy garden.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 3, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8469667

The only defense a garter snake has is a bad odor when scared . It's harmless . The most that could happen is if you picked it up it would stink your hands up .

This message was edited Apr 3, 2011 6:53 PM
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8469908

Yuk. shiver. euweeuuu. I feel all creepy crawly just thinking about it.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8469989

it does stink, and you can't get it to wash off either I found out.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 4, 2011
4:45 AM

Post #8470571

Use a little bleach in the wash water . The left over smell is usually the modules that have been breathed into your nose . Promise .
jeanniejayne
Smyrna, DE

April 23, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8515156

I had a cat who once brought home a 4 foot black snake and left it on the porch! She caught at least 4 in her life, and poached the odd muffin as well ;>).

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 361 Jun 7, 2014 5:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America