Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Talk: Need solution for keeping the label info on garden products

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 17, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 11, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #7697880

Rooting hormone...spreader sticker...bug killer... fertilizer... I have a devil of a time preserving the labels.

If all the info is contained totally on the label...(meaning no multiple folded pages attached to the jug/jar /bottle whatever... I cover the entire label with clear packing tape. I can read through it and it stays clean and not impacted by dirt/water, etc. But after a few seasons ... it too falls apart.

I've tried taking a ziploc bag and slipping the multipage instructions inside and taping it to the jar/jug. But after a while it gets separated...

Cleaning out my potting area --- I have a few jars/bottles/jugs of...??? Or I know what it is but the dosing information is gone.. What do you all do to keep this info intact? I know I can do better...but to stop what I am doing to get a baggie or tape... or something to preserve the label...just never gets done. Next season --I am sorry I was so sloppy and of course that stuff is expensive.

Thanks!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #7697929

You could make up a chart for the dosage for many products but for all the other information it would probably take all winter!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 11, 2010
7:59 PM

Post #7698314

Yes, I thought of that ...but if I am to be honest ... I can't even manage to get the label back in the baggie after I take it out to mix up a brew of something.. and as the tape peels, my shoes are always muddy or I don't want to stop what I am doing to take care of it.. I think if I had to rely on my making a chart --I would do it as a project but I bet once done, I would not add the new purchases to it. Procrastinator!

Today I found this small white plastic jug --- I thought it was the spreader sticker...but then I found that ...so another jug had to be tossed because I didn't know what was in it. Then I found a baggie with a label in it...but it didn't look like that label fit on that jug. I figured some DG'er or two will have some ingenious way of taking care of this that I haven't thought of.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2010
4:22 AM

Post #7698816

You are not alone!

This was the best I could do and I didn't include dosage because with each of these items it's more like a handful will do the job. I wouldn't do that with Miracle Gro but for some things it works fine.

Oh, the jug that says Cashews is something else. I know I'll remember it...just give me some time! You know how it is!

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 12, 2010
5:15 AM

Post #7698885

Grin!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7698911

How about a hanging board so you could write (with an attached Sharpie that you're not allowed to remove from the chain holding it to the board):

Miracle Gro for tomatoes
roses
Fungicide - ____TBSP per gallon

etc.
jkochan
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2010
11:16 AM

Post #7705300

I take a digital picture of the label and put the picture in one of my gardening folders under pest control, weed prevention, or fertilizers. I use the closeup setting on the camera and high resolution.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 14, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #7706549

Two great ideas

Pirl - you 'got' me with the sharpie that is chained ---because as you know...having to go find a pen to write something down...usually means..."Ah, I will do it later"

Would probably have to chain that camera and keep the extra batteries taped to the side.

Yesterday...I was looking at my ruined Dansko clog work shoes... just leaned down to pluck a weed...and an hour later the shoes were wrecked - scratched and nasty. On the screened porch...right on the potting bench..are several pair of ruined shoes. I have to pass them on the way out the door to the garden. Do I EVER stop to put them on...nope... and it would take 1 minute to do.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7706925

Sounds too much like me and work gloves. I have more than a dozen brand new pair of Nitrile gloves but it takes a lot to get me to actually wear them - pine needles do encourage me.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 15, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7707067

Yeah and I always think I will polish up the snippers and wash the gloves and clean off the tools ...and then I will do it...and make a vow to keep it up ---but alas, I don't.

Ticks stuck in my head do provide the fuel to get me back in the house to get the hat though.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2010
8:38 PM

Post #7709036

Oh, I love this! :) The shoes are me and probably a lot of other gardeners. I wash my gym shoes in the washer on cold and set them ouside to dry. It works great.
I try to grab gloves and a shovel when I go out to just "look" 'cause I know I will probably end up doing something while I'm looking at the gardens.
I did take in some of my shovels and cleaned them during the winter. As for labels, I would suggest writing the basic info on a piece of paper and taking packaging tape to tape over the homemade label. That is a winter project. I haven't had trouble with losing my labels, but that would be frustrating.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2010
5:13 AM

Post #7709456

Tattoos! Why didn't we think of it sooner?
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 16, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7709670

As I mentioned earlier I do use the packing tape over the label (THAT I do...do... ) but it gets wet I guess and peels and after a year or two -- well it works but it isn't great. I put the label in ziploc bag and tape it to the jug also.. (Now I have a bunch of ziploc bags LOOSE and naked jugs!)
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 16, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7709686

bird - I wear crocs and socks

the crocs can go right under the water in the kitchen sink.

But of course... I have 'good' crocs' and 'garden crocs' but the 'good' crocs make it to the garden quite frequently and then join the ranks of garden crocs. But I have to give credit to the croc folks...you can make a TON of trips to the garden with the 'good' crocs and still have them wash up and still look like 'good' crocs. BUT don't DON"T get that spray foam stuff on them ... I was making a 'rock' and needed to fill in the metal screening holes (a stucco screen) to put the concrete over the mold I made for the rock and crocs and that expandable foam stuff doesn't mix well. And it sticks to formica ... and the sink... and clothes... and doorknobs... and hair...what a royal mess.

PS the croc folks make a great knee pad. I got on Ebay for 5.50. lightweight... soft... bendable and easy on the knees (purple too!)
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #7709799

rosie: You crack me up! :) I am LOL and I really mean laughing out loud! :)
Crocks don't work for me so well. They hurt my feet even with socks if I have to do a lot of tromping around especially on uneven ground-up and down a hill or steps. So, I just stick to my gym shoes unless it's a quick walk outside for something like to cut basil for dinner or get the mail.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 17, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #7714167

ah...birder... it is that 'quick walk' that can get you in all sorts of trouble... you start out all innocent with just a need for some basil or to get the mail...and the next thing you know your are knee deep in a major mess or project. See start out with good shoes and come back with a new pair of 'garden shoes.'

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #7716331

Ah Rosie! I'm LOL again and even had to read a few threads to my daughter! :) I have been caught walking out with my leather fleece lined house shoes and now they have dirt in them! :( You know, I was just going to get the mail!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 18, 2010
8:49 PM

Post #7716830

It's a national epidemic --- this aversion to taking the time to wear our 'proper' gardening duds!

pro -'grass'-tination (a 'dirt' y little secret)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America