Photo by Melody

Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualities: I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED

Communities > Forums > Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualities
bookmark
Forum: Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualitiesReplies: 2, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #7699950

I planted three starts in a small group way back on the end of my lot. I mow over it every week. The spot is now about six feet by six feet. It will not die. I will before it does! I would not give one to anyone. LOL
aliann
Latrobe, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7700713

To anyone considering planting Comfrey - it is VERY difficult to get rid of and spreads. My father planted some about 30 years ago and it has spread along the back length of my lot. It has tap roots that get enormous and also self-seeds. And it has no problem growing in the half clay / half rock that is my yard!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7701939

Thanks for raising the red flag! I had read some call it invasive, (and thought I had said more about that in the article than "perhaps too easy [ to grow]). But weekly mowing and it still spreads--that is extreme!
Some commercial ones, and the Russian species, are supposed to be less- or non- self sowing. But, famous last words like that have been said about a lot of plants.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualities Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Now I'm even happier... critterologist 4 Apr 9, 2010 6:59 AM
Good info! Sundownr 2 Apr 14, 2010 6:28 AM
Handy for first aid, too! imapigeon 1 Apr 10, 2010 5:36 AM
regarding comfrey, cjvwm 1 Apr 13, 2010 6:47 AM
PROOF WAS IN THE PUDDING docgipe 1 Apr 13, 2010 6:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America