Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualities: the other side of comfrey

Communities > Forums > Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualities
bookmark
Forum: Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualitiesReplies: 3, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
spiersy
Sarnia, prov. of Ont
Canada

April 12, 2010
12:14 PM

Post #7700003

Hi there...
I grew comfrey for years. At first, because I thought it was really quite good looking. After that, I grew it because I couldn't kill it. If it isn't were you planted it - it is a weed. kill it, quick.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7701942

Thanks for the report. You are not the only one to raise the red flag; comfrey can be hard or impossible to get rid of, because the deep roots make it very hardy.
ienvan
Nakusp
Canada
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2010
9:35 AM

Post #7702468

Comfrey is indeed invasive. It self-seeds too, so keep your patch away from the main garden.
On the other hand, it is a generous, wonderful plant that deserves respect. Chickens will eat it
IF it is vertical, either as a live plant, or hanging from the rafters.

A friend of mine makes an incredible liniment based on comfrey, poplar buds and other herbs.
I used it when I was recovering from a broken ankle and had to get back to work on my feet. I'd
limp into the shower, in pain, apply the salve, and be painfree for the day. I gave a jar to my
sister-in-law whose broken ankle was a long time healing. It did its magic there too.
I have NO financial interest in this one. http://flyinghandsfarm.addr.com

aguy1947
Portugal Cove-St. Ph, NL
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9124404

Borage Family - typically sows seeds wantonly... 'ergo' invasive. I have one plant on the edge of a weedy area on a slope. So far the competition keeps the Comfrey in check.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualities Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Now I'm even happier... critterologist 4 Apr 9, 2010 6:59 AM
Good info! Sundownr 2 Apr 14, 2010 6:28 AM
Handy for first aid, too! imapigeon 1 Apr 10, 2010 5:36 AM
regarding comfrey, cjvwm 1 Apr 13, 2010 6:47 AM
PROOF WAS IN THE PUDDING docgipe 1 Apr 13, 2010 6:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America