Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualities: the other side of comfrey

Communities > Forums > Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualities
bookmark
Forum: Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualitiesReplies: 3, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pspiersy
Sarnia, prov. of Ont
Canada

April 12, 2010
12:14 PM

Post #7700003

Hi there...
I grew comfrey for years. At first, because I thought it was really quite good looking. After that, I grew it because I couldn't kill it. If it isn't were you planted it - it is a weed. kill it, quick.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7701942

Thanks for the report. You are not the only one to raise the red flag; comfrey can be hard or impossible to get rid of, because the deep roots make it very hardy.
ienvan
Nakusp
Canada
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2010
9:35 AM

Post #7702468

Comfrey is indeed invasive. It self-seeds too, so keep your patch away from the main garden.
On the other hand, it is a generous, wonderful plant that deserves respect. Chickens will eat it
IF it is vertical, either as a live plant, or hanging from the rafters.

A friend of mine makes an incredible liniment based on comfrey, poplar buds and other herbs.
I used it when I was recovering from a broken ankle and had to get back to work on my feet. I'd
limp into the shower, in pain, apply the salve, and be painfree for the day. I gave a jar to my
sister-in-law whose broken ankle was a long time healing. It did its magic there too.
I have NO financial interest in this one. http://flyinghandsfarm.addr.com

aguy1947
Portugal Cove-St. Ph, NL
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9124404

Borage Family - typically sows seeds wantonly... 'ergo' invasive. I have one plant on the edge of a weedy area on a slope. So far the competition keeps the Comfrey in check.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has uncommon qualities Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Now I'm even happier... critterologist 4 Apr 9, 2010 6:59 AM
Good info! Sundownr 2 Apr 14, 2010 6:28 AM
Handy for first aid, too! imapigeon 1 Apr 10, 2010 5:36 AM
regarding comfrey, cjvwm 1 Apr 13, 2010 6:47 AM
PROOF WAS IN THE PUDDING docgipe 1 Apr 13, 2010 6:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America