Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lot4us2
Charlottesville, VA

April 12, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #7700959

Here in central Virginia, on the cusp of hardiness zones 6b and 7a, we plant pansies in the fall and enjoy them during the fall, winter and spring, that is, whenever there's no snow to cover them up. They seem to love the cold, and all the snow we had this winter didn't seem to phase them a bit, but they hate heat. So, most people dig them up and toss them away because the heat will kill them anyway if left out. I'd like to try oversummering them inside. I have an unheated basement which might work. They are Canadian grown Deltas of various colors. Does anyone have experience with this?
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2010
11:07 PM

Post #7799628

No, but I was thinking the same thing. The main thing would be to have adequate light. Do you already have a good fluorescent light setup? I do not, yet...
arfitz
Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2010
8:11 AM

Post #7952203

I have a beautiful Violet?/ pansy? in a large flat pot that I got from local nursery.It is called Etian and was blooming beautifly until the hot weather started. Now it is not blooming at all and the stems are dying back. I removed it from where it was under 1/2 day sun and put it on a table where it would get shade under an overhead shade tent. It still looks sd. Should I try replanting it in the Garden where it gets no direct sun or just leave it on the table and keep it well watered, or even bring it into the house on a window sill?
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2010
9:17 AM

Post #7952366

I have put many of my withered violas in moist shady areas for oversummering with good effects. It is a lot less stress than trying to water a shallow container in the heat of the summer where they are more prone to drying out. It only takes one day to lose what you may have strived for months to save.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7986793

Well, has anyone started any new ones, or tried to over-summer their old ones?? I forgot all about this thread and just put my "fried" ones in the place where they get mostly bright shade all day except for the morning sun. They seem to be perking up. I really waited too long, though as the bottoms are quite dry.

See the bottom of this scene?

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8812086

Is there any other annual that takes the winters. I am at 3,500 feet and we do get freezes and some snow. I have only ever had violas or pansies.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2013
5:39 PM

Post #9652797

Sweet William and Dianthus. Luciee
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2013
12:07 PM

Post #9653348

Also if you like bachelor buttons, sow them this fall. I, too, live at that same elevation. Calendulas if they are away from the deer will live sometimes 3 or more years, in part sun. They do not really like the heat, but will tolerate it if they are established. Have you sown any California poppies? This is getting near the time to sow any hardy annuals.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2013
4:46 PM

Post #9659151

I moved the pansies into a mostly shaded area for the summer, though there is some hot sun for part of the day. They are all doing well, but I am sure they will be happier when it cools off.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Violas and Violettas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome, Pansy and Violet-lovers! Terry 6 May 25, 2007 11:25 AM
Anybody use them in cooking? Dea 10 Feb 27, 2012 3:49 PM
Wild One hczone6 15 May 15, 2008 8:18 PM
Wild violets kniphofia 5 Mar 26, 2007 3:58 PM
All violets are not the same anastatia 8 Sep 25, 2007 1:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America