Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges': Was wondering how I missed this article

Communities > Forums > Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges'
bookmark
Forum: Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges'Replies: 7, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #7702185

Then I realized I did not become a member until March of 2008 so that explains it! Great job Debbie!
Now I have to scrounge some more money and go find some Euphorbias!!! Dang enablers anyway...

Doug
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #7702349

Thanks Doug :) I had a lot of fun with this article because I love these Euphorbias! Winter was not so kind to those in the gardens this year but they just need a haircut. I'll lose the 'flowers' for this year but I can live with it because it's all about the foliage for me anyway :) Getting ready to plant two new ones this year: 'Ascot Rainbow' and 'Ruby Glow' - just have to decide where. You really can't go wrong with them - gorgeous foliage all year round!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #7702483

We have 'Shorty', which spreads beautifully. It was gifted to us, and I didn't know there were other hardy ones! Thanks for the info and for posting all the great pics.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #7703184

Uh oh, just read this again with my actual yard in mind ... dear dear. Thanks, Deb!
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2010
12:59 AM

Post #7704231

Ky...LOVE 'Shorty'! I had read everywhere that it was only hardy to Zone 7 but wanted to try it anyway. Planted it two years ago and it came through one of the coldest winters we had had in years - looked even better than those which were supposedly hardier! This is what it looked like last spring after temperatures cold enough to freeze (and burst!) the water line in our basement!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2010
1:02 AM

Post #7704233

And this is what it looked like last September :)

Thumbnail by rcn48
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2010
1:10 AM

Post #7704237

Carrie, you're welcome - I think! LOL I've never found a Euphorbia I didn't like :) Had lusted after 'Tasmanian Tiger' for years but I have to say it's one that I've finally given up on :( However, the sport from TT, 'Glacier Blue' has proven hardier and even though it looks a little ragged coming through the winter at least it survives and I actually think I prefer the "blue" and white variegation better than TT!

'Blackbird' is another one that seems a little fussy. Definitely doesn't grow as large as some of those I have but the almost black foliage lures me in and I keep trying. The new one I'm trying this year, 'Ruby Glow', has foliage that's supposed to darken up after spring and I'll know by the end of summer if it's a winner!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #7711392

Oh, sigh, I thought I'd successfully forgotten about this topic!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges' Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very well presented article pirl 7 Jan 26, 2008 2:11 AM
Lovely Shrubs debnes_dfw_tx 3 Jan 28, 2008 5:52 PM
Wow, I'm impressed! darius 7 Jan 26, 2008 8:12 PM
Oh mercy.... Chantell 2 Jan 26, 2008 1:51 AM
Talisman Tiger? bearroadie2 6 Apr 20, 2010 10:46 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America