Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cottage Gardening: Dividing Moonbeam coreopsis plant

Communities > Forums > Cottage Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Cottage GardeningReplies: 11, Views: 198
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2010
3:58 AM

Post #7704323

After several years of asking for my daughter to divide her Moonbeam coreopsis with me, she shows up with this hugh hunk and it fills the top of an outdoor trash can Everytime she and I would think about dividing this plant, it would be the wrong time to divide it. She thinks she may have got this plant about 5 yrs. ago, but she is not sure. Are these plants slow growers or was that plant just so crowded by others beside of it that it didn't spread much. I was thinking about trying to make 4 plants out of it, she is suggesting only two so I'll get a nice full show. It watered it after she left, and it rained yesterday afternoon so it's moist enough to hold until this afternoon when I can plant it. If anybody has any experience with this plant, please post them here for me and others.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7706184

Well, I divided that hugh Moonbeam coreopsis into 3 pieces. My daughter's soil is that yellow clay and it had rained on Thursday a week ago and when she dug it up said it needed watering, so I did that night and then it rained yesterday so that clay was soaked and heavy. Ended up using a hachet to break it up into 3 pieces so I could lift the big hunks and then they were still heavy. I hope it transplanted okay..We have great soil here that my husband has worked with and probably still needs to lighten some. Our first home that we bought in 1967 was only 1 mile from where my daughter lives now and we didn't have yellow clay; ours was rich, black soil. I know the man we bought from loved flowers so maybe he had admented the soil while he lived there. Will have to try to pull some information together for her but knowing her she won't spend the money for the admendments.
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #7706342

I don't know moonbeam in particular, but usually coreopsis spread pretty well. Maybe it was being held back by having to fight the clay. My experience is that they're pretty easily going about being forcibly transplanted, so I'd guess you're in good shape.

If your daughter doesn't want to amend her garden soil, maybe you can at least get her to mulch with her leaves and yard clippings. Even for really tough clay, that's a good start...

Show us a picture of your new flowers when you get a chance...
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #7716084

If they are in clay soil, I bet that is why they aren't spreading fast. I think they prefer a nice loose soil and will probably spread more readily in it :) At least they are growing nice enough to split up! Maybe put a three inch layer of compost over their planting spots and work it into the soil. That seems to make everything happy for me. :)
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2011
4:10 AM

Post #8462045

I'm wondering if my coreopsis will be coming back this year. I really only see one sign of it and it looked all dried up. Is this the way it does in the winter? Should I cut it all the way back before winter sets in to assure Spring blooms? I am wondering if the variety is more the Zagreb instead of moonbeam. My daughter can't remember and I don't know if she kept any tags attached or not. It's been quite a number of years and I doubt it.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8462783

I've found it to be tough as nails, both in CT, nice deep rich soil, and on LI Z6, sandy. If it doesn't look happy when it comes up, I'd dig it up, wash off the clay, and re-plant in your nice soil. It will be worth the effort!

Good luck.

Pam
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8463772

Fortunately we don't have to deal with clay soil but my daughter 8 miles away does. I think in the Fall about late Sept. or early October, I'd like to add a lot of shredded leaves into my flowerbeds. We have rich soil because my husband added a lot of compost and leaf gro before as well as top soil, etc. Maybe I should pull a tarp out on the breezeway/patio and dig up all the plants and add lots of leaf mulch or more leaf gro and then replant. Sounds like a lot of work but it could be done in stages, one bed at a time or 1/2 of each flowerbed in one day and get the other half another day, then plant my tulips and daffs and hyacinths.

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8463877

It sounds like your beds are fine...I was just thinking of the coreopsis, if it's still in the clay it came from. Otherwise I can't imagine why it wouldn't come back strong. I've never found it to be fussy at all. In CT was growing for years between huge rocks, not even in full sun, crowded by creeping Jenny, ferns and who knows what else-- I didn't put it there, btw, but it soldiered on. Now I clear away the competition a couple of times during the season and it has filled in. Where I used to have it, full sun, sandy but decent soil, it expanded nicely and I was able to divide it and spread it around quite a lot.
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8470951

I have mine in full sun in clay. I have both Zagreb and Moonbeam. for me, both are on the slow side of growing but I do think it's because it's in clay. I amend, amend, amend but they're still slow growers for me.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2011
1:57 AM

Post #8611994

Remember the coreopsis my daughter gave me back in April 2010? I split the hugh hunk she gave me into 3 good size pieces and they have done so well, but I plan to divide those hunks again come late Fall. I probably will need to divide my black-eye susans again too, and the bronze mums. Coreopsis are in bloom now, the BES will be starting soon, coneflowers are starting, I can see the buds(if Bambi doesn't get them first). Cutting back the Becky Shastas and the Coreposis "Sunray" today. Almost forgot to mention that the California poppies started blooming yesterday and Rose campion one day last week, as well as the larkspurs in front of the brick front of the garage. I want to add some more pinks to the flowerbeds..My friend Chris bought me a nice pot of them the last time she was here. They are planted in same bed with larkspur. Same bed as where the comtesse de bouchard clematis used to be before it died(Or I killed it?) Oh yes, Patty's plum poppy popped open in that same bed. There's color popping up all around out there. Maybe this year it is a hodgepodge; I will do better next year.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2011 2:17 PM

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8674901

What's wrong with hodgepodge? Sounds pretty to me!
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8793050

I think the coreopsis I have is probably "Zagreb." It has the dark yellow blooms. Someone mentioned that "Moonbeam" coreopsis is more compact and doesn't get as tall and is a softer, lighter shade of yellow. I've already cut backthe coreopsis once this summer and it's come back just as full and tall as it was before. It'll get another shearing in a few weeks as well as division.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cottage Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
my garden...ever changing notmartha 109 Jun 19, 2010 3:07 AM
The Evolution of a 1917 Cottage Garden lincolnitess 7 Jun 13, 2008 8:36 PM
June -to the end! notmartha 81 Mar 7, 2008 10:29 AM
i luv this pic notmartha 52 May 2, 2008 3:49 AM
Annuals in the Cottage Garden ladygardener1 68 Jun 6, 2010 1:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America