Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Saving Seeds: Petunia

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 4, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7708819

Could anyone please tell me in detail how to collect and save seeds from a petunia?
nedweenie
Windsor, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7710657

Don't pinch off the spent bloom. Wait. After the trumpet falls off, there'll be a pyramid shaped seed cone left behind. Wait (some more!) till it turns brown. At this point (or just before) you can gently put a little bag over it to catch the seed, or a tray or pan underneath. Or you can pinch off that section, and put it in a container or paper bag (ya need good air circulation) to dry it out further. The pyramid cone should burst open on its own, or when it feels really dry & hard you can carefully poke a hole it in to shake out the seed. The seed is super tiny. But there's a decent amount of it in one pod.

I keep most of my seed in an unheated garage, out of the light. I usually store it in glass jars or old prescription bottles.

That's what I do.

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7711349

Thank you nedweenie :) I just got this petunia and I love it! I want to make sure I have it around for a long time :) I would be happy to send you some seeds when I successfully harvest them if you like.
This is the one I have http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/124954/

Thank you soooo much,
Steph
nedweenie
Windsor, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #7712517

You're welcome. Keep in mind though, that since it's a hybrid, the seed grown offspring won't be exact replicas of the parent plant. (Or unfortunately the seeds might even be sterile.) If you want that exact plant over & over, your best bet is to take cuttings and propagate more petunias that way.

I "overwinter" alot of tender annual cuttings in my basement under lights, but I've never done petunias. I read on another forum about someone who manages to keep their petunia plants going in cold frames over the winter, but their zone was zone 6. So I don't know how, or if, that would work in TX.

And thanks for the offer, but I have more saved seed than I can deal with myself! :)

Good luck with it~

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #7712787

Thanks for your help :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America