Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Saving Seeds: Petunia

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 4, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7708819

Could anyone please tell me in detail how to collect and save seeds from a petunia?
nedweenie
Windsor, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7710657

Don't pinch off the spent bloom. Wait. After the trumpet falls off, there'll be a pyramid shaped seed cone left behind. Wait (some more!) till it turns brown. At this point (or just before) you can gently put a little bag over it to catch the seed, or a tray or pan underneath. Or you can pinch off that section, and put it in a container or paper bag (ya need good air circulation) to dry it out further. The pyramid cone should burst open on its own, or when it feels really dry & hard you can carefully poke a hole it in to shake out the seed. The seed is super tiny. But there's a decent amount of it in one pod.

I keep most of my seed in an unheated garage, out of the light. I usually store it in glass jars or old prescription bottles.

That's what I do.

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7711349

Thank you nedweenie :) I just got this petunia and I love it! I want to make sure I have it around for a long time :) I would be happy to send you some seeds when I successfully harvest them if you like.
This is the one I have http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/124954/

Thank you soooo much,
Steph
nedweenie
Windsor, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #7712517

You're welcome. Keep in mind though, that since it's a hybrid, the seed grown offspring won't be exact replicas of the parent plant. (Or unfortunately the seeds might even be sterile.) If you want that exact plant over & over, your best bet is to take cuttings and propagate more petunias that way.

I "overwinter" alot of tender annual cuttings in my basement under lights, but I've never done petunias. I read on another forum about someone who manages to keep their petunia plants going in cold frames over the winter, but their zone was zone 6. So I don't know how, or if, that would work in TX.

And thanks for the offer, but I have more saved seed than I can deal with myself! :)

Good luck with it~

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #7712787

Thanks for your help :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America