Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Begonias: Water rooting leaves and rooting in perlite

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 7, Views: 295
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
10:14 AM

Post #7710132

Water rooting in a baby jar - new leaves of Hugh McLaughlin peeping out. It is in a large aquarium so humidity is high and the water has not been changed nor replenished.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
10:17 AM

Post #7710137

Texas Red Star has been sitting in this jar for months. Four jars share the same plastic lettuce container with another lettuce container as a top to keep humidity in and the nasties out.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
10:17 AM

Post #7710140

Another view of the same jar.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
10:18 AM

Post #7710145

I think this is U421 rooted in perlite in the same large aquarium (excellent for rooting things).

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

truongr
Saint Louis, MO

April 17, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7714130

Soooo cool! I am trying to root a reddie freedie in a syringe casing within an enclosed jar. So far, it's only been one wk... I love the idea of baby jar though. Texzas Red Star is gorgeous! Where did you get it from?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7747751

What is a reddie freedie? Is that Red Fred?

I've gotten Texas Red Star a couple of times - eBay, annual club sales, etc. This one is from Harmony from last summer as most of the other ones are too. I think I figured out what it likes and doesn't so hopefully I can keep it going plus propagate a few along the way.

Anyway, here is a pan of starts - my trouble begonia was Lotusland since it is so large and succulent. Out of a few leaves of it I got exactly one to throw up pups. Most of the other leaves are U357 since I cut each and every one of them off the mother plant due to looking ugly (probably from mildew before I had Milstop). Most have taken within a week or two. The other leaves are Plum Gorgeous (one) and a few George Fewkes. I have several holes poked in the bottom and use an identical pan for a drip tray. I only water the drip tray by adding a small level of water to it. The humidity cover is a Jiffy Grow lid and does not completely cover this large pan but just enough to keep the humidity up.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

truongr
Saint Louis, MO

April 29, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7749683

Yes i think it's Red Fred and it has rooted! I am far more successful with whole leaves than wedges but I have not yet met the challenge of propagating a large specimen.
begoniadude
Irving, TX

August 18, 2010
11:42 AM

Post #8047610

Earlier this year I started a leaf of Tiger Kitten in water. It rooted pretty quickly so I potted it up. I have had this one leaf growing in a pot for months with no new leaves. I was about to throw it out and to my surprise it now has four new leaves and seems to be taking off.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America