Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges': Irresistable

Communities > Forums > Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges'
bookmark
Forum: Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges'Replies: 1, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Caedi25
Kirkland, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2010
11:30 AM

Post #7710356

Debra!
A few years ago I fell prey to the siren song of a neighbor's hillside full of euphorbia characias wulfenii. Had a dry sun place that just cried out for such a thing. Best laid plans...On the hunt for wulfenii, got side-tracked by amygdaloides purpurea - tantalizing little burgundy guys with that contrasting chartreuse foliage. Who could resist? Put them in that dry sun spot, and, to their credit, they have done well despite their preference for shade. Have even begun to pop up elsewhere in that sunny area. However...

...How well do they transplant? Would love to move some of my purpureas to our shade garden, which would, of course, create space in the original bed for the addition of some of the stunners you suggest in your article. (I see that crazy/gorgeous "Bonfire" in my future...)

Best to you, Katy
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2010
3:01 AM

Post #7720225

Katy, I've successfully transplanted many volunteers from our Euphorbia amygdaloides purpurea as well as digging some for friends :) Often I'll give them a 'haircut' when transplanting to help them adjust to their new home but basically they're easy! I was discouraged the first year I planted 'Bonfire' because it was so small and seemed to take forever to grow. BUT, after wintering over one season I have to say it was worth the wait because it's spectacular now! My DH planted some in another area of the gardens which doesn't receive as much sun and "his" aren't nearly as gorgeous as mine :) LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges' Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very well presented article pirl 7 Jan 26, 2008 2:11 AM
Lovely Shrubs debnes_dfw_tx 3 Jan 28, 2008 5:52 PM
Wow, I'm impressed! darius 7 Jan 26, 2008 8:12 PM
Oh mercy.... Chantell 2 Jan 26, 2008 1:51 AM
Talisman Tiger? bearroadie2 6 Apr 20, 2010 10:46 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America