Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Caudiciforms: so what do you do with summer dormant plants?

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 7, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7711418

How do you keep summer dormants? Put them out with the others, stick them in the garage, or sell them to friends in the winter?
helenchild
Decatur, GA

April 17, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #7712557

I put the few I know to be summer dormant outside and water with caution. The heat and high humidity is dangerous for some touchy succulents. I suppose I have some that are summer dormant and I don't know it. Maybe those are the ones that rot and I am perplexed. :-\
I don't think I have any friends that would buy my plants. :-)
Helen
Dlmcgrw
Colton, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2010
9:42 PM

Post #7716922

helenchild, Thanks, your post gave me a good chuckle. Don
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #7719958

Really guys, I have never had any non summer succulents, and now I have 3, and need to figure out how to pay attention to these little buggers.
locoluna
Orlando, FL

April 19, 2010
11:15 PM

Post #7720142

I recently received a summer dormant succulent in a trade. I was advised not to water during this time. I plan to keep my succulents in a dry sunny location where I can control the moisture they receive. I lost a lot of succulents last year due to excessive rain on top of our super humid climate.
Dlmcgrw
Colton, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2010
10:14 AM

Post #7721109

Analogdog, Arn't most of the summer dormant plants from the southern hemisphere. The best plan, of course, would be to research the "in habitat" growing conditions of any particular plant and then use that information as a guide.

As a more general rule the southern hemisphere winter is at the same time as our summer. Knowing this, I would think that simulating winter conditions as best as possible would be a good general approach.

However, knowledge about rainfall in the plants' native habitat would still be critical. Does it get winter rain or summer monsoonal rain or just heavy fogs? You also might have to make an effort to keep the dormant plant cool.

I don't intend any of this as instructions, but only some things for you to think about.

Don
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2010
10:18 PM

Post #7723056

Oh, I did the reseach, and have one, Pelargonium alterans that needs to dry out in the summer or look non-desert for a P. alterans. I have been thinking about just keeping it out with the others with a big no water tag. Or maybe as part of a group of no summer water plants.
Dlmcgrw
Colton, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #7724212

AnalogDog, I sometimes go to a site called growing tropical plants in Tucson. It also comes up under desert tropicals. It has useful information developed for growers in that area. I find that often the info. is useful eventhough it is specific for that area. Let us know how your planned care works out. Don

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America