Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Weather: April Showers/April Flowers (Part 4)

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 324, Views: 1,529
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 16, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7711499

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1086698/

elegant clarkia in my yard

Thumbnail by Kelli
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 16, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #7711509

Back to the hiking pictures. There were 28 stream crossings on this trail. (14 going out and 14 coming back) I got my shoes wet on the first crossing so I didn't have to try to be careful anymore. I just walked through the water. I hate balancing on rocks anyway. I don't trust my legs. The water seemed good for my feet, too. They didn't get sore.

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #7711596

Dachshund/Chow... OK NO jokes coming from here... lol!

Kelli the Mockingbirds here are very territorial and wouldn't suffer any others w/in about 100 yards.
They do get loud occasionally but there are far noisier birds.
Our 20 pound cat I had when growing up got attacked by them and Blue Jays every summer.
This was a Warrior Cat... and he ran in fear.
I used a tennis racket!
Once I started raising pigeons though the killer birds disappeared.
Which is odd as Pigeons are dumber than rocks and easy prey to about anything but earthworms.

Storm rumbled through left little water and no damage...

Ric
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2010
4:09 AM

Post #7711976

A disappointing 0,11" in the rain gauge this morning--about half what had been forecast. This is probably not enough to end the burn ban. It is also a bit cooler this morning (46 instead of 49 degrees yesterday) but feels chillier since it is damp. Our maximum of 83 yesterday is probably the highest it will go for a few days and there may be scattered frosts the next couple of mornings. Next week is the date of the average last killing frost, so we are about on target despite highs in the upper 80s recently.
Flowers are still gorgeous.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2010
4:17 AM

Post #7711984

37 and colder. We aren't going to get very warm today.

Mau, laughing over Kiska's 40 ''heat wave!'' I usually do make the cakes. The box mix was just for convienience. A rose in April! It's just beautiful!

Celia, your forsythia is pretty! They don't do well in Iowa. If the frost doesn't get them, the sparrows eat the buds, or they have spotty blooms. My neighbor is going to take her's out this year. I have a few artificial wands of it that my Mom had for Spring decor.

Cindylove, Thanks! It went on for a couple of days so you didn't miss it by much, LOL! Ranting is allowed :o) I hear you on fields disappearing. All the trees disappeared down our old railroad tracks. I used to walk down them after I got married. I'd wade thru the white clover after it grew over (when the train quit running,) Then they got the bright idea to make a nature trail connecting the towns. First they tore out all the elms that arched ofer and made almost a tunnel, then, the beginning actually started 3/10 of a mile out of town. Well, now there are 5 cottonwoods left out there and NO ONE uses it except us, occasionally. They ruined it. That's why I love Dyson's picture.

Kiska, that's actually a breath of fresh air to knock my rant out of me :o) I love your picture! Look at all the traffic!

Sunfarm, I wondered what she was. How beautiful! I love lilacs and butterflies!

Dyson, I could eat fried green tomatoes every day and watch the movie almost as often! We are always quoting, ''we are older and have more insurance'' :o)

Pepper, I love the delicately colored daffs!

Marsue, the picture is still adorable!!

Kelli, I really can't identify any other bird in a mockingbird's song. I thought maybe they were migratory songs. It's the difference between them and the brown thrasher who also sings. Beautiful wild rose! I finally tore my state flower out last fall. It wasn't looking nice for a few years and got a rust on it that looked like a Cheeto. It only blooms for a little more than a couple of weeks too. Now it will take a few years to completely kill it before I can replant. Neat landslide! I love the Clarkia! What a beautiful picture. I love streams!

Ric, the tennis racket got me to laughing! The pigeon is an odd coincidence.

We take the boys home today and I wait for it to warm up again. No rain at all for us. It was windy AGAIN yesterday! We played outside, ''Hide and Seek.'' I haven't laid on the ground so much since I was a lot younger :o)

Apple Tree, Famouse, or Snow Apple, as we called it when I was growing up. Makes the best white applesauce and good juice.

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 17, 2010
5:51 AM

Post #7712131

I have a Forsythia that bloomed like crazy. I got it along with a whole bunch of shrubs at a garden center bankruptcy auction.
It is in one of my erosion control rows. Out in the sun & wind & doing great.

Work abounds. We got the porch sheet rocked & first coat of mud on yesterday. I was talking to the people & they decided to do their dining room that they have been thinking about for years. It will involve completely gutting bit, putting in a nice bay window & updating electric. Nice job!

Started planting onions yesterday. The case of Bermudas is in the ground. Then started on Candy Apple Reds.

I am going to work on greenhouse or new pond or plant some Iris. Maybe all!
Bernie
kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 17, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7712344

34*F~above freezing at 6am; that's twice this week and will really put an end to winter. The deep snow is thinning out on the sloping part of the yard and now with the driveway plowed for the last time, it's snow-free for the first time since October.
Yesterday's high was 39*- today's high is supposed to be in mid-40's.
Last night at 10pm, if I'd wanted to go outdoors, it was light enough that a flashlight was not needed.
CG~you do have quite a list of projects-the pond sure sounds great.
bp~I love the photo and looks so inviting and serene.
sunfarm~what a beauty-
ric~wonderful descriptive post:))

Thumbnail by kiska

cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #7712446

Oh Dyson! hahaha.. yes I have tried fried green tomatoes & they weren't bad!
Kelli.. I have only seen a few m-birds here, which is unusual.. but it could still be early. I'll know it's summer when I see a scissor tailed fly catcher... they are only here for the summer & that's too bad as they are beautiful birds. I only hope with the new roads that it hasn't taken away all it's "habitat" as we only get ONE flycatcher!!!!! (probably two, it's mate!). lol
Sunfarm, I LOVE the lilac & especially the butterfly. I was supposed to go on a butterfly field trip today but it got cancelled as we are getting rain.. off & on.. throughout the day.. figures! We are actually in a flood watch as it's going to rain all weekend.. but so far I haven't had too much. I was able to get out to do some gardening, just dead heading.. & there was nothing! Just the humidity! hahahaha Temps are in the 60's for now & tomorrow it's only going to be in the high 50's!!

Marsue.. I love your dog Friday!! I don't care for "Peke's" as they are the "snobs" of the dog world! hahahahaha Friday is so cute! I am posting a picture of my two girls, Sally & Lucy.

Adinamiti, I have been concerned for you since hearing of the volcano erupting in Iceland... stay indoors as much as you can, I hear that volcano dust is dangerous even the tiny particles!

Thumbnail by cindylove

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
8:49 AM

Post #7712530

Hi everyone! Finally got a break, TGFW!!

Love the pics everyone!

I love mockingbirds! When I lived in Modesto, CA I had all 3 types of birds, plus sparrows. My grandfather planted a Golden Delicious Apple Tree in the back yard and every year the blue jays would peck holes in the apples, so he bought a big blow up snake to put in the tree to scare the birds off, well the birds pecked holes in the snake too!

Our weather here is about to change. We've been having highs of 85* all week long, today a cold front is coming down from the north and tomorrow's high is 62*! YIKES!!
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #7712639

HEY Crissyr!!! Welcome back!! it's so good to hear from you!! I have to laugh at your story! That would be so funny to see!! We have a few Blue Jays here & I used to dislike them back home in Canada..but here they are quite pleasant to see as they are pretty.. as I've always thought.. I only disliked them because they were "attack" birds! As Mockingbirds can be.
I also don't care too much for Canada Geese..dirty birds! But.. I don't like them for another reason...one day I saw a "family" of them coming out of a pond, which I thought was adorable..but then.. there was a commotion when another CG came over the rise honking.. the "family" that had just left started honking back.. then all of a sudden one of the adults pecked one of the "babies"..to death!!!! OH I was so upset.. I know it was nature but I didn't know why... until later.. I guessed that the baby goose had been a part of the other "family" & got caught up with this other family, thinking it was it's family, & when the adult realized it wasn't "his" then he killed it! How cruel huh?? ( I hope I've made sense!).

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 17, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #7712677

At least it thinned the blasted things out.
20 years ago they were rare. Then the brilliant DNR thought we needed more. Now the beaches on lakes can not be used. DNR is paying crop damage to farmers. Special hunting seasons to try & thin them out. That don't work.

Planted some of my trees this morning,oh my aching back!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 17, 2010
11:18 AM

Post #7712805

Got out the camera & found these today.
Red tulips.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 17, 2010
11:20 AM

Post #7712808

Purple Tulips not quite open.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 17, 2010
11:21 AM

Post #7712811

Mixed colors in one of the cottage gardens.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 17, 2010
11:24 AM

Post #7712815

Some tulips & daffs in the pond garden. Front of picture will be the new pond.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 17, 2010
11:30 AM

Post #7712832

Iris bed awaiting bloom.
This was Iris from a Bleek co-op in fall of 2008. I bought 2 of every one offered. Also a bunch from plant swap at Southern MN Round Up 2008. I posted a picture somewhere last fall when they were dried up & someone thought they had a disease. Look pretty healthy to me! Bare part is where I took out an old rose bush. I will put more Iris there after Iowa Round Up. (Hope to get some nice ones!)

Back to planting trees.
Bernie

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 17, 2010
11:32 AM

Post #7712838

Bernie, you sound busy. Can you show us the Forsythia?
Sally, what a beautiful apple tree! I can almost see you on the ground, hiding!LOL
Kelli, thanks for starting a new thread. Your pics are beautiful as always. Love that stream!
Ric, that was funny!LOL Poor cat!
Marylyn your roses are gorgeous!
Mau, what an elegant fur cut for Friday! Beautiful rose! The ash cloud doesn't seem to bad here. I haven't heard anything about it on the news, just that the volcano is stil erupting and more clouds are coming towards us.
Pepper, your tulps are so beautiful!
Sun, lovely lilac and great photo of your DD's dog! What's his name?
Celia, love your Forsythia! The sunset is so beautiful!
Jackie, another snow? I hope Spring comes soon at your place. I'm always afraid of the Spring snows...we got one even in May one year!

It's been a lovely day, sunny, but windy. Foggy in the morning.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 17, 2010
11:35 AM

Post #7712845

It's done blooming.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 17, 2010
11:59 AM

Post #7712908

Bernie, great blooms! That's too bad, they are so pretty and cheerful!
Cindy, thanks for caring! It seems the cloud will cross over the northern part of our country and I'm in the south. Still, I've also heard the volcano dust is dangerous. Cute doggies!
Crissy, LOL!
Jackie, what a beautiful view!

I've seen a butterfly too!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2010
12:44 PM

Post #7713010

Bernie, you put me to shame. Here I sit, and look at you! All this work ahead planned.

Kiska, you can join in on the spring pictures soon!! I love how the sky echoes the river peeking thru.

Cindylove, I hope you don't lose your birds either. Beautiful dogs and nice names too :o) We've had the 60's yesterday and today, with wind. Just enough to be annoying.

Crissy, ROTFL over the snake!!

Cindylove, that is a sad story. You are probably right about him being in the wrong family.

Bernie, I'm partial to the deep purple tulip. My aunt Bess gave me bulbs many many years ago. They've never been big multipliers and I try to baby them along. I'd hate to lose them. I love your island beds! Just beautiful! I can't wait to see the iris bloom! Take care of your back!!!

Adina, LOL! I made sure there was enough of me sticking out for a 5 year old to see! I'm glad the ash isn't a problem for you. I've barely been able to keep up with my own life, but DH hollers out the news to me, so I get some of it. Wow, foggy sunrise! Oohhh, how nice that he picked a pretty white bloom!

Well, we took them home and the only noise is the dishwasher :o)

It's almost impossible to get a good picture of them. DH took three, and this was the best one, LOL! Their headbands are what goes around the foam pads they sleep on.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Cumulus79
Londerzeel
Belgium

April 17, 2010
12:50 PM

Post #7713018

Here in Belgium wer'e also affected by the volcanic eruption. Yesterday evening and this morning the whole garden and house was smelling like sulfur. I never thought that I would ever see something like that happening in my country. Also a sky without airplanes is weird, because we live near a very busy air traffic hub with allways more than 15 planes at the same moment in the sky.
The sky colored completely white by ash clouds yesterday, but sometimes it looks nice too like this one:

Thumbnail by Cumulus79

cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
1:00 PM

Post #7713034

Bernie... you are funny! don't get me wrong, I am not laughing at your sore back.. no way.. I have chronic back problems so I can really relate. I am not a tulip lover really.. I guess it's because they don't last long. I love iris' but don't get me started!!!! I only have two in my garden.. I won't go on... argh!! ( hee hee)

Ania.. glad to hear that you are safe..but Cumulous... whoah.. that is scary alright. We too live near an airport (Dallas) & I would be able to relate to all quietness.

Thank you for the complimets on our dogs.. they are our babies of course, as we don't have children. Of course they have us wrapped around their paws!!!! hahahaha
Billy... cute kids... I do work our church daycare ( when I return from sick leave that is)..so there are all ages to look after & it has it's moments... good & bad of course.. but it is always nice to have them go home too! hahahahaha

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #7713144

Planes are few and far between here, too. Sat. is usually a busy flight day. Lots of flights go to Europe from here.

A beautiful, sunny day here. High clouds moving in but still quite warm. Back to the yard!

SOON!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 17, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #7713195

Trees are planted. I put 6 Chokecherry in a row that I planted 2 years ago. That finished that row.
I have a knob hill on the end of the garden that don't grow things very well. I used the trees to finish off a wildlife planting.
19 Chokecherry & 25 Honeysuckle in three rows. It's also very rocky up there, so I picked up lots of loose stones at the same time. I had a good load by the time I finished. The smaller ones will be in the bottom of my stream.

I really have a very good back. It was just a little sore above my hip from the digging. All better now.

Going to dig up a few plants that are in the way for the pond.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #7713296

Adina, the dog in the plum petals is Loretta. It was TieDye napping in the violets. I shall eventually have pictures of Libbie Jean, Sweetie, Pup and Candy, as we have plenty of dogs here since my DD is a vet and is always having animals dropped at her clinic and owners who really don't want them.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 17, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #7713377

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on April 17, 2010
78 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 32%
Dew Point: 46 F
Wind: 10 mph from the SSE

fiesta flower

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 17, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #7713380

For the fans of ferns, here is western bracken fern. These get tall.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 17, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7713382

This area is about as idyllic as it gets, but it is also the poison oak capitol of the universe.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 17, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7713385

Sally, this one's for you, since no one hikes like I do.

Thumbnail by Kelli

cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #7713391

Nice pic Kelli.. I planted some cinnamon fern in containers & hope they will grow.. I wanted something for shade & read that ferns love shade... actually it's dappled shade, under the tree.
Sunfarm... I/we love dogs.. wish we could have more but it's not convienent.
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #7713395

my hiking days are LONG gone! hahahahahahahaha
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 17, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7713418

Cindy, that sounds like a good place for ferns. We have some ferns that came with the house and I was surprised that they would survive in a hot, dry inland place like this. I have to water them, of course, but no more than anything else.

Video of a main street near where I live. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tFDUldB2Jk It's kind of long, so you might want to skip to time 4:30 to see the blooming locust trees, which I think are the highlight. It's mostly residential, so there are colorful flowers 'n' stuff.
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #7713614

I will have to look at that video Kelli.. my mom used to have ferns when I was growing up..they too came with the house & spread all over across the back of the yard.. they were neglected of course but they were pretty.. just plain is all I can say as I don't know my ferns! hahahaha
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #7713665

Coolish with a hgih in the high 60s. Light breeze for a change and not a cloud in the sky today!!

Hockey pic.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7713886

Frost warnings tonight... errrrrr! But expected this time of year.

Bernie the flowers look GREAT!

Kelli we grow Eastern Bracken Fern,
Tough buggers and smaller than yours but there's no such thing as a bad looking fern! lol!
Robyn collects them and we probably have 2 dozen varieties.
6 different Japanese Painted Ferns.
For those of you w/ a bit of shade try Dixie Wood Fern - dryopteris x australis.
A tall fern that will put you in mind of the Ostrich Fern... but doesn't burn out in the late Summer.
Evergreen here.

Ric
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7713977

We have a few Japanese painted ferns... I love them and want to get more! I just finished taking a shower after planting 5 HUGE Japanese holly ferns that I got from another DGer. They look great in front of our house - and I'm so excited to finally find something that will fill that bed and look nice! Yayy! We also have some Boston ferns that another friend gave me a few years ago. Those things are stinkers here... Anyone want some? I don't think they would be a problem in a place that freezes, or they would make great houseplants! - but they spread VERY quickly here when they are in the ground! I bring multiple clumps to every RU in the hopes of spreading the proble- I mean the special-ness. (ahem) At the end of this past RU I had to bring my Boston ferns home again! Can you imagine? I think someone must have warned everyone away. ("Uh-oh... here come Marylyn. Do you see those ferns? STAY away from them!! Really... they'll eat your yard. Take the monkey grass or the ruellia, but STAY AWAY FROM THE FERNS!") (I didn't actually bring any ruellia. LOL)

Cindy, I love cinnamon ferns, too. :-)

It was a beautiful day today! Partly cloudy, breezy, and in the mid 70s. There's a 70% chance of rain tomorrow - I hope it really does! We need it.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:53pm CDT (31 min ago)
Temperature 67 F 19 C
Dew Point 61 F 16 C
Humidity 81%
Pressure 29.94 in 1013.9 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir SSE 150
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility - -
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53pm CDT : 72.0F / 22.2C

Tonight Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 60s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2010
3:14 AM

Post #7714510

I'm going to have to stop spending so much time in my flowerbeds--I get waaaayyy behind here when I don't check in every day. I have read all the posts but I won't comment on everything--just a comment here and there about what I remember without scrolling back up to read them again.
Bernie: lovely flowers and does that piece of farm land across the road belong to you? congrats on the dining room job!
Kelli: love the clarkia and the photo of you in the stream--your feet look cool! LOL The locust trees in the video are pretty in bloom.
Cindy: Sally and Lucy are precious with their grinning faces!
Sally: The DGS's are sooooo cute! It does get quiet when the "grands" go home, doesn't it?
Adina: the butterfly must have been getting a drink from the raindrops because it was on the wrong side of the flower to find nectar! LOL I'm glad the ash isn't all that bad where you live.
Marylyn: I just got a Japanese Painted Fern from Charlotte. I really like the looks of it. Becky is supposed to bring me a cinnamon fern in May at the RU in LA.

It was a lovely day for working in the flowerbeds yesterday. I spent all day outside and now my body is telling me that I am getting too old for this! LOL The weeds have been terrible this season, in spite of the colder winter we had. I've got to come up with another solution other than pulling them by hand. There is about 6 inches of mulch in the front flower beds but the weed seeds float in on the air and take root in the mulch. The house next door was empty for a year until last July and the realtor didn't take care of the yard. The weeds took over and now they have spread to my yard and to my flowerbeds. :o(( Okay, time for me to stop complaining!

We haven't had any rain here but maybe it will rain today--sure hope so--we need it. Y'all have a good day!

Thumbnail by marsue

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2010
3:39 AM

Post #7714525

42 -

Planted four new lily plants for the wife yesterday (got them at home depot) Have two raspberry bushes and some onions to go in today - and five more lilies (just bulbs that I have no experience with).

Details for Sunday, April 18
Mostly sunny. High near 65F. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph.
Evening: Mostly clear. Low 39F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Let me pour a cup of coffee and get started (the raspberries will not take long nor the bulbs which I will just bury and hope, but the onions will take awhile),

Care to all.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #7714599

37 and no frost!

Cumulus, wow, I can't even imagine what it would be like to live anywhere near a volcano. It must be pretty scary at times. The sky without planes is nice. We live between two small airports, but the sky is always full of jet trails. Only once has it been totally empty, except for the president and his two accompanying planes. I love the mares tails!

Thanks Cindylove, kids can be trying and I get used to the quiet around here. The three year old has picked up the annoying ''why?'' I get to where I just repeat the answer because it's the right answer and there are no more answers! LOL!

Celia, gorgeous unopened blooms. You have an eye for photos and your camera is a very good one. I love your close-ups! I'm glad spring is really coming!

Bernie, what exactly is a knob hill? I've heard the word. The birds will sure appreciate the area. It's going to be beautiful when all blooms. Isn't it great to have natural resources! I have little stones and they get set aside to just ring little plantings. I'm glad you have a good back.

Sunfarm, how wonderful to be able to give the dogs a home and yayyy for your vet daughter!! Can't wait to see the rest of the ''family!"

Kelli, love Fiesta Flower! It's a beautiful color! I grew up with the mediocre midsized ferns. I also have them, but I like them. I absolutely love that picture and I would end up covered in poison oak before I knew it!

Oh Kelli ~ ~ ~ ~ back!! I love it!!! Wet shoes and all! LOL! I've got a big smile now! With my new speed, I can finally watch you- tube. I loved the video! Your area is beautiful and the trees are eyecatching gorgeous!

Pepper, there's a tense excitement in that picture!

Ric, I hope you woke up to no frost. We had an advisory and now that it's light, I don't see anything droopy out there. I'd love to see the Japanese varieties! I have yet to get the tallest fern. Not a good place for them yet.

Marylyn, pictures! They sound wonderful! Giggling over the special ferns :o) ROTFL now!! I hope rain is coming your way. We look dry for another while.

Marsue, laughing, see answer to Cindylove above! Well, that's how I end up with all the dandelions, plus the country weeds I can't identify. Each year it's something new. Your work has paid off, it's a lovely bed and the color so far is nice!

Dyson, you must be feeling pretty good. I'm glad you can get out and play in the dirt! I hope some of the lilys bloom this summer. Now that you found the camera you can take pictures!

It should be a pretty nice day. The wind usually dies down and Sunday just seem to be a whole 'nother day of the week.

There is a hump in the birdbath for smaller birds. A little finch was just splashing away!

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 18, 2010
5:53 AM

Post #7714718

Knob hill: Right where we are is rolling hills because of a creek going through. The glaciers formed it years ago. On top of these small hills, the top soil is basically sand/gravel. Also heavy clay subsoil, very close to the surface. Not much for growing crops. Farmers fields have poor crops on tops of the hills. The hilltops dry out fast.
Our little hill was a stop over for Indians many moons ago. We find rocks that are made for grinding or like shovels. Very interesting!
Not our field. That farmer has 480 acres of this rolling hill land. The farm site we bought is off of a 160 farm. Same kind of land. The people the farm this farm, look for about 70% of a crop compared to the best farmland in this area. Still means big yields.

Dug out some plants last evening, so got to go get them in pots this morning. Some Iris I am going to plant in the Iris bed.

Later we are off to pick up siding for DD house & get trim for the job we are working on.

Bernie
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7714767

No frost last night... it was 37 when I got up but has dropped to 34 currently.

Looks like that Finch was going to Town!

Seems we may have a glitch in putting the siding up on the Sewing Room.
I hung a Grape Vine Wreath up to get it out of the way.
Finches have found it and are attempting to build a nest... if so we'll wait...

The Japanese Ferns ARE lovely.
The bad thing is that it is hard to get a 'true' shot of the colors.
I guess a lot of it is lighting conditions.
I'll see what I can do.

Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 18, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #7714912

39 was the low here.
Everything beautiful today in the bright sun.
Going for 65'
Working on the pond area.
Do rocks gain weight ? Seem a lot heavier than when I put them in 20 years ago.
No wonder beds are overgrown. Started this thing in 1982!

Off to the big town. May buy a tiny tiller. Earthquake mini that's only $149. Also need potting soil for in greenhouse.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2010
8:57 AM

Post #7715074

Dyson: good luck with getting those onions planted!
Sally: that little bird is surely creating a big splash!
Ric: I went out and counted the Big Dipper pups this morning--I now have 10 of them coming up! :o))) Are those goldfinches that found the wreath or house finches?
Bernie: I need to borrow that 'tiny tiller'! LOL I think everything is heavier when one gets older! LOL again!

We are heading for a high of 70F. 10% chance of rain today. 50% tonight. We need the rain.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2010
9:32 AM

Post #7715139

LOL Thought you all would like that story, there are many many more stories of things my grandfather used to do, just to see what would happen if...

He loved gardening and had a small veggie garden in the back and my grandmother had 3 large flowerbeds full of miscellaneous what-not. He decided he was going to grow two beefsteak tomato plants and see how big he could get the tomatoes to grow, so he fed one with Miracle-Gro and fed the other with something else that was just as popular but didn't have the rep, I forgot what now. Well, the tomato plant with the plant food that I can't remember grew these nice, flavorful, big beefsteak tomatoes. The plant with Miracle-Gro grew one extremely big, nice, red, flavorful beefsteak! I don't know where the pictures have gone to, but that was literally the biggest tomato I have ever seen to this day. It was a great conversation piece too!

Hi Cindy!! Nice to see you Kelli!

Cumulus nice pics of all that ash coming from Iceland! WOW!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2010
11:46 AM

Post #7715388

Another beautiful day here. We're outside playing!

75 for the high today and I hope we make it. Partly cloudy.

This fellow checked out the feeder then caught a thermal and headed west.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #7715463

Neat hawk! We had one in our front yard nail a blue jay yesterday afternoon, but I did not have the camera handy to record it. I just found a few feathers in the grass when I went out to investigate. The hawk was small--maybe a sparrow hawk. Is that a Cooper's or sharp-shinned in your picture?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #7715477

Not sure what it is. It's not a sharp-shinned. It might be a juvenile Goshawk or...? I have it in the Bird ID. We'll see what the experts say.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 18, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7715956

For the first time in months, the temp is now at 50*F~cold days are gone and the snow will be, too.
great photos~

Thumbnail by kiska

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2010
4:22 PM

Post #7716062

High in the high 60s and sunny til a couple hours ago. Then clouds started moving in and cooling down.

Got 2 rows of potatoes and 2 rows of onions planted. Put leftovers in grow bags. Need to get my maters in the ground but have to get this nylon trellis thing put up first and my stakes for it are too short.

Another hockey pic. LOL. I have a ton of them since irises aren't blooming yet.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #7716387

Pepper, I never said thank you! Thank you!

Here those blooms are open. Weeping peach, 'Crimson Cascade'.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7716402

The bird IS a sharp-shin, BTW.

The whole silly tree. I need to make it grow UP not OUT!!! LOL

Thumbnail by kwanjin

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 18, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #7716517

First Iris in bloom here today. Very early!

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #7716701

That IS early Bernie!
Ours aren't far behind though.

Car is fixed.
A stupid 20 dollar part... that meant taking about 1/2 the top of the engine off to fix...
OK I'm exaggerating but it did take an hour just to get to the part.
And that by a mechanic! It would have taken me 2 hours.
It's a sensor that sets the fuel to air ratio and the spark.
So the car's now running right.

Here's our Azalea.
Just an old heirloom form the 1940's that blooms it's heart out every year.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2010
2:21 AM

Post #7717162

Nice pic rick - Used to be able to replace a starter in an hour or less - last one I had to replace was a half day project because of all the stuff that had to be removed to get to it - progress (keeping the technicians (remember when they were mechanics?) employed).

Details for Monday, April 19
Sunny. High around 70F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Evening: A few passing clouds. Low 42F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7717622

Celia: great detail on the photo of the hawk--you can almost count the feathers! Nice crimson cascade!
Kiska: woohoo--you hit 50F!!
Pepper: iris are prettier that hockey players! LOL
Bernie: my iris just started blooming, too! Is that yellow one a miniature?
Ric: one of these days it is going to take a master's degree to work on vehicles! At least it was only a $20.00 part but what about the charge for labor? Beautiful azalea!
Dyson: your temps are about the same as ours. Did you get those onions planted?

Today: (It rained briefly this morning but barely enough to wet the sidewalk. We need a good, slow steady drizzle all day, but it looks as if the front has moved out.)
Mostly cloudy with temperatures warming rapidly into the mid to upper 60s. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.
AM Showers
High
70 F
Precip: 60%
Tonight
Partly Cloudy
Low
44 F
Precip: 10%

This is my latest tippy pot plant stand which I just put together yesterday. I need another pot to put beneath the watering can. Either that or I can hammer the pole further into the ground. I just have the watering can balanced on the top but I need to find a way to hang it up there more permanently. I didn't want to put a hole in the bottom of it to slide over the pole. This stand is in my shade garden so I planted it with impatiens and columbines.

Thumbnail by marsue

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #7717633

The onions, Raspberry and Lily plants are in the soil, The lily bulbs go in this morning.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
7:04 AM

Post #7717696

We actually joked about the labor involved.
Had they allowed just 1/4" more clearance it would have been a 15 minute job.
My take is the cheaper the part the harder the repair.
Have to make money somewhere...
In their defense it was a 8 dollar part back when the car was new and had 140,000 miles on it so...

Dyson we had an old 70's LTD and the starter went out... in 18" of snow...
We had one bolt 4" long... threaded the whole way... no way to get a socket in...
1/4 turn at a time w/ a wrench... took over an hour for that one bolt.
Before I replaced it I ground the threads off except the first and last 3/4".
Took me 10 minutes to throw the whole starter back in...

Here's a closeup of the Azalea

Thumbnail by henryr10

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2010
7:28 AM

Post #7717759

Very pretty!! I love Azaleas. Nice pic of that hawk Celia. Awesome!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2010
8:11 AM

Post #7717887

60.7 F with 76 for the high. Woo hoo!!! Going to be in the sun again today.
Clear
Humidity: 29%
Dew Point: 28 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 29.91 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

I did this yesterday. Vines will be planted to grow up the trellis.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2010
8:23 AM

Post #7717922

Ric, I'm amazed that your azaleas are blooming already. Mine are still in tight buds. Here's a pretty violet I found. No frost this morning--just down to 34 degrees.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2010
9:32 AM

Post #7718144

56 - Bulbs are planted - have to go move furniture (yes that is what triggered the heart attack last month). Mom is too old to move it.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #7718166

Take care, Dyson!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2010
10:29 AM

Post #7718313

Son-in-Law will handle the moving. Wife decided after the truck was loaded at the store.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 19, 2010
3:31 PM

Post #7718968

OK, I posted last night and my post isn't here...grrr! Oh, well, I'l have to catch up with you later..sigh.
It rained tonight and the temps have dropped to 50.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #7719244

Good thinking on your wife's part, Dyson!

Adina: that is so frustrating to think you have posted something and then find that it is not on the thread. You did post on Cubits, though, so maybe that is what you were thinking?

It's been a lovely day here. Rain very early but then it cleared off and the temp didn't get higher than the high 60's with a gentle breeze. I worked in the flower beds for about 4 hours--digging up and separating some plants and getting them potted up for our RU in May. got it all done--for now.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 19, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #7719324

I see that last fall when I dug up and sold some surplus burgundy iris, I also dug up and sent away my "Best Bet". Bummer.

Celia, I love the weeping peach.

Updated: 4:51 PM PDT on April 19, 2010
73 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 38%
Dew Point: 46 F
Wind: 10 mph from the WNW

some stuff in the yard

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 19, 2010

Post #7719325

"Love"

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 19, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #7719330

"Mister Lincoln"

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 19, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #7719333

"Brandy"

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #7719360

Lovely Kelli!!
What's the pink flower in the first photo?
No where I've ever visited and I've been to 46 States has roses like Southern California.
You're are perfect!

Wise Move Dyson... ;-)

Cool here today but no breeze so perfect.
Made a run to Lowe's... punished the car and it did perfectly!.
Started on the shelf and storage units in the Workshop.
Tomorrow I'll do the built ins.
Robyn's replacing the front walk.
The guy who built it didn't use pressure treated lumber so it's rotted out.
Just a simple walk should be done tomorrow.

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7719451

High in the 70s with cloudless skies.

Worked outside in the greenhouse all day and I can tell cause my head hurts. LOL. Tomorrow I will have my hat with me. I did have my sunglasses today so my eyes didn't hurt.

Sweet Tea huechera

Thumbnail by pepper23

cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7719454

Kelli I love your beautiful Mr. Lincoln Roses! Also I like those lovely blooming heirloom azaleas grown by Henryr10. Those azaleas have the brightest color next to the brick wall.
Well now, we continue our fabulous weather here in northwestern Missouri. I'm enjoying the most gorgeous spring we've had in a long time. Lilacs, fruit trees, flowers, etc. are opened up and stunning to see. Hope everyone is having a great day in there neck of the woods!!
Cuckoo

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 19, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7719468

Moved a couple ton of dirt & need lots more! This is going on the top. It was dirt left from the house addition.
Going to use this part of the old pond as a top pool where the pump will put the water to start it's way down the stream.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #7719481

Nice idea Bernie!
Good start going there!

Ric
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #7719501

What a project...but it's already looking very nice! Like those rocks and looks like all different kinds. How's the weather going up north today? It's so splendid here I can hardly believe it.
Cuckoo

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7719514

Looking great Bernie!!

Hi Cuckoo!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7719565

great photos, Kelli! Beautiful flowers, all. Love the "love" rose! You sent me an iris but it didn't have a name on it. It is getting ready to bloom and I will take a pic when it does and post it here. Maybe you sent your missing iris to me? If so, I will certainly send it back to you. The amaryllis is getting ready to bloom, too. :o))
Ric: it seems that you and Robyn always have a project going!
Pepper: Sweet Tea is nice!
Cuckoo: sounds like lovely weather, indeed!
Bernie: I'm starting to get jealous of all you folk with water features! LOL I love the sound of water flowing softly over the rocks--so soothing.

My front sidewalk and front porch flower beds and pots All that green to the right is not grass--it is Oertel's Rose Yarrow. It will put up stalks with pinkish blooms that turn white as they mature.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2010 8:40 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7719568

Say Pepper...? What about this weather we are experiencing? It's been nice now for a long time. Cuckoo
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 19, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7719611

Thanks, Ric and Cuckoo. The pink flower is elegant clarkia.

No, Marilyn, the iris I sent you was from a different part of the yard. It is either the burgundy (may be "Indian Chief") or "Jumping". I have the burgundy ones all over the place.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 19, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7719694

All the rocks came out of our field or a few from neighboring farm.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
9:15 PM

Post #7720003

Nice to be in rock country eh Bernie!
Wish I had the farm equipment you have.
We'd be putting in 2 ton boulders! lol!

Ric
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2010
3:03 AM

Post #7720226

Warmer this morning at 43 -

Details for Tuesday, April 20
A mix of clouds and sun this morning followed by increasing clouds with showers developing this afternoon. High around 70F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
Evening: Considerable cloudiness with occasional rain showers. Low 49F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

My strawberry plants (50 ea) shipped yesterday (Nourse) FED-EX will be here tomorrow.

I need to go to the DR tomorrow and see if I can go back to work.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2010
4:39 AM

Post #7720312

Marilyn, Please send some of that rain our way. The radar showed a few showers had reached southern Kentucky this morning, but we need it up here!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #7720339

40. I see a trend here, LOL! It's going to be in the 70's with more sun than yesterday. I'll be able to wear short sleeves today, and sunscreen. I think I forgot to hit send on my post yesterday! Well, I'll have to go the short version on answers.

Bernie, knob hill, interesting but not good for planting! I do believe rocks and flower clumps gain much weight!

Chrissy, I love stories about the old folk!

Celia, neat hawk picture! No, weeping shape is cool and the blossoms are gorgeous!

Pepper, hockey blossoms :o)

Bernie, nothing so cheery as red tulips!

Ric, good to have the car fixed and a beautiful azalea! Isn't that a groaner on the car. 15 minutes. My Dad would say you got the goody out of that part :o) Wow, what a brilliant idea on the bolt!

Marsue, your tippy pot is cute!

Dyson, another job down!

Celia, I wish I had a nice wall as a backdrop. What vines have you decided on?

Sunfarm, aren't simple things best sometimes? The violets are so pretty. I have those and the purple and they cheer me up to see them.

Dyson, I'm glad someone else was available to move furniture!

Oh Kelly! If I had Best Bet I'd give you some. Nice color in your yard! Yor roses are gorgeous!!! I had Mr Lincoln and it frittered away, to death, over the few years I had it. So that's how it could have looked, sigh!

Pepper, 70's. we're livin the good life now! Never leave home without your hat!! Love the huchera and it's name!

Cuckoo, I'll bet it's gorgeous everywhere! Our lilacs are just opening and I want to run into everyone's yard and smell each one :o)

Bernie, I love works in progress and I can't wait to see it finished! It will be a job to do, but a job well done! Wow, are those the rocks you picked up? Questioned answered. I'd never get tired of seeing what I dug up next.

Marsue, how beautiful! The colors go well with your brick and it's so peaceful!

Dyson, you're getting it all in before the rain. That's always nice! Enjoy your time off. It will be over all too soon.

I watered the garden yesterday and can only hope we'll get rain later this week. Today is going to be one of those perfect spring days. The plants that are up are clean, untorn and perky. Yes perky! It's light out and I'm going to get dressed and get my walk in early. I have a lot to do while it's not too hot or cold!! Whoo Hoo! Winter is over!

I decided to move this small Cup Plant from beside the compost pile. I dug... and dug... and dug . I finally dug out beside it and was trying to jab the shovel under it to cut the root that was holding it. Talk about feeling old and unhandy. Then I wrestled and wrestled it out of the hole. It sat for two days while I decided whether to keep it. It took about 10 minutes to wrangle a chunk off to replant and planted the main chunk across the road.

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #7720450

Dyson: I hope you get a good report at the Dr.'s tomorrow! Go back to work?--sounds like you have already "gone back to work"!!
Sally: that is some big root ball! What kind of plant is that?

# Today: Plentiful sunshine. High 74F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Low near 45F. Winds light and variable.
Not much chance of rain till Saturday--wouldn't you know? That is the day a bunch of us from the Mid-South are meeting at Randolph's Nursery in Jackson, TN for a plant shopping frenzy, lunch and lots of good fellowship! Maybe it won't be raining over there. They usually get our weather the next day.
edited to add: more reports of "earthquakes in diverse places" this morning. hhhhmmmm???

noid iris

This message was edited Apr 20, 2010 7:46 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7720602

Kelli I absolutely LOVE your flowers!! Very very nice, and CA roses are the best, hands down!

Ric my goal in life, since I was about 10, is to visit all 50 states in the Nation before I die. 46 is awesome, which ones have you not been to?

I'm about to go visit and dig into my work, so I'll catch ya'll in a bit!

I don't know about the rain Mau, Channel 16 said last night that there is 30% chance rain Wednesday, 60% chance Thursday, 60% chance Friday with possible strong storms, and 30% Saturday. They can't predict it while it's happening, and every channel and internet page says something different, and they all get their info from NOAA, that's what's hilarious!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #7720631

Here are some pics I took yesterday.

http://picasaweb.google.com/christinepix/20100419#
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #7720647

I've not been to HI, AK which is funny because I've been to BC, MN and ID...

Hmmmm think I just saw a Hummer!
BBL...
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #7720670

Sunny & Bright

Watered lightly as it is supposed to rain later and the radar shows it to the SW.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 20, 2010
7:22 AM

Post #7720690

26*F
We did get up to 50*F, once, yesterday's high was 43*F, not the 50 forecast. There's still snow on the ground and nothing green. That will change dramatically; once it starts it happens very fast.
Can't begin to tell you how pretty all the blooms are-hockey are my favorite:))
The pond project will be wonderful, CG.

Thumbnail by kiska

cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #7721548

Wow.. we have a group of busy beavers!! I cna't keep up! hahaha... way to go folks!
Kelli.. I LOVE your roses.. I have some too.. I lost my "Brandy" ( sounds like I lost my liquer!!! hahaha) a few yrs ago & it was one of my fav's!! I am having problems with blackspot right now.. my current fav rose Double Delight has had it the worse.. it looks almost naked now! I have a "Don Juan" (climber) a rink one & a white one & Montezuma( an orange one).. I can't remember the names of the pink & white! hahaha

Marsue.. it's too bad you can't kill your weeds with vinegar without affecting the plants too!!
Marylyn_TX.. if you are going to the Arlington RU May 2 I will know it's you when I see nothing but ferns!!! hahahahaha

I was happy to notice my seedlings are starting to peek through. I also notice my Angel Trumpet doesn't look too well!
We got 1.5 inches of rain over the weekend..some areas got more. It is now in the 70's, after being in the 50-60 range.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 20, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #7721685

The Mister Lincoln rose bush is old, probably over 40 years old. The woman next door said that most of the landscaping that was here when we moved here was put in when the house was new.

Kiska, do you get tired of looking at all of that white for so long? I think two or three weeks would be enough for me. I have to have some color.

Marylyn, I have a Boston fern as a houseplant. It barely muddles along here in the land of no humidity. I didn't know they could grow outside beyond the tropics.

We are having some wind and a little bit of drizzle right now but not enough to even drip off the roof yet.

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on April 20, 2010
60 F
Overcast
Humidity: 67%
Dew Point: 49 F
Wind: 12 mph from the South

This is a kalanchoe (actually, three in one pot) that I got for Thanksgiving and it is reblooming now.

Thumbnail by Kelli

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2010
2:07 PM

Post #7721720

I just realized that I have been to half the states, 25 of them! Let's see...

CA, OR, ID, NV, AZ, UT, WY, CO, NM, TX, OK, KS, NE, SD, MO, AR, LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, NC, TN, KY, HI

Woo Hoo!! I'm half way there and approx half my life is over. I need to get on the stick I suppose...
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 20, 2010
2:23 PM

Post #7721763

Well, I had to count, too, and was surprised to come up with 32, including places where all I did was change planes.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2010
4:10 PM

Post #7722069

67 - The rain is almost here.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7722076

Forgot the pic -

Thumbnail by Dyson

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #7722169

The only state east of the Mississippi I haven't been to is Vermont. West of the Mississippi, I haven't been to Minnesota, North or South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Hawaii, or Alaska. So I've been in 37. I've only been in Arizona long enough to change planes in Tucson, and I slept through Kansas as we were driving through, so they only sort of count. LOL

After a very rainy weekend, it's really nice again here. We had a "cold front" come through... It wasn't very cold! Today we're back up in the upper 70s.

I started typing this about 2 1/2 hours ago and got distracted. Oops!

Kelli, your roses are gorgeous! I hope you didn't send ALL of your 'Best Bet' irises away! Yep, Boston ferns love it here. They die back over the winter, but they pop right back up again when it warms up.

LOL Cindy! I wish I could go to the Arlington RU. Some year... I want to go to the Jacksonville one sometime, too. They both look like fun. :-)

Ric, I'm drooling over your azaleas!! We just got 4 pink ones from the RU. I'm hoping I can keep them alive now.

Dyson, I'm glad your son in law moved the furniture for you. Yayy for strawberries!

Bernie, your pond is going to look great! Maybe you need to do some more house remodeling, so you can get more dirt? LOL

Marilyn, I LOVE those tippy pots!! I have liked the idea since I first saw them, and I particularly love your colored pots with the watering can on top. Perfect!!

Charles is home, so I need to get dinner. Talk to you peeps soon!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 5:53pm CDT (60 min ago)
Temperature 76 F 24 C
Dew Point 55 F 13 C
Humidity 48%
Pressure 29.93 in 1013.4 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir WNW 300
Ceiling 5000 ft 1524 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 78 F 26 C
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 60.1F / 15.6C

Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 50s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7722282

Weather here today was great!! Clouds came in this afternoon so I didn't need my hat or sunglasses. LOL. High in the low 70s with a breeze. Of course at work there's always a breeze. It's like a wind tunnel there.

I've been to IA, IL, KY, OK, KS, NE, SD, ND, Minn, Mont, WY, NM, AZ, CA, OR, WA, ID, NV, TX and Indiana. Only 2 western states I haven't been to are Utah and Colorado. Haven't been past the eastern MO border states yet or down south.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7722494

Well the Sewing Room and Porch GH are empty.
Work Bench is about complete.
Tomorrow we'll start tackling the roof GH.

The Silver Maple leafed out at an unbelievable rate.
Amazing how in one week the Backyard went from full sun to shade.

No rain here till at least Friday.

Our neighbor's dogs got out for the third time this week.
Our dog went nuts and wants a piece of them...lol!
I walked out our back gate and the smaller one headed at me w/ murder in her heart.
She's maybe a 20 pound Jack cross.
I yelled right at her to get her butt home.
She kept on coming but their Rottie turned tail and ran for it's gate.
The little bugger kept coming.
I turned sideways, pointed straight at her and in my 'construction voice' said 'NOW! and pointed toward their house.
She dug a skid mark patch stopping, turned and beat feet home...lol!
I went over later and beefed up their gate latch.
The 130 pound Rott was just pushing it w/ his head and springing it.

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 21, 2010
3:31 AM

Post #7723284

Ric, that was close! Lucky you had your "construction voice "with you!LOL
Crissy, your garden looks great! Wonderful irises!
Sally, I was wondering too, what is that plant? You sure had a fight with her!LOL I have something similar here, but I was thinking it's a weed...has very deep roots too!
Kelli, those roses and th ekalanchoes are beautiful!
Mau, your irises are blooming too! What earthquakes? Love the colored pots pyramid, so cute!

The rain has stopped and the sun is shining, yeaaah! I got my hanging geraniums out on the balconies. I hope the wind won't break them.
This is a sunset from 2 days ago.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2010
4:19 AM

Post #7723337

Details for Wednesday, April 21
Cloudy with showers. Thunder possible. High 69F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
Evening: Clear to partly cloudy. Low 46F. Winds light and variable.

Currently still raining

When last checked the strawberry plants had made it to Salem, Va. (20 - 30 Mi. away).

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2010
4:55 AM

Post #7723395

45 and it's light enough to see clouds.

Marsue, it's a cup plant. They get about 10' tall with sunflower blooms. The real reason I have it is the leaves clasp all the way around, forming a cup that really holds water for small birds. It's a bit on the wild side and spreads where it's happy. Sitting on the edge of the compost made it pretty happy! I also kept it, because for the first time ever, I had an Angelwing/Comma butterfly on it. That's a beautiful delicate color on the iris!

Chrissy, I love your slideshows! All beautiful pictures!!

Ric, ROTFL over your BBL!!

Aahhh Kiska, a beautiful break in the ice!

Cindylove, that's a nice rain!

Kelli, the kalanchoe are gorgeous! I love the three in one!

Wow, a lot of you really travel for one reason or another!

Ric, your projects keep rolling on! ROTFL at mighty mite and the rot! You sound like DH. It's easier to fix something than to mention it sometimes.

Adina, I love your sky photos! You have the perfect open space for a good view!

Dyson, hope your strawberries come before the rain.

We have a slight chance for occasional showers today, but a better chance over the next couple of days. I'll be weeding again.

Cup Plant blooms and Angelwing butterfly

Thumbnail by billyporter

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2010
5:14 AM

Post #7723441

Been raining half the night, starting to taper off, should be finished soon.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2010
8:34 AM

Post #7724000

53.3 F with 70 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 43 F
Wind: 5.0 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 14.0 mph
Pressure: 29.58 in (Steady)
Clouds: Few 1800 ft
Scattered Clouds 3500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

I had minor surgery yesterday. I'll catch up later.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2010
10:14 AM

Post #7724266

Cindy: I finally resorted yesterday to using spray-on weed killer but I got down real close to the weeds and just sprayed them and the wind wasn't blowing while I was spraying. Having to hand pull all those weeds would have taken me days and been hard on my back! I don't like to use weed killer but it was them or me and I chose my own welfare over theirs. LOL
Crissy: love your photos of your flowers, etc. They are doing great! I'll trade you a Gentle Giant Daffodil bulb for one of those yellow iris rhizomes. I was going to count how many states I have been in but I can't find my atlas. I know I have been in or through every one of the southern states from the east coast to the west coast and also in PA, NJ, NY, plus all the states from LA straight up to MN and also in SD, WY, Montana, Colorado and Kansas. That's a bunch but I don't have a count. Took me 60 plus years to get around to all of that. One of these days I'll make it a point to find my atlas so I can count them all. LOL I would like someday to drive from CA up the west coast all the way to Alaska. Have to find me a traveling companion first. Preferably a rich one! LOL
Kelli: I love the kalanchoe and the different colors. I would buy one for myself but I really don't need another house plant.
Ric: that dog recognized a true pack leader when he saw one!
Pepper: I see the hockey team is still "blooming" LOL
Adina: nice photo of the clouds. the earthquakes I mentioned were very minor and showed up in places where they don't normally have
earthquakes. I can't remember now where they were. Oops!
BP: thanks for the info on the yellow flower--nice pic of the Cup Plant/butterfly!
Dyson: glad you got some rain--if you needed it, that is!
Celia: At least the surgery was minor. Get better soon!

Another lovely day here though a bit warm. Currently 78F on my back porch!

Here's a link to my flower pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/Spring2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCM3YtdqY-5uLUA#

More noid Iris

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #7725169

Gee, Celia, keeping us hanging... Nice quail picture.

Cloudy and chilly today. We got 0.03" of rain yesterday and about a micron today.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on April 21, 2010
55 F
Light Rain
Humidity: 59%
Dew Point: 41 F
Wind: 8 mph from the ESE

Thumbnail by Kelli

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #7725323

Dyson, I hope the rain was just what you needed. There was so much dirt flying around here today, someone is going to get a good rain.

Celia! I hope your minor surgery was nothing too painful. You know I adore that picture! Does he only have one leg?

Marsue, we're all guilty of having to use weed spray. Sometimes you have no choice. ROTFL over the rich traveling companion. Amen! I loved the slideshow. What gorgeous blooms!

Kelli, a micron is more than I got today. It popcorned all around us. Love the African Violet!

As I said, the dirt just blew today. It was 80, but not warm at all. I re-potted tomatoes and tried to weed before the dirt drove me in. Now I'm all showered shampooed and in my flannel jammie pants. It's dropped to 68 and still breezy.

Sunrise from this morn!

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2010
5:05 PM

Post #7725365

Celia, hope you are on the mend and will be back to feeling well soon. Today was gorgeous here. Wish I didn't have to spend a lot of it in doctors' waiting rooms! At least my checkups went well, though I am tired from the drive to and from the Big City. Redbuds and dogwoods were beautiful, though I didn't want to risk taking my camera and leaving it in the car.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7725508

Mau what lovely pictures!
Your yard is looking very nice.
That Jacob's Ladder is especially striking!

Celia hope you have a quick recovery!

Another clear and warm day.
We're hitting the upper 60's/ low 70's now.
Way too warm still!
Maybe some rain by tomorrow morning. Better chance overnight tomorrow.
Then we may hit about 5 days of on/off again rain...
Funny ti be needing rain this early in the year.

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7725569

Cool today and cloudy. Never left the 60s and there was scattered showers around us most of the day. Never got a drop though.

Queen of the Prarie coming up.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #7725752

Went to the doctors office today - I am cleared to return to work. I will start on Monday.

Took the wife to Red Lobster for dinner on the way home. When we got back to the house there was a box on the front porch - 50 Strawberry plants - can anyone guess what I am going to be planting tomorrow (weather permitting)?

It is dark - good night all.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7725992

I am still a bit tired so I'll keep it brief. I won't go into details here. Crissy knows what happened and can vouch it isn't anything major. Hence, the "miner" procedure. :-) The deed was done, 2 stitches and on my way home. The anesthesia is what makes me overly tired for a couple of days.

Mau, that's my dwarf weeping cherry. My first tree planted in this yard and she blooms abundantly without fail every year.

Weeping peach in full bloom today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2010
3:19 AM

Post #7726389

My cherry blossoms have faded but I have pea-sized fruit coming along. Hope I don't have to "donate" them all to the birds this year!

Thumbnail by sunfarm

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2010
3:54 AM

Post #7726428

43 and I can just see shapes and white birdbaths.

Dyson, good news! It means you're heart is OK! Isn't it funny how things always seem to be waiting for you :o)

Celia, glad it's just stitches and not a cast. The color on your cherry tree is so perfect!

Sunfarm, sweet or sour?

''They,'' are talking rain, if the warm front comes thru to deliver the moisture. I've heard that before. I think I'll water today.

Wind beneath my wings

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #7726567

BP: Now that I know you use weed killer, too, I won't feel guilty anymore! LOL I'm glad you enjoyed my slide show. I suppose the closest a human can come to "the wind beneath my wings" would be a hang glider--but I think I'll pass on that. I have been parasailing (20+ years ago) and once was enough! LOL
Kelli: pretty violets. The Mead's Strain amaryllis has a bloom stalk coming up!
KY Sally: glad the checkups went well!
Ric: glad you liked my photos, too. We are supposed to get rain/thunderstorms Friday night and they will probably head your way. See the report below.
Pepper: no rain here, either.
Celia: so glad it was limited to a couple of stitches! Why don't "they" name the "weeping" trees "fountain" trees instead. It would be a much nicer image than "weeping" LOL as in "Dwarf Fountain Cherry". :o))

I came across this from the NWS. What a bummer--this does not bode well for our trip to Jackson, TN to Randolph's Nursery on Saturday! Some of us Mid-South Folk are taking the annual trek to Rita's nursery for container plants. Should be fun if the weather cooperates.

...SEVERE WEATHER POSSIBLE FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT...THEN A MAJOR
SEVERE WEATHER OUTBREAK EXPECTED SATURDAY...

A COMPLEX WEATHER SITUATION IS UNFOLDING FOR FRIDAY AND SATURDAY.
A WARM...MOIST...AND UNSTABLE AIRMASS WILL OVERTAKE THE MIDSOUTH
FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THIS UNSTABLE AIRMASS IN COMBINATION WITH
STRENGTHENING WIND SHEAR COULD CAUSE SOME SEVERE STORMS TO DEVELOP
LATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND PERSIST THROUGH LATE FRIDAY EVENING.
THE UNCERTAINTY OF FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT HINGES ON WHETHER AN
UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE CAN TRIGGER THUNDERSTORMS. HOWEVER...ANY
THUNDERSTORM THAT MANAGES TO DEVELOP DURING THIS TIME HAS A GOOD
CHANCE OF BECOMING SEVERE WITH DAMAGING WINDS AND LARGE HAIL GIVEN
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS.
THE SEVERE THREAT INCREASES MARKEDLY SATURDAY AS A RAPIDLY
STRENGTHENING SURFACE LOW TRACKS FROM SOUTH TEXAS TO SOUTHERN
ILLINOIS. A MAJOR SEVERE WEATHER OUTBREAK IS LIKELY TO UNFOLD
BY LATE SATURDAY MORNING ACROSS MOST OF THE MIDSOUTH. THE BEST
CHANCE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS SATURDAY WILL BE ALONG AND EAST OF
THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER. EVEN STRONGER WIND SHEAR AND A CONTINUATION
OF UNSTABLE CONDITIONS COULD PRODUCE TORNADOES...LARGE HAIL...AND
WIDESPREAD WIND DAMAGE WITH STORMS. FLASH FLOODING WILL ALSO BE
POSSIBLE.
THE BEST WINDOW FOR SEVERE WEATHER WILL BE FROM 4 PM TO MIDNIGHT
FRIDAY...AND FROM 10 AM TO 7 PM SATURDAY.

Friday licking his chops after chewing on a rawhide.

Thumbnail by marsue

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2010
6:00 AM

Post #7726581

55F - Clear and Bright - Strawberry plants await.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2010
6:02 AM

Post #7726588

Friday snuggles! LOL So cute...

The name given for that little cherry is supposedly, "Snow Fountain." I got the runt of the litter as this tree is listed as being 12'-15'. It's topped out at just under 4'.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7726623

LOL, Celia! I'll say you got the "runt of the litter"! It is still pretty, though, and I like the name of "Snow Fountain"! :o))
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2010
11:42 AM

Post #7727554

The cherries are tart enough for pies and jam, but not so tart you can't eat them right off the tree. I don't know what variety they are as they are volunteers from three old trees that were in the front yard when we bought the place. We transplanted 10 to the garden area beside the house four years ago.

Please send your severe weather in another direction, Marilyn. We need rain but not with such baggage.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #7727642

We need the rain, too, but also without the threat of tornadoes, etc.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #7727919

73 - Bright, Sunny, Clear -

Cut the grass where I need to put the strawberries - will till in the morning. Kinda tired but not hurting.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 22, 2010
4:41 PM

Post #7728206

34*--mixed, mostly snow, rain.
ric~such a close call w/dogs. Scary.
Marsue~hope the forecast is wrong-miserable driving condidtions. Friday is as cute as ever.
kelli~there's snow on the ground from October-April; it seems so "natural" that I don't give it much thought. Summer is great, but to me, it seems more like a lull in between winters.
Dyson~Glad you're doing well and feeling good enough to be doing yardwork.
hi to all as I'm way behind today.

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7728361

Kiska: does the squirrel eat out of Frank's hand?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #7728393

High of 60s today and rain most of the day. Still raining in fact. lol. Tomorrow chance of severe storms.

Bad thing about the storms coming tomorrow is I have a big shipment of plants coming in. We will be unloading them in the rain. UGH!!

My favorite Mavs goalie.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7728616

Looks like we 'might' actually get some rain tomorrow!
Got 1/2 the plants out of the Roof GH, trimmed, weeded watered and sprayed... when needed.
JUST got them out in time.
White Fly had just gotten a start...
Maybe lost 10 plants but all throwaways we just pitched in their cause we had room.

The EE's look Great!... Mau we have maybe 100 BD's! lol!
The two big Mandevilla came thru perfectly.
Remember me bitching about taking 3 hours to unwind them last Fall...lol!
They already have 3' of new growth.
The other one looks iffy...

Here's Robyn's new project.
She did everything but rip the boards down.
It was a learning experience for her.
Built and rebuilt 3 times... ;-)
Tomorrow we'll get her some more blocks.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 22, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #7728708

Ric~love the photo of the project Robyn is doing and, seeing the photographer, too. Very nice.
marsue~no, at least not yet; the squirrel does love the sunflower seeds and keeps the chickadees away.
pepper~great pic of the goalie. Hope you won't be unloading in a rainstorm.
Snowing now the -rain didn't stand a chance.

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7728831

We're watching Canna come up in the front yard... kiska is watching it snow!
Man!

Mom told me that I used to feed the squirrels every morning.
I would pop across the street and eat breakfast w/ the neighbors.
I was a VERY early riser as were they.
Then they would give me peanuts for the squirrels and take me home.
Mom would come out and find me sitting on the porch swing w/ them climbing all over me.

We always fed the ones at our later house by hand.
They were White Squirrels and loved Apple slices.

Thumbnail by henryr10

kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 22, 2010
9:51 PM

Post #7729079

ric~so nice to have shared this bit of your life-sounds like a wonderful way to have started the day and made great memories.

Thumbnail by kiska

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2010
4:06 AM

Post #7729318

51. Our last warm night for a week. Rain chances today but I'll believe it when I feel it.

Marsue, good, no guilt :o) Wow, you parasailed! I love the name Fountain Trees! It is a much better image! That is the system that is to bring rain to us too. At least you can reschedule if the weather is going to be really bad. What a pretty tongue, LOL!

Dyson, I wish I had room. I want a strawberry wall, or semi circle. I hope it rains after they are in :o)

Celia, the runts are always the cutest. It's the right name for the cherry.

Sunfarm, they sound like good cheries! Do you get fruit every year? We bought peaches grown in Colorado and planted the seeds. I have two trees now. The oldest will fruit, but not every year. The bloms are spotty again this year. The peaches are big and good, but in the 7 years we've had it, only one good year with enough to can. We have to decide if it's worth keeping since it's crowding the Snow apple. The tree in the back yard has a blossom, but no fruit from it yet to know if it's a good tree.

Kiska, Frank and the squirrel is adorable!

Pepper, may it be a warm rain, but I doubt it. Volunteer to hand them out of the truck :o)

Ric, glad you got to the plants in time to cut your losses. Love your picture in the picture!

Robyn, you have my admiration for building a nice set of steps!

Kiska, that is the perfect adorable winter picture involving a bear!! I'll have to admit, it is a pretty snow.

Ric, that is a cute story! Wow, white squirrels!

I have AccuWeather up and the rain is just under us. The sky in the east is really really pink. I don't think I'll be weeding today.

My cabbage and pepper plants. I always bury the peppers like the tomatoes since they root up the stem too.

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2010
4:25 AM

Post #7729338

The cherries have been wonderful each year we have been here. I have a problem with a peach tree that I first noticed soon after we bought the place. It was tiny then--probably a volunteer from a discarded pit, but is now a good sized tree. It has pretty blooms each spring [see photo] and I have seen fruit up to about almond size that has never developed beyond that. I don't know if critters are eating the underripe fruit or something is causing it to drop before maturing. Anybody got any ideas?

There is rain in the area today and a lot more forecast for tomorrow that will spoil any outdoor activities on the farm or for the 3-Day Event at the Horse Park near Lexington. DD is planning to work that. There are riders from all over the world competing. We had a brief shower yesterday evening, but all the green globs on the radar have not yet materialized into anything reaching the ground this morning.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2010
4:51 AM

Post #7729378

50F

Details for Friday, April 23
Mostly cloudy this morning. A few showers developing during the afternoon. High 73F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
Evening: Cloudy with a few showers. Low 54F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #7729558

Sunfarm, I think when it's a chance seedling you aren't going to get a good tree, like those they cross with others for the best features. (I just thought about that this morn.) Our peach trees really grew fast too. Almost like the weedy, small fruited, white peach. Your blossoms are pretty. Mine has a pinwheel effect. I just took the picture yesterday. My DD took a horse out a few years ago and won the grand prize. Barabas, an Egyptian. He had a heart problem. One day he was fine, the next, dead.

The map showed rain, close. I ran out in my flannels and sprinked every granule of Preen I had, on all the flower beds. Then I burned wastebaskets and dumped the garbage. I also brought the tomatoes and peppers back in the house and put them under the lights. It's going to be too chilly in the garage for the next week.

IT'S RAINING!!!

The blossom from the younger peach. This is the second year for blossoms. Hopefully the first year to get peaches.

Thumbnail by billyporter

kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 23, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #7729724

30*F
It stopped snowing early evening last night, so other than freshening the old, didn't amount to too much.
Blossoms and plants-it seems to be another world out there:)) Love seeing your pics.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #7729894

Rain, rain, rain...

39.8 F with 54 for the high. It's been raining of and on for 3 days. It's kind of nice but I can't get outside to do anything.
Light Rain
Windchill: 40 F
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 37 F
Wind: 4.0 mphfrom the NW
Wind Gust: 12.0 mph
Pressure: 29.80 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 1200 ft
Mostly Cloudy 2700 ft
Overcast 3500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Yes, folks, I am much better. I got 2 new plants...an unknown Sedum and Gaura 'Perky Pink'.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #7730098

rain, Rain, RAIN for the last 2 hours!
Finally!
Nice steady and solid soaking rain.
If the front stays steady we look to get at least 4 more hours.

Jackie that looks COLD! LOL!
Great shot!

I don't remember the squirrels. I was just a little tyke. About 3 years old.
The White Squirrels I love. They are not albinos.
For those of you not familiar w/ the Midwest there are Black and White versions of the Grey Squirrel. The Black ones live mostly in MI and northern OH.
Some have now been introduced here.
The White Squirrels lived in my parent's Black Walnut as long as I can remember.
Some years just one... usually two... a few years back 6...
they don't live long as the Hawks nail them.

Off to do some wiring.

Ric

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2010
12:03 PM

Post #7730397

Got of the Strawberry plants in the ground - working on the other .

Had three plants left when it started spitting rain - they got planted shallow.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2010 4:04 PM
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7730809

Rain ended with the warm front passing soon after noon. We had 0.17" rain, for which I am grateful but want more in the next couple of days to make a dent in our precipitation deficit.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 23, 2010
3:31 PM

Post #7730846

Quoting:Hope I don't have to "donate" them all to the birds this year!

Good luck with that.

Quoting:My favorite Mavs goalie

I can understand that. He looks pretty cute. ;-) It looks like you had pretty good seats for those games. Do you pay any attention to the NHL? I don't really. I just check once in a while to see how the Kings and Penguins are doing. If we lived in a town that didn't have a basketball team, we might watch hockey.

Bernie, do you pay any attention to the Twins? I'm glad Joe Mauer signed a long contract with the Twins and didn't go to some place like the Yankees. I'll bet the Yankees are bummed about that. Jorge Posada is getting old and they don't seem to be developing a young guy to replace him.

We went to the beach today since it was going to be a minus tide.

Point Dume, Malibu, California (PWS)
Updated: 3:29 PM PDT on April 23, 2010
61.0 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 52 F
Wind: 9.0 mph from the WSW
Wind Gust: 12.0 mph

The kind of porous stuff you see is tube worms, actually, tube worm tubes. They're pretty strong and you could walk on them, though I try to avoid it. I wouldn't want some 80 ton monster walking on my house.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 23, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7730851

starfish heaven - Their favorite food is mussels.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 23, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7730853

I think this is called a hydroid. It's an animal, not a plant. This one was washed in.

Thumbnail by Kelli

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 23, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #7730884

The Twins are awesome this year. Team reminds me of 1965 when they played LA Dodgers in the world series. Bummer that we lost!
Any one in the lineup can hit a home run at any time, defense is one of the best in the majors. Decent pitching.
Twins built their team instead of going out & buying one like Yankees do. This day & age that don't work so good. I'm making the money, why should I play hard.

Raining here today. Started about 3:30 PM. Supposed to last until Saturday night. 55
Everything is growing great guns in the garden. Now with the rain, look out!
Planted the late crop of potatoes yesterday. Onions are nearly done. Beans are up, 1st & 2nd planting of peas are up. Carrots & beets are up with a nice stand. Glads are poking through.

Neighbor farmer is celebrating his 59th birthday today. Said it's the first time he was done planting corn by his birthday. The rate things are growing, Alfalfa hay will be ready to cut in 2 weeks. Normally it would be Memorial day.
Weather liars say no frost in site.

I almost forgot, Strawberry-Rhubarb pie & fresh Asparagus were on the menu last night!
Normally don't see Asparagus until May.

Bernie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2010

Post #7731220

High in the mid 70s today with high humidity. Storms came in overnight and lasted to early morning. More storms on the way sometime tonight.

Rain was done when I got to work which was good cause they were just finishing unloading the plant truck. LOL. The assistant manager and I were joking that it would have been nice if I had been there 30 minutes earlier and the truck 30 minutes later. It seems to happen this way alot. LOL.

Spent all day pricing and moving stuff around. Have alot of plants now but my greenhouse still isn't full. LOL. I'll have to tell my floral boss to order more.

Here is a full shot of the arena. I've been in several areas but my favorite is just down and over to the left a bit. I get to see most of the action and have a good shot of the goal so can yell at the refs when they make a bad call. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #7731306

I had promised pictures of some of the other resident dogs on the farm. This is Libbie Jean, also a "rescue" from being dumped at DD's vet clinic. She is the cutest of the lot, IMHO. She is a busy hunter and chased two deer this evening. I was surprised to see them so close to the house before she arrived. Getting muddy is quite common for her.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 23, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7731324

42*F Sunny, for the most part:)
pepper-great shot of the arena.
CG~sounds like a good day-to think there will be a harvest, of anything this time of year, is amazing.
kelli~loved your day at the beach; there are so many unusual types of life to see. Very nice.
Sunfarm-hope the rain comes to bring up the needed level.
Celia~glad you're better.
Dyson-love the term: "spitting rain".
ric~interesting info about the squirrels-
7pm last night-sundown on the fresh snow looked great - Had to step outside for "one more" pic of Pioneer Peak.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 23, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7731330

Libby Jean is so cute-lucky little girl.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 24, 2010
2:39 AM

Post #7732038

Hi guys! I have been digging and weeding and I'm so behind with your posts!
Jackie, great pics! The Pioneer's Peek looks wonderful!
Celia, you have such wonderful blooms!
Sunfarm, you might have some bugs damaging the fruits. Maybe you can spray the peach tree with some bug spray. I just did that on my fruit trees. The apricot tree shows some drying leaves on some branches. I'll take a picture.
Sally, your veggie sprouts are growing!
Ric, great job for Robyn!
Kelli, those sea creatures are awesome!
Pepper , love your hockey pics!
I need to go out and dig some more. The weather is great, just a bit windy. It's 21C=70F today and sunny.
A bee in my garden.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 24, 2010
2:40 AM

Post #7732039

Another one...notice the pollen bags on her feet.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2010
4:03 AM

Post #7732091

54 with a bit of fog. Last time I looked yesterday, we had 1/2'' and then it rained some more. Then the Grandkids came.

Kiska, your snow is a world away too! I love how well you capture the snow falling!

Celia, be glad for the rain! It dries up much too fast! I love Gaura but it's too cold to overwinter here and too expensive to be an annual. It will be interesting to see the sedum. There seems to be so many different colors now.

Ric, ''if the front stays steady.'' We fell into the famous hole that happens over Nichols, but it did pick up again. Meezers5 in Wisconson thinks she has an albino squirrel, but can't get close enough to see his eyes. There are black squirrels in neighboring towns. We have red, but somehow a grey or two came and I'm afraid they will run the reds out. I don't like them. They have an awful squeal, and are meaner, while the reds chitter and get run off. Your parents have a nice memory.

Dyson, good timing! I have a couple entries in the flower list I keep that says ''threw them in the ground while it thundered and lightninged!'' (I don't think that's an actual word)

Kelli, you know sports! You have the best of both worlds. I love your beach too. How neat to see the nature show in person!

Bernie, I'm not into sports, but I know what you mean about ''buying'' a team. Takes all the sport out of watching, like two teams with 7' tall men dropping basketballs in. Boy, when you plant it comes up fast. I would expect it to be colder there than here. My stuff is just up! We've picked asparagus twice! May is when we expect it too.

Pepper, ROTFL!! Nice shot of the arena!

Sunfarm, she's a beauty! I love her name. DD has a dog... and backwater nearby. Yuck!

Kiska, I love the new snow at the base. I thought it was fog for a minute.

Adina, you share my appreciation of the dandelion. They're beautiful. Now if they just didn't kill the grass. I love the pollen covered bee! Did you know that if you fill an upturned dishpan, or something with a shallow rim, the bees will drink water from it. I have them at my birdbaths, but sometimes they fall in and need rescuing.

With the moon filling out, it wasn't really Dyson Dark at 4:30 am. We could have occasional rain and a high in the mid 50's. North wind 15 - 20 MPH with gusts up to 30 MPH. Brrrrr!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #7732208

57 -

Details for Saturday, April 24
Showers this morning then scattered thunderstorms developing during the afternoon hours. High 71F. Winds ESE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
Evening: Thunderstorms. A few storms may be severe. Low 59F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

Repaired two lights for Mrs Dyson this morning, one was a "night light" that needed better bulb contact (bent 1 small piece of metal) and the other needed batteries (I use rechargeable). Now what else can I do that makes it look like I am getting something done - but I do not have to work too hard?
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #7732309

Heavy rain and thunderstorms overnight. It's cooler(50's) this morning with a nice breeze. Everything is lush green and growing fast in our neck of the woods. Looks like severe possibly tornadic weather in some southern states today. Our friends to the south stay safe this weekend since it looks like your area is going to see severe to possibly tornadic weather conditions. We are on the back or cooler side of this weather maker and just have chances for more rain but nothing severe. Hot weather would bring on the mushrooms but no such luck yet! Have a great weekend everyone.
Cuckoo

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #7732384

43.6 F with with 65 for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 44 F
Humidity: 58%
Dew Point: 30 F
Wind Gust: 1.0 mph
Pressure: 30.08 in (Rising)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 10000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

My niece and I are going plant shopping today. Woo hoo!

Here's the Sedum, BP. I still don't know which one it is, though.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 24, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #7732453

24*F Sunny w/mostly blue sky.
Reading about tornados, thunderstorms and wild weather, makes me wonder what my gson in Iowa thinks of it. He flies back up May 11and I can't wait to hear from him. It was his first school year there and of being out of Alaska; he really liked it.
Dyson~sounds good to me; was a good project to have finished. Do take it easy and w/out guilt:))
bp~looks like a blustery day ahead in your area.
cuckoo~so glad there's spring green and the hope of mushrooms in between the crazy weather.
Happy shopping, kwanjin..
hi Adina-love the pollen laden bee-the blossom is so bright and pretty.
My gson, late August, the day before flying down to Iowa. (his youngest brother misses him a lot).

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2010
9:25 AM

Post #7732692

Whew! You guys and gals make it hard to keep up! I've read all the posts but I won't comment on everything--would take too long and too much room! LOL Loving all the photos, though.

We got our rain, some storms and tornado warnings in the state, too, but nothing other than lots of rain in my immediate area. I was supposed to take a one-day trip to Jackson, TN today with some other DGers from central AR but I decided not to go because they were expecting some bad weather over there today. I hope those who did make the trip have stayed safe--and dry! Still raining off-and-on this morning with an occasional clap of thunder. Supposed to be out of here by noon but it is almost noon and it still looks overcast and rainy. No sign of the sun yet.

Knock-outs

Thumbnail by marsue

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 24, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #7733304

Iris pictures for today.
" of rain overnight.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 24, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7733308

NO ID on any of these.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 24, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7733313

Next.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 24, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #7733320

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 24, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #7733323

From 2008 Iowa Round Up.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7733753

Rainy most of the day. Been dry about an hour or so now. Nothing severe, just steady rain.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #7733924

Raining here now - it was threatening all day - planted 12 tomato plants (Big Boy), 16 Pepper (California Wonder), 8 squash (Yellow Crookneck), 7 cucumber & 12 Brussels sprout. Kinda tired.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #7734009

We're under the gun until 3AM.
Tornado Watch at this point.
The storm is just reaching the Cincinnati area.
Heavy rains and we're just now starting to hear rumbling from the South.
Radar shows the main brunt of the storm w/ the violent weather is probably and hour away at least.
It appears to have lost a lot of power and to be tracking south of us.
All I anticipate here is a lot of water fast.

10 people are now confirmed dead in MS.
A long tracking 1/2-3/4 mile wide tornado.
If there is an up side to the strike it hit during daylight hours.
People were awake and aware so most got to shelter.
One this big... if you are ground zero you are probably gone.
I've worked tornado rescue and being able to find survivors fast is key.
(At Xenia and Kettering we were working under lights... dangerous and slow.)
So at least down there they injured got help fast.

Helped our son move a huge futon bed/couch down to the basement where he's living.
Man that thing was a beast! lol!
We also spent about 2 hours giving the owner garden design tips.
Lovely colonial farm house style home on about an acre of gently sloping land.
She should be able to really get a nice nice look out of this place!

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 24, 2010
9:28 PM

Post #7734496

Hi guys! I'm posting a few pics from the garden...this is how it looks after weeding and digging.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 24, 2010
9:29 PM

Post #7734501

Wall flowers.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 24, 2010
9:30 PM

Post #7734503

Red tulips.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 24, 2010
9:31 PM

Post #7734504

Pink tulip bud.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 24, 2010
9:33 PM

Post #7734511

Pansies and tulips.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 24, 2010
9:34 PM

Post #7734520

Pansies.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 24, 2010
9:35 PM

Post #7734525

Giant pansy.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2010
2:44 AM

Post #7734805

59 -

Details for Sunday, April 25
Showers and thundershowers likely, especially during the morning. A few storms may be severe. High 79F. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
Evening: Isolated thunderstorms this evening. Skies will become partly cloudy after midnight. A few storms may be severe early. Low 58F. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Currently dark & wet though the rain is mostly past. Will not have to worry about watering the new plants in the garden today.

The temporary "fix" on the shed (plastic and tape) appears to be holding, the work bench and contents dry.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
4:20 AM

Post #7734885

51. I had to take a flashlight out to dump the guages since more rain is headed our way. We had a grand totoal of 1- 8/10'' so far. It's raining again now. We didn't get our wind till last night, and had a heavy downpour after dark. We were watching "Little Big Man" and I couldn't get up and look without ruining the mood of the movie. What a great movie!

Dyson, looks like the Doctor put you on light work, (groan :o)

Cuckoo, looking out this morn, it looks like my hostas grew a foot overnight! WE needed this rain. The farmers didn't. They've been readying tractors all week.

Celia, I don't know on the sedum either, even with a close up. It does look lush!

Kiska, it will be exciting to know what he thinks of Iowa! What an adorable picture of the boys!

Marsue, it's better to be safe than sorry. A person can shop anytime. Gorgoeus gorgeous roses! They named those right!

Bernie, I love the iris! A Shreiner's catalog might give you a few names to chose from. Those look like the Lilliputs. Your tulips are saluting you :o) My neighbor gave me 6 or so tiny lilliput iris and I had to wait a good year to see what I had. I fell in love with them!

Dyson, your garden is well on it's way.

Ric, first, a big hug for being a rescue worker. Nothing could be more horrifying and rewarding at the same time. Bernie's tulips salute you too :o) Second, my first thought on bad weather is ''do I know anyone from there?" With the boys here, I don't see TV day or night, and didn't see any reports. It's too bad anyone died. How wonderful to give the house owner some tips.

Adina, I've always loved fresh turned dirt. It's a big, beautiful bed! I love wallflowers and had the orange once. They are iffy in my zone, so I haven't tried them again. Bright cheery tulips! I love the tulip close up! The pansies and tulips really make a statement!

Two pictures of the Half Moon bed.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
4:21 AM

Post #7734886

The second

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
4:26 AM

Post #7734892

The peach blossom my computer wouldn't let me post the other day

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
4:27 AM

Post #7734895

One hosta bed

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
4:29 AM

Post #7734897

Slug bug yellow!

That's the only reason for this picture. I couldn't resist :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2010
5:04 AM

Post #7734945

Bernie: your flowers are looking good!
Pepper: glad you didn't encounter any severe weather, either.
Ric: It's sad about the deaths in MS. I hope you didn't get any severe weather up your way last night. I'm sure you were helpful in sharing your knowledge with your son's landlady. She will surely benefit from your advice--if she follows your suggestions, that is.
Adina: love your wallflowers, pansies, tulips. What is going between the wooden forms between the flower beds and the patio?
Dyson: glad your shed stayed dry. It sounds like you have the makings of a good salad planted in your garden.
BP: I see the slug bug! LOL What kind of grass do you have in your yard? It is so lush and green looking. Our bermuda grass down here is just now beginning to turn green after being brown all winter. Your kind of grass probably wouldn't do well in our hot, humid summers. Your flower beds are looking good!

A lake wind advisory is in effect for our area until 8 p.m. (This wind will help dry out the wet spots in my yard from Friday's and Saturday's rain.)
# Today: Mostly sunny. High 76F. Winds W at 10 to 20 mph.

Dutch Iris "Purple Sensation" in full bloom
# Tonight: Some passing clouds. Low 53F. Winds WNW at 10 to 15 mph.

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7734979

Beautiful Dutch Iris Marsue!

We mostly have Kentucky Bluegrass. It will go dormant, and gets pretty crispy if there's no rain in July and August. It's the grass I prefer. We've had a couple of nasty grasses that sneaked in from somewhere, along with the fine, and wide bladed fescues they throw in the seeds for shady and problem areas. I don't like them either.

One nastry is, I think, Bentgrass. It gets so thick and cusiony I have a hard time pushing a mower thru it. I should like it because it crowds out weeds, but I don't. I grubbed out a huge patch of it one year. Now I see it starting in a couple of places. It goes to a light yellowish tan color in early fall and is just starting to green up now. Ugly!
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2010
6:01 AM

Post #7735045

Gusty, windy, rainy, cool morning here in N.W. Missouri this morning. Things are pretty much a mud pit here... Sounds like nothing compared to the tornado damages in the south...Hope they get back on their feet with time. Always love everyone's great pictures on this thread.Adinamiti I love your Wall Flowers and their color. You have a nice flower garden. Say, billyporter What's with your slug picture ? I'm laughing at your slug but don't really know why??!!! Ha Ha!
Cuckoo

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #7735095

Cuckoo, the neighbors have a Volkswagon Beetle in their back yard :o)

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 25, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #7735147

Sally, your garden looks great! I can't see the yellow bug, but the pinetree is awesome!Oh, the peach blossom!
Mau, lovely irises! That is an alley around the house.
Ric, sorry to hear about the tornado and the people affected! So sad.
Dyson, don't overdo! You'll have lots of veggies this summer!
Bernie, great blooms!
Jackie, what a beautiful picture of your gsons!

It's cloudy and chilly outside. Here is the damaged apricot branch.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 25, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #7735156

Sally, LOL! I see it now! I'm posting one of the plants similar to the one you dug a few days ago.
Cuckoo, thanks!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7735172

Though there was hail and heavy wind in southern Kentucky last night, the tornado watches did not escalate to warnings and all we got was just over an inch of rain. It is gorgeous this morning but more rain is forecast for later today and through the next two days, with much cooler weather.

Another picture of the resident dogs. Sweetie is a "chug" [chihuahua/pug]. All are rescues left at DD's vet clinic.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #7735187

Here's Candy, a pit bull who was expecting when dumped, but has since been spayed. Her disposition is as sweet as her name.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #7735208

Finally, Ms. Pup, the matriarch of the farm. She arrived more than 12 years ago, shot in the face and blinded in one eye. She is pretty frail now, no longer the leader of the group, but is a good girl. Last year she got disoriented and was gone 4 days before DH found her in a rising creek stuck in the mud with water nearly up to her muzzle. She was a mess when rescued, had to be shaved and de-maggoted, but is amazingly still alive.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #7735353

Hi everyone! I'm back!! Thanks for the compliments of my pictures and flowers!!

I have more pics, before the storms and after the storms :*(

Mau I'll trade you! Also, to count the number of states bring up a google map, that's what I did! I didn't count the states where I just changed planes, that's why TX isn't in the list.

I don't remember which slide show I posted, so I'm going to post these two. The windshield is Dave's new one on his truck, he was parked in the driveway for about 2 hours and I had to take a pic of the pollen buildup on a brand new windshield after sitting for a couple of hours:
http://picasaweb.google.com/christinepix/20100423#

Here's my flowers after the storms:
http://picasaweb.google.com/christinepix/20100424#

Does anyone know the name of the purple/blue/yellow iris that's not bearded?

Here's what accuweather says so far about the storms yesterday:
http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/30773/reports-of-destructive-tornado.asp

From what I'm gathering from accuweather.com, there were two long tracking tornadoes, here's the first one:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Here's the second:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Accuweather.com seems to have more information than The Weather Channel does, accuweather has counted 54 tornadoes so far, The Weather Channel is up to 30.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #7735615

Adina, your poor apricot. That looks like it hurts. Those are nice big leaves on your plant.

Sunfarm, you ended up with a great bunch of dogs. Our neighbor's white pit has a few brown spots. She is a sweetie too. Give Ms. Pup a careful hug from me. She's been thru too much.

Chrissy, I need to pull some weeds" as a caption cracked me up! Those are the wettest flowers! My heart goes out to those in the path of the tornado. I didn't know the extent of it.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #7735964

Keeping all those hit by the tornado and bad weather in our thoughts today.

Sunny, breezy, 60.

We got new plants yesterday. Holly, speedwell, heath, ice plant, shamrock, sweet woodruff...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7735990

...and Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Nana'.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 25, 2010
3:30 PM

Post #7736301

Rainy all day today. 49. Feels like winter! LOL!
Iris bed is really opening up.
Mowed some lawn yesterday afternoon. I planned on finishing today, not.
Pond is also on hold.
What does anybody use for a pump. A garden center place that specializes in ponds told me I needed a 2000 gallon per hour pump. They would have sold me a ready to go kit for $1000. Menards has a 2000 gallon pump for $89.
The kit had all kinds of chemical things & filters & high priced hose, etc. I already have the return hose installed. I'm not going to raise fish, just have water moving down the falls & stream.
Bernie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #7736505

High in the low 60s with sprinkles off and on all day. My plants are loving this weather right now. lol

Refs being mean and keeping the players from fighting. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #7736676

Pepper, Thanks for not keeping all the rain and letting some of it come our way. It started here about 5PM and the temperature dropped ten degrees in less than 45 minutes. It has been a gentle rain, which I hope will continue for the next couple of days to help us make up our precipitation deficit.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #7736791

You're welcome! LOL. It's pretty cool here too. Tomorrow our high will only be in the 50s.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #7736804

Bernie are you planning on putting plants in the pond?
Keeping it going all winter or draining?
How many gallons?

If you are not raising fish you don't need as extensive a filter system.
You will have aquatic life but ammonia levels and such won't be an issue.
If you have fish they recommend a twice an hour water exchange.
W/o fish far far less but you don't want stagnate areas.

Nice little pack there Sunny!

Celia looks like you'll be busy this week!

Mau BEAUTIFUL Iris!
We just picked up a clump of light purple bearded that are at least 60 years old.
Heritage from the farm where we picked up our Beef today.

BIG Steer our 1/4 side was 140 pounds.
35 pounds heavier than last year but still super lean.
5 more pounds and it wouldn't have fit in our freezer!

We've had 1.5" of rain before today.
I'd say around another 1/2" dropped this afternoon.
Cooler and more rain tomorrow then back to above normal temps and sunny for the week.

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 25, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #7737197

46*F overcast- came so close to 50 yesterday and today-the snow is going quickly - not many areas of the yard have a foot of snow; there are patches of bare ground, enough to make my way to many places w/out getting a shoe full of snow.
Hope the tornadoes are finished; so sorry for the loss of life.
gdaughter's hockey days- (pink stick)

Thumbnail by kiska

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 25, 2010
8:49 PM

Post #7737263

I think I am going to use a preformed tub for the bottom pond. The one I am looking at is 165 gallons.
There will be plants. Also goldfish. They are more fun than Koi. Don't need to feed them, they grow like crazy. Even reproduce!
Old pond had no pump at all. There was a small leak, so had to add water once a week.
We had some lily pads in there & other pond weeds.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2010
10:30 PM

Post #7737500

Yes, Ric, busy, busy, busy!!! LOL

This message was edited Apr 25, 2010 11:31 PM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2010
3:46 AM

Post #7737670

50 and Dyson Dark. There must be some clouds out there.

Celia, those are big, nice looking plants! Is your dirt acidic, for the heath? Oohhh, love Nana!

Bernie, we have a kid in town who is doing ponds as a business. He needed a pump for his own and didn't buy the expensive one from his dealer, but found a cheaper one somewhere else. I haven't talked to him this year, but sometimes cheap is too cheap. Your call.

Pepper, that's a pretty stern finger those boys are getting!

Ric, congrats on the historic iris. My favorite thing to get! I'm drooling and falling to my knees over your beef. It don't taste like the store!!

Kiska, my cousins daughter started hockey around 3 or 4. She's 16 now and is still playing. You have to admire these girls!

Bernie, the goldfish sound neat! I can't wait to watch them grow!

We cut the peach tree down yesterday. No blooms on it again and I'm tired of it wasting space. It really opened the sky up. For some reason my Dave's browse won't let me get a picture. It seems to happen after I've been moving pictures into folders and just started doing it the other day. Hmmm. Now later it will be fine.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2010
7:07 AM

Post #7738146

Bernie the pump you need will be driven by how much water you want to move.
That's determined by what affect you're seeking.
Do you want a babbling brook, creek bed, white water rafting?
How high will you waterfall be?
Column height (how far up) figures into the GPM you need.

I think something in a 700-1000 GPM rating is about what you need.
That will give you the option to 'T' side water lines off to allow good water movement in the pond part also.
Tetra, Little Giant, Pondmaster all make mag pumps in this size.
They do though need a debris filter of some sort or you'll be cleaning them out a lot.
We just drop them in the leg from a pair of pantyhose.
Cost will be about 100 bucks.
http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/pond-pumps-large.asp
(They are local for us but usually have free shipping)

A good option are the direct drive pumps.
Think sump pump. If you have access to one of them...
They are killer. Try to find one though that is either made for ponds or continuous operation.
Usually at the high end of the GPM for your application.

I'm sure Joey has some favs.

Rain has stopped. Cool the next few days.

Ric

kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 26, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #7738379

38*F overcast.
CG~the pond project will be beautiful; what fun to see the planning coming together.
bp~Palmer's "hockey" girl, Kerrie Wieland, played in the Olympics this year. You just never know where it will take them.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2010
9:05 AM

Post #7738601

KY Sally: great rescue dogs! How nice that you gave them a good home!
Celia: lots of good buys there. Don't overdo while you are planting them.
BP; bye-bye peach tree!
Ric: "white water rafting" on Bernie's pond! ROFLOL

A lovely day here yesterday and another one in progress today. Highs in the low 70's.

Friday and Zach, my DGS, had a good time playing with the remote control helicopter. Friday tried to catch it but he was unsuccessful! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2010
9:25 AM

Post #7738666

Ric, I love the options you're willing to work with Bernie on, on the pond :o)

Kiska, how true. Her coach is looking into a scholarship for starters.

Marsue, that's the best toy for both to enjoy. I'll bet there was a lot of laughter!

Peach Tree coming down!

Thumbnail by billyporter

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 26, 2010
9:44 AM

Post #7738734

Mau, that's a great picture! The boys are having a good time!
Sun, what cute doggies, thanks for posting the pics!
Sally, why is the peach tree coming down?
It's been chilly outside especially in the morning, only 42. Tomorrow it's going to be 40...brrr! But it'll be sunny and the temps will get higher at noon.
New tummy picture!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #7738744

BP, the heath is going into a pot and sunk into the ground. My soil in not acidic. I'll feed it when necessary. I would love to have azaleas but it isn't possible here. Maybe a potted one? Hmm...

Y'all got me wanting to put in a water feature. LOL

55.1 F with 65 for the high.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 33%
Dew Point: 26 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 10.0 mph
Pressure: 30.13 in (Falling)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Green everywhere.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #7738748

Yea! Tummy pics. Crystal is due anytime now.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 26, 2010
11:26 AM

Post #7739048

Marilyn, I like your GS's shirt. I also like the pattern of your couch.

DH and I have had it up to here with baby mockingbird. It has this loud, shrill, penetrating, almost ultrasonic squeal that it gives off about every second or two all day long. This is the third week of this now and they will keep having broods up into August. UGH! It is very frustrating. When there were a lot of stray cats around here, it seemed to keep the mockingbirds in check. DH has ordered a machine that makes bird distress and preditor calls and maybe that will drive them off. I have a feeling, though, that DH will be afraid to turn the machine up loud enough to do any good. (As if the neighbors care how loud they play stuff outside.) The bird machine has a 30 day money-back guarantee, so we can return it if it doesn't work for us. Where are the Cooper's hawks when you need them?

Updated: 10:51 AM PDT on April 26, 2010
71 F
Clear
Humidity: 49%
Dew Point: 51 F
Wind: 4 mph Variable

amaryllis

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 26, 2010
11:27 AM

Post #7739050

Easter cactus

Thumbnail by Kelli

kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 26, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7739643

52*F - so nice out even with overcast. Nothing green but that will happen soon.
Adina~how cute-hope she is feeling good, too.
marsue~great photo-his t-shirt says it all.
kelli~hopefully you will win the mockingbird "battle". Your flowers are beautiful.
kwanjin~very pretty.
bp~Timberrrr~~scholarships are out there; never too early to start.

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 26, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7739739

BIIIG silo for a LOOONG winter! BTW, regarding the picture of your GS you posted the other day, I think he's going to grow into a handsome young man!

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7739834

Adina: No doubt about it--your DD is definitely expecting!! LOL
Kelli and Kiska: glad you both liked my DGS' shirt. I like it, too. :o))
Kelli: lovely amaryllis! What's the name of that one? The Mead's Strain you sent me should be blooming soon. The Easter cactus is lovely. My Thanksgiving cactus had more blooms on it at Easter than it did at Thanksgiving or Christmas. LOL Good luck with the new machine--hope it helps with the mockingbird!
Kiska: great photo of the barn, silo and mountains!

It's been a lovely day. I got the plants in the ground that one of my central AR DG friends, Kathy Ann, sent me via another DG friend, Charlotte: two nicotiana plants, one particular kind of milkweed-can't remember what it is just now, 5 or 6 iris, one rice paper plant (still have to plant it), two supertunias. Charlotte gave me some more hostas from her garden which I also got planted this afternoon. DG friends are the best! :o))

Friday and Zach in the porch swing yesterday morning.

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 26, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #7740080

Thanks Marilyn. I think the amaryllis is Red Pearl.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #7740246

Cloudy and cold today. High supposedly reached 57 but I don't think we got that warm.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #7741163

47 and it's light out already at 5:30 am. I mowed yesterday, had two people stop by and only managed to get the arbor weeded. Some days are like that. I sat in the adirondack chair and watched rain fall from the clouds in the north. It finally got here after I came in. We also have a brown thrasher singing it's heart out morning, noon and night. One reason why I decided it was time to have some shrubs.

Adina, we planted it from seed in 2003. In all these years we had one crop of peaches. They were good, but once again, we have no blossoms. There is an apple tree behind it that it keeps growing into, so I decided it was a tree we didn't need. For someone who was shy about her belly, there is no hiding it now! She's beautiful!

Celia, I love azaleas too, but have no where to put one or the time to keep the soil acid :o( Your lawn sure greened up fast! Snow water has more minerals than rain and rain has more air in it than ground water. That's why the last snow doesn't bother me TOO much. It has it's place. Your yard is beautiful now and very peaceful. I'll bet everytime the phone rings you jump up yelling "I'll get it!!!" I hope Crystal goes soon!

Kelli, I would have never known how bad a mock baby was. Yet they grow up to sing so beautifully. I hope the machine works for you. Out at the cemetary they are in the tops of the trees, so you can't cut down every tree to get rid of them. That is the reddest amaryllis I have ever seen! Gorgeous! Beautiful pink cactus too!

Kiska, now, I'm not the brightest color in the box. I never thought about a farm scene in Alaska :o) What a welcome sight!

Marsue, you have quite an assortment of plants! What a wonderful way to enjoy summer, waiting for new blooms. I'll bet Friday can't hardly sit still when Zach first gets there. What great friends, and what a great picture of them! I would have that blown up a little, tuck it away, and save it for Zach when he's older.

A cool day for us and a cool night. We are slowly working our way to May.

We found out the county has pretty much embargoed all the gravel roads, so we have to wait till June for a new driveway. They can't get their big equipment out. Oh well.

The driveway as it is now. The string shows the new edge. All the grass will be moved to the other side because we need to make a wide circle around the walnut. It's not done growing yet.

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #7741332

BP: Friday thinks Zach is his boy, sure enough! He bounces up and down like a pogo stick whenever Zach first gets here when he comes to spend the week-end. On the other hand, Friday mopes around when Zach has to leave, poor little doggie. He doesn't understand why Zach can't live with us all the time! Zach has two schnauzers of his own at his house: "Silvie and Tootsie".

Cooler today: heading for a high in the low 70's. It was 48 when I got up at 6 a.m.--felt like a crisp, fall day when I took Friday outside!

Thumbnail by marsue

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7741337

Sorry to hear your "public works project" will have to be on hold for a while. We are hoping the weather will permit a major improvement to our farm--a concrete deck for the bridge over the creek at the property boundary, will happen in the next couple of weeks. The timbers tend to rot away after a few years so the new deck should preclude the need for much maintenance in the future.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #7741473

A new bridge sounds much safer.

BP, I agree. Azaleas are great but lots of work if your soil isn't ready for them. I keep my cell phone very close these days. LOL Her due date is May 3rd but...LOL

78, sunny, windy.

Going to my nieces this morning to help her get some plants in the ground.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #7741675

LOL!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #7742387

Marsue, a pogo stick! I can just see it! Wow, what a gorgeous rose, up close and personal! I can almost smell it. It's fruity :o)

Sunfarm, I love bridges big and small. Don't forget before and after pictures!

Celia, you never know. If the baby thinks she's run out of room, she's gonna want out!

ROTFL&L!!! I had no idea what the picture was going to be!!!!

I picked a bread sack full of rhubarb and have two pie crusts thawing in the fridge.

Rhubarb Patch

Thumbnail by billyporter

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2010
11:53 AM

Post #7742514

Rhubarb pie!! My favorite!! (drooling...)
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #7742816

Wow.. I'm gone for a few days & it feels like months!! hahaha..
Tsk Tsk Marsue... for using weed killer!! hahahaha... ( just teasing you!).. I do understand why.. I was weeding the other day & thought the vinegar hadn't worked..then realized..they were NEW weeds!! The dead weeds were there just not dug up yet.. it is a lot easier to dig them up after they have died as I just don't have the strength in my hands to dig them up otherwise.

Dyson.. I am so happy to hear you are able to go back to work.. now.. just to find room for 25 strawberry plants! hahahaha
Kwanjin.. I hope you are feeling better now!

Marylyn_TX... I'm sorry you can't make it to our RU.. I know it's a LONG drive! lol

We are having nice temps..in the 70's, sunny! However.. rain is due over the weekend. I hope it's not going to be one of those summers where it rains every weekend!! I don't like that.. as that is when we do most of our activities!!!!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #7742927

60 breezy

Details for Tuesday, April 27 (Evening)
Evening: Rain showers early with clear skies overnight. Low 39F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Ran into a brief shower on the way home from work, Strawberry plants are trying to become "un-dormant" (it is a good thing). Everything else seems to still be alive (Another good type of thingy).

Still getting used to being back at work, going well for the most part and what is not, is not worth complaining about because it would not make it better - time to just roll up the sleeves, get the hands dirty, and try to make it work.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 27, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #7742942

50*F sunny w/blue sky.
Farms were started here in Palmer, in the 1930's, during the depression, and mostly by folks (209 families), from Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota.. They were given transportation up and parcels, by lottery, to clear; some of the farms remain in the hands of the Pioneers' families. In a nutshell, that is the story of Palmer.
Here's today's visitor. This moose seems to be a loner.
Have a good day everyone.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 27, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #7742944

Great attitude, Dyson. Hopefully all will be well soon.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7743505

I guess the moose is checking to see if it's time for a pedicure?

Dad was stationed up there for about 6 months during WWII.
Said NO WAY he'd ever live there! LOL!
But if you're already coming from a cold weather climate.

Well our backyard is full of ghosts!
There are sheets and tarps everywhere.
Pretty much makes sure that the frost will not hit us...lol!

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 27, 2010

Post #7743566

Ghosts in the yard~~certainly should work.
After the lone moose left, momma and twins came and have been here for a couple of hours.
57*F~

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 27, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #7743644

Soaking up the sunshine~

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 27, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7743650

Momma moose had been eating snow~

Thumbnail by kiska

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7743783

Yesterday it was springtime...for about 3 days after the snow melted and all day today it has been windy and rainy..quite blustery.

Since I knew another storm was coming, yesterday planted potatoes, broccoli, and beets, as well as retrieving 5 stevia plants from last year. This is the firstim I tried to leve them in the ground to see what would happen.

Since I have lived in this Sierra foothill community, for 23 years, we have never had so much snow in April, if any, that I recall...it snowed on March 31st, April 5th, April 12th, and April 20th...they are predicting that our heavy rainshowers today may turn into snow tonight...and my husband asked why I had not put out the tomatoes or basil yet, and I asked him to be patient until the weather settled down...but honestly, I do not know when that will happen.

This picture is from the 20th...

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2010
2:16 AM

Post #7744306

42 - Mostly dark,

Details for Wednesday, April 28
Plentiful sunshine. High 66F. Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph.
Evening: Mostly clear. Low 41F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2010
4:34 AM

Post #7744455

40. A bit cooler this morning, but going to be 70 and sunny!

Marylyn, one of my favorites and the rhubarb is still in the fridge. I came in to late to bake :o(

Cindylove, smiling over the new weeds. It's why I can't keep up. I get one bed done and it needs it again. I put down Preen, so I hope that takes care of the new weed seeds.

Dyson, glad the strawberries, and others, are going to make it. I've seen some sad strawberry crowns in my early days. Work is work.

Kiska, what crops did they grow in your short season?

Ric, I hope you didn't frost. It's a big disappointment to have to expect it one last time.

Kiska, I have to smile over them soaking up sunshine while they lay on the only SNOW in the yard! I love the open mouth on Mama! Great shot!

Hi Evelyn_inthegarden :o) Wow, you have quite a weather system! That is a pretty picture even tho it's snow :o) Just be glad for the extra moisture!

Have a happy day at work Dyson!

Clove Current (Ribes) My old Aunt called it Cinnamon Bush. It will have black fruit, and yep, I'm going to taste it this year.

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #7744543

Great moose pics! LOL I love them!

47.6 F with 50 for the high.
Overcast
Windchill: 44 F
Humidity: 52%
Dew Point: 31 F
Wind: 8.0 mph from the NW
Wind Gust: 19.0 mph
Pressure: 29.58 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 5000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 8000 ft
Overcast 10000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Dyson dark. I can hear robins singing outside.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 28, 2010
5:33 AM

Post #7744574

Gorgeous day here. 38 sunshine.
Took this pic early this morning.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2010
5:36 AM

Post #7744585

Very pretty. It is now raining.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #7744796

We got Frost.
Not bad though and only in the covered areas.

Kiska the moose shots are simply Great!
Still mind boggling to see them in someone's yard.

Near 80 by the weekend.

Ric
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #7745062

Great pics Kiska! Babies!!

Wow Evelyn, that's a lot of snow, your elevation is around 3000 to 4000 feet? I don't remember what Placerville's elevation is, but the pine trees start getting big there. I figure you're just a little higher than Sonora. That is very odd for this time of year, it usually stops snowing in March. All of the owners of the ski resorts are happy happy happy!!!

Ghosts!!! EEEKKKK!!!! LOL

We have deer running through our yards, Kiska has moose running through hers.
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
11:44 AM

Post #7745585

Love the moose Kiska!! good pics too.

Evelyn.. I don't know if this will help for you but my stevia survived our frosty winter..it's coming back nicely.

it started out at 49 here.. pretty cool for us.. but going to get to 82. It's windy & apparently it is going to get worse as the storm comes in from the west!! We are due for rain on the weekend!!

I will be busy tomorrow & Friday.. will miss you all & will have tons to catch up on!! So, behave yourselves...y'all!! hahahahaha

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2010
11:47 AM

Post #7745592

Yeah, sorry about that wind. We didn't want it anymore so you get it now.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2010
11:52 AM

Post #7745598

It's more or less summer here - at least compared to all of you! The daylilies are starting to bud. I have some new bulbs I need to get planted before it starts raining again.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 12:53pm CDT (55 min ago)
Temperature 78 F 26 C
Dew Point 48 F 9 C
Humidity 34%
Pressure 30.03 in 1016.9 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir SSE 150
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 78 F 26 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 48.9F / 9.4C
6 hour max temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 78.1F / 25.6C

Today Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 80s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Mostly clear early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Warmer. Lows in the lower 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7745825

hahahaha..thanks kwanjin... I will take the wind over snow any day!!

Marylyn.. you & I are about the same for temps.. for a change!! hahahaha
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 28, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #7746019

Kiska, what do moose eat in the winter?

We got a tiny bit of rain overnight. Anything we get now is a bonus.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #7746310

60 - Bright, sunny, clear -

Details for Wednesday, April 28 (Evening)
Evening: Mostly clear. Low 36F. WNW winds at 10 to 20 mph, diminishing to less than 5 mph.

Three days back on the job - I am somewhat tired. - but on a brighter note - nothing that I planted in the last week has expired (yet). I need to start working on some support for the tomato plants - and get some melon seed started indoors.

Think I will refill the kerosene heater - just in case it really does get down to 36 tonight!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #7746345

Yesterday we had a high of high 60s and sun and today it's low 70s with sun and some wind. Under a wind advisory for another 15 min but it may fire up again tomorrow.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #7746497

Rain and snow all day today, rain off and on yesterday. I am still waiting for spring...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #7747133

Sorry you have to wait for Spring for so long. I thought I had it bad.

Still cold. 38 and cloudy with the threat of snow tomorrow. It won't stick or last, though.

Lilacs are opened today. the ywere not open yesterday.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #7747168

Yummm... Celia... I think I can smell them from here! I looove lilacs!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2010
8:42 PM

Post #7747189

Sniff away! LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2010
3:38 AM

Post #7747506

55 with a high of 80 and a whole lot of wind! We could have gusts up to 45 mph out of the south. Pretty strong for us. I'll have to catch up later. It's into town early for us. ( Not this exact minute.) DH needs some Menard's stuff and I'll check out the garden stuff. The wind advisory starts at 11:00 am.

I spent all yesterday afternoon cleaning my garage, top to bottom. I got the rest of my yard ornaments set out and I'm wondering what winter germs I might have been breathing. Most of the "dirt" was road salt. I scraped it off the floor with a putty knife. It's impossible to completely sweep up other wise.

I even left my tomato and pepper plants in the garage, overnight, for the first time. I could see the neighbor's roof was frosty yesterday morning, so I think we had frost too.

I've been noticing that no matter what state we live in, we all seem to have the same weather within a day of each other. Except for the snow. Pretty cool!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2010
4:18 AM

Post #7747552

Cool and foggy this morning--mid 30s but no frost. The temperatures will be warming in the next few days, but I will leave the plastic temporary storm windows on the back porch a few days longer. They do interfere with bird photography, and now that indigo buntings and hummingbirds are here and the rhododendron is budding out I'd like to take some pictures in that direction.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 29, 2010
4:59 AM

Post #7747605

Very windy this morning. 60
Cloudy, with afternoon storms.
Must be Summer!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7747699

Cool here at 39 which is 10 colder than it should be.
But we should hit 75 which is 5 warmer so...
Talking 85 tomorrow.
Clear the next two days.

We are working on finally finishing the Pond.
We're tearing down and replacing another one.
Using that rock.
Yesterday was a rocking day...lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #7747814

My goodness, you folk are a chatty bunch! LOL I thought I had posted here yesterday but apparently not!
My weather sounds the same as yours, Cindy. We will be getting up into the low 80's today with a lake wind advisory until late this afternoon. I need to get out and mow before the wind picks up this afternoon. Thunderstorms coming in from the west tomorrow.
I spent some time pulling the dead weeds out from between the pavers in the garden path yesterday. Pulling dead weeds is almost as hard as pulling green ones--at least in my garden path because there are white gravel rocks between the pavers so I have to rake the rocks out of the spaces, pull the weeds out, and then rake the rocks back in. What a pain--there has got to be an easier way! (but I haven't found it yet)

Peach Belle is blooming

Thumbnail by marsue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7747878

I need to pull weeds too. I wanted to go out after work yesterday but my mom called with computer problems, so I walked her through that. She is so difficult, she would ask "What does this mean?" so I'd tell her and she said, "No it doesn't, it means something else!" I was on the phone with her for 2 hours, and every bit of instruction I gave her she'd argue about it first, tell me how wrong I am, then do exactly what I told her to do. I didn't get an evening last night, when I got off the phone with her it was bedtime, and I'm not in the best mood today because of it.

LOL Mau I always do that, think I've been everywhere when I haven't.

I miss going to the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range, Sonora, Auburn, Jamestown was always fun, Columbia, Jumping Frog Jubilee, let's see... hhmmmmmmm... Old Sacramento LOL Sorry, reminiscing here...
kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 29, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #7748021

crissyr~your comment set me to reminiscing, too. My middle daughter was born in Auburn. My parents lived in Jackson and just last fall, we drove from Sac, over the Sierra Nevadas, coming out at Birdgeport.
Sorry you're still getting snow, evelyn.
40*F and breezy today.
In answer to the earlier questions as to crops here; cool weather crops are grown. Potatoes, carrots, cabbage, lettuce are most popular.
During winter the moose browse willow bark/tips of shrubs, birch, currant and highbush cranberry shrubs and our raspberry canes.
ric~that is some hard work ahead..
marsue~unable to be in both places for now-nice to see you here, too. Peach Belle is beautiful.
hi to everyone~
Yesterday I was on the phone w/Aunt in Michigan.
I had my Dh take a pic w/the 3 moose in the background, so I could then email it to her.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2010
8:21 AM

Post #7748160

I would very much like to be working in my yard but...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2010
8:37 AM

Post #7748215

I just talked to Sharon. She wants everyone to know things are fine and she will be back very shortly.

33.5 F with 43 for the high.
Light Snow
Windchill: 34 F
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 27 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 13.0 mph
Pressure: 29.75 in (Rising)
Visibility: 1.5 miles
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 2800 ft
Mostly Cloudy 3700 ft
Overcast 4400 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #7748680

Kiska, your mention of cabbage reminds me of something really strange that happened almost 40 years ago, before DH and I were married. I had a really strange dream, that was very vivid but I did not recognize anything in it. I was in a cafeteria and there was a very strange purplish red salad (not Jello) that was apparently a specialty of the house. The place was quite dark, with red walls and heavy drapes. There was a picture of a man on the wall. At the end of the line, when I reached the cashier's station, I realized I had not been able to find the coffee and other beverages.
Because the dream was so vivid, I happened to mention it to later-to-be-DH, who had returned from a year in Alaska a few months earlier. He looked at me really funny, and asked me to sketch the layout of the place on a piece of paper, including the location of the picture on the wall. His jaw dropped, and when he recovered he told me I had seen a place where he had eaten often--in Fairbanks. The purple salad was slaw made with cabbage from the Matanuska Valley. I had not been able to find the beverages because they were around the corner beyond the cashier. The decor and layout were as described, including the picture of the owner on the wall. I have never been to Alaska and he had never mentioned the cafeteria or described it to me. Freaky!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2010
11:59 AM

Post #7748798

Yesterday ~ High 40 Low 32 Rain and snow, and more snow towards the end of the day, yesterday, but not a heavy snowfall. It was beautiful in the moonlight, however. There has been heavy rain since Tuesday, so the ground is sopping wet. On Sunday and Monday, which was lovely spring weather, I sowed peas and carrots, planted potatoes, broccoli, beets, and repositioned the stevia that had overwintered in the raised 4'X4' "square-foot gardens"...we have eight of them and only two have been cleared and planted this season as I have some plants in there overwintering, which I will remove to accomodate the veggies waiting for warmer weather. I am waiting for it to dry out a bit so I can get to my regular garden beds and clear them of weeds and do some planting and seed-sowing as well. So soggggy!!

Has anyone experienced the extreme fluctuations of this "spring" season? It warms up, then freezes, and then again, over and over...like a bad boyfriend (or girlfriend..) LOL!

What do the plants do when we have these extremes??

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2010
12:08 PM

Post #7748828

It's hard for plants and people alike to adjust to the "extremes" in the weather! Fortunately, our weather, though somewhat strange this year, hasn't had the extremes like you have experienced, Evelyn.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 29, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #7749077

Not exactly the warmest day ever, but it's o.k. The furnace came on around 11:30AM.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on April 29, 2010
62 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 26%
Dew Point: 27 F
Wind: 22 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 30 mph

Crissy and Kiska, here's a picture for you. I think at least one of you will know what this is.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2010 2:17 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 29, 2010
3:30 PM

Post #7749244

kelli~is it the bridge near Chico?
I turned the furnace down to 55" today; it's 52* outdoors and very windy. The three moose have been in the back yard this morning.
kwanjin~sorry to say this, but the snow look s very pretty on the yard.
evelyn~looks pretty there, too.
sunfarm~very strange dream-and to be accurate, wow.
As I came around the building, momma moose was headed my way.

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 29, 2010
4:51 PM

Post #7749442

No, not near Chico, really. Let's see if Crissy knows.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 29, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7749498

Hopefully she does, I'm not familiar with much beyond N. Calif or the Bishop area, and I'm anxious to learn of it's whereabouts.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #7749505

High of 80, sunny and very windy today. Wind gusts up to 40 mph most of the day.

Stopped by work to get a few things and my floral boss was trying to batten down the greenhouse to keep it from blowing away. She was having a heck of a time with it. Didn't help our one of our pallet jacks was broke down and they couldn't use it to move potting soil behind the greenhouse.

My new climbing rose CL. Golden Showers. Boought it at Wally World the other day. I was gonna replace my Queen Elisabeth but it does have a few leaves on it near the base so I will leave it and I put this one off the back patio in between two hostas.

Thumbnail by pepper23

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 29, 2010
5:15 PM

Post #7749515

Here's something that may be of interest to you.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1092020/
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2010

Post #7749547

billyporter ~ funny...that's the solution to my wimpy forsythia - artificial wands...let's see if the deer eat that!
Bernie ~ Let me know if you take any cuttings of your forsythia...I was hoping for blooms, but I think the deer attacked it several times, and it is hardly even there...were the onions sets or seedlings?? What is this DNR? I have not read the former thread..are you talking about wolves??
Kelli ~ I used to be the bedding plant manager at Green Thumb Nursery in Canoga Park, oh, so many years ago...when I lived in Topanga
Henry ~ If pigeons are dumb, why do people train them and they used to deliver mail???
I have lilacs, but they are white...I hope they bloom this year, as they did not last year, and I made a point of not pruning them last year...I will send you all the pics, if they do...I love the butterflies as well, and hope to have more this year...
sunfarm ~ I wish I could share my rain and snow with you this year...why do some states get too much and others not enough? Oh so many unanswered questions with no solution...
Kelli ~ My wimp of a cat will not even argue with the bluejays that eat her dry food on the porch...we don't have too many mockingbirds here...
cindylove & billyporter ~ field disappearing - yes...here they turn into vineyards! The nice folks from the SF bay area move here sell their expensive home, buy up a bunch of land and turn everything into vineyards...they are here as far as the eye can see in some areas in our county and the next one...El Dorado and Amador counties
billyporter ~ I have started an excess of tomatoes this year, as I have not grown them from seed in a very long time...I will tell you my experience with that disaster, some other time though...I hope to have enough to give away to soup kitchens, homeless shelters and food closets that will take fresh veggies...
crissyr ~ It sounds like you are missing SoCA...I don't...well, maybe except for Topanga...and the beaches...I do, however love living in a log cabin in the forest...in NorthernCA
sunfarm ~ they only lift the ban on burning when the ground gets sopping wet and we are unable to burn, but they expect us to clear our property every year as we are unable to burn all summer and into fall. I sused to think that 60 was cold, when I lived in SoCA! LOL!!!That apple tree is gorgeous!
kiska ~ I am new to this forum here...that picture is gorgeous...where do you live?
cindylove ~ I can't imagine watching birds kill their babies...or even other birds babies..but a lot of killing goes on that we don't even know about, huh?
adimaniti ~ I sure hope we don't get any snow in May, as we have had several this April, which is quite late for us...how is the dust in your area...has the cloud arrived yet? Oh, that is an awful thing, huh?
sunfarm ~ All I can say is WOW! Maybe we can get a psychic forum going...that ought to be interesting...as I have some to share as well, but not here, and not now..
Oh, crissyr ~ you like NoCA too! You can come and visit me..anytime! I have loads of weeds..maybe you can help, as it has been too cold and muddy this spring, which has been more like winter...except for some days have been warm..but not enough...it isn't snowing now. but a bit of rain some time ago...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 29, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7749791

DNR - Department of Natural Resources.

We have onions from seed, sets, & plants.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7749955

On the bridge...I know, I know! lol!
It came up on a show we were watching a few months ago.

Evelyn the homing instinct in pigeons is a valuable trait but not trained in.
It's just expanded by taking them further and further from home.
That doesn't take much of a brain.
Monarch Butterflies do it...
Ours came to a dinner bell though... lol!

Don't blame your cat for not messing w/ Blue Jays... they can be Holy Terrors.

Went Morel Hunting today.
Horrible weather this year and we found 1.
Tons of inedible mushrooms though.

Did have better luck at a plant sale!

Thanks for the link Bernie!
Nice to put a face to the name.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7749990

Can't get through a week without some drama. Darrell was coming home for a minute when the weather got really bad on the freeway. He fishtailed badly and hit another car. Everyone is fine but there is some damage to the car. Yup, the 'spensive one. Darrell is heartbroken.

Snow off and on all day into tomorrow. 36 now.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 29, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #7750021

Is the bridge in SCal? how about another hint- ric, what program was it on? Maybe there'll be more Morels? We found 3 in our yard last summer and hope there'll be more this year.
pepper~sounds as if your boss had her hands full.
Evelyn~welcome to Weather - I live in Palmer, Alaska. Moved up in 1978, from Woodland, Ca. Your part of Calif is beautiful.
Sunset tonight: 9:58 PM AKDT
52*F

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 29, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #7750029

oh no, kwanjin~glad everyone was ok, but sorry about Darrell's car.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 29, 2010
9:28 PM

Post #7750248

It is in Gold Rush country.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2010
10:13 PM

Post #7750291

kiska ~ I have a friend from high school in Woodland. It takes me about 2 hours to get there. How long have you lived there, and why did you move there? (If you don't mind saying so..)
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2010
1:59 AM

Post #7750383

52 -

Details for Friday, April 30
Sunny. Near record high temperatures. High 86F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph.
Evening: Mainly clear. Low near 60F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Dark

Off to work -

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2010
4:29 AM

Post #7750486

65and we slept with the window open. There's a 50% chance for rain. Yesterday was very windy! I ran over to the neighbor's and we walked her flower beds. She has a lot of tulips and lilacs right now :o) Then I came home and weeded.

I read every post. I really enjoyed the new pictures, and like Kiska, have to say the snows WERE pretty.

Bernie, thanks for the link to Michael.

Mau, gorgeous rose!

Celia, a big hug for Darrell and I'm glad he's not hurt physically.

I'm so glad to know Sharon is coming back. I didn't know why she was gone, but I sure miss her.

~ ~ ~ to everyone else!

I've been putting rhubarb in the freezer and I did get my two pies made. I shared 3/4 of one with Dad and the elderly lady we get groceries for in the winter. (She's a relative of mine)

Speaking of wind, we got it already!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 30, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #7750528

I'm not sure about driving a Corvette in snow ?

Nice rain overnight. 56
Partly cloudy.

Will be getting things ready for first Farmers Market day tomorrow. We have onions, radishes, rhubarb, & asparagus to sell. Also a ton of eggs. I think some cabbage & kohlrabi plants also.

Nice to get back to marketing, but makes for a long summer having to be there 3X a week.

Hope to get some flower bed work done today. Some dandelions to dig out. Blasted things!

Crab apples are blooming. I'll get pictures when they are prime.

Bernie
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7750785

That picture Looks like the Knights Ferry Covered Bridge.

http://www.noehill.com/stanislaus/local_knights_ferry_covered_bridge.asp

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #7750793

Unfortunately, I had to have the truck to get it safety and emissions tested for the year. Darrell just happened to find the one spot that had slush. Wouldn't you know that's how it works out?

Bernie, I love crabapple trees. The people down the street just took out 2 beautiful ones last year. So sad to see them go.

Thanks, BP. I'll give it to him this evening. LOL

35.3 F with 49 for the high. More snow, too.
Overcast
Windchill: 35 F
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 32 F
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph
Pressure: 29.85 in (Rising)
Visibility: 6.0 miles
Clouds: Few 1000 ft
Scattered Clouds 3800 ft
Overcast 4800 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Money plants blooming under the fragrant sumac.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #7750820

Evelin I'm not from SoCA, I'm from Modesto. Lived 33 1/2 of my 37 years there. I've only been here 3 years.

I hardly ever went to SoCA, nor the beaches as SF is very cold in the summer, but when the valley is 110*, 60* feels real nice!! I only went to SoCA on vacations, Los Angeles was 5 to 6 hours south of me.

Celia it's not bad, just enough to make someone feel sick. Glad that's all the damage he had.

Sweet moose Kiska!! Love the pic, great idea!

Well it's going to be cloudy this morning and big time storms this afternoon, hopefully it will wait til I'm home from work, hate it when storms come over in the afternoon.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
7:53 AM

Post #7750961

I love covered bridges. That one in the photos/link above is, I believe, the longest covered bridge I have ever seen.
Kiska: great photos of you with the moose in the background. that might have been on the thread in the "other building" LOL-- sometimes it is hard to keep up with both places!
Bernie: hope you have a successful day at the farmer's market on Saturday!
BP: I have never tasted rhubarb pie. How about sending me a bite? LOL

The skies are dark and threatening looking even now. Currently it is 72F and the wind is blowing. Not a good day to be outside.
# Today: Mostly cloudy and windy with scattered strong thunderstorms developing this afternoon. Storms may produce large hail and strong winds. High 77F. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
# Tonight: Thunderstorms...possibly severe, especially early. Low 66F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%. Locally heavy rainfall possible.

My 25 yr. old DGS, Christopher, is taking part in the annual "Stuck on a Truck" contest in Conway, AR this week-end during the annual "Toad Suck Daze" festival in Conway. The weather doesn't look too promising but they are under a tent. I hope he wins the truck. He is young, strong and healthy so he has as good a chance as anyone of winning it. Here is a link: You can see him in view 2 of the webcam. He is at the front of the truck and is the 6 foot tall guy with the blonde curly hair.

http://www.stuckonatruck.com/webcam.php

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #7750976

Good luck to him, Mau. Do they get bathroom breaks?
kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 30, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #7750986

36*F Quiet-sun's highlighting the mountaintops.
CG~have a good day tomorrow as the season begins.
Evelyn~we came to Alaska in 1978. My DH's job brought us here. It was a jolt, to say the least, but the spell of the North really took hold and here we stay.
kelli~if not Knight's Ferry, how about Ione>Copperopolis area?
crissyr~hope the storm holds off, too.
bp~yummm-rhubarb will so good throughout the year.
Dyson~have a good day~
kwanjin~that is how it seems to work>

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 30, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #7750999

marsue~great link~they look as if they are in for the long haul.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #7751053

Yep, it's a long haul-48 hours, I think, maybe more. They get a 5 minute break once an hour and every 6 hours they get a 15 minute break. I couldn't do it but, as I said, if you are young and healthy, you have a pretty good chance. They have to go through a selection process and be drug tested before and during the contest. There are a lot of applicants and he was fortunate to be one of the chosen few. You can read the rules on the link I posted above.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2010
8:57 AM

Post #7751134

70 something outside and storming a bit. Comes and goes.

Iris and hosta

Thumbnail by pepper23

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 30, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #7751140

Boy if I lived in the south & couldn't have rhubarb, I soon would be moving north.
Pie, crisp, sauce, it don't matter. It is to die for!
It basically grows wild here. Once it's planted, it's no maintenance.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2010 11:00 AM
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2010
9:02 AM

Post #7751146

Rhubarb, asparagus, lilacs, and peonies are the 4 plants I miss the most living down here. Okra is not much of a consolation. LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #7751189

Marylyn, I have lived in the south (Arkansas) all of my life except for a one year stint in Kansas City, MO. I have never known what all the fuss is about okra. Boiled, it is just plain disgusting (slimy)! Fried, it wouldn't have any taste if it wasn't for the crispy corn meal "crust" and lots of salt and pepper. The only way I really like it is pickled. (By the way, don't tell any of my southern friends how I feel about okra! LOL) We can grow 3 of the 4 plants down here that you mentioned. Maybe it is too humid where you live to grow them. I can't speak for rhubarb--don't know if we can grow it down here. We do have humid summers, too, so I don't know why you couldn't grow peonies, asparagus and lilacs. I have a peony now that is simply loaded in buds! My MIL has a lilac just outside her front door. I do know that folks grow asparagus in their gardens but I don't know about the rhubarb.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 30, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7751256

Marilyn, you and me both when it comes to okra. Pickled is good, the rest I can do without. I guess I am hopelessly a Yankee, except when it comes to baseball. Gotta "hate" the NY Yankees. ;-) Stuck on a Truck - pretty funny, and what's even funnier is that people will sit there and watch other people standing around. I would go nowhere in that contest, with my flat feet, need for sleep, and all. Yeah, not only am I a Yankee, I'm a wuss. ;-)

Marylyn, I've seen rhubarb plants for sale in the nursery here (Green Thumb, Evelyn, yay!). If it can be grown here, I'd think it could be grown where you are. I did try it once, but I didn't water it enough and it died.

The bridge is the Bridgeport covered bridge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeport_Covered_Bridge We were up in that area circa 1995 and stayed at a bed and breakfast in Grass Valley. I don't know why we never went back to the area, seeing as we both like history 'n' stuff.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2010
10:20 AM

Post #7751346

Peonies and lilacs want more chill hours than we can give them. They both grow fine not very far north of here, but don't like Houston at all. Dogwood and hostas, too. I don't know if the deal with asparagus and rhubarb is the lack of chill hours or the abundance of humidity, but neither of them will grow here. (sniff, pout...) And I feel the same way about okra... ick. LOL

I'm a wuss, too, Kelli! I've seen short snippets of things like the "Stuck on a Truck" and by the last few hours the people are obviously in pain, and very cranky from the lack of sleep. I think I'll just keep putting pennies in the piggy bank and buy a vehicle the old fashioned way! LOL We need to buy one sooner rather than later, actually, to replace my ailing 1996 Geo Metro. It's been a good car, but things are starting to wear out, and the bunnies are getting too big for the back seat.

In the meantime, I'm having fun glancing at Marilyn's grandson on the webcam when I come by the computer. :-)
kiska

(Zone 3b)

April 30, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #7751426

The link/camera is great; quite a contest.
kelli~Bridgeport>>on the next visit down there, will have to go see it. It's beautiful, as is Bridgeport-(now the name makes it clear why it's called, Bridgeport).
hi Marylyn.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2010
10:56 AM

Post #7751435

Hi, kiska!! :-)
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #7751535

Never got into that part of CA, ever. Was too hot and dry and icky I suppose. Modesto is certainly icky enough, especially right now. Did drive once when I was small with the Classic Chevy Club up I-5 to Oregon once, that was fun. I always wanted to go to the lava flow state park and other things they have up there, but never did. Dave took me to Napa after we were engaged about a year before we left, I had never been there either! LOL Always went due East or South.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modesto,_ca
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 30, 2010
1:11 PM

Post #7751754

Kiska and Crissy - not the eastern Sierra Bridgeport, the Gold Rush Country Bridgeport. It's not a town, just a place. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=s&lat=39.291627&lon=-121.196471&zoom=18&q1=Grass Valley, CA Zoom in and you'll see it. (A satellite photo of a covered bridge, what a combination.)

This message was edited Apr 30, 2010 1:13 PM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2010
1:15 PM

Post #7751770

Bernie, it would take a lot of patience to do a farmers market. You have a lot to offer. I'll bet it goes fast!

Celia, where did your spring go? Your money plant is almost my sweet rocket. It's beautiful!

Marsue, even better, it's custard. No egg taste, tho only the yolks are used. It's sweet, with the tart rhubarb, and very good! I really hope he gets the truck! I'd be thinking about how to get every one's handprints off of it! I'm enjoying the web cam too :o)

Pepper, I love the irisa/hosta combo!

Bernie, we make a rhubarb shortcake. You make the batter, and pour the rhubarb mixed with boiling water and sugar on top, and bake. Yum!

Marylyn, I would miss those four too. We had grilled aspragus for dinner. No okra for me either :o) Smiling over pennies in the piggy bank. Me too!

Kelli, I'd be at the front sprawled on the hood napping :o)

Took a while to get here, but we got dark, had marble sized hail for a few seconds and a downpour for a few minutes. Then, like Pepper, it comes and goes. I love hearing the thunder. It dropped from almost 80 at 1:30, to 68 now. I ran to my elderly relative's house this morn and picked her rhubarb for her. She likes to make the blender rhubarb pie. I hung clothes out and they got dry. I'm glad I haven't washed any windows yet!!

Look what I picked today. It's never happened with the asparagus. just the coneflowers :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2010
1:22 PM

Post #7751799

BP, I don't know where our Spring went and you have an asparagus hand!!! LOL

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 30, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #7752057

I'm so behind the thread! I have been busy with our friend from Germany who came to Romania because his mom died. We have been friends since childhood, thoughg he is 4 years younger. I was a friend with his sister, but he always loved to hang around with us...of course we didn't like it!LOL
It was very warm today, about 70F and it's going to be warmer and warmer, like Summer.
DH staying on the terrace, before I mowed the lawn.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #7752103

I'm glad you all are enjoying the web cam view of Stuck on a Truck. Right now (5:28 CDT) my grandson is on the left side in view 2 at the tailgate. It looks like a few of the contestants have dropped out but it is hard to tell. I keep trying to count them but it is difficult given the fact that the web cam photos keep changing. They started with 23, I think. At last count, I got 18 or 19.

BP: the rhubarb pie sounds delicious! and fresh asparagus! wonderful! I even like cold asparagus tips in a fresh salad.

Celia: is that a hellebore on the left side of your photo? My green hellebore started blooming weeks ago and is still going strong.
Adina: your DH looks like he is enjoying himself.

No rain here yet, but there is a severe thunderstorm taking place up in the northern section of the state up close to Missouri. The front is making its way across the state as I type and is pretty close to the center of the state. It will be here soon. :o(( The local weather guy just said we may be in for a night of some bad weather. It doesn't sound good. Currently 68F.

I took this photo of my green hellebore today.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2010 5:39 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 30, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #7752113

Mau, how sweet!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7752121

Now, I want pie! LOL

Yes, mau, that's the white one. The red one and another white/green one are on the other side of the yard. I need to figure out how to get that black strip out of the front of the bed. It''s stuck.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7752123

And waving at Adina!!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #7752170

Celia, neat wall!

Adina, it sounds like a wonderful time with many stories to laugh over! It's a lovely green yard!

Mau, check the contestants and it will tell you who is out. Grandson is very nice looking! I really hope he doesn't forget to hold on! Such a healthy looking hellebore. No tatters or anything!

Our rain is over. 1-6/10'' Now the grass will grow an inch and I'll be mowing tomorrow.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 30, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7752218

Sally, you are right! We have many funny stories to laugh about...that reminds me of one of the 2 brothers. They were always arguing and fighting. One day, his sister and I met and she told me she had hit her brother in the head with a spoon and he went straight to bed!LOL
Celia, waving back at you!
Here's a visitor to our field...DH says she will bring baby Nicholas!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #7752264

Adina, funny stories, yes!

A stork! That is the neatest thing to see in the back yard considering!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #7752319

A stork! It could be any time now, Adina! LOL (Do you have a chimney--storks do drop the baby down the chimney, don't they?)

thanks for that tip, BP, on checking the contestants. I'll do that now.
edited to add: I just checked and only two of the contestants have been eliminated so far--looks like it is going to be awhile before somebody wins that truck!

We have severe weather in the state--thunderstorm warnings and tornado watches. Nothing has arrived in my area yet but it will be here within about 3 hours or less according to the local weather folk. In the event of severe weather, the contestants in Stuck on a Truck will be taken to the sponsoring bank until the threat passes. They keep them all under surveillance and also do drug testing to make sure nobody is taking anything to help them stay awake, etc.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2010 6:42 PM
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 30, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #7752322

Quoting:Look what I picked today. It's never happened with the asparagus. just the coneflowers

Ear of corn, head of cabbage, and hand of asparagus

Quoting:Here's a visitor to our field...DH says she will bring baby Nicholas!
Of course! Why else would he be there?

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on April 30, 2010
72 F
Clear
Humidity: 20%
Dew Point: 28 F
Wind: 12 mph from the NW
Wind Gust: 18 mph

a few hiking pictures - someone painting a picture

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 30, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7752328

The pond is still full.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 30, 2010
4:41 PM

Post #7752332

mariposa lily

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 30, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #7752334

The color of the sky and the color of owls clover is a great combination.

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #7752340

"hand of asparagus" LOL, Kelli! nice photos!

first bloom on the peony this season (see, Marylyn?)

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 30, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7752361

Do ants get all over your peonies? I've heard that the flowers won't open if they don't have the ants to stimulate them. I don't know if that is true. I'm kind of skeptical about it.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #7752485

Finally stopped raining just before 3pm. Had several more quick storms after last post but I'm not complaining. My plants are loving it!! Temps dropped also from 80 to low 70s, high 60s. Vey nice!!

Hey Ric, Jose says hi!!! LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2010

Post #7752653

Mine and my neighbors peonies open just fine w/o ant helpers. :-)

Great pics, everyone.

The sun poked it's head through the clouds a bit ago and it felt wonderful! 48 and partly cloudy.

Weeping peach still looking very pretty.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7752702

The 'tell' on the Bridge is the curve... I saw a kid doing a model on some craft show.

Hi Jose! Lookin' Good!

Peonies don't need ants to open. But why bother w/ spraying them.
They'll move on as soon as the buds open... and other critters eat them...

We're under a Flash Flood Watch till Monday morning.
Of course we aren't in ANY danger of Flash Floods at our location.
Heavy T-Storms moving in in the next 12 hours or so... threat of T-S's continuing for 36 hours.
Moderate winds here today but sustained very little gusting.
80 at least.
Pond is done except for some planting.
We did re-pot the water plants... had to the Koi are pulling them out of the pots.
So new soil and heavy rock mulch! lol!

Adina Storks are a sign of good luck in many countries.
Better clean out the Chimney!

Kelli lovely!!

Mau nice Piney!

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 30, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7752723

Quoting:We did re-pot the water plants... had to the Koi are pulling them out of the pots

Yep, they do that.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7752904

Ric, you can have the excess rain if you are not in a flood-prone area. Our house is on high ground but our access gets cut off if we get too much rain (usually over 2.5-3 inches) too fast. They have not extended the flash flood warning to our county, but I am more concerned about late tomorrow and Sunday rather than earlier.

Nice day today. Got the lawn done, so we can cancel the order for the goat. Got up to 83 and more flowers are coming out. First rhododendron picture.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #7752926

I do have ants on the peony buds but evidently, according to some of you folk, they don't have a thing to do with the buds opening.

We just had a tornado come through here but it was a few miles to the east of me, thank goodness. Friday and I did take cover in the bathtub with pillows over us. I didn't have to persuade him to get in there with me--he just jumped right in. He has been in my lap all night--stuck to me like glue! Animals seem to have a sixth things about the weather.
The NWS has just upgraded the entire state to a high risk for tornadoes until 7a.m. and flash flooding is occurring right now in several counties. There have been confirmed deaths due to one tornado in the north central area of the state, unfortunately.

Well, the electricity just went off but I am on wireless internet so my laptop is the only thing that is working right now--must have been a lightning strike somewhere nearby. The electricity just came back on so that is good!
Lots of thunder and lightning and rain right now with another tornado warning to the north of me. Looks like it is going to be a loooooong night. I won't be going to bed anytime soon!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 30, 2010
8:12 PM

Post #7752981

Be careful! I hope nothing happens at Stuck on Truck, either.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
8:16 PM

Post #7752993

Thanks, Kelli! Amazingly, though there have been tornadoes all around the Conway area where Stuck on a Truck is taking place, there have not been any warnings for the city of Conway itself and the contestants remain "stuck on the truck". I check the webcam every few minutes to make sure that everyone up there is okay. I'm glad your DH is getting a kick out of Stuck on a Truck! LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
9:12 PM

Post #7753101

Sorry to say there are now 3 confirmed dead 25 injured from the Tornado in Van Buren county AR.
House down in Center Ridge... searching for missing occupants.
As I said before damaged and dark is VERY dangerous for rescuers.
Add still unsettled weather and they may have to seek shelter themselves.

I've switched to Cabot, AR local weather.
Looks like you've got another hit coming.
Good Luck Mau and Chrissy!
Follow Friday's lead he appears to be very in tune w/ the situation.

I've got the Stuck on a Truck on a smaller window.
Looks like they are getting a bit restless...
Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
9:27 PM

Post #7753137

Another thunderstorm is coming through right now (11:25 p.m.) Friday is laying across my lap. The cable tv is up again so I can watch the local tv weather guy, who has been on constantly since 6 p.m. They are really good about keeping up with what is going on across the state. No tornado warnings in my immediate area just now although there are a couple of warnings in the state right now.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
9:31 PM

Post #7753149

I'm checking the stuck on a truck every few minutes. I'm not sure when they get their next 15 minute break but maybe they will get one at midnight. They will get at least a 5 minute break soon.

The governor of Arkansas has ordered the National Guard out for search and rescue missions in the areas that have been hard hit.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2010
9:48 PM

Post #7753188

Good deal!
They are trained in many aspects of rescue.
Most important now is keeping control and coordinating the different attempts.
They will take over the operation and bring some sort of order.

Looks like the main punch of the front has passed through your area.
Good Luck! Off to bed.

We'll be seeing it tomorrow.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2010
10:59 PM

Post #7753332

Kelli, the mariposas grow wild here...did you plant yours?
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2010
11:43 PM

Post #7753389

Is anyone up besides me? I'm up with a severe thunderstorm going to the south of me, and thunder over me but it's not severe, thank goodness! Marilyn I have been worried about you and KA, East End got hit hard, and one of the girls I work with lives there, but she's fine, I text her to check on her. Just about a mile outside of Sheridan got hit around 11:00 too, I know a couple of people who work in my building who live there, plus Dave's cousin Robin lives there. I told him he's going to have to call her tomorrow.

There were 79 tornado warnings total, the weather guy on channel 11 said that he hasn't seen that many tornado warning since 1999. There were two storm lines that was nothing but tornado warnings, one was to the east of me and one was to the west of me, I was in the middle and throwing a nervous fit. They said that the tornadic activity will settle down but expect it to pick back up again as soon as the sun rises, and they say tomorrows supposed to be worse than tonight. I think I'm just going to crawl in a hole in the house. I've been listening to thunder for 6 hours straight.

There's a flash flood warning update for Malvern, Arkadelphia, Poyen, Carthridge that there has been over 4 inches of rain that has fallen in the past 3 hours.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
3:34 AM

Post #7753478

[quote= Stuck on a Truck! [/quote]

What is mean of "Stuck on a Truck" It was new to me that I didn't know what is it?

I have trouble with my phone was no direct connect but internet is still on and Dish Network still working but not phone no call out and call in... So, it was wire broken off between the street near my home pole to pole so guy fix for emergency orange wire from the pole to my home box... Wow! that's long wire for hook up with phone, internet and tv... So, guy will fix the wire today around 8 am for sure it no raining in morning good so it will be showers later on afternoon... I just pateint for phone keep on that if something happen to me...

past days, has a bad hair! (windy) for 3-1/2 days... sometimes raining for while...

I got some iris' blooming so beautiful all different colors...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2010
4:00 AM

Post #7753502

54and it's Dyson Dark! Must have clouds lingering. It's to be mostly sunny witha high of 75. Southwest breeze 10 - 15 mph. It sounds like a perfect day, sigh.

Happy May Day!

Kelli, giggling over the body part vegetables. I love trees! I took pictures of every large, or interesting tree in my town, and any that catch my eye anywhere else. I love that pond :o) Neat detail in the Mariposa! Pink and blue are good color combos.

Mau, a delicious peony. Wow!!

Kelli, the ants are after the sweet sticky covering on the buds. It's a food source only.

Celia, the peach is still gorgeous!

Sunfarm, may your roads stay open. Going to be a gorgeous rhodie!

Oh Marsue, that must have been nerve racking! Poor Friday. Our cat hid behind the chair during the thunder.

My heart goes out to those who died. I don't have a basement either, and I know it's hit and miss. We've had one a few blocks from us, so Mau, you were lucky.

The big gnats have hatched out. I have a small spray bottle of vanilla. I close my eyes and spritz my face, stick a finger in the ear and spritz the ear. Works better than the war paint smears :o)

We also had lightning bugs hatch out the other night.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 1, 2010
4:15 AM

Post #7753529

New month, New Thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1093173/
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #7753904

just in case Rusty doesn't see the new thread, I will post this link over here.

Rusty, you can read about "Stuck on a Truck" by clicking on this link. Be sure to click on the webcam, too, so you can see the people who are participating. My grandson is in this and he is really wanting to win that truck! :o))

http://www.stuckonatruck.com/webcam.php

P.S. Rusty, your iris are beautiful!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America