Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Georgia Gardening: Does anyone have an orange tree?

Communities > Forums > Georgia Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Georgia GardeningReplies: 19, Views: 192
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

April 16, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #7711733

Hi y'all ...
I went to my HD today, and they had what was listed on the tags as "naval" orange trees. Does anyone know if they'd survive my 8B zone? Does anyone have an orange, and if so, what kind? Oh, I'd love to have an orange tree!
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7713867

My neighbor down the street has orange trees...not sure what kind. They were full of oranges last fall and also a tangerine tree. We planted one orange, one pink grapefruit and a meyers lemon tree. They all lost their leaves due to the cold temps but the grapefruit and lemon tree are blooming with new leaves coming out. The navel orange looks like tiny little places are beginning to sprout. Time will tell if it makes it.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

April 17, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7713873

Thanks! I'm just so tempted! sigh
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7716400

Would you like a meyers lemon? I have some little seedlings I grew. They smell wonderful!! But don't think they make very good pies. LOL
I haven't tried to grow oranges ,,,yet..
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

April 18, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #7716537

Thanks sooo much, but I already have one. What I really need is a lime. You don't happen to have one of those? hahaha :-)

One question, though ... what do you fertilize your meyer with?
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #7718193

I would like to know too!! My meyers lemon is blooming and getting new leaves after it got bald last fall HA HA I sure hope I get some lemons. Are they good for cakes and etc??? A neighbor gave me a few last fall and they were wonderful in my ice tea.
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2010
7:39 PM

Post #7719748

Susan, do you mean key lime? If so, I have a few also. I used a fruit fertilizer. I think I got it at Lowe's.
Flippers, My mom declares that M. Lemons aren't really good for making pies... I have to say that I'm not much of a cook..
Now, that reminds me, I need to search for gallon lemons. My grandmother had these.
My Meyers is full of bloom and smelling wonderful!
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

April 19, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7719882

Wow, is there something I could trade you for one? BTW ... happy birthday late! :-)

Hey, I have a wonderful lemon pie I make using Meyer lemons! LMK if you want the recipe.
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7722528

101, I would LOVE the recipe!!!! I need to go out and see if my blooms smell good. I haven't gotten that close!
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #7723622

I grow a few different citrus trees.

Tangerines or mandarins are your best bet. No they are not the same.
I grow a cara cara navel orange which has proved cold hardy to 25 and I also grow what's called a sanbokan grapefruit which is cold hardy into the teens. Meyers lemon are fairly cold hardy but they don't taste like a regular lemon. The rind is not the same at all so it can't be used for cooking where you need to get the flavor (oils) out of the rind.

8B is going to be tricky to grow citrus in. I'm in 9a and I had to be picky in what I planted and they all did well this year with winter temps heading down to the middle twenties for many nights. If you want a more detailed list I tell you what exactly I planted.

This is a good site to check out. http://www.plantfolks.com/preview/sitebuilder/Plantfolks/CitrusAvailability.html

Picture is of my cara cara orange which is a pink navel orange blooming yesterday. It's only 7ft X 6ft and if you notice there is some damage on the old leaves from the cold but over all it came through the winter fine and a new flush of leaves is coming in with the flowers.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Click the image for an enlarged view.

IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

April 21, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #7723747

Thanks so much for this wonderful info! It made me drool just reading it!
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #7734208

Yes, Susan, I have a key lime I will send you. I keep mine in the greenhouse during the winter. And I would love the recipe, too for the lemon pie.
Good info, Core.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

April 25, 2010
8:27 AM

Post #7735342

Oh, thank you! Watch your Dmail. :-)
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7736593

Not citrus but I grow a few other fruits in 9a if you're interested. I grow figs, pomegranates and plums. I've tried peaches but I needed a low chill hour peach and they were killed off by something and always had bacterial spot so I won't be trying those again.
daugenet
Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #7771771

This company in SC appears to specialize in cold hardy citrus. I have wanting to order from them but have held off since I drive near there on the way to my in laws so i dont want to pay shipping :-)

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/3261/
http://mckenzie-farms.com/photo.htm
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #7778996

Mckenzie farms is friends with the plant folks guy (Ned Rahn). These guys on the coast seem to be all interlinked or at least know each other and what they are up to. I give Mckenzie farms a thumb up.
bavery
Atlanta, GA

May 22, 2010
9:23 PM

Post #7818655

Home Depot in Atlanta is selling Meyer Lemon trees, and some sort of orange tree. I thought that was odd since I have never seen anyone successfully grow citrus trees in Atlanta (unless in a pot that comes indoors in winter). But maybe they have developed some new varieties?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
7:34 AM

Post #7819382

They are for pot culture and will produce fruit once mature. They do fine in any sunny room, but do best in an enclosed plant or sun room where temps tend to be variable and humidity higher. Lowes in Sandy Springs had a bunch of both out on the clearance rack this past week for $1.50. Some were going or gone but others looked just fine.
Laurel
GardnGator
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2010
1:28 PM

Post #7945375

I grew up in Gainesville, FL and was able to grow a pink grapefruit from seed (not supposed to work well). Funny thing was, only one branch would bear. It got to be about 20' tall, and eventually a freeze did it in. Here in Tallahassee, we easily grow satsuma mandarins---they do famously. I don't know how far north of me you are, Waaaaay Down South, but with global warming and all, we are growing more and more things that used to be impossible just 30 years ago. Kumquats are easy, but lemons still need a pot. Good luck!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #7945750

Interesting. So where's the better gardening? Gainesville or Tallahassee. I'd vote Tallahassee. If your a college football fan you must have had a life crisis when you moved. lol
Laurel

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Georgia Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Favorite Local Nursery? violabird 23 Apr 17, 2007 9:17 PM
Corn Gluten Meal SusanCalvert 10 Aug 11, 2009 7:40 PM
wild roses teateacher 11 Jun 1, 2007 4:31 PM
Grass out, Moss in soupcon 15 May 14, 2008 4:28 PM
powdery mildew remedies soupcon 4 May 31, 2007 3:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America