Planes, etc Vol. 2

PERTH, Australia

We've come from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1038548/

The Red Bull Air Race Finals are being held in Perth this weekend. I can hear them zooming about in the distance as I'm typing this. I spent a few hours watching the pilots practicing yesterday afternoon and thought I'd share some with you.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

The same plane over the city only seconds later, making a turn onto the race.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Same plane manoeuvring through the course.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Red plane

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Same plane in the course.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Sorry, wrong photo. Here's the one I meant to post.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Again.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Red Bull

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

? Team Audi

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Vividwireless

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Love this one's smoke trail

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I don't know how close it came to this bird, but there wasn't a strike.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

"Next"

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

"Roger"

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Same plane in the course only seconds later.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I love this shot.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Same aircraft over the city heading down to the course.

The day before, a Brazilian pilot had a high speed dive into the Swan River. He was rescued within a minute and taken to hospital. Initially they said he was critically injured, but it turned out he had a minor whiplash injury and was released the following day, walking out of the hospital into the throng of waiting media. It was his first tour with the RBAR. He's reportedly enjoying (I'll bet he isn't enjoying it) the race from his city hotel.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Roulettes aerobatic team from the RAAF base at Pearce. This was a carpark shot just as I got out of the car.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Roulettes 2

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I grabbed a couple of shots of this plane, which was not part of the race (well I hope not with those missiles strapped to its wings), from the carpark as well.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Last one. I hope you enjoyed them. I may go and have another look tomorrow afternoon.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Melbourne, FL

Those are all terrific shots, Margaret. That must be such fun to watch. Thanks for starting Part 2 of this fun thread. I came across this while clearing pics and thought I would repost it again, even though I believe it is in the 1st thread. Taken while the Sheriffs' helicopter searched the neighborhood.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
PERTH, Australia

It was wonderful, GP. I didn't manage to get to the first part of the race today, but may go for a while tomorrow afternoon. I took, wait for it, 900 photos yesterday. I do love planes. I just wish I could have used my big lens.

I recall you posting that shot. If I remember correctly, the sheriff didn't locate you. Your beautiful garden hid you well. LOL.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Mags, Geoff is drooling and still green with envy ;o)) Maybe, after we spend time in Hawaii, we can go back to Aus with you and see the air races!

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Beautiful shots, Margaret. It's been a long time since I went to an airshow, with my "Brownie" camera. You did quite well with the lens that you were using. I actually like some of the photos that are the more distant shots because it puts a totally different perspective on the photograph. Sometimes, I like to see the big picture. You certainly had a good vantage point. Take plenty of batteries and media cards. Looking forward to more photos .......

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Great shots Margaret! I've never seen an air-race, (I don't think they hold them near here), but I go to the airshow here in long Island every year. Thank you for sharing your pics!

PERTH, Australia

Kim, who knows, that may well be a possibility. What fun that would be.

Thanks Linth. I was up at King's Park, a natural bushland reserve and botanic garden overlooking the city. It's arguably the place most frequented by tourists, but is equally as popular with the locals. The zoom lens does come in handy and it's so much lighter than the 300 and the 400 so doesn't play havoc with my shoulders, but it's no good for bird watching.

Thank you, WC. You should treat yourself to a trip to Osh Kosh one year. It is really amazing watching these pilots go through the course. They flip from what seems to be a 90 degree angle of bank one way to a 90 degree angle of bank the other within a split second. Today should be perfect for the final. The weather is absolutely glorious.

Ooh Margaret, you make it sound so inviting! The closest I came to you guys was Figi, (I had my choice between Figi & New Guinea as a scuba destination and I picked Figi, took me 31 hrs to get there from NY. Australia sounds so inviting now... Lucky you to be able to enjoy the races, the weather and the exotic, unique wildlife of Australia well! ☺

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Speaking of Oshkosh, our town is hosting the staging of the DC-3 fly in to oshkosh. Should be really really crowded, but I might get some shots.

http://www.airventure.org/news/2010/100304_dc3growing.html

I'm heading for this one...

http://www.jonesbeachairshow.com/index.html

Melbourne, FL

That will be a wonderful day, I'm sure. I see one of the pilots from Margarets races will even be there.

PERTH, Australia

WC, that should be absolutely spectacular. Take lots of photos when you go.

I obviously got it wrong when I said the final was in Perth, as there's more to come in New York in June. You're going to spoiled rotten, WC. (Shades of green here).

Mrs Ed, how fabulous to have the DC3's flying in enroute to Oshkosh. Will you go and see and hear them? There's a DC3 that does pleasure flights around Perth and I just LOVE the sound of the deep rumble of those engines.

I'm sure they'll be flying over my house, as the airport is only a couple miles from me. But yah, I'll probably brave the crowds to try to get to see them up close. Can you imagine what 40 sound like?

PERTH, Australia

I can indeed. BTW, how is Mr Ed?

Melbourne, FL

Another shot of the Piaggio.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

And the training helicopter.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Mr. Ed is fine, thanks for asking. I think he's doing better than I am, but that may just because he is used to being sick all the time, LOL.

Melbourne, FL

The Met Life blimp.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images