Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Peonies: Peony Not Coming Up

Communities > Forums > Peonies
bookmark
Forum: PeoniesReplies: 7, Views: 118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Golden_Eagle
Wauseon, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #7712325

I have a Peony that I planted last Fall and it is not coming up. In fact the stem of it is very rubbery and it will brake off. Is it dead?
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

April 17, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7713713

What kind did you plant? Some come up early, some come up late. If tree peony your plant may have died. Stop touching the stem to give it time.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2010
8:16 PM

Post #7714117

Some of my herbaceous peonies are more than a foot high, others only a few inches high, and one has just poked its head through the soil. I usually see what looks like a pointed maroon sprout, Then when it's about 1-2 inches high, it sprouts what looks like a little tree.

Depending on the variety, and if your ground is pretty shaded and cold, it may come up later. It also depends on how many eyes were on the plant and how deep you planted it. All of the peonies I put in as bare roots a few years ago are just coming into maturity now. They were very reasonably priced and had 2 eyes. I bought so many that there were singles, semi-doubles, bombs, etc. I don't remember if they came up the first year, but they did not look like peony plants the second year and didn't start to bloom till at least year 3. Even a few had buds that second year, but they failed to bloom. The bud never grew larger, and it dried up. I know now that if I want a stronger plant, it will cost more money.

So to put in in a nutshell, have faith and patience. Peonies are pretty particular. They don't like to be moved, some need 500 hours of temps 40 degrees and below, and unless they're tree peonies, they don't want much more than about an inch of so of soil above the roots. Once they are happy, you can ignore them and they'll produce.

The peonies in the attached are from Costco, and they should be bigger and better this year.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7755516

Golden, any sign of growth yet?
Golden_Eagle
Wauseon, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #7755959

As of Saturday May 1st. there is no sign of any growth. I truly believe that there will be no growth for mu other ones are going to bud.

All through I have move the other ones 2 years ago, where they were first there is growth coming up there where last year there was no growth. I don't know what to think of that.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #7756471

Even my very smallest ones are at least 4 inches high. If I were you, I'd dig it up and take a look.
Golden_Eagle
Wauseon, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #7777201

I was so happy this past week when I seen a little green coming from my peony. I can not believe that it is so late in coming up.

Now we will see if it gets any flowers on it.
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #7777211

Love that number three Cathy. Very nice.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peonies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fen Dan Bai Tree Peony RDT 10 Oct 4, 2012 12:02 AM
Dividing Peonies garyt 61 Nov 24, 2010 2:32 PM
Peonies and sun or lack of same butterflywi 18 Feb 15, 2011 5:21 AM
looking for peony can trade perennial plants jeaninpgh 5 Oct 7, 2012 3:04 PM
Dried out "cover" on peony buds DonnaMack 28 Jun 8, 2007 12:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America