Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Howdy Gang... been away about 6 days...

I'll update in my next post...

we came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1085213/

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

good

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I still have to go out and survey all the containers. i did see my Silk Gold Asclipias germinated. [YAY]

when i left town last week, i was telling my son which plants needed to be watched because they were in shallow dished... i honestly did not think i'd be gone 6 days.... I had totally forgotten about my 'sterile' container filled with seedlings.... yeaks... lost most of them.

the arctic chamomile, dead. Jubilee Gem Bach Buttons... dead... and i few others. I watered them, HOPING there may be a little bit of life left in them... but i'm not sure.

all the poppies i planted... dead. they did not get any rain while i was gone.
and i did notice some were trampled, by i'm assuming the neighbors dog.

I hope i have more of those Bach BUttons... i haven't check the seed basket yet.

Ugggggggggg.....

Terese

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

bummer... I was going to go out and take photos of mine... too windy & cold.. maybe tomorrow.. hehe

New Milford, CT

Oh, therese ... so sorry. That completely sucks.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I may end up working [yes, me - actually getting a job] in the office in the park where i live. If so, next year i will have to make major changes in my WSing as i'd be working April 15- Oct 15th. it would be part time... but i couldnt shoot home for a week or so, just a few days...not nearly enough time to do anything major.

when i come home for the week of the 9th.... i will have to plant fast and furious... my kid will be graduating on the 14th and also moving that weekend... so wont have a lot of time to play in the dirt.

According to my spreadsheet... i did not plant all the Jubilee bACH bUTTONS, [ops] so i'll get more going tomorrow. they just look so cute all compact and all. much better than the taller ganglier ones that i'm used to.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

So sorry about your plants, Terese.

Karen

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks... ya always hate seeing them all shriveled up.... i can't believe i completely forgot about the box.
a few perked back up after watering them with the "tonic".

I think 1 Chinese House survived, Salvia Wild Clary perked a bit too.
so really all i lost was the Chamomile, as i should have more Bach Buttons.

Chippewa Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

My chias all survived the snow. Third night in the 30's here. Just to clarify, potted some seedlings to sell at a Village Plant Sale on Mother's Day.-those are the ones we moved inside. Zone 5 is way too iffy to leave them out in little pots this time of year. the chia clumps we hunked out and planted in the ground are doing amazing well w/ the weather! Think I lost all my little farewell to spring which were the first germinated. Pretty far out of zone on those, and when they were transferred to pots never recovered.

However, I received my first bottle of Superthrive Friday, so will see if that helps!

tcs, that is my worst fear every morning, and after this third night I'll have my fingers crossed tomorrow. I am so sorry you got hit like that.

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

Terese, I am so sorry you lost plants. I hope the rest of your bach butts make it ok

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Jnette: It is fine for Anita to plant out her gaillardias now in zone 5a. They are hardy perennials.

Karen

Terese, speaking of the "tonic", I mixed up a batch and started feeding it to all my indoor plants and sprouts in the jugs that need a drink. I think I can tell a different on a couple of my young plants, clematis and a dahlia. I had not been feeding them anything so as seedlings, they probably really like the "tonic".

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Anita... glad to hear that.

I did end up ordering some SuperThrive from Amazon... yes, the price is cheaper, yes the shipping seems high... but over all, it was cheaper to buy on line than to drive to the store and pay tax on top... i think I paid $20 and change for 2 delivered... and i recall paying almost $14 at the store with tax included.

I'm going to give one as a door prize at our RU this June.

I was reading some information about the ingredients in the tonic.

It sounds like the ammonia is a nitrogen and hydrogen source just like someone stated. I think that came from Neal.

I think the Epsom Salt provides magnesium and sulphur. Magnesium supposedly aids in strengthening the plant cell walls, allowing the plant to take in the nutrients it needs. It also aids in seed germination, photosynthesis and in the formation of fruits and seeds

The molasses added to the soil of almost any plant to promote microbial activity and for flower blooming and fruiting enhancer.

I can't find any information on how beer benefits plants. I was curious about the tonic and what it offered as a benefit for plants. Thought you all might want to know what I found and chime in to explain to me what I just cut and pasted. LoL

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

here are my babies #1

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

#4 last one

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

and reaping the benefits of last years WS'ing... poppy Oregon rainbows

Thumbnail by onewish1
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Anita... THANKS!! i just havent had the time to figure that all out.

Onewish... very nice!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks... they are getting there

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Lookin' good, Allison!

Karen

Onewish, gorgeous! Makes me hopeful cuz I've got one jug of annual chia poppies, and one of Oriental that are just starting to peek out.

With mid-30's the past three nights, and expected again tonight, I am pleased to announce that the only casualty were my cypress vine sprouts, which I think I just planted cuz the seeds were free, and a semi-casualty with Purple Cleome. The Cleome is looking a bit frost-bit (all had covers on) so I brought it in for the night cuz that's one I really want.

Today I had 2 yards of leaf humus, and one of sweet peat delivered to start new lily, daylily and rose beds tomorrow. An exciting week to come. Also cleared out some huge hostas, over 20 years old and NEVER divided today, so I have a brand new perennial space for my WSing babies. I am so delighted with WS overall and the support from all of you.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

my cleome has not germinated yet

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Cleome is always a slowpoke.

Karen

Onewish you have lots of beautiful babies!

Clpgrl, we are zone cousins. I'm glad to hear you say you are moving some things around because I had been thinking about moving some hostas and coral bells. I know we have more frosty nights in the up coming week. I don't worry about killing my hostas but my coral bells are special and I really don't want to lose them. I am having some compost delivered next week and I would love to be able to lay it down in my gardens then add my flowers.

That's my plan too.

I grew up here and then lived in Calif. (zone 9) for 30 years. After an unexpected divorce, I found out you can come home again. When I moved in this house there were 14 shrubs and 27 hostas (all the same). Had all the shrubs pulled out last year, 90% of the hostas, divided and sold by a friend. Put in foundation beds and a rose bed last year. I've been back now for three years this summer, and am having a wonderful time growing things I couldn't in Calif. I do miss my outdoor jasmine though..........

Having had no weather in Northern Calif to speak of-rains in winter, dry in the summer-I am constantly amazed at how us zone cousins are frequently 'weathering' the same sitauation within a day or two. Probably sounds silly to you, but after no real seasons I am still enjoying-and being frustrated-with the ups and downs in temps here! They say in Ohio if you don't like the weather wait 20 minutes and it will change.

I love being back with real seasons, forgot what I was missing. :)

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Hah! They say the same thing about Chicago!

LoL that's too funny..."wait 20 minutes and the weather will change". Indiana has a reputation of unpredictable weather. Today started out being cool but now its probably 70 degrees. I have my containers open and I am going to plant some of my babies today. Its supposed to get down to 40 degrees tonight and I hope they will all be okay. I have a couple of clumps of lavender that I want to remove and add in the burgundy gaillardia. I think that color combination will be pretty. I think I may put some delphs in the ground today too. They are not looking very happy in the container.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Anita, the burgundy gaillardia and lavender will be pretty near one another. Be sure to give them room to grow- they're both rather big plants, at least in their second year.

I worked in the yard all day. Culling more volunteers, digging out volunteer trees, watering. I finally planted out a couple of jugs of WSown jugs- my first of the year. I can't believe how dry the soil is for April.

Karen

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

One

great shot of your new babies, how exciting I'm just loving the ws as it is so easy after you get the milk jugs fixed...LOL

now it is just finding the time and nice weather to start the transplanting of my ws babies....

Janet

Thanks Karen, its funny you say something about spacing. I planted shasta daisies for the first time last year. This year I had to dig a huge clump out. They had spread like crazy! I moved them to a different location. I'm going to donate a couple and give away the rest. I'm off all day tomorrow so I can get a lot of yard work done. I planted out some delph that weren't looking too happy, some malva, creme de cassis hh and red db hh. I cannot wait to see how fast everything grows. The weather is going to be cooperative the next few days. Is it true that hh delphs, gaillardia, butterfly weeds and ruds bloom the first year? I read that bienniels will if planted earlier enough and since the cherry brandy ruds and gaillardias are considered annuals, I thought I might see boolms out of them this year.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

tomorrow is supposed to be around 60 [today 64 but i don't think we will make it as it's only 50]
I have a DR apt in 30 min, and dinner with an old friend at 6 ... so no time today. though i did wrestle with a hosta that i had to split ... that took some time.

but tomorrow i plan to start planting. chances of rain Fri-sun or Mon... so this is the time to do it.

OH -- the "red" [i'll have to dig up the name] Heuchera that i WS'ed last year is on the verge of blooming. YAY.

gotta run....

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Anita, the double HHs I grew bloomed the first year, and behaved as annuals, but the singles bloomed the 2nd year. A lot of Delphiniums will bloom first year, but not always. With butterfly weed it depends on the variety, the tropical types work well as annuals, but the hardy ones typically take a year of establishment. Most folks have good luck with Ruds blooming the first year, and mine did last year, however the year before they didn't and behaved more as biennials. I think that may have had something to do with the drought we had that year though.

The seedlings are growing fast the last few days. Looks like a lot more are ready to be planted.

Neal, do you use the same rule of thumb with WSng aws you would with seeds started inside, transplanting after they have their second set of true leaves? How can you tell when your WSn sprouts are ready to for transplanting? I had a couple of hh that appreared to be ready and some gaillardia that looked like they were ready. I have a Rugosa Rose that getting pretty tall (only one sprouted). It looks pretty flimsy, though.

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Most of my annuals haven't germinated yet, it probably hasn't been warm for enough days in a row yet. I wish those petunias would get their butts in gear.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

well I took a quick look at mine today, and holy moly several of them are up to the top of the milk jug about ready to grow through the opening.... if the rain and cold would hold off till Saturday then Friday night when I get home from work I can transplant... tomorrow night I've got to get my ornamental grasses cut down.... and that will take all evening. I've got 28 of them to do.......

I'll try to get pictures of the ones trying to escape out of the jugs....

Janet

Left everything uncovered last night for the first time, and it went down to 40. Everybody happy and perky today. We transplanted a bunch of lemon gem marigold "chunks" into my border, over 30 nasturtiums (peach) into little azalea pots for Lions Club plant sale Mother's Day weekend, numerous sunflowers, yellow hollyhocks, blue denim salvia, etc. Can't believe it but all my heirloom tomatoes (22 varieties, some from Amish Heartland and some from WinterSown germinated). 100% of Amish Heartland. We're estimating 120 tomatoe plants for the sale! A miracle for sure to me!

Janet, I am so excited for you!!! I can hardly wait to see your pictures. LoL are you leaving your lids closed all the time?

Clpgirl, all I can say is Wow!!! I hope you are succesful with you sales! How exciting!!!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

good for you Clpgirl!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.