good

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2010
12:25 PM

Post #7715471

I still have to go out and survey all the containers. i did see my Silk Gold Asclipias germinated. [YAY]

when i left town last week, i was telling my son which plants needed to be watched because they were in shallow dished... i honestly did not think i'd be gone 6 days... I had totally forgotten about my 'sterile' container filled with seedlings... yeaks... lost most of them.

the arctic chamomile, dead. Jubilee Gem Bach Buttons... dead... and i few others. I watered them, HOPING there may be a little bit of life left in them... but i'm not sure.

all the poppies i planted... dead. they did not get any rain while i was gone.
and i did notice some were trampled, by i'm assuming the neighbors dog.

I hope i have more of those Bach BUttons... i haven't check the seed basket yet.

Ugggggggggg...

Terese

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2010
12:30 PM

Post #7715479

bummer... I was going to go out and take photos of mine... too windy & cold.. maybe tomorrow.. hehe
CrabgrassCentrl
New Milford, CT

April 18, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #7715567

Oh, therese ... so sorry. That completely sucks.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #7715663

I may end up working [yes, me - actually getting a job] in the office in the park where i live. If so, next year i will have to make major changes in my WSing as i'd be working April 15- Oct 15th. it would be part time... but i couldnt shoot home for a week or so, just a few days...not nearly enough time to do anything major.

when i come home for the week of the 9th... i will have to plant fast and furious... my kid will be graduating on the 14th and also moving that weekend... so wont have a lot of time to play in the dirt.

According to my spreadsheet... i did not plant all the Jubilee bACH bUTTONS, [ops] so i'll get more going tomorrow. they just look so cute all compact and all. much better than the taller ganglier ones that i'm used to.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7716362

So sorry about your plants, Terese.

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7716436

thanks... ya always hate seeing them all shriveled up... i can't believe i completely forgot about the box.
a few perked back up after watering them with the "tonic".

I think 1 Chinese House survived, Salvia Wild Clary perked a bit too.
so really all i lost was the Chamomile, as i should have more Bach Buttons.
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2010
11:04 PM

Post #7717078

My chias all survived the snow. Third night in the 30's here. Just to clarify, potted some seedlings to sell at a Village Plant Sale on Mother's Day.-those are the ones we moved inside. Zone 5 is way too iffy to leave them out in little pots this time of year. the chia clumps we hunked out and planted in the ground are doing amazing well w/ the weather! Think I lost all my little farewell to spring which were the first germinated. Pretty far out of zone on those, and when they were transferred to pots never recovered.

However, I received my first bottle of Superthrive Friday, so will see if that helps!

tcs, that is my worst fear every morning, and after this third night I'll have my fingers crossed tomorrow. I am so sorry you got hit like that.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2010
1:56 AM

Post #7717146

Terese, I am so sorry you lost plants. I hope the rest of your bach butts make it ok
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2010
4:22 AM

Post #7717274

Jnette: It is fine for Anita to plant out her gaillardias now in zone 5a. They are hardy perennials.

Karen
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2010
12:41 PM

Post #7718624

Terese, speaking of the "tonic", I mixed up a batch and started feeding it to all my indoor plants and sprouts in the jugs that need a drink. I think I can tell a different on a couple of my young plants, clematis and a dahlia. I had not been feeding them anything so as seedlings, they probably really like the "tonic".

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #7718822

Anita... glad to hear that.

I did end up ordering some SuperThrive from Amazon... yes, the price is cheaper, yes the shipping seems high... but over all, it was cheaper to buy on line than to drive to the store and pay tax on top... i think I paid $20 and change for 2 delivered... and i recall paying almost $14 at the store with tax included.

I'm going to give one as a door prize at our RU this June.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #7719009

I was reading some information about the ingredients in the tonic.

It sounds like the ammonia is a nitrogen and hydrogen source just like someone stated. I think that came from Neal.

I think the Epsom Salt provides magnesium and sulphur. Magnesium supposedly aids in strengthening the plant cell walls, allowing the plant to take in the nutrients it needs. It also aids in seed germination, photosynthesis and in the formation of fruits and seeds

The molasses added to the soil of almost any plant to promote microbial activity and for flower blooming and fruiting enhancer.

I can't find any information on how beer benefits plants. I was curious about the tonic and what it offered as a benefit for plants. Thought you all might want to know what I found and chime in to explain to me what I just cut and pasted. LoL

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7719033

here are my babies #1

Thumbnail by onewish1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7719034

Thumbnail by onewish1

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #7719035

Thumbnail by onewish1

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #7719038

#4 last one

Thumbnail by onewish1

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
3:51 PM

Post #7719041

and reaping the benefits of last years WS'ing... poppy Oregon rainbows

Thumbnail by onewish1

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #7719057

Anita... THANKS!! i just havent had the time to figure that all out.

Onewish... very nice!!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7719075

thanks... they are getting there
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #7719119

Lookin' good, Allison!

Karen
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #7719427

Onewish, gorgeous! Makes me hopeful cuz I've got one jug of annual chia poppies, and one of Oriental that are just starting to peek out.

With mid-30's the past three nights, and expected again tonight, I am pleased to announce that the only casualty were my cypress vine sprouts, which I think I just planted cuz the seeds were free, and a semi-casualty with Purple Cleome. The Cleome is looking a bit frost-bit (all had covers on) so I brought it in for the night cuz that's one I really want.

Today I had 2 yards of leaf humus, and one of sweet peat delivered to start new lily, daylily and rose beds tomorrow. An exciting week to come. Also cleared out some huge hostas, over 20 years old and NEVER divided today, so I have a brand new perennial space for my WSing babies. I am so delighted with WS overall and the support from all of you.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7719600

my cleome has not germinated yet
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7719615

Cleome is always a slowpoke.

Karen
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #7720761

Onewish you have lots of beautiful babies!

Clpgrl, we are zone cousins. I'm glad to hear you say you are moving some things around because I had been thinking about moving some hostas and coral bells. I know we have more frosty nights in the up coming week. I don't worry about killing my hostas but my coral bells are special and I really don't want to lose them. I am having some compost delivered next week and I would love to be able to lay it down in my gardens then add my flowers.
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #7720949

That's my plan too.

I grew up here and then lived in Calif. (zone 9) for 30 years. After an unexpected divorce, I found out you can come home again. When I moved in this house there were 14 shrubs and 27 hostas (all the same). Had all the shrubs pulled out last year, 90% of the hostas, divided and sold by a friend. Put in foundation beds and a rose bed last year. I've been back now for three years this summer, and am having a wonderful time growing things I couldn't in Calif. I do miss my outdoor jasmine though...

Having had no weather in Northern Calif to speak of-rains in winter, dry in the summer-I am constantly amazed at how us zone cousins are frequently 'weathering' the same sitauation within a day or two. Probably sounds silly to you, but after no real seasons I am still enjoying-and being frustrated-with the ups and downs in temps here! They say in Ohio if you don't like the weather wait 20 minutes and it will change.

I love being back with real seasons, forgot what I was missing. :)

grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7721647

Hah! They say the same thing about Chicago!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #7721796

LoL that's too funny..."wait 20 minutes and the weather will change". Indiana has a reputation of unpredictable weather. Today started out being cool but now its probably 70 degrees. I have my containers open and I am going to plant some of my babies today. Its supposed to get down to 40 degrees tonight and I hope they will all be okay. I have a couple of clumps of lavender that I want to remove and add in the burgundy gaillardia. I think that color combination will be pretty. I think I may put some delphs in the ground today too. They are not looking very happy in the container.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #7722036

Anita, the burgundy gaillardia and lavender will be pretty near one another. Be sure to give them room to grow- they're both rather big plants, at least in their second year.

I worked in the yard all day. Culling more volunteers, digging out volunteer trees, watering. I finally planted out a couple of jugs of WSown jugs- my first of the year. I can't believe how dry the soil is for April.

Karen

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2010
7:58 AM

Post #7723912

One

great shot of your new babies, how exciting I'm just loving the ws as it is so easy after you get the milk jugs fixed...LOL

now it is just finding the time and nice weather to start the transplanting of my ws babies...

Janet
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #7724175

Thanks Karen, its funny you say something about spacing. I planted shasta daisies for the first time last year. This year I had to dig a huge clump out. They had spread like crazy! I moved them to a different location. I'm going to donate a couple and give away the rest. I'm off all day tomorrow so I can get a lot of yard work done. I planted out some delph that weren't looking too happy, some malva, creme de cassis hh and red db hh. I cannot wait to see how fast everything grows. The weather is going to be cooperative the next few days. Is it true that hh delphs, gaillardia, butterfly weeds and ruds bloom the first year? I read that bienniels will if planted earlier enough and since the cherry brandy ruds and gaillardias are considered annuals, I thought I might see boolms out of them this year.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #7724734

tomorrow is supposed to be around 60 [today 64 but i don't think we will make it as it's only 50]
I have a DR apt in 30 min, and dinner with an old friend at 6 ... so no time today. though i did wrestle with a hosta that i had to split ... that took some time.

but tomorrow i plan to start planting. chances of rain Fri-sun or Mon... so this is the time to do it.

OH -- the "red" [i'll have to dig up the name] Heuchera that i WS'ed last year is on the verge of blooming. YAY.

gotta run...
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7725220

Anita, the double HHs I grew bloomed the first year, and behaved as annuals, but the singles bloomed the 2nd year. A lot of Delphiniums will bloom first year, but not always. With butterfly weed it depends on the variety, the tropical types work well as annuals, but the hardy ones typically take a year of establishment. Most folks have good luck with Ruds blooming the first year, and mine did last year, however the year before they didn't and behaved more as biennials. I think that may have had something to do with the drought we had that year though.

The seedlings are growing fast the last few days. Looks like a lot more are ready to be planted.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2010
4:14 PM

Post #7725242

Neal, do you use the same rule of thumb with WSng aws you would with seeds started inside, transplanting after they have their second set of true leaves? How can you tell when your WSn sprouts are ready to for transplanting? I had a couple of hh that appreared to be ready and some gaillardia that looked like they were ready. I have a Rugosa Rose that getting pretty tall (only one sprouted). It looks pretty flimsy, though.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #7725281

Most of my annuals haven't germinated yet, it probably hasn't been warm for enough days in a row yet. I wish those petunias would get their butts in gear.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7725836

well I took a quick look at mine today, and holy moly several of them are up to the top of the milk jug about ready to grow through the opening... if the rain and cold would hold off till Saturday then Friday night when I get home from work I can transplant... tomorrow night I've got to get my ornamental grasses cut down... and that will take all evening. I've got 28 of them to do...

I'll try to get pictures of the ones trying to escape out of the jugs...

Janet
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #7725899

Left everything uncovered last night for the first time, and it went down to 40. Everybody happy and perky today. We transplanted a bunch of lemon gem marigold "chunks" into my border, over 30 nasturtiums (peach) into little azalea pots for Lions Club plant sale Mother's Day weekend, numerous sunflowers, yellow hollyhocks, blue denim salvia, etc. Can't believe it but all my heirloom tomatoes (22 varieties, some from Amish Heartland and some from WinterSown germinated). 100% of Amish Heartland. We're estimating 120 tomatoe plants for the sale! A miracle for sure to me!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2010
8:41 PM

Post #7726078

Janet, I am so excited for you!!! I can hardly wait to see your pictures. LoL are you leaving your lids closed all the time?

Clpgirl, all I can say is Wow!!! I hope you are succesful with you sales! How exciting!!!!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2010
2:40 AM

Post #7726366

good for you Clpgirl!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #7726659

wow... that is fantastic!! my ws'ed tomatoes did not germinate.. i think they were "cherry".
and yeaks... havent even started any marigolds yet... should get on that lickity split.

looks like a nice day... will be planting for sure...

OH... wanted to comment... I grew Penstemon Violet Dusk... both in the house on a heat mat and ws.
the inside ones germinated first, but the WS'ed ones are already bigger. it's like my inside seedlings have just 'stalled' out... unless their roots are growing like mad...

another Oh... my "basket of Gold" [alyssum montanum] that i grew last year is blooming. YAY.
and the Heuchera Firefly. [i may have mentioned that above somewhere]
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #7726975

Teresa do you have pictures? I don't have anything that blooming right now except the bonfire euphorbia (quickly becoming one of my favorites). I have a few things popping up and I have no idea what it is. Some of my irises are getting buds. Here's a shot of the euphorbia. Its an older picture. Its a little bigger now.

Thumbnail by diamond9192002

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2010
8:45 AM

Post #7727015

Anita... i'll take the camera out in a bit. I do have a few things blooming. Though i needed to photograph the hosta i had to tear apart yesterday... gotta get out of my jammies and put the sweats on to head outside.
slopesower
Running Springs, CA
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2010
10:32 AM

Post #7727360

I've been so excited. Almost all of my 120 jugs have sprouts. My sweet peas are growing through the hole and many of the others are begging to be set out. I got my beds ready and was going to plant out. Then Mother Nature entered the picture last night and changed my plans. I covered most of the jugs with a frost blanket, just in time. I usually don't bother, but so many of them have good sprouts and some are sensitive. Oh well.

It's supposed to warm up on the weekend, but maybe another storm next week. I'm having a bad case of zone envy.

Thumbnail by slopesower

grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #7727424

Who'd have thunk you could be envious of zone 5! It's not tropically warm here or anything, but nothing like what you have. Chin up, it will be over soon.
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2010
11:17 AM

Post #7727473

Congrats on your blooms tcs, and sproutlings- slopesower. I love allysum. Gotta put that one in for next year!

Thanks for the pic of Euphobia Bonfire. I just ordered that in a co-op, plus E. Tiny Tim, and piced up Lime at a local nurseries. Thery're pretty intriguing plants.

I was pretty surprised at my tomatoes! I would guess the Amish heirlooms have self seeded under the same weather conditions I have here. Seems to me that region and weather probably play a role somehow in genetically determined germination time. ???
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2010
8:43 AM

Post #7729933

Hello all!

I plan to plant more sprouts today. If I remember correctly, most of the veteran WSers plant their sprouts in clumps. By planting in clumps, do you find that you lose some plants because of over crowding? I didn't know if it would be worth it to try to seperate the sprouts or make smaller clumps, maybe???
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #7729983

I made some smaller clumps but boy are they hard to hold together! Went in fine and are growing, but I'm doing larger next time.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #7730663

I agree with clp ... when you do the smaller clumps, it does seem harder to keep them together.

Maybe if the plants were bigger, it would be easier to plant smaller clumps.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #7730954

Thanks I think they will be okay. I was helping a MG transplant seedlings from her GH. She plants each individually. One of the packs I did yesterday had 74 seedlings in it. She thought my clumps would. Be too crowded and I might lose some. I think I would rather watch grass grow than to do that with each one of my seedlings. LoL
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #7730967

Makes me crazy just THINKING about do that!!!!!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #7731449

... and you could separate each of them, plant them all and STILL have plant loss.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2010
3:23 AM

Post #7732063

Clpgirl I'm with you. I like the idea of seperating a clump and planting it like that. Terese, you're right. I could do all that seperating and still end up losing some plants. That's extremely time consuming. I was done planting in 10 minutes.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2010
3:30 AM

Post #7732069

I mostly just do the clump of seedlings planting with small, hard to handle seedlings that are best planted out early. If they're big enough, I'll typically separate them.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2010
5:14 AM

Post #7732185

and... there are plants/seedlings that are easy to do one at a time. and others that it is almost impossible.

off the top of my head... just ones that i have worked with...

the obvious... Salvias, ZInnias, marigolds, Holly Hocks, Malvas, et all [larger seedlings]
the obvious clumps --- ... Agastaches, Huecheras, Joe Pye Weed, Monardas...
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #7732222

It helps hunks to stay together if the soil is wet. I usually bottom water very well first, then dump out the whole blob on it's head into a flat. Flip it right-side-up, and cut into hunks with a knife. Usually works well.

Karen
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #7732439

Okay that's the method I will be using. I noticed in your pictures your flowers look thick. I like the healthy, thick gathering of flowers you get from the planting in clumps.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #7735388

I did some planting yesterday as i knew we'd be getting rain over night... worked like a charm... even the Asters i transplanted about 10 days ago have perked up.

Yesterday i planted a bunch of Salvias, Joe Pye Weed Gateway, Larkspur, Marshall's Delight Mondara, and NoID Monarda, Veronica Ironweed, Snow-in-the Summer, Wild Lupine,

Today I'm going to plant a few HH Black Current Whirl, and some Amaranthus -- i think it's the Hopi Red. I love those.

then in the AM heading out of town for a while... so i need to get as much done as i can.

I was going to take a 'head count' of what has not germinated for me, but i wont dump anything til at least mid-summer.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #7735389

OH... if anyone starts a thread about... WS whatcha planting?
add a link from here so i can find it.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
9:40 AM

Post #7735526

I have 33 un-germinated containers.

Smooth Aster, BlueBird
NY Aster, Woods Purple
Aclaea Simplex, "Elstead"
NY Aster, "Professor Kippenburg"
Agastache, orange
Huerchera, TIramisu
Huerchera, Caramel
Sagae, hosta
Agastache, Apricot Sprite
Phlox, Peppermint Candy
Montana Cornflower
Obiedient Plant
Cup Plant
Sambucus nigra, Elderberry
Lantana
Purple Majesty Millet
Platcondon, Blue Balloon Flower
Cherry Tomato
Semi-Double Mix Poppy
Baptisia Australis, False Indigo
Dwarf Aster
False Indigo
Creeping Zinnia
coccinea - Lavender
Mexicana Limelight - salvia
x Hybrid "Mesa Purple" - salvia
Bonfire - salvia
Lade in Red - salvia
NoID Large Red - salvia
Aster, Ostrich Feather
Genitana Andrewsii
Gilliena Trifoliata
Gladiolus Imbricatus
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2010
10:51 AM

Post #7735666

Wanted to show you all my tomatoes and some chias (all sown Feb. 25-27). The one that look empty has a tiny seedling just pushing up.

Thumbnail by clpgirl

clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2010
10:52 AM

Post #7735669

More maters.

Thumbnail by clpgirl

clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #7735674

Chia "Shirley Mix" poppies

Thumbnail by clpgirl

clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2010
10:54 AM

Post #7735676

Chia Peach Delphs

Thumbnail by clpgirl

clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2010
10:55 AM

Post #7735679

Chia Evening Primrose Yellow.

Thumbnail by clpgirl

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #7735682

nice chias!!
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #7735683

Last, Cosmos "Bright Lights" (I may have mixed the labels of the last 2, it's pouring right now and am NOT motivated to go check... :)

Thumbnail by clpgirl

clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2010
10:58 AM

Post #7735687

Thanks-and too think I had no real belief this would work!!!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #7735691

clp -- i think you are right on the mix up... those dont look like Cosmos ... and ironic.. i just sowed my Cosmos yesterday,

I did Bright Lights, Sensation Mix and Limara Lemon.

Here is my Larkspur Chia.

Thumbnail by tcs1366

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2010
12:40 PM

Post #7735881

Terese sounds like you have been busy! We have been getting plenty of rain. Like you, I have been going out trying to get some things planted. I only transplanted the Cherry Brandy Ruds but I moved the Georgia Peach Coral Bells. They were not performing well. I moved them under a tree with some Hostas and Lamium. The colors are a huge contrast. LoL I don't know how its going to look in the heat of the summer but right now it seems BRIGHT. LoL I also moved my Euphorbia but they are not taking the move well. They are really drooping. I snapped a picture of the CB. These are one of my favorites.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #7735929

Very pretty Anita.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #7736051

Thank you Jnette! You can see them long before you reach my home. LoL
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2010
4:40 AM

Post #7737745

Terese, interesting to see we have several of the same things not sprouting. My Smooth Aster, NY asters, dwarf Asters, lavender Salvia coccinea, Baptisia, and Montana cornflowers, like yours aren't sprouting. I've started Baptisia before, and recall those being slow and germinating later, but I've never had any luck with hardy asters in the past either.

Anita, that bed is lovely! Love those colorful Heucheras, so nice to have lots of color even without blooms.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2010
4:49 AM

Post #7737760

well, like i said Neil.. .i'm not dumping any containers until mid-summer probably.

didn't Karen say that she left a ungerminated jug over the winter only to have it germinate THIS year?
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7737868

That was me, a jug of Columbine 'William Guiness' from last year I was about to dump a couple of weeks ago, to find 2 seedlings in it. Yep, I'll be holding on to mine for a good while as well.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2010
6:00 AM

Post #7737940

Me, too. Sown last summer, it's sea holly. Catalogue said it's not an alpine and didn't need cold strat, but a winter seemed to help. Now, I have 3 teeny-tiny sprouts. (unless they're weeds!)

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2010
6:43 AM

Post #7738065

(unless they're weeds!)

LOL Karen... i've had that happen too.
CrabgrassCentrl
New Milford, CT

April 26, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7738140

Hey, I have a lonely ungerminated "William Guinness" jug -- guess I'll keep the faith for another month or 12. :-D
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #7749645

I have a goofy question...once you plant your seedlings, how often do you have to water before the plants are established? One of my chunks was starting to droop a little. We had a lot of rain recently and I was so sure they had planety of water. They are sitting in a full sun spot, so even though the weather hasn't been that warm, maybe their shallow roots were dry??? Its funny, that the bigger Ruds looked okay and even the other clumps of the Cherry Brandy. Only one of the clumps of CB looked thirsty.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2010
6:02 PM

Post #7749675

How often you have to water depends on a lot of factors
amount of sun
amount of wind (i.e. evaporation)
depth of soil- deeper holds moisture longer
temperature, etc.

Most hos are easier to transplant if they're nice and wet. If they're too dry, the soil tends to crumble and the seedlings fall apart.

Karen
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #7749863

Anita water those babies!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2010
2:11 AM

Post #7750385

Jnette LoL I did water the babies with the special tonic. Hopefully, that will perk them up!!!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2010
3:37 AM

Post #7750427

Anita, could just be that particular little clump of seedlings had a little root damage in transplanting, but keeping a close eye on them for a week or two should do the trick. Speaking of Cherry Brandy, I gotta get mine in the ground today, as well as a bunch of other things.

Yesterday I split my garden time between planting Dahlia tubers and WS seedlings. Got about 40 Dahlias planted and 4 jugs of seedlings. It's such a wonderful time to be in the garden- loads of Irises budding, Peonies are all in their 3rd or 4th year and have established enough to bloom nicely, and sweet scents wafting all around from Lilacs and the blooms of wild Locust trees.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #7750823

Thanks Neil! I agree it is nothing like planting and watching everything grow. I am such a visual person I cannot wait to see what everything looks like once its in bloom.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7752711

Seeing things from last year blooming, or in some cases having waited 3 years to see blooms, is such a motivation for me to be out there planting more. When I'm up close digging, I really notice the daily changes in the garden. Today I made great headway getting wintersown seedlings planted, about 20 jugs. The weather was ideal.

This is when I'm bad about forgetting to check ungerminated jugs. With so many ready to go in the ground, I'm constantly distracted with them.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2010
10:48 PM

Post #7753309

That's one nice distraction to have LoL

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2010
8:45 AM

Post #7769266

I've been so busy with inside seeds for our garden plant sale that I'm afraid my poor babies are on there own... I did get about 4 milk jugs planted only because the plants were growing out the tops of the openings begging to be transplanted...LOL

If I can just get through this weekend (plant sale) then I can go back to my things...hurrrayyyyyyy

Janet
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7770844

Hooray for WS!

Have over 100 WS plants in pots for our Lions Club Mother's Day plant sale! Thanks for all the enthusiasm and support from you all.

Now...what to do with all the chia's...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...will be a very bright summer here!!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2010
7:30 PM

Post #7770855

:::clapping:::: sounds like you did a good job

do you believe we have a frost warning for Sunday & Monday nights... just when you think it's over
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #7770860

It has been freezing and below every night for the last night. Most of my jugs have sprouted, but nothing that looks like a chia.

edited to add:

How about some pictures clpgirl?

This message was edited May 6, 2010 7:33 PM
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7770923

I only have a couple of jugs that looked like chias. Most of my jugs only had a few sprouts. I'm wondering if I am transplanting my seedlings too early. I've seen some post that indicate their seedlings were growing out of the top of the jug. None of mine are nearly that tall. I probably opneed my jugs too soon???
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #7770978

Anita, I am same zone, 5, and a long way from transplanting mine. But yours came up earlier than mine. I have mine in a mini greenhouse on my deck. Just too cold.

At least they are starting to germinate. I was about to give up on them. However, I doubt many of them will bloom this year.
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2010
9:11 PM

Post #7771106

I've got my trusty (and now somewhat rusty) LOL bedsheets at the ready for the first sign of frost warning which may be Sat. night here! Worked so far, fingers crossed...
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2010
9:26 PM

Post #7771129

Clpgrl, we are getting low on Sat and Sun nite. Its so tempting to plant on Moms Day but every year we get frost afterwards.

Jnette where did you find ur mini greenhouse? I saw one at Menards. I had to walk away. LoL I have a plant shelf that is perfect for a gh but I need plastic to increase humidity. I would lo ve to have one in my garage and one inside during the winter. LoL
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #7771184

Anita, I end up cutting a lot of the tops off way before the seedlings reach the top too. A lot of them seem to appreciate the air circulation and increased light. Although there's one I wish I'd left the top on, Canterbury bells- I think I've lost all of them now. First we had close to frost temps one night, and they were the only thing that showed damage and it looked like about half of them were goners. Then we had the torrential rains last weekend, and again they were the only ones damaged, and I think the rest are goners now too.

clpgirl, I have a few...well, several Chias too. Sometimes I had a bunch of seed and just didn't want to deal with holding on to the extras, so I dumped them liberally. I use pretty good sized hunks when I plant some of those. It was mostly various types of Dianthus I sowed that thick, and they seem to do well planted that way.

Just finished a few day stretch of work on an event for the venue were I work, a Chamber of Commerce awards banquet for 300. First the floral centerpieces and decorating, then worked in the kitchen cooking. It all went very well, but I'm glad its over. Looking forward to getting back out in the garden tomorrow and getting some more seedlings planted.

I had another seedling in a container from last year show up! Its a Callirhoe involucrata, Wine Cups. Thought it was probably a weed, till one showed up in the jug I sowed this year and its a match.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2010
10:22 PM

Post #7771222

You sound like the Jack of all Trades, growing and arranging flowers, decorating and cooking??? You were very busy!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7771588

Well, for the most part its been horticultural endeavors over the years, although I've always enjoyed cooking and know my way around a kitchen pretty well. Over the last year I've been helping in the kitchen for events. Its a lot of work, but I have always had an interest in catering, so its been a nice learning experience. Today I'm finding it hard to move, LOL- hope I can recover enough to feel like planting today!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
6:15 AM

Post #7771657

I'm feeling the same! We got rain early this morning and even hail for a few minutes. I could not believe it.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7771680

the rain is really coming down now.

I did a bit of planting out yesterday, knowing the rain was coming.
Ran out with an umbrella to check on all the plants... they all looked pretty good... a few Amaranthus looked a bit 'leany' but i just pressed them a bit more into the soil... they will be fine.

I checked our forecasted temps for the next week... only one cool night in the low-mid 30's ... so i'm not sweating any plant loss.

Did get 4 of my 7 tomatoes planted ... I should be getting some 'veggie cages' by Monday ... then i can get the rest planted too.

My WS"ed 'mater seeds never germinated... so i can not do the comparison between WS and indoor sown. I'll try again next season.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2010
6:43 AM

Post #7771733

Hey, Ya'll!

I've got a DGer over in the tomato forum that I'm trying to convince can WS tomato seeds in Zone 5a. He/She would like to "see" that someone else in Zone 5a successfully WSed tomato seeds.

Have any of you done so with success? If so, please could you post some "proof" pics of what you got or at least offer testimony of any success you had?

I STILL believe in WSing! Please help me help others learn about this fabulous method!

Thanks!

Linda

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #7771742

I think Karen has had success. I've read about it, but just have not had germination... though this was my first year trying.

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #7771777

I'm a believer! I was trying to explain WSing to people (friends/family/co-workers). They all thought I was nuts. Now I most of my jugs with green seedling growing and everyone wants some for their yard. LoL I'm saving them all for my newly established garden! Hopefully, I will have pictures to share.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #7771893

D,
Great news! Did you sow any veggie seeds in your last batch? That's what the nay-sayers wanna see, particularly WS TOMATO seeds. They question whether you can successfully WS tomato seeds in such a cold environment in time for plantout in Zone 5a.

Thanks!
jjsgramma
Woodhull, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
7:49 AM

Post #7771905

Hi all I have been lurking and reading for months.
Diamond my DH and everyone thought I was nuts aso. I have to admit I was also skeptical, because I have never been able to grow anything from seeds, they were always really spindly if the grew at all. And never made it after transplanted.

I didn't get started WS'ing until February and to my amazement I have several of my jugs sprouting. I also am now a believer.
Some annuals I WS'ed 3/14/2010 and they are sprouted also.
Even this cabin tomato. I only planted 2 or 3 seeds in this jug so was thrilled to see even one plant.
edited to fix date

This message was edited May 7, 2010 9:50 AM

Thumbnail by jjsgramma

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
8:19 AM

Post #7771969

JJ, you are so funny! Looks like you have a healthy mater plant! I thought WSing was so easy, that I would do something goofy to mess it up. I dont think I have many more sprouts coming up, however, the majority of my jugs germianted. A couple I think will require one more winter (clematis) and for others it may have been the containers I used. I moved some from the north sun to south sun and the germination increased alot!

I think I will ws from now on just because it's so easy.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
9:44 AM

Post #7772230

Anita, I got it from Charley's Greenhouse last year. On line. It did not have any shelves. Just the framework and plastic with the front zippered.

Then I also have one of the 4 tier I got on line and even with shipping it was under $40. That was 2 years ago. Everyone else sells them for up tdo $89!! Same thing.

LeBug gets the mini greenhouses I think she said from Home Depot. So you might check there too.

I don't understand what the reason is to start WSing so early. Someone said they didn't get started until February. If you can't plant until now anyway, why is it so necessary to plant so early. I guess if you are going to have hundreds of jugs? Or, maybe you guys plant before now? I know a lot of you in the South plant earlier than we do, but I guess it sounds like most of you are just getting ready to plant.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
10:01 AM

Post #7772310

Jnette, u got a steal! I think the purpose of WS is to allow the seeds to go through the necessary stratification but protected from critters and birds in the jugs...I think???
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #7772311

Jnette, it kinda depends on the seeds you sow. I'm finding with a lot of the perennials I like to grow, the cold period seems to help germination. A lot of those typically don't bloom till the 2nd year anyway, so its just easier in many cases. I usually separate my seeds in groups of when to WS, with Columbine, Primroses, Penstemon, Hollyhocks, Wallflowers, and trees and shrubs (and others) being among those I like to sow earliest. A lot of annuals I don't worry with till March or April.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #7772313

Anita, that's why I use jugs for Sunflowers and Zinnias, seems whenever I direct sow them slugs munch them down before they can get established.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #7772421

I wonder if slugs are eating my young ruds? I have seen damage to some of my hostas already but I have not seen any slugs??? LoL I may just buy them a can of beer anyways.

Neil, you WS your tender annuals after danger of frost? I may need to WS mine the end of the month. I think May 15th is our last frost date. DG's forecast said May 9th and the temperature is supposed to get down to the mid 30's
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #7772911

Usually I WS the tenders toward the end of March or first of April. They get some protection from the jugs, and if they haven't sprouted yet, there's no fear of cool nights bothering them. I try to aim for having the seedlings ready to set out by the end of May.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
1:43 PM

Post #7772926

After danger of frost?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
1:56 PM

Post #7772952

Yes, I know all about stratification. Well there is stratification and there is down right freezing every night which is what mine were. Blocks of ice.

I finally decided that they just needed a little more warmth than they were getting. They would heat up with the sun and freeze into those blocks every night.

I have never seen weather like we have had this year. It is stil in the 20s at night. And, our last frost date is suppose to be next week. I don't know what they mean by frost date but I would like to see an end to this freezing every night. I could cover them for frost.

I haul my brugs out every day around noon and drag them back in at night. I am getting tired of it.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7772962

Yep, and after the soil has warmed up well. Things like Zinnias, Dahlias, Salvias, and Sunflowers enjoy heat, and don't really do much till it feels like summer (kinda like tomatoes), so I try to time it so they're ready to go in the ground by Memorial Day. Several years ago, our frost safe date was May 15, but I've heard that's been changed to sometime at the end of April. I don't really trust that just because of several years of last frost being in April, so I play it safe (and I'm not really good about covering stuff, LOL). I'll never forget that week of temps in the low 20s we had in late April a few years ago that turned the whole garden to snot- aint taking that chance, LOL.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
2:12 PM

Post #7772993

LOL, that week of low 20s has been the story of my life this year all winter long. Except when it was colder than that in Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, My electric bill shows it.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #7773146

Oh, but it was after an early warming in March and the first of April, all the Lilies, Hostas, trees and shrubs were all leafing out and big, and everything was damaged. Nobody in the whole area had any fruit that year. I had even covered a bunch of Lilies, but it didn't help. I hate cold any time, but after everything is growing, to have winter return like that was the pits.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #7773220

Yes, I have planted out a couple of years on Mother's day only to have a frost come along and kill everything. So now, Neil, I too plant Memorial Day weekend of the first of June. My garden plans always start after June 1st. I'm hoping I can get my beds together by then. I have been wanting to have compost delivered but the piles are too wet and heavy. Maybe next week???
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7773739

Hi all,
Those of you who have accompanied me on this journey know that I WS'd at the end of Feb. put containers out in 3 ft. of snow, and had 3 ft. that night. I mostly WS'd tomatoes because I was following the info on WinterSown, and they sent me packs of tomato seeds to WS! I also received some heirloom varietes, ordered. Didn't know NOT to try them! The other reason was, because we have such a late frost date here, it appealed to me that they would potentially be sturdier, and already hardened off. Also not prone to damping off, or as leggy. For me, that was the truth. Right after my little seedlings emerged, beginning of April, I believe, some variation by type possibly, we had an ice storm, 3 inches. Still had the tops on the containers and they did fine. About 3 weeks ago took the tops off permanently after a week of take off daytime and on at night. Got down to freezing and they just had a bedsheet over them 10 days ago, took 80 some seedlings, out of 22 types, and potted them as shown to get ready for a sale tomorrow. They've been through thunderstorms, heat, low 40's in the past two weeks, and here is how they look today.

I'll WS tomatos next year cuz it WORKS, and was NO hassle compared to lights, fertilizers in and out the GH etc. They are living where they've been since they were seeded. I provided soil and container. Mother Nature truly did the rest...

Thumbnail by clpgirl

clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7773743

Close up

Thumbnail by clpgirl

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
7:30 PM

Post #7773893

those look wonderful.

I will have to try again next year.

were most of yours in clear 2ltr containers?

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #7774003

good for you.. they look great!!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
9:35 PM

Post #7774204

Those do look good! I have only tried tomatoes once but never WSed. Your pictures make me want to WS some maters! LoL
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2010
9:44 PM

Post #7774224

Were running out of gallons when we got to the veggies. These were in a real assortment, some in clear shoeboxes from Dollar General, w/ holes punched, and two bottoms taped together. Like this cuz they had lots of headroom. Others were in paper cups from a discount store, w/ plastic tops, placed in another cardboard box. We only put 3-4 seeds in each cup, cuz that was all we had of those varieties.

Unfortunately the holes in the bottom of the styrofoam/paper cups kept swelling closed, and not enough room left at the top using the flat cup lids, all that was availabe to us.. A few we seeded in cocopeat pots in a large underbed holed, sweater box. That was the least efficient, those cocopeat pots dried out very, very quickly, and I won't do that again. (Though the coco in the mix worked great. The half-gallon jugs that worked best with the maters were clear-guess from some kind of purified baby water, and iced tea, I think. Lost some seedlings early on cuz we didn't realize how HOT they were getting in the cups. And the unknowm closing of the bottom holes...

Overall, 95 plus germination rate, and about an 80 seedling to plant rate-definitely human trial and error there!

Hope this helps. It's been an awesome journey in simplicity.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2010
3:08 AM

Post #7774458

Those look perfect and beautiful clpgirl! Congrats! I'm guessing you'll be planting them out at about the end of the month? You'll have nursery sized plants by then, and just think how much all those would cost to buy, that is, if those varieties were even offered by greenhouses!
jjsgramma
Woodhull, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #7774982

Great Job clpgirl. Those look better than I seen at the local big box stores.
Would like to say Thank you to all for taking me along on your journey. It has been a learning experience for sure.

I had received a couple of daylily seeds and WS'd them, thought they weren't going to germinate, seems like forever ago I planted them, but a couple have now sprouted so I am now still hopeful.
Just have to get through this frost advisory today and tomorrow.

Thanks to all and Happy Mothers Day
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2010
4:23 PM

Post #7775956

What are you all doing for the frost advisory? I have to work a 24 hour shift tomorrow. I won't be home until Monday morning. I brought all of my sprouts inside. I won't be home to bring them in tomorrow. Is anyone bringing their seedlings inside? I have covered them a couple of times in the past when I knew I would be home to uncover.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7776388

I just checked the forecast for home.. 35. a bit colder up here in Wisc.
but my plants are on their own.

most the WS seedlings are close enough to the house that hopefully they are more protected.
what's been planted are on their own.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7776441

Anita, whats this first frost advisory you are talking about?
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7776475

Thanks for the compliments. I really have to praise Mother Nature.

Sold over half at our plant sale today! People asked me if I had a business w/ heirlooms. I'm so pleased at how well this went, considering my initial anxiety.

We have frost advisory too-last time I just threw a sheet over them, and they were fine. The ones left are on a shelf next to the house, semi-protected, so we'll see what happens. My neighbors and I will all be planting various types out around June 1, and waiting to see what "Grandma Josie's Tomatoes" really look like. I'm also quite intrigued by "Ohio State Univers. Blue" :)

This is too much like fun to be work!
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2010
8:25 PM

Post #7776582

Blue? That will be interesting. I just re-covered and threw an old blanket over the seedlings, since my tender annuals are just coming up. I have a larger tomato and corkscrew vine in my mini greenhouse, they got too big for inside; it stays pretty toasty as long as it's zipped shut. The tomato is a snow white cherry I started early in the hopes of early maters.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2010
10:06 AM

Post #7777627

Jnette, we had a frost advisory for last night and another one for tonight. We are supposed to be safe after May 15. Its hard for me to trust that date. LoL I always shoot for June 1. I went to the market today and I could tell that some of the tropical hibiscus were affected by the frost. I'm not sure if they will make it throught the rest of the season.
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2010
10:30 AM

Post #7777675

Snow white cherry? Where did you find that? I have heirloom whites "White Oxheart", 'White Mate' ", and Gma Josies...Never heard of yours. Sounds very interesting-same zone too...
DeChantal
Ottumwa, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
11:28 AM

Post #7777806

Hi everyone. I hope you don't mind me asking a question. This is my firs year ws and I have had a lot of success. I have one question. Has anyone ever ws morning glories. If so when should I transplant them? I am new to flowers and really don't know the rule for transplanting all the little plants that I have growing in my containers. Thank you for your help! Carrie
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #7777819

http://www.ghorganics.com/ This is the first time I'm growing it so we'll see how it is.

It looks like it didn't get quite as cold as they thought last night. The prediction for tonight is 36, then up from there.
i don't feel completely safe until end of May either, but I have elbow surgery on 5/21, so everything has to be potted up and outside by then. They're on their own for about 2 weeks after that.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #7777891

Carrie, I wintersowed Morning Glories last year and set them out when they were about 4-6" tall. I think they had 2 or 3 sets of true leaves, and they took right off. Seems like it was about the end of May or first of June when I set them out. I recall waiting till I felt sure the soil was good and warm.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #7778324

I have mine [morning glories] out already. probably a bit early -- but i didnt have much of a choice... we have not had freezing temps, but some COLD [my kid said it was 35 this morning]

I'll be able to check them on Wed.

mine were 4 leaves i think.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #7778532

I have been behind you all on everything else so I just planted mine today. Yellow. I have never seen yellow morning glories. Have you?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
5:12 PM

Post #7778548

J -- no, ,i've never seen one, but I'be heard them mentioned.

you can always check the Morning Glory forum.

and you're probably not behind, i'm just doing things too early -- because i really didnt have a choice.

I'll be gone for the summer - so i have to get everything in the ground quickly.
DeChantal
Ottumwa, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7778576

Thank you everyone. I will probably wait a litle longer. Most only have two leaves. I think I will wait unitl they have at least 4 leaves.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 9, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #7779027

Yellow is probably Japanese Morning Glories.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
10:48 PM

Post #7779231

That's interesting Sharon. Why do you think that? Jeanette
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2010
3:55 AM

Post #7779379

Probably this tender perennial MG:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53472/

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #7779814

clpgirl.

I think (provided we are still up here next year) I will give the tomatoes a try in the WS. I love have thick and strong your stems look in the pictures...

Our plant sale went well, and my 150 Tomato plants sold like hot cakes...LOL

Funny thing was most people didn't know about the varieties that I had grown... really strange as I figured if I knew them they would most certainly know them.

Janet
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #7780211

Yep. I had a couple guys ask me lots about the heirlooms, and one asked if I was having an end of the season clearance sale later, and if I sold at the Medina Farmer's Market! Thought I was a business, because we had labeled the plants "Chippewa Lake Sown and Grown" to differentiate them from the baskets the club always gets from a local nursery. Had my chest puffed out, so to speak!

Though cold, rainy, windy and hailing we had a good sale. Being out in the middle of nowhere it's mostly yearly returnees but we had some people just come in off the road.

Was very surprised that some people took my little heirlooms over the biggies from the local nursery. Glad you all did well too, and hope your weather was better. I didn't warm up for hours after.

Had a freeze warning last night and heading out to see how all my remaining WS jugs/trays/pots are doing. Covered them with a sheet, so I"m assuming they did OK.

This has been a great adventure!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #7780573

Just found this yellow MG too, hadn't heard of this one, and would love to try it!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2005/09/08/EmmaGrace/9c49b3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/88426/&usg=__-Iaq805HACXR0rZqLcCaHi94NyI=&h=765&w=850&sz=104&hl=en&start=4&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=C6-rgd3HWaglQM:&tbnh=131&tbnw=145&prev=/images?q=yellow+morning+glory&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbs=isch:1
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2010
1:00 PM

Post #7780951

I see Dianes Seeds has the seeds for $3 for 20 seeds Not bad. I have bought from her. She has pretty good seeds. I always find tho, that when I want one pack it costs so much because of the shipping. On top of the $3. That's what hurts and stops me a lot of the time.

I just gave my yellow MG seeds away because in the PF it says they are a perennial in a hot climate, and may not bloom in a short season.

I don't know if they were the trumpet or not. I got them in a swap from a lady in Texas. Oh, come to think of it, she has a picture of them in the plant files. You might get some from her.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2010
3:18 PM

Post #7781297

I think I'd have the same problem with the perennial ones, and I'd bet thats what you had. I hadn't heard of the yellow trumpet type before, and those are an annual. They look like a yellow version of Cardinal climber.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7781866

LOL, I almost told you that. That they looked like a yellow Cardinal Climber.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 10, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #7782336

I was lurking on a DG thread and found the Japanese morning Glories. The Japanese are and have been for years hybridizing the morning glory into another element. The new morning glories they are putting out are out of this world. I had a DG member send me seeds and I have started them in three different pots because there are three different colors. You need to investigate because you will be very surprised in what you see.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2010
10:31 PM

Post #7782415

I have ordered some from a lady on marketplace.
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #7783209

I'm heading over to Marketplace right now, cuz I looked those Japanese cultivars up last night and they are amazing!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7886279

clpgirl were those the ones you were looking for? The Japanese MGs?\\

Ok you guys, now I need advice.

I stuck with you all winter and maybe about a little over half of my stuff finally germinated. I think I am going to repot a lot of them in bigger pots, cutting them up, and then plant them in the fall.

However, I divided some Rudbeckias and repotted them earlier and they are pretty big. So, it has finally gotten warm here, first day in the 70s was yesterday. And it is going up from there according to the weatherman. So, I want to plant the Rudis. What do I do to protect them???? Gotta know soon. Thanks,

Jeanette
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2010
5:02 AM

Post #7889914

What are you wanting to protect them from? They're pretty hardy and tolerant, I've had a few bugs munch on them some, but not bad enough to have to spray.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #7891238

Mainly the sun I think. Also, what eats them? Someone said rabbits like pussy willows. Guess they clean them off. I know there are rabbits out there unless the coyotes and cougars have gotten them, but haven't had them eat any of my plants. I have seen them around the tomatoes but doubt if they want those. No damage there.

So, I guess my question is, if you know what does eat rudies. Deer or rabbits might be the only thing like that. Slugs?
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7893427

I had some insects eating the leaves of my Ruds. It wasn't very bad but initially, I was concerned. Diatomaceous Earth will an organic insecticide that will discourage some of the crawlers from getting to your plants.

I planted my WSn plants with no protection. They are all doing extremely well. Some critter did eat the leaves off of some of my delphs but that's it. I did find a chipmunk hanging out in my back yard.

Here's a picture:
I thought I planted a red Gaillardia but the bloom is yellow and the leaves looks the same as the Ruds. I guess I'll find out once it blooms.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #7893500

Anita, I know we are the same zone. When did you plant yours? I think if I get them in in the next week I shouldn't have to worry about the sun. It has been real cool here this spring. Only one or 2 days even in the 70s. But, that is when it normally zooms directly into real hot so I had better get them in.

Other than that, possible rabbits or deer. Think the predators must have gotten the rabbits tho 'cause I haven't seen any this spring. I am anxious to get these planted and wish I had gotten more of the WS into bigger pots so they had gotten more size to them and I would plant them out. Now I will have to wait until fall.

As far as winter sowing again? Well, I know this was an unusual winter for everybody. ESPECIALLY for us. Absolutely no snow. A year earlier there was 77 inches on the ground. So, I did lose a lot of good seed. Maybe I will not winter sow all of my seed so I will still have some for seed plants. Then I can plant that in the house.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2010
9:24 AM

Post #7893632

Those plants were some of the first ones I put in the ground. We had a lot of rain and I was waiting to get compost to start some new beds. The WSn plants I just put in the ground are still pretty small compared to those. I did finally get them planted and those are doing much better than any I started inside. Here's most of my WSn sprouts.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7895352

cherry brandy WS'ed last year

Thumbnail by onewish1

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7895367

One wish,

Those are actually red!! Mine were so ugly I couldn't believe it. I was so anxious for them to bloom and they came out this ugly brown color. I heard other people say the same thing.

So, the second year they come out red?? They are pretty now. I will be anxious again this year for mine to bloom. I do still have some. LOL, I gave some away 'cause I didn't like them.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #7895403

I wasn't impressed with them last year either... and a storm got to them this year.. they are kind of floppy... I will give them another year to see how it goes
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7897624

Onewish, did your CB bloom last year? How tall did they get last year? I have a couple that are ready to bloom but they are not what I thought I planted. LoL

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7898021

it maybe only had 2 flowers on it... and 6 inches tall... this year it's much taller over 2'... but skinny.. hoping it will be better next year
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #7898215

Anita, Onewish posted the picture of her CB. Mine bloomed the first year. Each plant had more and more blooms right up to freezing. They were just ugly. After seeing Onewish's CB that bloomed this year I have hope that mine will be the color I thought it was suppose to be.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #7904862

Last year I recall some folks posting pics of CB when they first opened, and they were disappointed with them too. But some posted later pics after the blooms had matured, and the color had improved- the muddiness diminished and more pinkish burgundy tones showed.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #7905062

Yes, mine did as you describe but I guess from all the pictures from T&M and the rest of the vendors we expected more.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #7905142

I sure would have expected more too! I've got a few planted that I wintersowed, and am glad to have seen the real plants in gardens beforehand, so it won't be so disappointing when they bloom.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2010
8:30 AM

Post #7907337

Here's one of the Ruds that I WSed. I thought I planted a red gaillardia but it seems to be either the Tiger Eye or Marmalade Rudbeckia. I think the bloom is beautiful.

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2010
8:33 AM

Post #7907345

One more picture

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #7907506

That is really pretty Anita. Makes me want to get my things in if it ever quits raining.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2010
9:55 AM

Post #7907566

Thanks Jnette! We are getting rain right now. I have some things I wanted to get planted before the rain but wasn't able to. I have a few more blooms coming. I was so sure I had planted Cherry Brandy however, those blooms don't appear to be red/brown either. I'll post pictures once they bloom.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #7908603

love the color!!!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #7908837

Thank you OneWish! I can hardly wait to see what the rest of the blooms loo like. Of course, nothing I planted is blooming into what I thought it would be. I have a couple more pictures. I thought the first plant was an oriental poppy.

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7908846

And this next picture was supposed to be a peach colored coneflower but it looks like a white coneflower.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America