Photo by Melody

Tropical Zone Gardening: Anyone have a Desert Rose?

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 14, Views: 235
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 18, 2010
4:46 PM

Post #7716139

In the ground. They grow quite well here.

Thumbnail by Molamola
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 18, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #7716150

I have a few small ones; I have seen some beautiful big ones (like yours) in the Florida Keys in the ground.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2010
4:38 AM

Post #7717296

I have several - one is about 15' tall - the rest are smaller, but all are beautiful when they bloom. Edited to say I was thinking of CONFEDERATE rose - sorry!

This message was edited Jul 23, 2010 9:00 AM
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 19, 2010
4:40 AM

Post #7717298

Fifteen feet? I have never seen one that big. Picture please!!!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #7717634

Sorry, folks - I just trimmed my CONFEDERATE rose plants - LOL - had them on my mind. A 15' desert rose - I don't THINK SO!

My DR's are just coming to life - took them out of the greenhouse about 2 weeks ago - they don't look so good right now - lots of cold damage.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 19, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #7717679

:-((
dsa2591
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #7717982

I have four, one red, one pink, and two normal ones. They all need to be repotted this year. They don't do well in the ground here, because they rot in the rainy season. I will be repotting all of them soon in 50/50 potting mix and perlite.

bbode
Merida, Centro
Mexico
(Zone 11)

April 19, 2010
10:32 PM

Post #7720124

Wow! That's an amazing, elegant adenium.

I have four in big pots on my roof terrace. In January, a couple of weeks after I repotted them in moderately large, wide mouthed plastic pots in which I drilled extra holes, I checked them and two had had aphids and ants on several flowers.

Somewhere I read about mixing vinegar and detergent with water to spray on the bugs and kill them. Not very successful. In the next day or two all the flowers, 6 or 8 per pot, were covered with aphids and ants.

I sprayed the detergent & vinegar mixture on them all. In fact, at the time I figured that whether or not the mixture worked, it didn't matter because I certainly must have drowned all the bugs.

A few days later, all the leaves and flowers had fallen off. Clearly the mixture I concoted was far too harsh I had 4 pots of naked Adeniums. Not a pretty sight.

But they all came back.

Now, almost all are covered with flowers. I went about a month without doing anything to them until I began seeing little signs of growth at which point I began a slow watering regimen. After a month or so. the flowers began to return.

The moral of my anecdote is "don't give up." These are truly tough plants, in addition to being exotically beautiful, they clearly are thriving.

In lieu of fertizer, I use compost combined with fallen leaves, I water usually morning and evening.

Today they are all happy and blooming successfully. But none of them is anywhere near 14 feet tall.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 20, 2010
3:40 AM

Post #7720258

What a story! I am so happy for you that they came back OK.

And they are tough plants until they are over watered, then pouf! And ants farm the aphids, I'm sure you know.

All of the in-the-ground DRs here go from a foot tall up to about six feet. And the soil here is frightfully alkaline, the test doesn't turn green, it turns a dark midnight blue!

They do get the 'perfect' drainage they need.

Thank you for posting your story, bbode!

dsa2591
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #7727420

I spray mine with 1/3 cup Murphy's Oil Soap to 1 gallon of water. You have to spray in the morning early or in the evening when it is cooler. Works really well for me.
bbode
Merida, Centro
Mexico
(Zone 11)

April 24, 2010
12:19 AM

Post #7732002

My hope was that a message would go out through the world of aphids that there was a crazy woman on a rooftop trying to drown them. So far, so good. A couple of the plants have a few yellowing leaves but otherwise seem healthy. About 3 weeks ago, I spread a homemade compost & organic fertilizer mixture on top of the pots to take advantage of the warmer weather and more rain. They seem to be thriving. I water every 2 or 3 days.

I have the all the plants in plastic pots inside triangle-shaped cement pots on wheels with hand brakes. Several layers of drainage in each pot are assisted by the fact that all the roofs around here are slanted to drain off rain. A photograph of one of the smallest Adeniums is attached. bb

Thumbnail by bbode
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 24, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #7732340

That's a very pretty red! And brakes on a flower pot, I like that!
seawillow
Melbourne, FL

July 18, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #7977866

wow!!! Gorgeous! i have a question about my desert rose that I hope someone can answer...i have had this plant for 4 years and it has always bloomed beautifully up until this year. I get plenty of buds on it and then they just fall off without ever blooming. It has been in the same spot now for over two years and has never had this problem. I have 2 other small one in pots that are doing great. Anyone have any input on this??? Thanks!!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

July 18, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7978733

OK, seawillow, there must be something that you've changed.

They like 'super bloom' kinds of fertilizer.

bb, gorgeous blooms! Lucky you!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 23, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #7990470

Hello, everyone.

My big momma desert rose (pink) loves it when I give it orchid bloom booster. So, I mix 1/2 batch Miracle Gro and 1/2 batch orchid bloom booster and it is so happy. I have just purchased a smaller adenium (yellow) and I have started it on the same fertilizer regimen. It seems to enjoy it.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America