Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Shady Gardens: Need Advice for Fairy Garden Under Live Oak

Communities > Forums > Shady Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Shady GardensReplies: 4, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2010
3:08 AM

Post #7717201

We are starting a garden project underneath a 150 year old Live Oak. The idea is to make it a Fairy Garden. The tree is located on the west side of the house and gets late afternoon sun.The area to be planted is naturally mounded and full of oak seedlings.

Whats the best way to clear the area without damaging the tree roots and what small plants would you suggest for that area?

Any ideas would be really appreciated!

- Cue
ptilda
Spooner, WI

April 22, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #7726848

I have dwarf spring bulbs, dwarf thyme, dwarf/mini hostas, and other such lovelies in my "Gnome Home" I put in last year. They were just planted in this area, so there's not much showing in the photo.

Thumbnail by ptilda
Click the image for an enlarged view.

katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7727991

You might try newspaper or cardboard or a light mulch with bark to kill the seedlings so you can start. You definitely don't want to smother the tree roots, but these will all be light and break down pretty readily after killing the seedlings.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2010 10:30 AM
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2010
3:41 AM

Post #7737663

Thanks. we did the newspaper and added a good topsoil to plant immediately. discovreaed that the area gets dappled sun during the day and late afternoon sun later on. I think tht opens my planting options a little more
onyxwar
Greeley, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #7751951

I have some spider wort in my shade garden and it doesn't very big. I have been considering doing something under my cherry blossom tree. My main thoughts were spider wort, lung wort, small varieties of hosta, and sweet william.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Shady Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dogwood Shrubs (flowering) Goldengirl 18 May 19, 2008 11:50 PM
info on shade-loving vine? Horseshoe 29 Oct 2, 2007 6:30 AM
Just a little shady corner. CountryGardens 7 Jul 22, 2009 8:17 PM
share your shade garden pics IowaAnn 198 Sep 15, 2008 4:42 PM
Problem area-wet shade, Please help Shadyfolks 52 Sep 13, 2008 3:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America