Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: The Investment Garden: H. Silver Dollar

Communities > Forums > Article: The Investment Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Investment GardenReplies: 6, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7717536

Someone please tell me where I can find this! I've searched Google and checked at Pine Knot. No luck.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #7717874

Sorry, I only know where to find a picture of it. :(

Good luck in your search!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2010
8:23 AM

Post #7717921

Wait, Hellebore Silver Dollar? I don't even remember, somewhere in Europe I think - remember this original article is OLD! Maybe Belgium? I used to know a source ... an expensive, foreign source.

The person who owns the plant whose picture I used lives overseas, and bought it at flea market or something for a few bucks (or whatever they used), but I think when I wrote the article it was available at some European nursery for a lot of $$$ - do you want me to try to find it for you? You probably couldn't even get it from Europe for a while due to the volcanic ash in the air space closing down all the airports.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #7717938

Yikes! I guess I'll wait a few years. It seems Europe has all the best plants. So many times I'll search for a plant and most of the nurseries are in the UK.
I think I'll take a look at some silver-leaved at PineKnot.
Thanks, Carrie.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2010
8:49 AM

Post #7718010

Not a problem - you should tell Bonitin how much you like the photo! Glad the article made such an impression. ^_^
omasuziq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2010
4:03 PM

Post #7719071

I love hellebores. In Zone 7, where I am, there are few plants that are as noteworthy, and regal, in the depths of winter.

As for silver-leaved varieties, I've never grown any but see "plantdelights.com" has H. argentifolius "Silver Lace." Heronswood has H. foetidus "Frenchy," although the blooms don't seem to be impressive (existent?) so what's the point? (I have never ordered from either.)

Depending on what you're trying to achieve with gray foliage, you might consider the available varieties with "inky" flowers. Both sites have these.

I loved this article. My addition would be Golden Chalice vine, Solandra. I first saw this in Barbados and it did grow in my East and South windows (when I had them). Bloomed in winter indoors and the smell was wonderful!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7719208

Thank you, thank you! I don't hear :love" too often! It was a fun idea I had - which clearly, could go on and on and on and on ...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Investment Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Advice worth millions Hemophobic 5 Jun 23, 2009 7:11 PM
Wondeful Article judycooksey 1 Jun 23, 2009 3:47 PM
Great Article phicks 0 Jun 23, 2009 7:35 PM
Gem of an Article! Petalpants 1 Jun 25, 2009 1:51 PM
Loved your Investment Garden article! natalie4b 1 Jun 29, 2009 1:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America