Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Need Recipe for soil for growing Vegetables in containers

Vancouver, WA

We have a very large, full-sun cement pad 20' x 30' in front of our shop, too much space to waste.
I four half-wine-barrels and four very large ceramic pots in which I want to grow vegetables, especially potatoes and tomatoes, maybe eggplant too.
What is best container soil recipe for growing vegetables. I need too much soil to buy it in bags, and plan on mixing our own.
Thanks in advance,
Margot
East Vancouver WA

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

You may find information you can use in the sticky threads at the top of this forum.

Al

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Mzz Foggy, please take tapla's recommendation to heart. I am growing veggies in pots, and use his mix. Although the year is young, and I am a beginner, I have had very good results so far.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

tapla, what kind of fertilizer do you use. My tomatoes were turning yellow in the center . I used a kind of fish fert. that I had on hand and they are now looking pretty good.

Donna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have used MG 24-8-16 or 12-4-8, and Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 (all are 3:1:2 ratio soluble fertilizers) on tomatoes with very good results.

While plants are young, I fertilize frequently at half strength (weekly). As plants mature and have enough photosynthesizing machinery in place (foliage) I reduce the dosage and start adding a little ProTeKt 0-0-3 to the fertilizer solution. Alternately, you could simply include a little potash to the soil when you plant and use reduced doses of the fertilizer, or you could switch to a 1:1:1 ratio fertilizer like 20-20-20 after the plants have grown a little.

The idea behind switching to a lower N rate after the plant has some foliage is to reduce vegetative growth so plants will put more energy toward fruit production, rather than producing new leaves.

Al

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Al, I try to grow as organically as I can.

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.