Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges': Euphorbia characias var wulfenii

Communities > Forums > Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges'
bookmark
Forum: Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges'Replies: 1, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MORNST
Stanwood, WA

April 19, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #7718004

The spurges you describe are all peachy. Gardeners should know that they seed around promiscuously in my zone 7 garden and are a weeding issue at his time of the year. Worse is the powdery mildew issue.

These are mostly all newer "corporate" Euphorbias: vegetatively propagated and pricey for growers to buy and market.

Euphorbia characias var wulfenii has been around for many years. In the early 80's it was one of the "it" plants that everybody wanted. It's evident in pictues of nineteenth century Victorian gardens. It grows (fairly) easily from seed and is outstanding in my garden because of it's unmatched color--Blue!--and it's dramatic form. Sometimes gets as big as a washing machine, but the seedlings are variable. Acid green spring flowers.

Unlike most of the others, especially the Euphorbs with E. amygdaloides in their heritage, it is resistant to powdery mildew. And seedlings are always occasional and welcome.

Garden on.
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2010
2:42 AM

Post #7720209

Powdery mildew has never been an issue for us but I suspect the climate in WA might present a problem. Euphorbia characias var wulfenii is one I would love to have growing in our gardens but the cultivar 'Tasmanian Tiger' has failed twice because this species of Euphorbia is not reliably hardy here. However, I have successfully brought 'Glacier Blue' (another E. characias cultivar) through two brutal winters here so there's always hope!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges' Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very well presented article pirl 7 Jan 26, 2008 2:11 AM
Lovely Shrubs debnes_dfw_tx 3 Jan 28, 2008 5:52 PM
Wow, I'm impressed! darius 7 Jan 26, 2008 8:12 PM
Oh mercy.... Chantell 2 Jan 26, 2008 1:51 AM
Talisman Tiger? bearroadie2 6 Apr 20, 2010 10:46 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America